Dynadot

discuss Domain expired since October, but hasn't dropped.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm looking at a .com domain that has expired since early October 2023, but it hasn't dropped and is still operational. More than one domain and I have seen it happen before with other domains. Why does this happen?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm looking at a .com domain that has expired since early October 2023, but it hasn't dropped and is still operational. More than one domain and I have seen it happen before with other domains. Why does this happen?
Are you referring to domains in your registrar account that are expired, that you expected to drop off your list but still remain after all these months?

If so, you can ask the registrar to delete it from your panel Note though, that one previous registrar I used still took many months to finally drop the expired and unwanted domain from my account---despite multiple requests to remove it. Odd, indeed!

Last edited:
•••
Are you referring to domains in your registrar account that are expired, that you expected to drop off your list but still remain after all these months?

If so, you can ask the registrar to delete it from your panel Note though, that one previous registrar I used still took many months to finally drop the expired and unwanted domain from my account---despite multiple requests to remove it. Odd, indeed!
The domain is actually one where I'm waiting to catch. I checked the whois and it has already expired in October, but still hasn't gone into redemption.

Very odd. Though sometimes the domain looks like it is still in your panel, but may already have been dropped?

•••
What's the domain status when you do a whois lookup?

Seems odd, it was probably renewed after expiration.

•••
In my case, the domain was defintely not renewed after expiration. I kept pleading with customer service to finally delete the long-expired domain.

I kept clicking to delete, which didn't work. It was a ".org." In fact, after another customer service conversation, I accidentally clicked to delete the ".com" on my portfolio. I called customer servce again, and they immediately wanted over $100 to restore that ".com" version. Fortunately, the did allow that to be restored without cost, as I had explicitly asked multiple times for the other listing to be removed, without success

At some point, they did eventually eliminate the long expired ".org" from the list.

•••
In my case, the domain was defintely not renewed after expiration. I kept pleading with customer service to finally delete the long-expired domain.

I kept clicking to delete, which didn't work. It was a ".org." In fact, after another customer service conversation, I accidentally clicked to delete the ".com" on my portfolio. I called customer servce again, and they immediately wanted over $100 to restore that ".com" version. Fortunately, the did allow that to be restored without cost, as I had explicitly asked multiple times for the other listing to be removed, without success

At some point, they did eventually eliminate the long expired ".org" from the list.

There are multiple registrars who fail to delete an expired domain from the backend. Dunno why, it is what it is.

Circling back to OP, an expired .com would most definitely expire, enter grace renewal, put on hold (restore), then enter pending delete.

Whois should reflect the status, the query is registrar independent.

Last edited:
•••
I've seen this happen with other domains too. It really comes down to the rules and extra time that domain registrars give, and how the whole system for domain names is set up. First off, when a domain's time runs out, it doesn't immediately become free for someone else to take. Registrars usually give a bit of extra time, called a grace period, to let the original owners renew their domain even after it's supposed to end. This extra time can be different but is often between 30 to 60 days, depending on the registrar. If the domain isn't renewed after this extra time, it then goes into a redemption phase. In this phase, the original owner can still get their domain back, but it's going to cost a lot more. This phase usually lasts about 30 more days.

•••
I've seen this happen with other domains too. It really comes down to the rules and extra time that domain registrars give, and how the whole system for domain names is set up. First off, when a domain's time runs out, it doesn't immediately become free for someone else to take. Registrars usually give a bit of extra time, called a grace period, to let the original owners renew their domain even after it's supposed to end. This extra time can be different but is often between 30 to 60 days, depending on the registrar. If the domain isn't renewed after this extra time, it then goes into a redemption phase. In this phase, the original owner can still get their domain back, but it's going to cost a lot more. This phase usually lasts about 30 more days.
How long does it usually take for an expired domain usually to be automatically removed finally from a registrant's panel?

•••
What's the domain status when you do a whois lookup?

This is the current status. Not only is it expired, but it is still fully operational and accessible as well:

domainnamewhois.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Interesting, it shows October 2024. Everywhere else I checked, says 2023. I guess they're not updated?:
Indeed. You might consider filing a bug report.

Last edited:
•••
How long does it usually take for an expired domain usually to be automatically removed finally from a registrant's panel?
The duration for an expired domain to be automatically removed from a registrant's panel can vary depending on the policies of the domain registrar. Typically, after a domain expires, there is a grace period during which the registrant can renew the domain without any additional fees. This grace period can range from a few days to several weeks, depending on the registrar.

•••
Interesting, it shows October 2024. Everywhere else I checked, says 2023. I guess they're not updated?:

"Updated 1 second ago", lol

Whoever is running whois.com is the source of unending confusion. If I got a penny for every time someone insisted the [whatever info] about the domain was accurate because they checked it in the "official" whois (whois.com), I would have a very heavy bag of pennies by now.

•••
"Updated 1 second ago", lol

Whoever is running whois.com is the source of unending confusion. If I got a penny for every time someone insisted the [whatever info] about the domain was accurate because they checked it in the "official" whois (whois.com), I would have a very heavy bag of pennies by now.

They cache their results and show the data from the last query performed on a domain, up untill a couple of days. You can always hit the refresh icon, limited to once every half hour.

It makes sense... Preventing hitting a rate limit for whois queries.

Anyway... Best advice is, don't use a (any) registrar to perform whois lookups.

Use ICANN or a whois client.

•••
That's why I don't use any website to check whois, rather use the command line GNU whois tool.

It uses whois API of internic.net and other core whois servers without caching.
So the results are always up-to-date.

•••
You can DM me the domain, sometimes I also have think that some domains expired but they did not, Godaddy even uses such things as below to confuse us domainers, must ask ICANN if it's allowed this info to be shown by their rules.

1. Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
2. Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
3. Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
4. Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited

However I have learned how it looks when domain is expiring even at Godaddy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back