Dynadot

advice Domain Selection Strategies: A Small Realization

NameSilo
Watch

David Day

Upgraded Member
Impact
Hello everyone.

I hope you're having a lovely day. I was reviewing domains to add to my portfolio, and it briefly hit me not too long ago, that because of my experience with outbounding domains, I now have a clearer view of what to look for when picking names. My filter for domains that sound cool to me vs domains that are more marketable is more resolute and has a sharper definition because of my experience in this endeavor of trying to market them.

To any beginners in the domain industry, I recommend you try to outbound a few of your names, in your head even. Simulate the process. What I mean by this is, when you think you found the one name that will be easy to flip, create a scenario in your head, and ask yourself:

would I be able to make this a business?
put your feet in the shoes of the business owner. How much would I pay for this in the time of a financial crisis?

The more you lean into your example, the better you're going to quickly realize if that name has potential.

Of course this is still a little subjective but something that has helped me was to add [email protected] and read it in my head:

would I be able to outbound with this name?

Could I professionally communicate the value to someone?

Could I use it as a business and it would have a clear message as to what I'm selling?

Do I even know my audience, and how I'm going to bring money back to my hands?

The family test:
Try telling your family about your acquisition, (in your head), would your family be proud? Would they understand the market appeal? Would it be something they could remember?

There are plenty of other questions, but I'll leave this for the post for now. I hope this helps. I wanted to share this in the moment of realization.

As far as my successful outbounds, all of them had some kind of personal touch in the direct outreach. But the successful outbounds also let the domain name speak for itself. They had a clear industry targeted and the domain was less abstract, just in my limited experience.

Wishing the best,
David

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks, David, your post was very insightful

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back