IT.COM

Importance of new TLD .gdn?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys.

Now when many new TLDs appears, one of them is .gdn
In Dynadot registrar this is cost just one dollar. But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The HUGE problem is this TLD is that it's hard to remember. It stands for "Generic Domain Name" or "General Domain Name" .. but in all honesty 99.99% of the general population have no idea what it stands for ... as such they have no basis to remember the letters a few hours after seeing it. They're just as likely to remember Domain.GND or Domain.NGD instead of Domain.GDN .. unless there's a special meaning for China I don't think this TLD has much hope of going anywhere! :(

The one positive .XYZ has going for it is that it's easy to remember (although I'm still not a fan of it and think it's more of a junk TLD) .. lol

•••
But whats importance and popularity of this TLD between others?
More exactly it means: Gambling Domain Name... ))))
It stands for "Generic Domain Name" or "General Domain Name"
Actually it means Global Domain Name, shorter than .Global.

LMAO ... and there you have it .. this thread kinda proves my point that if even in a domainer forum most people have no idea what .GDN means after it's been around over a year .. then what hope is there for the general population to catch on? This TLD certainly was a huge "Gamble" !!! lol

•••
The question is why would someone want to brand their business on a TLD that is not relevant and meaningful.
Imagine you have a business, you print out some business cards to hand out to your contacts, and people keep asking what the gdn at the end means ?
Possible answers:
  • "it was $1 only" (we are cheap)
  • "I don't know" (you don't know but you put your online business on something you don't understand, interesting)
  • "other extensions were taken" (we are not very creative)
  • "because it was available" (but we are clueless)

•••
Attack? Anyone disagree's with you its an attack.
I like some new G's but this one is pure garbage

•••
For me It's sounds like GarbageDon'tNeed

•••
.gdn pump fail.

one of the meaningless extensions I have ever seen.

•••
More exactly it means: Gambling Domain Name... ))))

•••
After .whoiswho and .kiwi is the most crappy extension I've ever seen.
Serious business and serious domainers don't spend a penny on this shit.

•••
The attack of the new g haters, love it! :xf.wink:

Is reality, are facts, it's not a religion, it's not a war newgtld lovers VS newgtld haters.
If you don't understand this simple point it's not our problem.
Invest in .gdn, we talk about it in few years.

•••
No no they say Grace Delete Now.

•••
Simply because a ".gdn" exists, doesn't mean it has potential. Like many here, I also never understood the purpose of this extension.

•••
•••
This extension is crap. Hype all you want.
New people dont waste your time with this crap extension

It's only important to those that bought into it

Its also #5 at spamhaus on the spam list.

Xyz is way better investment than gdn
Global is better than gdn

What next .vin .lbgt .lol

•••
Here is a list of top .gnd sales. I.bet .top can .top this list https://namebio.com/?s=wN2gDO4YTO
LOL

Really what's the difference on a business card? I have no problem in a friendly debate but everyone so far is just brand and portfolio protection kind of replies...
Would you use a .gdn for your business ? For real ? If you cannot answer yes, you (and others) shouldn't be investing in .gdn in the first place. It's called the confidence test.

But maybe I can outline my thoughts better.
TLDs are brands. .com is a brand too. It is the brand of global commerce.
New extensions like .online .club .tech .blog .guru etc are semantically relevant, even if people are puzzled about new extensions, at least the TLD needs no explaining. Extensions should enhance/complement/reinforce the brand (left of the dot). .GDN brings no added value at all to your brand/company name.

For example investors.club makes sense, shopping.online makes sense, advanced.tech makes sense.
On the other hand a .gdn domain never makes any sense because the TLD is totally superfluous.

Of course you'll never see serious, meaningful sites on a meaningless extension like that. Almost all other extensions are better/less worse.

PS: same opinion about .xyz: a silly extension.

•••
.gdn Badness Index: 6.46 Domains seen: 36,499
Bad domains: 23,417 (64.2%)

•••
@Jurgen Wolf @platey @dordomai I just checked whois.com to see what top brands own .gdn domain and surprisingly facebook, microsoft, Amazom, Instagram & Apple all own a .gdn domain. What would you say about this?

i could only imagine it being to defend their brand as they know if they didnt buy it someone would

•••
.gdn is global domain name and is based out of Dubai-UAE
On their site is address:

GDN Registry FZ-LLC (JSC NIS Subsidiary)
Building 14th, Office # 107
Dubai Internet City,
P.O. Box 111230,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

•••
It's really generic, a way to connect therefore it's merely your opinion. How many people know .io in the domainer world is input output?

I think you missed what I meant in my original post .. people don't really need to know what IO stands for .. it's memorable .. usually visitors add the .io verbally in their head when they read it .. as such it becomes easier to remember. Same goes for most repurposed TLD's like .co and .tv as they are far more memorable .. .cc isn't really the same as those .. but being a double repeating it's super easy to remember. .GDN really isn't memorable in any way I'm sorry to say! :-/

•••
.IO is brandable (rememberable), because it sounds (thanks to vowels)... for example, say: oliv.io
.gdn brandability is ~0.00

Thats just stupid, sorry.

•••
Maybe another thread but would love to hear how you can get in to the head of an end user. LOL
To get into enduser-head you need: knowledge, experience and analytics... and normal IQ-level.

•••
•••
Hey don't knock .xyz
I just invested another 50 cents in that extension

you should have saved that money for a good .fail

Investing in .fail has many advantages, for example you don't need to check your mailbox for end-user inquiries. They won't happen. When the expiration is approaching you don't have to think about whether or not it is worth keeping, the answer is always no. As a .fail investor you don't have to worry about paying taxes, you will always lose more than you earn.

•••
I personally do not feel so much this extension, as I do not see a natural, semantic meaning of it.

I think, however, that it might be suitable for investing in short domains, up to 3L/4N domain names. if one can buy them cheap..purely because of Chinese investors, and their interest in short domains.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back