IT.COM

.mobi .MOBI IS OFFICIALLY DEAD: Read this to find out why...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
just kidding. ;)

Fox News is the most popular news network in the USA. They have recently placed a permanent .mobi ad on the left hand corner of the screen. This advertisement is there 100% of the time and rotates between .COM and .MOBI

Turn on your TV anytime and the ad will be there. I challenge anyone to show me a larger TV station that constantly advertises a TLD other than .com or a popular country code.

screen shot:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z251/anon538855/thedeadmobiTLD.jpg

direct link to live Fox Newscast:
http://freetube.110mb.com/index.php?view=1Zm94bmV3cw

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi!

noonoo1 said:
As always i love your input.
:loveyou:

^ Thanks, noonoo ... great to see you, as well! :)

Regarding the posted quote (generally the ".MOBI" being unknown, its faillure of stand-alone development and mass adoption (after nearly three years!), and the neglect (failure to enforce the mandated development requirements of previously auctiond Premium Domains and the abandonment of the RFP process and the critical fully developed "ecosystem", etc.), those are my opinions ... and I know that I'm not alone in some or all of these thoughts, IMHO.

What are your thoughts ... tired of simple "redirects"? :blink:

I'm not sure who can officially bestow an .MOBI Expert™ badge upon another ... but I guess the kind folks (Caroline, in particular) at mTLD may know the best route to acquiring one, humbly.
I could always make one with a marker, scissors, and gold-colored sheet of paper. :music:

Glad all's well, and have a safe and happy St. Paddy's Day! %%-
I'm off now for some Guinness™ and corned beef & cabbage!

See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Once people realise what you can do with .tel it will kill .mobi

•••
•••
vanex said:

Seriously? Once people realize that you can do NOTHING with .tel it'll kill .mobi? D-:

•••
seems logical to me.

stop questioning these things... do what you're told.

•••
Hey tomorrow is 1st of April :laugh:

•••
sdsinc said:
Hey tomorrow is 1st of April :laugh:

i will buy your .tel portfolio if you buy mine.

•••
Dead or Alive?!?

vanex said:

^ Time will tell, IMHO. :blink:

The ".MOBI" and the highly brandable .TEL are different, but they do share space within the greater Mobile Web™ - the former - with some VERY MUCH needed leadership and assistance from mTLD - to enforce & ensure unique and compelling stand-alone mobile development / content / websites ... and the latter, in the case of the highly brandable .TEL which seems to provide quick & easy access to vital contact information for those that are out and about while "on the go"! :talk: :imho:

Investment dollars :$: have flowed from the .MOBI -- >> to the highly brandable .TEL in my observation, and as a reminder on a somewhat related matter: :gl:
I may soon be discussing, and more specifically blogging, on some of these same matters as they relate to the small ".MOBI" niche, alternative extensions such as the highly brandable .TEL (as well as new gTLD's; including the highly memorable .WEB), and the greater Mobile Web™ in general - some pretty exciting stuff and ongoing concepts / recent developments ... if the stars all line up properly ... in which I hope to be making an announcement shortly. :talk:

See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
.mobi versus .tel

Once you register .tel you can have your site ready to go in a few minutes.
No hosting and no web developer required.
It is a beauty and it's CHEAP

•••
vanex said:

I don't like .mobi... I like .tel less. Waaaaaay Less!

Tell me how a stillborn extension, (redundant to the nth degree) like .tel, can kill an established (albeit stuggling...OK...some might say on life support) extension like .mobi.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous and tunnel-visioned statement I've ever seen on namepros.

Can the .tel mob get their own section so we don't have to read this dribble when we go to other parts of the forum? _\|/_

•••
Archangel said:
I can't say it enough that we need more developed .mobi's.

THIS is a realistic thought: If I had areallycoolsite.com and wanted to make it shorter for ppl "on the go," I might consider ARCS.mobi... but with this arguement, I'd have bought ARCS.com, too. So .mobi does have some usage forwarding but not as much as some ppl might think. Going with my earlier posts, this wouldn't help anyway if the average mobile user had never even heard of the extension.
That's the problem that I'm facing: .mobi is being cybersquatted. Obviously people looking to develop their sites into .mobi will want their site names abbreviated, for easier access on actual mobile phones - this only makes sense. Otherwise, if you can't get this abbreviation on .mobi, why have a .mobi domain? Might as well just make it m.yourdomain.com like Google did, or something of the sort...

For example, I'd love to have egs.mobi to develop my site but it's being sat on by some doctor who doesn't even use the domain. It makes me mad. mTLD has not kept word on their regulations & policies as I had hoped.

On a side note, there is the .ph ccTLD for the Phillipines that comes with a $38/year pricetag, but hell I could brand it as .ph for .phone and make egs.ph :p

Hmm..

•••
For all the .mobi nay-sayers:

http://www.hosterstats.com/Detailed-mobi-Statistics-2009.php

The .mobi will probably move back into positive growth in the next few weeks. The important lines are the green (new registrations) and orange (deletions). The net difference as of 01/April/2009 is -509 domains.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
EGS said:
That's the problem that I'm facing: .mobi is being cybersquatted. Obviously people looking to develop their sites into .mobi will want their site names abbreviated, for easier access on actual mobile phones - this only makes sense. Otherwise, if you can't get this abbreviation on .mobi, why have a .mobi domain? Might as well just make it m.yourdomain.com like Google did, or something of the sort...

For example, I'd love to have egs.mobi to develop my site but it's being sat on by some doctor who doesn't even use the domain. It makes me mad. mTLD has not kept word on their regulations & policies as I had hoped.

"some doctor who doesn't even use the domain" is miles apart from cybersquatting. The fact someone else has a domain you want for free doesn't make them a cybersquatter, it means they beat you to it, plain and simple. I'd expect better understanding of cybersquatting in a domain forum instead of ignorant statements like this.

•••
jmcc said:
I see dropping totals, what exactly counteracts naysayers?

jmcc said:
The .mobi will probably move back into positive growth in the next few weeks.
I'll take that bet if you're offering odds :D Not that i personally believe that any extension is bad, just keywords and tld matching is different for each extension.

And as far as .tel is concerned, i can only see one logical use for it and don't think .mobi should even be bothered by that at all, not even the same space tbh.

Last edited:
•••
EGS said:
Might as well just make it m.yourdomain.com like Google did, or something of the sort...

m.google.com
m.yahoo.com
etc.
For branding consistency and efficiencies (not having to register and then host & maintain a separate and unknown ".mobi" domain name and website), most top corporations have indeed chosen this preferred option of using their respective "M Dots", IMHO. :gl: :talk:

mTLD has not kept word on their regulations & policies as I had hoped.

You're right, mTLD - documented, over the course of three years - has done little to actually enforce development requirements and compliance mandates (or ensure its signature "trustmark") ... and this fundamental breakdown and lack of faith has trickled down reflecting in the 95%+ drop in domain name prices and lack of necessary developed "ecosystem" and adoption/awareness! :guilty: :imho:

It may not be 'dead' yet, but it's clearly no more, or will even be more, than a small niche/vanity extension for a few enthusiasts, in my view. :red:
Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Samit said:
I see dropping totals, what exactly counteracts naysayers?
The rate of deletions is decreasing and the rate of new registrations is increasing. The .mobi TLD is moving out of the Junk Dump phase. This is when a TLD will begin to grow again if people have confidence in it. The failure of the .mobi that many nay-sayers seem to be betting on was based on a collapse of new registrations and increasing numbers of deletions. What the stats show is that the numbers of new registrations did not collapse even at the peak of the deletions. I think that .asia will be far closer to that collapsing new registrations model.

I'll take that bet if you're offering odds :D
I'm just going with what the figures show. :)

Regards...jmcc

•••
mjnels said:
just kidding. ;)

Fox News is the most popular news network in the USA. They have recently placed a permanent .mobi ad on the left hand corner of the screen. This advertisement is there 100% of the time and rotates between .COM and .MOBI

Turn on your TV anytime and the ad will be there. I challenge anyone to show me a larger TV station that constantly advertises a TLD other than .com or a popular country code.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Fox News dumped their old .mobi logo for TheFoxNation.COM :)

•••
SDX said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Fox News dumped their old .mobi logo for TheFoxNation.COM :)

i was waiting for somebody to say this.. and actually, they dumped the .COM from the logo as well.

it just says "the fox nation" now... no .COM.... no .MOBI

•••
fox.mobi was a hotpotch before , some links went to the .com etc

now it is a stand alone developed site on the .mobi :kickass:

Fox.mobi

•••
mjnels said:
i was waiting for somebody to say this.. and actually, they dumped the .COM from the logo as well.

it just says "the fox nation" now... no .COM.... no .MOBI

Yes, they don't actually show the ".COM", but its understood ;)

•••
SDX said:
Yes, they don't actually show the ".COM", but its understood ;)

oh.

•••
Pred said:
fox.mobi was a hotpotch before , some links went to the .com etc

now it is a stand alone developed site on the .mobi

Fox.mobi

Righto, with FOX.com prominently at the top, and ©Fox.com 2009 at the footer! :guilty: :red: :imho:

See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Righto, with FOX.com prominently at the top, and ©Fox.com 2009 at the footer! :guilty: :red: :imho:

See you soon.
-Jeff B-)
Funny how they still have '.mobi links' though!

•••
hawkeye said:
Funny how they still have '.mobi links' though!

^ So, as I've been saying for years, it IS ABOUT stand-alone development and not simple redirects ... and also not, as posted earlier here in this thread by an enthusiast; "it is about the branding" (otherwise the header and footer wouldn't be FOX.com's), correct? :blink: :snaphappy:

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
^ So, as I've been saying for years, it IS ABOUT stand-alone development and not simple redirects ... and also not, as posted earlier here in this thread by an enthusiast; "it is about the branding" (otherwise the header and footer wouldn't be FOX.com's), correct? :blink: :snaphappy:

-Jeff B-)

i agree its a nonsense to have the logo as the com

BUT it IS a stand alone developed site on the Fox.mobi domain

whereas before it was little all over the place

now, i would also like to see the logos change. it's something they will or won't do. what we say or think won't change that. unfortunately

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back