Dynadot

MSN scammer!! Offers you to be a moderator, don't give personal data!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
10 min ago [email protected] added me on MSN and offered me to be a mod. He told me he was -RJ- and I believed him. I even gave him my password so that he could verify but just managed to change it!

Jim Westergren says:
Hi
Jim Westergren says:
Who are you?
[email protected] (E-mail Address Not Verified) says:
Hello
Ron joseph
Jim Westergren says:
Ahh RJ
yeah
we change some stff members
Jim Westergren says:
ok
Jim Westergren says:
brb
would you like to be modertor ?
would you like to be moderator ?*

Jim Westergren says:
ok back,wow . hmmm
Jim Westergren says:
What are the duties?
closing repeated threads only
we need 20 min a day
after a 15 dys test you will be pid monthly income
Jim Westergren says:
yes that I can do
Jim Westergren says:
ok
Jim Westergren says:
how much?
oki
$600
Jim Westergren says:
per month?
via PayPal
yeah
Jim Westergren says:
wow
lol
Jim Westergren says:
but then I get to have the full duties right?
Jim Westergren says:
I have to do more work then right
we will mail you all the duties and the rules
kindda
Jim Westergren says:
ok
Jim Westergren says:
and it is it for a specific sections or the whole forum?
the whole forum
let me appoint you rightnow
Jim Westergren says:
one sec
Jim Westergren says:
I am not so skilled in the domain business
Jim Westergren says:
I am more into the SEO stuff
one section only
np
ok
SEO ?
Jim Westergren says:
search engine optimization - how to rank high
alright
wht's your uername on the forum ?
user(
Jim Westergren says:
Jim_Westergren
Jim Westergren says:
But I have a high level of ethics
oki ..
what password you want it to be ?
Jim Westergren says:
jimwseo
Jim Westergren says:
but I would like to get an e-mail with all the details
Sure
this will be
step by step
Jim Westergren says:
good
Jim Westergren says:
I don't want to cover the whole forum
Jim Westergren says:
only some sections
we need to verify your real id
what's your current pssword ..
Jim Westergren says:
xxxx (edit out)
only to make sure you are the rel usernme on forums
you will not
only the SEO section as you requested
Do you have a credit card ?
Jim Westergren says:
one sec
Jim Westergren says:
brb
Jim Westergren says:
ok back

The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:
ok back

He went offline when I told him "brb".

I sent a PM to -RJ- to verify but it is probably not him.

Be aware!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Steveh said:
Very laughable.

It's Ron James, not Ron Joseph.

Plus, his grammatical skills are horrible.

No-one would be dumb enough to fall for this..

Stephen
its obious it says not varified even...

•••
Not being funny but surley you must have realised it was a fraud when he asked what SEO stands for?

RJ running a forum about domains names etc im sure he knows what SEO means :D

•••
Yeah - it was strange for me. It happened so extremely fast. The whole MSN session was maybe 30 seconds. I thought that RJ is desperate in getting a new mod right away ...

Anyway I am sure adsense will not pay that guy after having gotten my e-mails.

And actually I still wonder how he could have that e-mail.

This he wrote himself as a name on the MSN:
"[email protected] (E-mail Address Not Verified)"

And after that was:
"<[email protected]>"

Even the e-mails from NP had the MSN online icon on them - how the hell ...

If you send an e-mail to [email protected] where would it go? To him or NP???

NEW EDIT:

YES!!!

I was able to reset and change the password! I am in and everything is as it should be - just had to change the language back to swedish. And as a bonus todays earnings were high, 4$ so far.

Yes!

•••
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, its more like a jar of jalepenos. What you do today might burn you in the ass tommorrow... says:
AHA!
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, its more like a jar of jalepenos. What you do today might burn you in the ass tommorrow... says:
i know how he did it
Jim Westergren says:
really?
he signed up under RJ's email
BUT
it was verified
Jim Westergren says:
I just managed to come in!!!
Jim Westergren says:
I changed the pass!!
Jim Westergren says:
Was able to reset and change the pass and then come in
its not that hard to do
lol
Jim Westergren says:
Before today it was written that you only can reset one time - well I tried many times and now it worked
signup under [email protected]
then you can be a google 'webmaster'
not very hard but bye
wait
is this jim westergen really?
Jim Westergren says:
saw the post - looks ugly
Jim Westergren says:
me?
Jim Westergren says:
lol
yea
jim westergen
is it you?
Jim Westergren says:
well I think so
Jim Westergren says:
yes
lol
what was my pr on my secret site i told you about a half an hour ago?
Jim Westergren says:
predicted
Jim Westergren says:
don't trust predictions
what was it tho
Jim Westergren says:
look at backlinks
Jim Westergren says:
it was strait from googles info
yeah it was
so it is you
k
lol
Jim Westergren says:
lol
and what script did you get me?
Jim Westergren says:
your post looks for shit .....
WHAT SCRIPT DID YOU GET ME?
Jim Westergren says:
First line:

more like a jar of jalepenos. What you do today might burn you in the ass tommorrow.
Jim Westergren says:

i edited it
Jim Westergren says:
script?
Jim Westergren says:
Are you accusing me of something?
Jim Westergren says:
Do I look evil to you?
lol
no
but what script fif you ge me for 50$
just making sure
Jim Westergren says:
I dont remember .... shit man
Jim Westergren says:
I just paid him
lol
you dont remember?
lol less than a month ago
Jim Westergren says:
I am innocent, pleeeese
and you NEVER say 'shit'
Jim Westergren says:
I beg you
Jim Westergren says:
don't do it
ok
Jim Westergren says:
ok back
Jim Westergren says:
to normal business
one last thing tho LOL!
Jim Westergren says:
was good no that I got the acc back?
what site did you give me a link of pr on
Jim Westergren says:
jimwestergren.com
Jim Westergren says:
made by Jim Westergren
no duh it was
this isnt him
im not a dumbass
LOL
Jim Westergren says:
there are 2 jim westergren maybe
wtf dude
Jim Westergren says:
just kidding
Jim Westergren says:
ok
edit the page and make it say
"IM REAL"
then when i see it
change it back
and when did i submit my link to your directory
Jim Westergren says:
in the last weeks
dude
im not a dumbass K?
i KNOW its not you
Jim Westergren says:
How many web sites do I have?
LOL
you tell me
Jim Westergren says:
20 + 10 new planned + 150 to make next year
rofl
nope
bye

Last edited:
•••
[email protected] (E-mail Address Not Verified)

He's not a new account now....how stupid were you "(E-mail Address Not Verified)"....hmmmm? A Bit Phishy in my opinion :lol:

I just played along and pretended to fall for it...even offered to pay him! I doubt I put him off it, but I told him a load of rubbish about $10,000 fines, etc....

http://www.bandwidthbitch.com/wp-content/gone_phising.txt

Here are the better parts

18:40:25: to ake sure I'm talking to the real id affordahost
18:40:36: what is your existing password, please?
18:41:11: What's yours?
18:41:20: what?
18:41:26: what's your password?
18:41:26: I'm Ron James
18:41:38: user ID, Password and pin number please?
18:41:52: I'm doing it for security reasons
18:41:56: me too
18:42:02: to make sure you are Affordahost
18:42:13: I'm making sure your Ron James.
18:42:33: You are kidding
18:42:35: [email protected]
18:42:42: You are kidding!
18:42:42: ...
18:42:46: [email protected]
18:42:51: AFFORDAHOST.co.uk

and

18:52:31: Anyway, unlike you I have a SOCIAL life. (I was waiting for someone to come pick me up to go out)
18:52:31: you are so funny
18:52:50: help me get a job
18:53:07: i can work as a live support for your website
18:53:32: **** you (him again)
18:53:35: I am funny? You take the icing on the cake! (meaning, why would i hire someone who is A) Phising, and B) just swore at me?)

18:38:29: what password youwant it to be ?
18:39:00: r3t4rd
18:39:02: please
18:39:09: ok
18:39:15: one second

(yeah, and I'm not what my password says!)

•••
Hi everyone,

The other night I logged into MSN messenger I got the pop up asking me if I want to allow "[email protected]" to add me to their list and I said ok and I also have them on my list. I'm not sure if this is a scammer which they probably are, but thought I would ask here. I can't see why any staff members here at NamePros would want to contact me through MSN. This person hasn't asked me for any info such as my password or anything. As a matter of fact this person has never said a word to me yet. I don't trust them at all and will end up deleting them from my list soon. What do you all think?

Thanks,
~Mr. Bone88

•••
[email protected] [email protected] and [email protected] were all used by the attempted phisher. MSN allows you to signup with any email address really. It's a poor security system if you ask me.

If you see "(E-mail Address Not Verified)" next to the address, its not us. In fact, I don't even use MSN except for the rare occasion.

•••
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info. :) I looked at my MSN messenger again right now and looked for the "(E-mail Address Not Verified)" next to the address and it wasn't there. I'm using the latest MSN messenger so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I took a screen shot of it for you to see and it's attached to this post.

Thanks again,
~Mr. Bone88

•••
I'm not positive, but the "not verified" message might just show up in the chat window once you've received a message from them.

•••
Ah, I see. Well, I kind of figured it wasn't you or your staff members trying to contact me. It didn't make sense to me why you or your staff would want to contact me that way instead of contacting me from here. That's what made me suspicious. Thanks for the confirmation, I will go a head and delete them from my messenger now.

Thanks again,
~Mr. Bone88

•••
wow, people find ways to scam. Good that you did not pass your CC info Jim.

•••
I'm sure that RJ has access to his own admin panel?
He wouldn't need to verify someone with their password - how about just do it via NamePro's PM system?
This person who is commiting crimes such as identify theft, fishing, ect, should at least wise up.

•••
For a start you shouldnt trust some one who doesnt have a Verified address because it may mean they cant verify their account becuase it doesnt exist they just regged a fake address with msn!

•••
Romanos said:
How could you belive this? "$600 / Month" + Grammar.

Exactly. The whole not verified bit should've been a dead give away...

•••
•••
Same thing happened on DNF a few months back, got some chat conversations saved from my experience with him/her. Was easy to smell that one as a scam, as I was not even a member on DNF :p

•••
A few thoughts:

1. No matter how easy it looks to avoid falling for a scam (after being revealed), under the right circumstance, most anyone can be had by someone who is good at the game. Gotta stay alert for the tell-signs..

2. When reading about your passwords, I realized how stupid I've been at times. When hiring someone to work on a site (in NP and other places), I would give a temp password to interested parties. Didn't even think of what they might do...or who they were. I just trusted them. Luckily, nothing bad has yet happened. Gotta change the way I do things now, though.

3. Having to distrust most because of the dishonesty of a few is demoralizing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Maybe next time to verify their real person, ask them to PM you on this board with a special words to prove...that's what I do when a board administrator contact me...

•••
I have a feeling the real -RJ- would know what the hell SEO is.

•••
RJ knows what SEO is. We talked about it in chat room just 3 days ago.

Now where can this scammer be found. I want to have a meeting with him. This month my earnings are not so good. So lets catch him and get some Prize money for the wanted guy. I think about:

:::::::::::WANTED::::::::::::
Alive. No dead people please.
Prize : 100 NP$'s
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

•••
PolurNET said:
Why do these people think they can get away with it? Can someone find his IP or something via MSN?

It's probably a banned member anyway who's got a grudge against NP or something

No one can find his MSN, thats why they know they can get away with it.

•••
He tried it on me too.. I just convinced him I had his ip traced and home address..

Admitted to the scam and said sorry haha

•••
just a thought here:
MSN would have sent the verification emails to the email addresses entered, so would anyone who has access to them be able to find out more information about the scammer through the headers sent with the email address? possibly his/her IP, or would that not be shown there

•••
lee101 said:
just a thought here:
MSN would have sent the verification emails to the email addresses entered, so would anyone who has access to them be able to find out more information about the scammer through the headers sent with the email address? possibly his/her IP, or would that not be shown there

No, the emails come direct from MSN.com. He's using the Arabic version of MSN too which make the confirmation/cancellation emails completely unreadable to me. But I can recognize which buttons to push to cancel the account. But as far as clues, the emails contain none, still I think I know who it is.

However, I have a good idea who it is.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back