IT.COM

strategy Missed a great opportunity in LLL.com flip...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ramkumaritrvs

Happiest man in the worldTop Member
Impact
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The question is "How much were you going to get and how much was GoDaddy going to secure for themselves?".
I suppose they steer they buyer to another domain name they control if you aren't working out.
Yes, I thought right away that's what probably happened. I had so many thoughts going through my head and one of them was that maybe they just showed the buyer other options 😰

•••
Thanks for your sharing. IMO, I think that the broker he has a lot of experience to close a deal, he knows who buyer is and they can afford the price or not, that's why he directly wants to reduce the price in order to reach an agreement with the buyer. I have a good story with the Afternic's broker, I received an offer at $7,680 for one of my domains and I said my non-negotiable price was $15,800 but the broker told me that he could get a better one for me , finally he helped me to close the deal at $18,888. He could do this because he knew the buyer had enough money to ask for.
Oh I see. Yes it makes sense. Maybe that is what he was trying to do right away. I learned a big lesson from that experience. I think a veteran domainer wouldn't lost that sell.

•••
Seems like a bit of a risky move, especially with a name of such high value. The problem IMO with this strategy is your not selling to any old enduser, your probably selling to someone who knows the value of the domain. So when they see this offer do some research, and end up finding the sale which is obviously going to be cheaper then you are charging and they pull the trigger.

•••
You opened up. there are many people who do this and done before. I know one :xf.smile:

No harm in doing this as far as you are going to buy a domain.
That’s why all my domains point to my landers, and if there is no price, I’m making sure I’m not dealing with a bad player like this by asking inconvenient questions.

•••
•••
These guys been front running namejet, and godaddy auctions for sometime. This is their business model, all the bang, without any investment. Prior many years godaddys landing page simply said expired, had no auction links, but having an auction link, a keen end user can bypass these type of clowns, but they also screw other bidders in losing out, or having to pay more by tipping the drop on the auction. Good for the house, bad for you.

Namejet has the worst of it with many high profile auctions being put into legal jeopardy, as well as end user bad faith even before you own it, and to walk into having all your leads burned with shady activity is never good. You ever wonder how an end user stumbles upon your landing page link right after you acquire a name, most of the time it’s not luck, but they finally opened their spam, or looked into the front running email they got to later.

This issue is a black mark on the domain industry, it doesn’t get mentioned to often, but somehow this community based PRO program really needs to remove that badge as this person is not handling themselves as such. It almost makes the PRO badge seem like a sham.

Last edited:
•••
These guys been front running namejet, and godaddy auctions for sometime. This is their business model, all the bang, without any investment.

This is the first time we tried as my team head shared his idea. I never involved as you accused, in any other platform.

It is very surprise for me that many people involving in this model by hidden.

Do not accuse anyone without having the proof :facepalm:

•••
FA85AF2D-DD1E-4459-AF77-67367D739703.jpeg
This is the first time we tried as my team head shared his idea. I never involved as you accused, in any other platform.

Don’t tell me the difference between right, and wrong, and this bs team head domain sweatshop you run.

Your team head whatever that means, who manages a team of dick heads thought of this bright idea all on his own, and you backed it... let’s take someone’s potential 6 figure asset, go pimp it outline like a cheap hooker for the first John to take the bait, and we will take our pimp take with no one the wiser.

Do you know how many things had to go right for you to pull this off?

Just as you don’t fear legal reprise, of causing damage to someone’s property, neither do I from you. You, and your team head are free to sue me for slander of your tarnished name, and reputation.

Here is an idea, let’s take all your crap names, and spam them to low level end users, and see how you like it? Can you ask Team Leader Dick if this is a good idea?

From what I read it takes 3 PROS to request the removal of a PRO badge, so hopefully 3 PROS here will make this notion to Namepros, someone get this guy a Bozo Badge.

Last edited:
•••
This issue should be over by now. It's now becoming an harassment.

•••
It’s a wake up call, reality check, he only came here to talk about it because he thought he was a Slick Rick in almost pulling it off, and had he, he would have done it again. Maybe next time with a name you possibly own, and then he would tell all his team
Lead dick head friends, and they would all be doing it.

Last edited:
•••
He wants to sell something that he doesn't owns, everybody goes against him.
He tracks emails without consent, nobody bats an eye.

The double standards of namePros!

Even in Murica is unethical from a legal point of view

Tracking email isn't unethical. The only consent required is the receiver opening the email.

No different than using caller ID.

•••

Your failure was the best possible outcome for the domain owner. Selling something you don't own without permission is fraud. Lying about your legal right to sell a domain is not only fraud but tortious interference - imo.

•••
Tracking email isn't unethical. The only consent required is the receiver opening the email.

No different than using caller ID.

Thanks for the heads-up! I will start inserting pixels in comments and PM's.
You did give me consent when you opened the thread, right?

•••
He is buying the domain name not going to steal from the owner.

It could be just me that think it OK no one need to agree with me.

I don't think that's an ethical position. Especially if you're representing a registrar. Does your employer condone this behavior?

•••
Not defending anyone or anything, Just mentioning the fact that everyone in the thread condemning a "admitted", bad action, quite harshly... would at the same time, do the same, worse, or maybe a little better, yet nontheless, an unethical action, to earn money... while all thats needed is a Not cool, please dont repeat.

A generalization like this is wrong. TBH, it only implies that you'd do this if you had the opportunity. But saying all other domainers would if they had the opportunity to do something unethical is blatantly wrong. (I definitely would not front-run even if I had the opportunity)

•••
Already sent enduser to his domain and he got more $$$$$, so no flowers needed. Btw, i didn't knew seller's email because whois got updated.
Send an email to the owner's whois private email address. Ask him to send you his phone number or his physical address. Call him and tell him the situation and then get his address and send him some flowers and a small note letting him know how sorry you are, if he sends his phone number. If he sends you his address, then don't worry about calling him, just go ahead and send the flowers with the apology. Get back to me if he doesn't respond to you in a week or so.

•••
95 percent of offers at Sedo are like this, someone trying to buy and sell a domain which they don't own. Maybe also true for other marketplaces. Solution: require a small refundable (except in case of cheating) payment for bids. They rarely buy and when they buy they rarely pay. Honest domainers are victims. And marketplaces and brokers can play any dirty game because only sellers' info is public, buyers are protected ! I suspect GD does it all the time, and Sedo allows it to happen, and Sedo itself also does it sometimes.I receive a price request , I make a reasonable response, and there is no more reaction, and it gets dropcaught after 6 months andsold for a higher price than my asking price. Someone not happy with commission alone, and want to get the whole amount , minus dropactching cost, and can wait for 6 months to make this happen; because endusers are idiots and only trust GD, or their corrupt registrar.

Last edited:
•••
Front running is a common practice in this slimy industry.

I had it happen on deals multiple times with people in the industry that most of you look up too.

It only happens with higher end names so most wouldn't experience it.

I caught more then one red handed in the act. Just had it happen last month with a one word .com.

These industry idiots try to sell my names to my friends before closing the deal.

I get phone calls saying "blank is trying to sell me your name".

Stupid is as stupid does.

But Im sorry, if you think this is a limited practice of just a few....your wrong.

I could call out people that would blow your minds....

But....I wont.

Welcome to the domain world.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Front running is a common practice in this slimy industry.

I had it happen on deals multiple times with people in the industry that most of you look up too.

It only happens with higher end names so most wouldn't experience it.

I caught more then one red handed in the act. Just had it happen last month with a one word .com.

These industry idiots try to sell my names to my friends before closing the deal.

I get phone calls saying "blank is trying to sell me your name".

Stupid is as stupid does.

But Im sorry, if you think this is a limited practice of just a few....your wrong.

I could call out people that would blow your minds....

But....I wont.

Welcome to the domain world.

This is just like someone saying I sold a domain for $XXX,XXX but it's under NDA so I can't give any details!

You have to share now. You can't just come in here spouting BS and not backing it up. Some of us are going insane staying inside. We need some dirty laundry! Blow our minds.

•••
Here after a while,
and now I see those so called PRO members starting threads to whine about missed opportunities when their unethical operations to profit from stuff they don't own don't end up successful.
Namepros never ceases to amaze me.

•••
Nothing to see here.

Finding a buyer before you purchase a domain is a sensible business decision.

As far as I'm concerned domaining is 'grey-hat' so calling out others for being unethical is pretty rich.

•••

Searching / Finding endusers is not a problem but contacting / outreaching them without own that asset is bad.

•••
Yes and no. On the face it would seem smart. But it depends on how it is done.

Telling a potential buyer that you have the domain to sell them or otherwise making a claim that you are or represent the owner is 100% wrong!

Telling a potential buyer that the domain name is or may be for sale and offering your services to represent them and negotiate with the seller on their behalf, where it is explicitly clear you are not the seller nor representing the seller is completely acceptable in my book.

I have no idea how the OP was doing it but many times those who do this take the dishonest route of acting as if they are the owner or they represent the owner and when they do it can cause problems for the real owner.

As far as I'm concerned domaining is 'grey-hat' so calling out others for being unethical is pretty rich.
There is NOTHING inherently Greyhat about domaining. Like selling anything else there's the right way (whitehat) of doing so and the wrong way (blackhat) of doing so.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't get why your sharing it...

And you are regretting of missing a sale... where as you are doing some shady practices... unethical and totally unacceptable to anyone.

Sharing is very funny...it just shows your bad business practices.

Sorry to say but it is truth.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back