IT.COM

Microsoft and xbox.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cco

Account Closed
Impact
Just noticed that xbox.net is owned by someone other than Microsoft. This surprises me, but I'm a newbie to this business, so maybe one of the vets here can explain why MS hasn't taken back their trademarked name...??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thats an interesting observation. trademarks....dangerous game to play with the biggies:lol:

•••
The bottom (disclaimer) of the site may offer some suggestions/reasoning as to why Microsoft may not pursue the matter, IMHO.

Copyright 2003 Xbox.net
Xbox is a registered Trademark of the Microsoft corperation. We are not in anyway affiliated with Microsoft or any other video game developement agency. We love Microsoft's Xbox and our mission is to get an Xbox into every persons hand as soon as possible, that is the purpose of this site.

B-)

•••
That is a nice site they built for xbox. I think as long as they have the disclaimer at the bottom and are selling xboxes and puting money in M$crosofts pocket all is ok.

•••
Yea I would agree with Dawg. As long as youre not negatively affecting them. It is free advertising for MS.
MS also owns xbox.com, of course.

•••
Dawg very well put! I completely agree with you!

•••
I saw the disclaimer, but I have to admit, it still surprises me that MS would not grab the domain. If I were them, I'd be concerned about letting someone else control my identity on the web. Too risky IMHO.

•••
If I where them I would take it away from the owner...

•••
well i think its just more business for microsoft :)

•••
Can you explain?

Originally posted by Elefekt
well i think its just more business for microsoft :)

•••
well the xbox.net is a well established site. they are bringing more people to get xbox's meaning more business for microsoft. microsoft is getting another site advertising their product without the cost for servers or anything

•••
yeah I was on a forum once and I think the owner still has it developing it. He said he got the domain before Xbox even existed.

•••
Couple things... from the getgo Microsoft has encouraged "fan sites" for Xbox. When Xbox was launched they were supporting the development of these kinds of sites by third parties so it wouldn't suprise me if they had MS's full blessing.

Other thing, Microsoft didn't start using the 'xbox' mark until 2000-2001. Xbox.net was registered a year before that time. Registration date could have been a factor here.

•••
so there is no TM infrigement? encourage by microsoft??

interesting thots:tri:

•••
MS could file a UDRP complaint and probably get the name without much trouble, especialy if he sells xbox games, etc..

I doubt they want it though.

•••
i think long as they own .com they dont care and it brings more fans

•••
Interesting issues raised here. As for bringing more business, visitors, etc., why wouldn't microsoft just run the site themselves. They could probably do a better job, given their resources. As for the cost of running the site, I doubt this is an issue for Bill Gates :laugh:

I agree that they might want to encourage fan sites, but I'm still surprised that they would let one exist using their trademark domain. My point is that even if they gain a little traffic or business from the site, the risks outweigh the rewards here. They are allowing someone else to control their copyright .net domain rather than controlling it themselves.

But hey, they're allowing it, so I guess you guys are right :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back