NameSilo

information Sony is trying to avoid paying $10,000 to buy Crackle Plus domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dhyinc

Goldenpass.comEstablished Member
Impact
Part of launching a streaming video service is owning the domain name with which most viewers can reliably expect to find the service via the web. For instance, it could be considered a smart move for Netflix to own, say, Netflix.com, or for HBO to own HBOGo.com. For Sony-owned Crackle, however, it appears getting ownership of the domain name behind its upcoming Crackle Plus premium offering is proving a bit difficult, if only because the gigantic mega-corporation doesn’t feel like paying $10,000 to secure it from the person who already owns it, according to a report from Variety.

CracklePlus.com is owned by a Pakistan resident named Muhammad Abdullah, who registered it in October 2017. Without divining his intentions — Variety reached Abdullah by email, who said he wanted “to start my own entertainment website” — it seems clear that there’s an intention to sell the domain for the right price. The website advertises the Crackle logo and is asking for $10,000 — that’s about as cut-and-dried as it gets.

sold its stack to Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (CSS Entertainment), the media arm of the consumer goods and self-help brand that started as a series of books back in the early ‘90s. Sony and CSS now have a joint venture under the name Crackle Plus that will include a premium version of the streaming service as well as Popcornflix and other media-related ventures.

It’s not clear how they arrived on the name Crackle Plus or what the reasoning is there, as the service is said to remain free and continue to focus on ad-supported video streaming. But there may be some original content and Sony Pictures Television-owned properties, so it could be an effort to make it appear more robust in the vein of Hulu Plus and Apple’s new branding for its Apple News and Apple TV services. But the first step is acquiring that domain name. For Sony and CSS Entertainment, $10,000 feels like a fair price to secure your trademark and website.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now for sale at $150,000 😲

•••
Read the blog comment on crackleplus....

"When you own something valuable with big potential, don't allow yourself to be pressured by multimillion dollar companies that threaten lawsuits if you don't sell it to them at a low price. If they sue, counter-sue them."

•••
Why would they need this lame "plus" name if they have crackle.com?

•••
I don't think changing price from 10k to 150k will do any good to the seller. Unethical behavior can be used against him very easy.

•••
I see a UDRP soon on this one.

•••
Why would there be a udrp

•••
•••
Why would there be a udrp

If the lawyers and sony want the domain name and the guy wont budge they could just take him to court. The UDRP process is simple they have to show he registered in bad faith and looking for profit based off the their brand. Which is you look you can see that. The court will then give the domain name over to sony and the current owner is up with legal fees.

This is about as cut and dry as you can get since the domain was registered in 2017 and crackle started in 2003/2004.

Now if you look at the domain name its listed for 150k and clearly points to sony and crackle to buy the domain name.

•••
•••
As I said before...

Sony does not need the name when they have crackle.com, they just need to create a subdomain or a folder.

ie....

plus.crackle.com

or

crackle.com/plus

•••
I agree they do not need the name, and why reward a cyber squatter? Its sleaze like this that gives domainers a bad name!

•••
If the lawyers and sony want the domain name and the guy wont budge they could just take him to court. The UDRP process is simple they have to show he registered in bad faith and looking for profit based off the their brand. Which is you look you can see that. The court will then give the domain name over to sony and the current owner is up with legal fees.

This is about as cut and dry as you can get since the domain was registered in 2017 and crackle started in 2003/2004.

Now if you look at the domain name its listed for 150k and clearly points to sony and crackle to buy the domain name.
Thanks for the info. I have a query, if a trademark is registered in some country in 1998 and the domain gets registered in 1999, and the domain has several trademarks afterwards in many countries...does it mean the first trademark gets access to the domain...

•••
I need some legal help on one of my acquisitions pls...please pm me in private if you can help

•••
If I have a domain say silverarrow.com and the domain was registered in 2001, subsequently after many years a large corporation uses the same name with lesser domain. If they approach me for the domain that I hold, can I quote any price I am comfortable with or the corporation can file a cyber squatting case...the word is not trademarked. advice please from the experts here...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back