Dan.com

discuss If You Had $10... What You Register?

Dynadot Dynadot

CJ6

My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps.Top Contributor
Impact
If you had $10 USD to spend, what would you register? .com, .biz, .org, .net, .co, .info, other?
Why?

Remember, you can register more than 1 if you can afford it.

0 0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

NameOmnia

In DisguiseTop Contributor
Impact
Definitely a .com
I would invest some hours among dropped lists and I'd find something I could flip quickly for a profit; even a small one.

Last edited:

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Contributor
Impact
.Club, .Work

I'd find .Club on sale for $1.50... buy 3.. and then buy a few quality .Work names.

Nsmith91

Work Hard, Play Harder!Established Member
Impact
Good question. A few months ago I would have said a gtld, but after reading and watching the "pros" I'd definitely look for a cheap .com to flip first.
Short and brandable .com names seem to be the surest bet.

N-A

Account Closed
Impact
2 LLLL.biz and pocket $2.

The buyout is occurring on the same fashion as .org, and we all see how much those are worth less than a week after only Chips sold.

I would register a two word .com that makes sense and has at least three end users and try to sell it for a few hundred.

$10 isn't enough to risk on investments such as "chips."

Impact
I would register a two word .com that makes sense and has at least three end users and try to sell it for a few hundred.

$10 isn't enough to risk on investments such as "chips."

Say that to the folks who purchased net and org LLLL chips.

domvault

Top Contributor
Impact
I would have gone for a .com .
It's the safest bet among all.
There are 122 million .com registrations. There must be some reason behind it.

wcpthree

Established Member
Impact
Whatever is trending...... i got in pretty late, so i kinda treat domains like I do penny stocks. You have to figure out your entry/exit points. Have a strategy. Don't be greedy, but don't leave too much on the table either. You have to figure out your own personal comfort zones/thresholds.

There are newbies that read this forum daily for advice and direction. Some who have only $10 to invest.

Is this the message we want to send to them? Register a .biz and .info, really?

We know you guys most likely hold strong positions in those spaces but let's not force a "buyout," let it happen naturally.

Some own 1000+ chips, when the buyout happens, they will make a fortune. What does the newbie make? $20 or so. When they can buy a solid name and possibly make hundreds or thousands, even a name with dev potential.

A chip limits you, no dev potential and it has 0 chance of selling to an end user.

N-A

Account Closed
Impact
Yes, especially if all they have is 10. A newbie is bound to make mistakes and register crappy domains; check the appraisal section. That's basically a newbie throwing away 10, when they can double down, earn $20 and follow this advice on 2 names at a later time when they obtain the proper knowledge to register something half decent.
A chip limits you, no dev potential and it has 0 chance of selling to an end user.
0 end user potential, risky, but very high reward investment potential

If you want to soar with the eagles you can't hoot with the owls

Last edited:

wcpthree

Established Member
Impact
There are newbies that read this forum daily for advice and direction. Some who have only $10 to invest.

We know you guys most likely hold strong positions in those spaces but let's not force a "buyout," let it happen naturally.

Some own 1000+ chips, when the buyout happens, they will make a fortune. What does the newbie make? $20 or so. When they can buy a solid name and possibly make hundreds or thousands, even a name with dev potential.

I like your view on this. However, you have to decide if you are gonna be a volume or a gross person. Either strategy is fine. I don't see a reason to knock anyone for making 2-3x or more on their money. Volume is more tedious, but in any industry, it works.

nicedomains

GritBrokerage.comTop Contributor
Impact
I was thinking along the same lines as vickyhunter and would definitely only register a .com if I had to make a $10 investment grow.

Interesting to see so many opinions on biz, top, club, info ...certainly interesting domaining times!

J9

Top Contributor
Impact
The OP is asking what we will register if we had $10 to invest, he is not asking advice what he should register. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will definitely buy a .com! :)

Reason: Because it needs no proof why it's best. ;)

Last edited:

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Contributor
Impact
A 9N with repeating triples, something like 108108108

21x20

Domainer Since '95 #oldschool #orjustoldTop Contributor
Impact
Whatever is trending...... i got in pretty late, so i kinda treat domains like I do penny stocks. You have to figure out your entry/exit points. Have a strategy. Don't be greedy, but don't leave too much on the table either. You have to figure out your own personal comfort zones/thresholds.

Wow... I just have to say this is one of the deepest responses to a "what would you do with $10" post. I was not emotionally ready or expecting it as I read down through. You can't just be dropping philosophical bombs about overall investment strategy in posts about using $10.
... Just sayin'. ;) :)

As for me, I actually did reg a few LLLL.biz today because, well, why not. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

21x20

Domainer Since '95 #oldschool #orjustoldTop Contributor
Impact
A 9N with repeating triples, something like 108108108

Um yeah... But you can't get one of these for $10 anymore... At least I don't think so.

They're all reg'd... Your example one was reg'd in 2009. ;)
... Though maybe someone would sell you one with 0's or 4's for $10. :)
Not me, mind you... but someone. Maybe......

Shams

Will update soonTop Contributor
Impact
I'll register 3 .co at namecheap. Chinese investors registering chips silently and almost half of the chips already gone as of yesterday.

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Contributor
Impact
Um yeah... But you can't get one of these for $10 anymore... At least I don't think so.

They're all reg'd... Your example one was reg'd in 2009. ;)
... Though maybe someone would sell you one with 0's or 4's for $10. :)
Not me, mind you... but someone. Maybe......

There are plenty of 9N's with decent patterns out there, i did check the whois after posting,however
~
180280380 .......828666888 .... 008181008 700900800..... available now

Last edited: