IT.COM

Importance of new TLD .gdn?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't factor china into anything. If thats the case go buy 5L.com
China non existent, enough people in the rest of the world.
Chinese food ya
The stats say otherwise therefore we have to count it in unless its your personal opinion. The industry is running of facts and trends and not personal opinion.

•••
people assume its .com unless otherwise noted. Not same for gdn

Yes this is all opinion. I pick .vin or .win over gdn anyday too

•••
if you believe those numbers from chinese like .top better go buy into bitcoin asap

•••
Namesilo doesnt even touch gdn, its that bad. You can snag a lgtb for $33 there though

.vin is down from 40$year to $6.99
still to much

•••
I don't say its better than com, never said that. I only said that xyz is more generic than gdn
if by more generic you mean it has higher registration out of all the tlds that yes it is but registration numbers dont matter. Also, on the technical stand point all gtlds are same. I guess xyz is doing better branding therefore more people know about it but then it has been out for 3 plus years now. gdn is only a year old. So lets see

•••
people assume its .com unless otherwise noted. Not same for gdn

Yes this is all opinion. I pick .vin or .win over gdn anyday too
so you are saying people think xyz is .com now where did that come from. who in the world will think that. do you have any stats or research that justifies it? or this is also your opinion?

•••
so you are saying people think xyz is .com now where did that come from. who in the world will think that. do you have any stats or research that justifies it? or this is also your opinion?

People assume a domain is .com since it has been around for a while.They dont assume when you say go to Namepros is awesome place, that you meant namepros.gdn They will type .com at end
Where you get that I think people think xyz is com i dunno
but this conversation is grade 3 mentality.
All above is my opinion, no one elses.
And that is a fact.

•••
if you believe those numbers from chinese like .top better go buy into bitcoin asap
China has bought around 1.95 million xyz domains and is on top. The second one is USA with 221,000 domains. A huge difference.

China has bought 150,000 gdn domains and is on top. Second one is USA with 100,000 plus domains registered in USA. Percentage wise GDN is better results in USA with almost 35% domains registered compared to xyz at 7%. I think GDN is not entirely focusing on Chinese market. Thats smart. It also means gdn is more likely to have better response in USA as compared to china. This is something i did not even know and did research to get to this @mad409 this one's for us...interesting

•••
People assume a domain is .com since it has been around for a while.They dont assume when you say go to Namepros is awesome place, that you meant namepros.gdn They will type .com at end
Where you get that I think people think xyz is com i dunno
but this conversation is grade 3 mentality.
All above is my opinion, no one elses.
And that is a fact.
opinions are never facts. and whenever you tell someone a website they assume it .com and first type in .com not any other tlds. .com will always be on top they have 30 plus years behind them and trillions of website. Domainers also like .com and not these new tlds because they have invested so much in it and have inventory sitting to be sold. In short, people dont even assume .xyz is like .com because the general population dont know about xyz just like they dont know about gdn, club, top etc etc etc. It will take time. we know about it because we jumped into this industry otherwise we would have not known about it too.

•••
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

China has bought around 1.95 million xyz domains and is on top. The second one is USA with 221,000 domains. A huge difference.

China has bought 150,000 gdn domains and is on top. Second one is USA with 100,000 plus domains registered in USA. Percentage wise GDN is better results in USA with almost 35% domains registered compared to xyz at 7%. I think GDN is not entirely focusing on Chinese market. Thats smart. It also means gdn is more likely to have better response in USA as compared to china. This is something i did not even know and did research to get to this @mad409 this one's for us...interesting

Chinese bought a lot of 5L.chips too. The gdn extension has no importance except those that spent money on it.
Show me amazon, google any large company using .gdn
abc.xyz

•••
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Chinese bought a lot of 5L.chips too. The gdn extension has no importance except those that spent money on it.
Show me amazon, google any large company using .gdn
abc.xyz
Refer to my yesterday's post where I did research and concluded apple, microsoft, amazon, facebook, and some other brands all have registered .gdn domains. A big brand buying a new extension justfies nothing. someone posted yesterday that if google buys .gdn the world will buy it and completely disagree with it. Big brands buy it to protect their trademark. So if they bough the brand names in club, xyz and gdn it means these extensions have future value and potential. You can go to whois.com and check these brands as that is what I did.

•••
so they have defensive registrations. Your theory is flawed(my opinion):singing:
This extension will fail miserably because it has no meaning except to domainers. :xf.cry:
.Top is superior to gdn
Quote me:xf.grin:

•••
so they have defensive registrations. Your theory is flawed(my opinion):singing:
This extension will fail miserably because it has no meaning except to domainers. :xf.cry:
.Top is superior to gdn
Name one brand that registered xyz other then google that is not a defensive registrations. Also, brand protection is evolving and ever important, registrars like Mark Monitor, Ascio and CSC are thriving on defensive registration so there is nothing wrong about it. GDN or any other tld is not marketing or branding for defensive registrations therefore these registrations are purely based on a brand's preference other wise they would have protected their brand in all 1100 plust tlds but did not because they protect themselves with the ones that are important.

I never said gdn is better then top or xyz All I am saying that they are all brands and people give preference to one than the other IMO just like people like Apple Phone vs Android phones or vice versa doesn't make one brand o and the other a hero. It about people preferences. Talking about preferences as per stats on namestat.org, GDN has higher preference in USA with 35% registered domains compared to xyz with just 7%. This means GDN is a better brand in USA and XYZ is a better brand in CHINA.

•••
I never said gdn is better then top or xyz All I am saying that they are all brands and people give preference to one than the other IMO just like people like Apple Phone vs Android phones or vice versa doesn't make one brand o and the other a hero. It about people preferences. Talking about preferences as per stats on namestat.org, GDN has higher preference in USA with 35% registered domains compared to xyz with just 7%. This means GDN is a better brand in USA and XYZ is a better brand in CHINA.

Not it means that for some reason more speculators and spammers from China bought .xyz but we don't know why.

Hint:
It probably to do with the fact that the xyz registry paid many large registrars to promote their domains on their website!

Actually gdn has no meaning other the meaning that was given to it by the registry. No one knows about this so for society it has no meaning.

.xyz are the last 3 letters of the alphabet so it means something to most people.

.com does not mean anything to most but most know that it is the default extension for websites so it has a really important meaning for everything internet related.

.gdn has no development and thus no people preference.

.gdn competes against many other short extensions like .cx, sx, cc, .tl, .im, .to and many many others.

It is worse than most of these so it is so bad that it will never get good prices on the aftermarket.

This means GDN is a better brand in USA and XYZ is a better brand in CHINA.

.gdn is NOT a brand because no one knows about it and it has no meaning. You would have to promote it heavily so that everyone knows about it(and remembers it).

This won't happen. Try to make people remember what .gdn means. Most will not care or forget it. To make it a global brand you would have to invest hundreds of millions in advertising at least or more.

.xyz has at least some potential as a brand because everyone has learned the sequence XYZ at school. At least people can remember it.

That doesn't mean that it is well known as a website ending but at least there is something about it that people know and understand.

Last edited:
•••
.Top is superior to gdn

at least .top means something :xf.grin:

Maybe this is the reason why it is ahead of .gdn in the spam charts. even spammers want something meaningful for their emails...

•••
Not it means that for some reason more speculators and spammers from China bought .xyz but we don't know why.

Hint:
It probably to do with the fact that the xyz registry paid many large registrars to promote their domains on their website!

Actually gdn has no meaning other the meaning that was given to it by the registry. No one knows about this so for society it has no meaning.

.xyz are the last 3 letters of the alphabet so it means something to most people.

.com does not mean anything to most but most know that it is the default extension for websites so it has a really important meaning for everything internet related.

.gdn has no development and thus no people preference.

.gdn competes against many other short extensions like .cx, sx, cc, .tl, .im, .to and many many others.

It is worse than most of these so it is so bad that it will never get good prices on the aftermarket.

.gdn is NOT a brand because no one knows about it and it has no meaning. You would have to promote it heavily so that everyone knows about it(and remembers it).

This won't happen. Try to make people remember what .gdn means. Most will not care or forget it. To make it a global brand you would have to invest hundreds of millions in advertising at least or more.

.xyz has at least some potential as a brand because everyone has learned the sequence XYZ at school. At least people can remember it.

That doesn't mean that it is well known as a website ending but at least there is something about it that people know and understand.

Every generic extension is usually given a meaning & purpose. NIKE did not mean anything but it was given meaning. Adidas mean nothing but it was given meaning. Just like this gdn and xyz were given meaning. The reason is they want to brand it. I agree they are not branded at this moment but the vision is to give them meaning. GDN dictionary meaning ( an acronym for Gangster Disciple Nation) and XYZ means Examine Your Zipper. dot Com means commercial.

According to your statement if dot com did not mean anything then these new gtlds are in really good shape because they actually have been given to them by registries :xf.wink::xf.wink::xf.wink: hahaha.

But I don't understand why would xyz pay registrars to promote in CHINA more then in USA. And by the way I think every registry spends marketing money with registrars. When I said GDN has better reception and acceptance in USA as a brand I mean it is known better by US market then xyz. But again its too early.

•••
It's not to early
It's to late :banghead:

•••
@Frank Demitri

I hear you the chart continues to climb with .gdn, daily. https://ntldstats.com/tld/gdn

Honestly I have no clue what the future holds with any extension whether it's legacy, ccTLDs, or new G's but investing in short LLL.gdn domains doesn't bother me at all. Or even short one word if it's not priced too high.

This industry changes on a dime, I'm bullish on this one. :xf.cool:

•••
.gdn is global domain name and is based out of Dubai-UAE

I have petrol.gdn

and you?

•••
.gdn is global domain name and is based out of Dubai-UAE
On their site is address:

GDN Registry FZ-LLC (JSC NIS Subsidiary)
Building 14th, Office # 107
Dubai Internet City,
P.O. Box 111230,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

•••
it is not as popular among the other tld's such as .xyz, etc

•••
It may be based everywhere... nobody knows...
Dubai is just used as offshore...

•••
@Frank Demitri why are you so protective of this new gtld? Are you paid by the registry to advertise it? Just curious, read all the posts and that is the feeling that i get. It's nothing wrong with being paid to advertise something, don't get me wrong, but this is just going only on one direction.

•••
@cipcip Not at all. Haha. Funny. I would rather buy .club and .xyz but I like .gdn and have to protect it. I am new in this and the first one I bought was gdn and have seen a lot being discussed or talked about it. I try to justify with facts therefore and not opinions. There are a lot of people that protect gdn here not just me.

•••
But how is popular and discussed this thread...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back