IT.COM

strategy Missed a great opportunity in LLL.com flip...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ramkumaritrvs

Happiest man in the worldTop Member
Impact
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You must send the owner some flowers and an apology right away!

Already sent enduser to his domain and he got more $$$$$, so no flowers needed. Btw, i didn't knew seller's email because whois got updated.

•••
It's called front running and I agree with what @wurdd has said.

Also on one side you if you @ramkumaritrvs agree of doing it purposely and also admitting it doing by mistake and on the other hand you post title says "Missed a great opportunity" which shows that if this trick had worked, you wouldn't be thinking of doing anything wrong and called it a successful strategy?

It's good you openly shared in public and one have to have the courage to do it which is a nice thing to do but I was surprised to see this coming from a very experienced domain investor like you.

•••
All our emails are traceable. We using hubspot, snov and few others. with / without consent is depends upon the tracking companies policy.

And when the shit will hit the fan Hubspot with his lawyers will wash his hands: "The user can can toggle on and off the tracking feature"/"Do you want us to write their emails so they don't break the law"

•••
you wouldn't be thinking of doing anything wrong and called it a successful strategy?

Yes, May be. That's why god saved me from earning bad karma's by loosing sale.

I was surprised to see this coming from a very experienced domain investor like you.

Everyone do mistake. I accept and learnt a lesson lately:xf.sick:

•••

Everyone do mistake. I accept and learnt a lesson lately:xf.sick:

Yes, we all make mistakes and learning from those mistakes and not repeating is a good thing and as I said earlier, you'd the courage to openly admit which I appreciate you for it.

Best wishes! :xf.smile:(y)

•••
Already sent enduser to his domain and he got more $$$$$, so no flowers needed. Btw, i didn't knew seller's email because whois got updated.
You will find him. And yes, you must send flowers and apology right away! This is very freaky juju.

•••
You cannot expropriate karma for yourself. This is basically a Trumpian action! You must send the domain owner some flowers and an apology. Please, sir!

•••
All our emails are traceable. We using hubspot, snov and few others. with / without consent is depends upon the tracking companies policy.

So a general question to ask here, how are emails are traced (or tracked?). Is it done via a script embedded in the email, or a tiny hotlinked image,..?

•••
So how did you approach the potential end users exactly?

Where you representing yourself as the domain owner, or acting on behalf of the owner as a broker?

Brad
Whichever way you swing it, it's illegal and unethical. IMHO.

Others are free to think differently

•••
You opened up. there are many people who do this and done before. I know one :xf.smile:

No harm in doing this as far as you are going to buy a domain.

No harm in doing this? Are you kidding me? Come on man,

•••
No harm in doing this? Are you kidding me? Come on man,
He is buying the domain name not going to steal from the owner.

It could be just me that think it OK no one need to agree with me.

•••
We all make mistakes .....but look on the bright side , you still won regardless of the outcome because it gave you the opportunity to learn

•••
This is front-running and one of the ABSOLUTE worst things you can do in this industry.

Especially on high value assets like you are discussing.

This could easily end up with legal action taken by various different parties including the rightful owner OR even worse the parties that you out-bounded to.

Tell me I'm missing something here @ramkumaritrvs ? This practice is completely unacceptable.

EDIT: I can now see Ram has apologized in the thread. Hopefully lesson learned never to do this again.

Last edited:
•••
He is buying the domain name not going to steal from the owner.

It could be just me that think it OK no one need to agree with me.
Did @Epik.com not give you a brief lesson in the basic code of ethics in our industry prior to making you an ambassador for their brand?

•••
Sale happened but we missed to earn from it due to the poor attempt that my team went..

I see $21k price on LLL .com (in private firm) but it will worth more. i interested to acquire and then trying to outbound but my team head suggested that we will do outbound, once get any lead then we will proceed to acquire @ $21k.

Almost spent 3 days to find potential endusers and outreached them. One of the company opened our mail 10+ times yesterday but didn't received any reply from them.

when checking the domain now, it got sold :(

Seller must sold @ morethan $21k because we asked $75k in outbound. Seller didn't aware of this outbound & sale but got benefit from my teams poor strategy.

Great lesson learnt now.

P.S: Just sharing the above as a test case. It may be helpful for someone in future.
How do you know they opened the mail more than 10+ times?

•••
Not here to defend, but....

Let me just briefly mention that most everyone in here condemning hes action, would at the very same time given the opportunity, purchase a 3L.com at $5k without thinking twice... (from anyone, end-users and domainers alike), full well knowing that you are taking an asset for far less then what he could get if he went to market, then, you call yourself smart. At the very same time you would also not blink to think, and accept $7k from a different domainer on one of (any) your domains, even thou you know full well you paid $500, and havnt had an inquiry in 3 years...and that chances are next to 0 he will make a profit and likely just be stuck with the name forever.

Other then the fact that front-running can legally backfire on the current owner, i would see no difference to the 2 examples above. The industry is clustered with somewhat edgy, somewhat ethical, ethical, and clearly unethical behaviour. Admitting to what likely falls into the later could also be seen as admitting a mistake.

And if you just so happen to be one of those few, (prob 10 at the most).. Domainers that have never made a lowball offer, never sold for what is clearly too much to a different domainer, never done any front-running (be it between 2 domainers)... or any other action that someone somewhere might condemn or see as unethical, then cheers, Hats off.

•••

Let me just briefly mention that most everyone in here condemning hes action, would at the very same time given the opportunity, purchase a 3L.com at $5k without thinking twice... (from anyone, end-users and domainers alike), full well knowing that you are taking an asset for far less then what he could get if he went to market, then, you call yourself smart. At the very same time you would also not blink to think, and accept $7k from a different domainer on one of (any) your domains, even thou you know full well you paid $500, and havnt had an inquiry in 3 years...and that chances are next to 0 he will make a profit and likely just be stuck with the name forever.

Other then the fact that front-running can legally backfire on the current owner, i would see no difference to the 2 examples above. The industry is clustered with somewhat edgy, somewhat ethical, ethical, and clearly unethical behaviour. Admitting to what likely falls into the later could also be seen as admitting a mistake.

And if you just so happen to be one of those few, (prob 10 at the most).. Domainers that have never made a lowball offer, never sold for what is clearly too much to a different domainer, never done any front-running (be it between 2 domainers)... or any other action that someone somewhere might condemn or see as unethical, then cheers, Hats off.
I am more worried about email tracking haha

•••

1.) You own the asset and can do as you please.

2.) You do not own the asset. You are not contracted to represent the asset. You pitch it without permission.

There is a major difference.

Brad

•••
Can’t believe you thought it was ok to even try this 🤦‍♂️

•••

That's the worst analogy I've ever seen. And, yes you're defending front running domains, too.

Last edited:
•••
Other then the fact that front-running can legally backfire on the current owner,
Your "other than the fact" is actually ALL the difference in the world.

What would have been more acceptable in my books is if he had made the outbound pitch with a very clear indication that he is not the owner.
(Although in this case it wouldn't have made sense if there was a public BIN on the domain.)

Whichever way you swing it, it's illegal and unethical. IMHO.
Unethical I agree totally. But just wondering what the specific law(s) you're referring to? I'm not at all saying there is or isn't any .. just curious, as it's one aspect of domain/transactional law I'm less familiar with.

Last edited:
•••
That's the worst analogy I've ever seen. And, yes you're defending front running domains, too.
Not defending anyone or anything, Just mentioning the fact that everyone in the thread condemning a "admitted", bad action, quite harshly... would at the same time, do the same, worse, or maybe a little better, yet nontheless, an unethical action, to earn money... while all thats needed is a Not cool, please dont repeat.

•••
Not defending anyone or anything, Just mentioning the fact that everyone in the thread condemning a "admitted", bad action, quite harshly... would at the same time, do the same, worse, or maybe a little better, yet nontheless, an unethical action, to earn money... while all thats needed is a Not cool, please dont repeat.
So everyone is guilty here? That's what you're saying?

•••
Unethical I agree totally. But just wondering what the specific law(s) you're referring to? I'm not at all saying there is or isn't any .. just curious, as it's one aspect of domain/transactional law I'm less familiar with.

It really depends how the domain was represented. I have seen this in the past were a party says they are the owners or make other misleading or false claims. Depending how the domain was represented you could have legal issues.

Also, regardless of any criminal laws you could sue civilly for actual and punitive damages that resulted because of the actions of another party, for instance a dispute or legal action you had to defend. In my view you would have a very strong case there.

Of course most of the people doing this either have limited assets, or are in areas where it is going to be extremely hard to collect any judgement.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
So everyone is guilty here? That's what you're saying?
Nope, im saying, if they already admit it, tell them its wrong and give em a break. Especially if the ones ranting against it, (90%+) of them, turn around and do no better, just cause it aligns with their own view of morality.

Lets get back on topic. Imo,
Please dont do this, it can be harmful to the current domain owners, and if you dont own the domain its not yours to sell unless you have permission to do so.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back