NameSilo

Importance of new TLD .gdn?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it must be cheaper in the longrun to buy all the extensions at reg fee than waste vast amounts of time and money defending their brand in pointless udrp cases

•••
@dordomai @platey well in that case the theory proposed that if google buys .gdn the world will buy it not right. It is obvious that big brands will buy these tlds to protect their trademarks only. Most of these I stated were bought through Mark Monitor and it is known for brand protection only. I bet you cannot name a big brand that is actively using new tlds as the driving force for their online business.

I did notice though that some do redirect. I just checked Amazongdn redirected to Amazoncom
In short, these big brands are themselves making registries and coming out with their own extensions.

This means that new gtlds have a real future. Only time will tell which one will be successful and recognized globally but that doesn't mean that other not so popular one will fail. I think time has changed and people will eventually stop relying on just one mainstream tld IMO

•••
~9.5 months elapsed already since GA - show me at least 1 serious .gdn-website (non-Chinese)...

•••
@dordomai @platey well in that case the theory proposed that if google buys .gdn the world will buy it not right. It is obvious that big brands will buy these tlds to protect their trademarks only. Most of these I stated were bought through Mark Monitor and it is known for brand protection only. I bet you cannot name a big brand that is actively using new tlds as the driving force for their online business.

I did notice though that some do redirect. I just checked Amazongdn redirected to Amazoncom
In short, these big brands are themselves making registries and coming out with their own extensions.

This means that new gtlds have a real future. Only time will tell which one will be successful and recognized globally but that doesn't mean that other not so popular one will fail. I think time has changed and people will eventually stop relying on just one mainstream tld IMO

i assumed some gdn s were bought to defend brands and the amazon redirect is possibly only used as on the basis that ic they have to buy every gtld to defend their brand they must have come to the conclusion that they might as well make dome use out of the unwanted gtlds they have to buy and use them as
redirect s

•••
I'm gonna be the odd man out on this one despite all the negativity, continue growing my list of LLL.gdn domains when I can find them at reg fee! :xf.wink:

•••
~9.5 months elapsed already since GA - show me at least 1 serious .gdn-website (non-Chinese)...

you have to look into your spam folder.. plenty of .gdn websites there ;)

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I don''t see any value in .gdn ... why should i use this instead of .xyz? yeah .gdn comes from global domain name... so ?

•••
I don''t see any value in .gdn ... why should i use this instead of .xyz? yeah .gdn comes from global domain name... so ?

I agree they need a lot of branding like .club or xyz but it does not mean that it is a bad extension. There are more then 1100 tlds out there my friend and I think the top 25 will be the most important ones for the future. I think the top 25 can all be categorized as brands. One brand is better than the other or some people like one brand and the other people like something else. Just like we have xbox lovers who hate PS or viceversa. They all have their own market. Some like adidas while other prefer nike and say adidas is shit. its the same concept here.

•••
.gdn stands for global domain name. what does xyz stand for. will you buy pepsi.xyz, apple.xyz or pepsi.gdn or apple.gdn if its a brand.

•••
•••
•••
.easier to remember, what does gdn(global domain name) mean to someone in a restaraunt? Nothing, its just 3 letters that are more difficult to remember. Like lgbt or whatever it is, it has meaning but worthless

•••
generation xyz comes to mind. So you are generation gdn, good for you

•••
xyz is more generic, everyone remembers the last three letters from the alphabet.

•••
Piracha.gdn
We cannot take out china out of the equation as well. 70% of all new tlds are bought by chinese therefore chinese website have higher percentage. If China is out so is the whole TLD business the way it is right now. XYZ, CLUB, VIP they all got ther chinese certfication done recently and now have physical office there.

•••
I don't factor china into anything. If thats the case go buy 5L.com
China non existent, enough people in the rest of the world.
Chinese food ya

•••
xyz is more generic, everyone remembers the last three letters from the alphabet.
so you are saying .com is less generic since people dont remember three random letters? therefore xyz is better to remember then a .com?

•••
I don't say its better than com, never said that. I only said that xyz is more generic than gdn

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back