Dynadot

.mobi .MOBI IS OFFICIALLY DEAD: Read this to find out why...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
just kidding. ;)

Fox News is the most popular news network in the USA. They have recently placed a permanent .mobi ad on the left hand corner of the screen. This advertisement is there 100% of the time and rotates between .COM and .MOBI

Turn on your TV anytime and the ad will be there. I challenge anyone to show me a larger TV station that constantly advertises a TLD other than .com or a popular country code.

screen shot:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z251/anon538855/thedeadmobiTLD.jpg

direct link to live Fox Newscast:
http://freetube.110mb.com/index.php?view=1Zm94bmV3cw

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Jeff said:
That's a good point ... your expectations, then, must have been pretty low of mTLD, IMHO. :red:

the only one i had expectations from was myself. relying on other people/companies is a good way to lose control over a situation.

Jeff said:
Can we agree that the auctioned Premium Domains and the 1 and 2 character Reserved Domains ... must have mandated stand-alone developments with unique and compelling content for those that are "on the go"! :blink:

incorrect.

the agreement that registrants of "premium domains" and 1-2 character domains made was to develop the domains. thats all. there is no rule about redirecting the domain... the only rule is that you advertise the .mobi domain and not it's re-direct.. and i believe this only applies specifically to RFP's which the 1-2 character domains fall under.. but someone correct me if im wrong.

•••
mjnels said:
the agreement that registrants of "premium domains" and 1-2 character domains made was to develop the domains. thats all. there is no rule about redirecting the domain... the only rule is that you advertise the .mobi domain and not it's re-direct.. and i believe this only applies specifically to RFP's which the 1-2 character domains fall under.. but someone correct me if im wrong.

I'd also be interested in clarification on this ... the original January "announcement" of the 1 and 2 character Reserved Domains has since been altered - as I specifically noted here (in highlighted red) in another thread, IMHO. :red:

I think we are agreeing on the auctioned Premium Domains, though, including their stand-alone mandated development (once again, now past deadline). :gl: :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
nrmillions: "Thats funny, i dont know what kind of iphone you have but on my iphone when i go to foxnews.com it show foxnews.mobi at the top of the page." :-/ :red:

lmao

•••
Jeff said:
I think we are agreeing on the auctioned Premium Domains, though, including their stand-alone mandated development (once again, now past deadline). :gl:

no.. again, there is no requirement anywhere that they be "stand alone" sites. many of the auctioned premium domains are past the development deadline and i believe speculators bought a lot of them intending to flip them... bad idea.

but the fact that many of the premium auctioned names arnt developed at this point in time doesnt really affect me. it would be like caring that all your neighbors havnt paid their parking tickets when you dont even own a car.

•••
mjnels said:
...but the fact that many of the premium auctioned names arnt developed at this point in time doesnt really affect me. it would be like caring that all your neighbors havnt paid their parking tickets when you dont even own a car.
:bingo: Ha, great analogy. :tu:

•••
mjnels said:
no.. again, there is no requirement anywhere that they be "stand alone" sites. many of the auctioned premium domains are past the development deadline and i believe speculators bought a lot of them intending to flip them... bad idea.

Can something be fully developed with unique and compelling content ... without being its own stand-alone website? :blink:

And, yes, definitely a bad idea to try to "flip" ".MOBI" domains that have published, mandated development requirements! :red: :imho:

the fact that many of the premium auctioned names arnt developed at this point in time doesnt really affect me. it would be like caring that all your neighbors havnt paid their parking tickets when you dont even own a car.

Respectfully disagree ... as, in my view, it greatly affects an fully developed and promoted .MOBI "ecosystem" (plus, the rules and published dealines & mandates have been broken)! :yell:
It's consequently ... a major credibility issue for mTLD, as well. :rolleyes:

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Can something be fully developed with unique and compelling content ... without being its own stand-alone website? :blink:

it can. it all depends on what people know the URL as. here is a simple test in the case of Fox News' mobile site:

gather a group of people that have visited a particular companies mobile website many times before and ask them "what is the sites address."

you will then know what the majority refer to the website as - and thats really what matters most.

Jeff said:
Respectfully disagree ... as, in my view, it greatly affects an fully developed and promoted .MOBI "ecosystem" (plus, the rules and published dealines & mandates have been broken)! :yell:
It's consequently ... a major credibility issue for mTLD, as well. :rolleyes:

well, its a pick your battles type of deal. im not going around door-to-door asking my neighbors if they're doing anything illegal as long as they arnt out in the street throwing rocks through my window.

credibility issue with mTLD? dude, they have the upperhand RIGHT NOW on ALL of those non-compliant domains and can take them back at anytime without giving a refund.. but they have not done this yet. it shows they would prefer NOT to TAKE domains back.

•••
mjnels said:
you will then know what the majority refer to the website as - and thats really what matters most.

So, the ".MOBI" is about branding ... not its technology? :|

well, its a pick your battles type of deal. im not going around door-to-door asking my neighbors if they're doing anything illegal as long as they arnt out in the street throwing rocks through my window.

credibility issue with mTLD? dude, they have the upperhand RIGHT NOW on ALL of those non-compliant domains and can take them back at anytime without giving a refund.. but they have not done this yet. it shows they would prefer NOT to TAKE domains back.

So why did mTLD even publish firm development requirements (with deadlines) ... for these auctioned (including former RFP) Premium Domains? :red:

Thanks for the assist.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:

anybody that ever said it was about technology was confused.

its a TLD... how would that have anything to do with technology?

Jeff said:
So why did mTLD even publish firm development requirements (with deadlines) ... for these auctioned (including former RFP) Premium Domains? :red:

probably so as many people as possible took them seriously and developed the domains like they wanted.

but its hard to make mTLD look "greedy" when they have every right to take back several domains with absolutely no refund and they have not done this with even 1 domain yet.

•••
mjnels said:

There is some confusion ...
It has been said that the technology of the thinned-down version unique to the ".MOBI" is better than viewing a full & rich website (on the .COM) on one's iPhone™ while out and about and "on the go", IMHO. :blink: :|

probably so as many people as possible took them seriously and developed the domains like they wanted.

But this unique and compelling development, by and large, has still not occurred (past two deadlines), in my observation. :guilty:

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
There is some confusion ...
It has been said that the technology of the thinned-down version unique to the ".MOBI" is better than viewing a full & rich website (on the .COM) on one's iPhone™ while out and about and "on the go", IMHO. :blink: :|

you seem to be one of the confused ones. its a TLD... there is no technology involved in the TLD.

Jeff said:
But this development, by and large, has still not occurred, in my observation. :guilty:

so? this doesnt affect me, you, or anyone else but mTLD and the person who owns the domain.

your original argument was that mTLD auctioned off the names out of "pure greed".... so why havnt they re-possessed them and just auctioned them off again? their contract states they can do this.

•••
Jeff said:
-Jeff B-)

Voila....By George, I do believe you've got it chap!

:p

The compliance issue is the biggest battle they face, IMHO. They have to weigh looking like heavy handed TLD dictators VS the overall good of the extension. The extension does need compliance, but I believe the original time frame issued was a little too conservative. It's my understanding that Mtld has been / are in communication with the holders of these premium names and are working with them to resolve any issues. I'm quite pleased to see they are flexible enough to work with people vs the alternative of exercising their legal rights to simple take back the names.

Don't really know how many mobi's you've developed Jeff, but I can tell you...it takes time. Lot's of time. The more "unique and compelling"...the more time....something you seem to have plenty of. You could really help out the ecosystem greatly by developing one or two yourself. You'd be amazed at what you could develop utilizing a small percentage of the time spent grasping for answers you'll never get. It might be just what the Dr. ordered to keep your mind fresh and post count down. Heck, you might even prosper from your efforts ;)

•••
mjnels said:
so? this doesnt affect me, you, or anyone else but mTLD and the person who owns the domain.

Of course, it affects anyone owning or potentially interested in an ".MOBI" ... prices have dropped minimum 85% - 90%+ in part due to the fact that there seems to be little credibility left in extension and its earlier promises to ensure mandated developments within published deadlines, IMHO. :guilty:

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Of course, it affects anyone owning or potentially interested in an ".MOBI" ... prices have dropped minimum 85% - 90%+ in part due to the fact that there seems to be little credibility left in extension and its earlier promises to ensure mandated developments within published deadlines, IMHO. :guilty:

-Jeff B-)

ok, it does affect a person that wants a particular non-compliant domain and has actual plans to develop it.

but it doesn't affect .MOBI owners in general.. trust me, I am one. :p

the decline in aftermarket prices was inevitable once a bubble was created in late 2006... to me, this is just common sense.

•••
mjnels said:

its a TLD... how would that have anything to do with technology?
There is a technology component to .mobi considering carriers whitelist .mobi when they decide to deploy transcoding in their network. Mobi sites pass through untouched while other sites that are not whitelisted will be hosed.

•••
So... anybody sees value in these 2-letter .mobi names ? :talk:
If .mobi is the wave of the future you should really a put up a convincing plan and try to grab one.

I would gladly book a flight to Icann offices if I could get a LL.com for free (almost) :blink:

Last edited:
•••
scandiman said:
There is a technology component to .mobi considering carriers whitelist .mobi when they decide to deploy transcoding in their network. Mobi sites pass through untouched while other sites that are not whitelisted will be hosed.

true. but i keep my answers to Jeff verrry simple.

•••
scandiman said:

I'm sorry to interrupt this (oh-so-riveting) conversation but are there any networks really involved in doing this?

Do you have a link or something? I'd love to read more about this. :gl:

•••
Jeff said:
the unknown ".MOBI" and its failure of mass adoption because mTLD has failed to ensure its developed (stand alone) "ecosystem", IMHO. :guilty:

-Jeff B-)

Hi Jeff, just a quickie, who is the expert that quoted ".mobi and its failure of mass adoption because mTLD has failed to ensure its development?"

I assume this person is an expert for him/her to be so knowledgeable about .mobi

Does this expert work for mTLD?

What official qualification does this expert have?

Is this expert qualified in .mobi matters?

And where can i get one of these qualifications to become an expert?

As always i love your input.

:loveyou:

•••
•••
I can't say it enough that we need more developed .mobi's.

THIS is a realistic thought: If I had areallycoolsite.com and wanted to make it shorter for ppl "on the go," I might consider ARCS.mobi... but with this arguement, I'd have bought ARCS.com, too. So .mobi does have some usage forwarding but not as much as some ppl might think. Going with my earlier posts, this wouldn't help anyway if the average mobile user had never even heard of the extension.

•••
Yes...we need more developed .mobi to support theis extension...

•••
newsiness said:
godaddy.mobi redirects to http://www.godaddymobile.com/DomainSearch.aspx

wondering why those big companies do not stick to .mobi instead of redirecting....:(

ive wondered this too.. a guess of mine is to assure people they are on a legit godaddy site. but as far as i know godaddy doesnt even advertise their .MOBI domain anyway so the only people that really know about the site's existence are domainers.

with Fox News its a different story - they actually advertise the .mobi site everywhere and its the only one they use.. its on TV the entire day for about 10 seconds per minute.

•••
mjnels said:
ive wondered this too.. a guess of mine is to assure people they are on a legit godaddy site. but as far as i know godaddy doesnt even advertise their .MOBI domain anyway so the only people that really know about the site's existence are domainers.

Unless I read an ad somewhere discussing the legit usage of it, I wouldn't trust a site like, say, godaddymobile.mobi The reasons should be obvious

•••
lzy said:
I'm sorry to interrupt this (oh-so-riveting) conversation but are there any networks really involved in doing this?

Do you have a link or something? I'd love to read more about this. :gl:

PM on it's way with the link to another forum...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back