IT.COM

news NamePros November 2021 – A new website and more!

Spaceship
Watch

NamePros

NamePros.comEstablished Member
NamePros Staff
Impact
Welcome to the new NamePros in November!

Today marks the first step toward a lot of positive and exciting changes coming to NamePros. You'll notice that most of what you loved is still here, and we're working hard to bring back even more.

And that's only the beginning! We'll be bringing you regular updates, sometimes weekly, to add the features you've requested (please vote on features you want to see first!) and improve your experience.

Our mission is to build a thriving professional network around the best community – that's you! – where professionals can engage in civil discussions, ask questions, share advice, partner, transact, and succeed, all together.

We hope you'll have a look around, and let us know what you think!

All our best,

The NamePros Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Social media logins were disabled during the upgrade, as they required manual reconfiguration that we couldn't automate. They've now been configured and should function normally. If you were previously having trouble logging in because Facebook, Twitter, and Google login options were disabled, you should now be able to access your account.

•••
@Paul
We are talking just about the Alert feed...
Push notifications are another story, and it is usually recommended to block them completely in browser's settings (in other words, more safer to live without them).

•••
If you're referring to the old alert system's tendency to update in the background, that was originally a bug in chat, believe it or not.
That's unbelievable 😂 and I so much loved the feature.

•••
@Paul
We are talking just about the Alert feed...
Push notifications are another story, and it is usually recommended to block them completely in browser's settings (in other words, more safer to live without them).
They're the same thing on NamePros. You can block them if you'd like, but that's your choice. In our case, they send less data and are significantly more secure than the polling method that we used to use. Much, much more secure. The old system was heavily dependent on Nginx's unintuitive FastCGI caching feature, which had a lot of security-related "gotchas." Keeping it secure was no picnic.

•••
@Paul
My Push notifications are blocked in Chromium for years...
Prior Chromium they were blocked in Firefox.
And were no any problems with Alerts until this update...
Since yesterday I get only Quoted/Watched alerts and that's all.

•••
@Paul
My Push notifications are blocked in Chromium for years...
Prior Chromium they were blocked in Firefox.
And were no any problems with Alerts until this update...
Since yesterday I get only Quoted/Watched alerts and that's all.
Then that's your choice. I have them blocked for all websites except NamePros. Chromium lets you allow individual websites.

•••
ALL Alerts are enabled in my NamePros Preferences, only Push disabled (or annoying popups).
Your system doesn't send ALERTS, not pushes (they are just for fans or for fun)!

•••
I like the new design especially the Dark Theme

I'm using Firefox + Dark Reader plugin, well it's better and more readable than the dark theme. Give it a try.

•••
ALL Alerts are enabled in my NamePros Preferences, only Push disabled (or annoying popups).
Your system doesn't send ALERTS, not pushes (they are just for fans or for fun)!

Ah, so this is why my reported sales are not being seen much right now. Was wondering why.

•••
Then don't use them. You're aware of the options. The old mechanism will not be returning in the near future, as it requires a complete rewrite in order to meet our security and performance requirements. We will most likely implement it eventually, but it will take time.

Ah, so this is why my reported sales are not being seen much right now. Was wondering why.
Alerts are still working fine. Emails are still going out as normal, and on-site alerts still function. @Jurgen Wolf wants the unread alert counter to update faster without enabling push notifications, which is something we no longer support.

•••
No!
I just want Likes/Thanks/Agree alerts to appear in the Alerts feed (when I click/hover Alerts icon) - where they were always prior this update.

Please don't mix alerts and pushes.

Last edited:
•••
•••
See Alerts feed on screenshot...
Since yesterday it works like never before.

2021-11-03-235710_1920x1080_scrot.png

•••
•••
Except me, at least a few other members sent the same feedback in this thread...
Please don't kill MUSTHAVE features...
Kill something like the misleading pinned posts on top from the prehistoric times.

Last edited:
•••
It doesn't allow you to vote as many times you want. The more established you are, the more you're able to vote.
I just want simplicity and usability.
And forum not for gamers, but for domainers!

•••
@Paul
And as I see, Open Sans font is forced...
Please set just sans-serif in your CSS.
Like it was previously.
My default preferred font in Chromium is DejaVu Sans, and now it is ignored and YOUR Open Sans is forced (which is too narrow font for 16:9 screens).

Last edited:
•••
@Paul

Where can we find our NP$/credit, or have they been put dormant (say it isn't so)?
np-credits.jpg

and can you please give a little clarification of what these up/down arrows are called and used for?
up-down-turnaround.jpg

•••
I love NPs and understand how much of a PITA running a site can be. I hope that you're able to iron out the kinks in your software upgrade.

There are a few things I find frustrating like the lack of pagination at the top of each thread and access to the full breadcrumbs too unless I just can't find those things.

I also am unsure about the meaning of the upvote downvote functionality when there's another way to like/dislike/agree/disagree (as @HotKey mentioned), it was simpler to understand before but maybe it just needs an explanation. Update: Thanks @Jurgen Wolf for pointing out that it has been previously discussed.

Someone mentioned the image upload being new, as far as I have experienced there has been no need for a separate image upload provider for some time... I may be wrong though.

MAD

Last edited:
•••
@HotKey
This DoubleTrouble system for votes was already discussed today, see previous posts...

Last edited:
•••
@HotKey
This DoubleTrouble system for votes is already discussed today, see previous posts...
I did see some mentions to it, but not a proper explanation which is what I would prefer.

Like so far what I gather, they are used to weight a post, and can be done multiple times.. something along those lines. What's the limitations, where do the points come from (from our own point bank to give out, or is an unlimited thing), and also seems as though they aren't tracked and remain anonymous.

•••
There are a few things I find frustrating like the lack of pagination at the top of each thread and access to the full breadcrumbs too unless I just can't find those things.
Depending on the forum you're in, the first post in each thread may be pinned to the top of the page regardless of which page of the thread you're on. When this happens, pagination moves below the first post, but it's still toward the top of the thread. We may end up tweaking that a bit; personally, I'm not keen on pinned first posts.

I also am unsure about the meaning of the upvote downvote functionality when there's another way to like/dislike/agree/disagree (as @HotKey mentioned), it was simpler to understand before but maybe it just needs an explanation.
It has definitely gotten a little more complicated, but we're still tweaking the layout based on feedback in an effort to bring the simpler functionality to the foreground. In case you're interested in how the newer portions of it work, including upvoting/downvoting, we've added a help page.

Someone mentioned the image upload being new, as far as I have experienced there has been no need for a separate image upload provider for some time... I may be wrong though.
We've supported image uploads for a long time, but it should work a little better now than it used to prior to this update.

•••

MAD
Yes it's always been there as long as I remember anyways..

•••
Like so far what I gather, they are used to weight a post, and can be done multiple times.. something along those lines. What's the limitations, where do the points come from (from our own point bank to give out, or is an unlimited thing), and also seems as though they aren't tracked and remain anonymous.
  • At the moment, they don't really weight posts--they behave just like the old system, albeit more granular. Once we've polished it a bit, we might use it weight posts or threads in some capacity.
  • The number of up/downvotes you can give to any single post depends on your own score. The higher your impact, the more votes you can give to a single piece of content.
  • Voting does not subtract from your own points.
  • You can see who offered which quick replies (Like, Thank, etc.) by clicking the number next to any quick reply.
  • I don't believe we've enabled the ability to see how people voted on content for now, but that could change.

•••
Congrats ...

... to your endeavors to continuosly improve as platform, in the following ...

... my opinion (for your team and those who will be interested in reading it) in regards to the redesign, some points may have been mentioned by others already and some members may view some of these points exactly opposite - however, here is my view ...

namePros

- the website has definitely a more contemporary look now

- visually appealing standard font (and icons)

- the "similar threads" section makes sense

- the dark theme option (which looks very good, not all website who have this option implemented look that great with it) and the posibility to change between light mode / dark mode is great

- the permanent displayment of the first (thread creator's) post is definitely a good idea

- a chat function as a thread (why not - it is just an unusual look (much more space, slowed down) but there is actually no disadvantage in it, rather the opposite)

- although a square avatar space (which looked definitely good) has become already more unique these days in the www, I do indeed prefer the round one (as it fits everywhere on the website but mainly because it symbolizes better the powerful potential of our mind)

- ... much more pros, I just don't have time to list them all (as you may know I also have to count tops)

nameCons

- maybe a bit too less visual difference between the different areas (boxes / elements) across the website, they all look a bit too similiar and this can make it difficult in terms of finding the wanted area at first glance, at least (but I assume not only) for new members

- unnecessary complicated post feedback system, a "LIKE" / "DISLIKE" button, a "AGREE" / "PARTLY AGREE" / "DISAGREE" button and a "LOL"* / "ROFL"* / "ROFLOL"* button (* or appropriate emoji buttons) - would make it way easier to understand and use

- no option to save an indiviual color in the color palette ("text color" box) in the editor

- no option to chose the standard font (the "remove formatting" removes all formatting from a (marked) element - so, for instance, keeping an element's color but only removing its font family (to get the standard font) is not possible - this is why the standard font should be listed in the fonts list to chose)

- 3 separate menus for more options in the editor is not necessary (1 menu / click that displays all remaining / additional editing icons would be simpler)

- only 3 "new posts" in the "new posts" box ... is a bit less - instead of displaying only 3 you should display 9 (yes! nine!) and instead of displaying only 5 "popular this week" posts you should display 7 (then there would be 5 "popular this month" threads / 7 "popular this week" threads / 9 "new posts" threads and 5 / 7 / 9 makes a balanced set)

- too large / prominently placed feedback rating element (circle) in the mobile version

- paying members ("Blue / Gold Account" members) should have the option to post their external sales links in a prominently placed box on the website (while "Gold Acount" members should of course be allowed to post them twice the time as "Blue Account" members are allowed to post them (since they pay twice the amount))

- I would prefer some arrow icon instead of the "click to expand ..." in the first post

- in the member's profile in the "about" tab, the informations like "website" / "location" / "skills" / etc., should be displayed at the top (as it was before the redesign) and not at the bottom (as it is now)

- ... of course, all these points are my personal view and just "luxury problems" in some way - however, if you will implement one / some or maybe even all of them with the time and in accordance to other's view, it would be appreciated

... thanks !

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back