IT.COM

Importance of new TLD .gdn?

NameSilo
Watch
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not as popular as many new g's but it's currently ranked #15 last I checked.

Although I've not received any spam from this extension it appears they need to work on that as they're ranked #5 but then again .top is ranked #2.

If you get any .gdn spam report it here, this will help them out:
[email protected]

I've only invested in LLL.gdn domains but I like them and the extension. Might gain in popularity some day, ya never know.

The best thing about this one is that it's totally generic like .xyz IMO..

•••
Maybe, it is important for some Chineses...
For other endusers: ~0.00 importance and popularity.

•••
•••
•••
•••
The HUGE problem is this TLD is that it's hard to remember. It stands for "Generic Domain Name" or "General Domain Name" .. but in all honesty 99.99% of the general population have no idea what it stands for ... as such they have no basis to remember the letters a few hours after seeing it. They're just as likely to remember Domain.GND or Domain.NGD instead of Domain.GDN .. unless there's a special meaning for China I don't think this TLD has much hope of going anywhere! :(

The one positive .XYZ has going for it is that it's easy to remember (although I'm still not a fan of it and think it's more of a junk TLD) .. lol

•••
The HUGE problem is this TLD is that it's hard to remember. It stands for "Generic Domain Name" or "General Domain Name" .. but in all honesty 99.99% of the general population have no idea what it stands for ... as such they have no basis to remember the letters a few hours after seeing it. They're just as likely to remember Domain.GND or Domain.NGD instead of Domain.GDN .. unless there's a special meaning for China I don't think this TLD has much hope of going anywhere! :(

The one positive .XYZ has going for it is that it's easy to remember (although I'm still not a fan of it and think it's more of a junk TLD) .. lol

Actually it means Global Domain Name, shorter than .Global.

•••
More exactly it means: Gambling Domain Name... ))))

•••
•••
This time is usually 1 year and game over.

•••
Look everything is a gamble, even .com so probably no debate here unless ya want one.

•••
We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of risk:

Very Low
Low
Medium
High
Very High (and .gdn is in this group definitely).

Last edited:
•••
But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?
More exactly it means: Gambling Domain Name... ))))
It stands for "Generic Domain Name" or "General Domain Name"
Actually it means Global Domain Name, shorter than .Global.

LMAO ... and there you have it .. this thread kinda proves my point that if even in a domainer forum most people have no idea what .GDN means after it's been around over a year .. then what hope is there for the general population to catch on? This TLD certainly was a huge "Gamble" !!! lol

•••
Very Low
Low
Medium
High
LMAO ... and there you have it .. this thread kinda proves my point that if even in a domainer forum most people have no idea what .GDN means after it's been around over a year .. then what hope is there for the general population to catch on? This TLD certainly was a huge "Gamble" !!! lol

It's really generic, a way to connect therefore it's merely your opinion. How many people know .io in the domainer world is input output? That's what sold it, not Indian Ocean.

Last edited:
•••

Very Low
Low
Medium
High

Thanks for your "pro" risk potential. :)

•••
It's really generic, a way to connect therefore it's merely your opinion. How many people know .io in the domainer world is input output?

I think you missed what I meant in my original post .. people don't really need to know what IO stands for .. it's memorable .. usually visitors add the .io verbally in their head when they read it .. as such it becomes easier to remember. Same goes for most repurposed TLD's like .co and .tv as they are far more memorable .. .cc isn't really the same as those .. but being a double repeating it's super easy to remember. .GDN really isn't memorable in any way I'm sorry to say! :-/

•••

Very Low
Low
Medium
High

We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of potential reward:

Very Low (and .gdn is in this group definitely)
Low
Medium
High
Very High

Same goes for most repurposed TLD's like .co and .tv .. .cc isn't really the same as those .. but being a double repeating it's super easy to remember

.cc is the best alternative IMO. shortest and easiest to remember. The Chinese understand that.

Last edited:
•••
if Google bought a .gdn domain the world would want a .gdn domain

i won't be rushing to buy one tho

•••
Rather than posting to everyone that thinks .io is easier for people to remember than .gnd is just blowing smoke, thanks for the laugh..

It's all about seo/promotion, got the cash they will remember it.

Look at all these name.whatever.whatever domains..

Come on..

Last edited:
•••
The importance factor of a tld?

An interesting question, maybe not what you were actually asking though.

Importance for a brand to have the .gdn is 0, given a scale of 0 to 100 say. And 0, given a scale of 1,000. And so on..... absolutely zero worth for any business to own a .gdn.

•••
We can classify all TLDs into 5 groups in terms of potential reward:

Very Low (and .gdn is in this group definitely)
Low
Medium
High
Very High

.cc is the best alternative IMO. shortest and easiest to remember. The Chinese understand that.

Do you even own domains?

•••
The importance factor of a tld?

An interesting question, maybe not what you were actually asking though.

Importance for a brand to have the .gdn is 0, given a scale of 0 to 100 say. And 0, given a scale of 1,000. And so on..... absolutely zero worth for any business to own a .gdn.

Another pro, honestly why are you all trying to give advise on something you really have no clue what the future holds?

I can remember .io but I can't remember .gdn? Give me a break and go pick on a newbe as you call them..

•••
.io is brandable (rememberable), because it sounds (thanks to vowels)... for example, say: oliv.io
.gdn brandability is ~0.00

Last edited:
•••
.IO is brandable (rememberable), because it sounds (thanks to vowels)... for example, say: oliv.io
.gdn brandability is ~0.00

Thats just stupid, sorry.

•••
Back