IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Keep sending out those emails! I've had some interest this week and have three small (low $xxx) sales pending.

Interesting note, make of it what you will: All three sales have come when I included a price in the first email. Again, these aren't big sales (great ROI regardless), but if you're only expecting low $xxx for a name it might be worth including a price! Otherwise people might assume you're another of those greedy domainers wanting half a million dollars for every one of their domains. ;)

One of the buyers responded 8 minutes after my initial email this morning saying that he wanted it for my asking price. One hour later, the domain is in his possession (if I'm comfortable with the buyer I often push the domain as soon as I have their details) and forwarding to his site. Fixed prices sometimes make ya wonder if you could've bargained for more, but I'll take a 22000% ROI any day! :sold: The buyer's happy too which is always a plus. UPDATE: The domain was sold to a radio show duo, and they're already proudly announcing their new domain on air and on their FB page. My domain definitely passed the ole "radio test" better than their old one!

It's good to hear positive feedback instead of the usual "you are the scum of the earth" for once LOL

Enjoyed reading this. Nice story

•••
Anyone ever use html or graphics in their emails for better display when contacting potential buyers?

It seems like almost all emails I get these days from companies all have graphics in them.

Do you think this would help or is it best to stay with plain old text when contacting potential buyers?

If you were a buyer which of these two would convince you more?

Text Example:

MyDomain com is Available For Sale
Click Here to Make Offer

Graphic Example:
Example.jpg

What do you think?

:)

Last edited:
•••
@lennco: IMHO make mails look like spam. You know that "Great Oportunity ", "Hot Stocks" etc.

Have someone tried it ?
---

•••
Lately I've been using Yellow Pages for finding potential end-users with nice results!

Are you able to search by the entire country or do you have to search city by city?

•••
It looks spammy as hell to use anything other than plain text, unformatted. Only spam would scream at ya with bold, red text.

•••
@stogie21: maybe following:

on google -> search term

"PotentialEndUser site:yellowpages.com"

(without quotes)

you know what i mean ;) ?

---

Last edited:
•••
It looks spammy as hell to use anything other than plain text, unformatted. Only spam would scream at ya with bold, red text.

You dont think it looks more Corporate then Personal?

Do you think buyers would tend to think they are dealing with more of a corporate presence then someone private individual?

Last edited:
•••
To businesses, it looks like the seller's trying too hard. It's unnecessary if it's a good domain or a domain they'd be interested in. Let's assume the potential buyer has abcInc.com. Now, if they read the email & see abc.com was for sale, it wouldn't need anything to scream at them. They see it. (Well, assuming the pitch isn't long and bulky, they'll see it) There wouldn't be a need to shout it out.

You dont think it looks more Corporate then Personal?

Do you think buyers would tend to think they are dealing with more of a corporate presence then someone private individual?

•••
@stogie

I didn;t find any option to search by country but Dotmainer's way is very efficient.

"potentialEnduser site:yellowpages.com" but instead of "potentialenduser" you write your keywords.On google.
If you write the keywords with quotes you get exact results.

Cheers.

•••
•••
There wouldn't be a need to shout it out.

Ok lets forget about the size of graphic I used.
Not trying to scream it but instead showing what the name would like as a Logo.

Sometimes I think a good logo can help sell a name, it gives people ideas of what it could be rather then just plain text.

•••
Lately I've been using Yellow Pages for finding potential end-users with nice results!

Are you emailing established websites, or calling those without websites?

•••
•••
@dubstep

Just emailing companies/parties which are listed and have connections with my domain(ex: 'spicy food' and i own spicyfood(dawt)co and the plural)
Nothing special.

I'm having troubles though finding the best email structure to be sent(I know the other templates). If anyone has an efficient structured email template with good results pls drop me PM.

•••
@stogie21: maybe following:

on google -> search term

"PotentialEndUser site:yellowpages.com"

(without quotes)

you know what i mean ;) ?

---

:D Duh...

@stogie

I didn;t find any option to search by country but Dotmainer's way is very efficient.

"potentialEnduser site:yellowpages.com" but instead of "potentialenduser" you write your keywords.On google.
If you write the keywords with quotes you get exact results.

Cheers.

Yeah, that has been my strategy so far!

•••
Personally, I'd never use a signature of any form with pitches. I tend to see a sig & automatically ignore the email. Trying to look professional is scammy-looking these days. NEVER try too hard to look like a pro. It just backfires on ya.

^ agree. You can use signature/footer in your email like:

"My Company Name
Real Adress
City

TelNr.: 00........
Internet: http://companyhomepage
"

Pictures are mostly used (imho) in private company network.

BTW. there is thread about all that. -> http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/68798-how-to-find-potential-end-users.html

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

This might or might not work but I don't think it's a good idea. What if the image paints a bad image into the mind of a potential buyer? If you ruin that 1 shot, you'll lose that buyer. Leave it to their imagination. Don't fill their head with an idea.

Ok lets forget about the size of graphic I used.
Not trying to scream it but instead showing what the name would like as a Logo.

Sometimes I think a good logo can help sell a name, it gives people ideas of what it could be rather then just plain text.

•••
About 5 years ago, i sold a lot of domains with Logos on Ebay. In fact first i sold them without Logos, and after i included Logos, the domains sold for much higher price.
But i wouldn't use Logos in End user emails. I always feared to look like a Scammer. Don't know why. I think if you are proactively doing something, its another story. Also ebay is different.

•••
Colour-blind!

Shame I can't use that technique because I'm colour-blind.

•••
•••
I have found a potential end user and got the contact info for the Senior marketing manager. I'm assuming this would be the correct position to send these type of inquiries to?

Directors are the ones who make decisions in large companies.

•••
... but if you're only expecting low $xxx for a name it might be worth including a price! Otherwise people might assume you're another of those greedy domainers wanting half a million dollars for every one of their domains. ;)

Fixed prices sometimes make ya wonder if you could've bargained for more, but I'll take a 22000% ROI any day!

So I take it that you managed to flip a name which you'd paid $1 for $220? That's fab going :bingo:

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

You know he means the phone book right?

Now you ruined a good joke :)

•••
Personally, I'd never use a signature of any form with pitches. I tend to see a sig & automatically ignore the email. Trying to look professional is scammy-looking these days. NEVER try too hard to look like a pro. It just backfires on ya.

In some countries you are forced by law to include your adress/contact data in emails!
and at least i would not send money to someone who even not write name but nick in emails.

I would agree with you if we can say it's all about balance.
It's bad trying to look like pro but having that default (business) stock-pictures on homepage.
It's bad trying to look like company if you dont have one / or work for one.
On other side you should give enough info that buyer 'feel good' sending you money.

:imho:

•••
So I take it that you managed to flip a name which you'd paid $1 for $220?

This is the best and fastest way. Find available names for 8$ or little more from Closouts and sell to endusers low to mid xxx.
I sold many domain names low xxx to endusers. Both in Germany and US. It takes a bit time (find them, prepare emails, etc.) but its much better than parking and hoping someone bids 60$ for it.

Usually a decision to buy a name for 150 or 200 is done very fast from endusers. Everybody can afford a name for low xxx. So they don't think much about it and just buy it. Even the poorest endusers can pay that money. Thats why there are more sales in this range.
Of course with Top keyword Domains or brandables its different Story but for average keyword domains with .net and org and sometimes a long .com , thats the way to go.

I sold some .info with hyphens for 100 - 150 Euros. No problem in Germany. I don't think its that easy in US though with .info.

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Maybe a reason i or some others have more success with end user sales is i have another Company (not dealing with domains, but steel, stainless steel, etc. since 10 Years in Germany with the legal form of "GmbH". I think in USA its LLC? not sure. Anyway, i send all my emails from this Company. And also book it with this Company. Because the reputation of this legal form is much higher than the usual "one man" company (or even private sale from bedrooms in pajama) which you launch with no costs. You have to pay minimum 25.000 Euros to launch a GmbH. I don't know how its in US but i think you have some similar forms.

The bad side is taxes, tax accountant, etc.

•••
So I take it that you managed to flip a name which you'd paid $1 for $220? That's fab going :bingo:

Thank you for confirming that my math was correct ;)

As has been mentioned, selling domains for $100-250 isn't that hard... if you have halfway decent domains and are willing to put in a lot of time. That doesn't mean "decent" by domainer standards either - some of the domains I sell to end users wouldn't sell on NamePros for $5. Forums are, in most cases, a last resort for selling if you're looking to get a decent price for your domains.

GiftedDomains said:
Usually a decision to buy a name for 150 or 200 is done very fast from endusers.
This is very true, when they bite they very often bite quick. A large percentage of the "sold" responses to my fixed price emails come less than 30 mins after sending my initial email, and I've had a number of sales within 3-10 minutes. It's always an especially nice day when you do this with a freshly hand-registered name. Does make you wonder how much more it could have brought, but hey that's the nature of fixed price sales!

Last edited:
•••
As has been mentioned, selling domains for $100-250 isn't that hard...

It would be interesting to see what sort of names you sell in that price range? Would you be prepared to show others?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back