Dynadot

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lately I've been using Yellow Pages for finding potential end-users with nice results!

Nice! I've found plenty of leads just now with yp. Never knew about it, repped!

•••
Personally, I'd never use a signature of any form with pitches. I tend to see a sig & automatically ignore the email. Trying to look professional is scammy-looking these days. NEVER try too hard to look like a pro. It just backfires on ya.

I agree with this. I am just finalizing a deal now for a domain in the mid $xxx, and when I first emailed him, the first question he asked me is if I owned the domain myself or if another company owned it.

I do put my web development/design business information in the footer though. I think it is good for people to know that you have some credibility.

•••
Anyone ever use html or graphics in their emails for better display when contacting potential buyers?

The concept of giving them a visual isn't bad but personally I'd probably do it on the domain/website itself rather than in the email IMHO. At least in my Gmail and Outlook Express, images are blocked unless I manually click to display them (privacy feature).

•••
So then since everyone believes images are not a good thing then what about using templates or just tables in your emails to give the text some structure?

•••
So then since everyone believes images are not a good thing then what about using templates or just tables in your emails to give the text some structure?

Too much excess crap, IMO. My emails are no more than 70-80 words and have a pretty good reply rate. If:

-it's a good name that's highly relevant to their organization

-the email is properly presented (correct grammar, professional email address, phone number, etc)

-the pitch is direct, to the point

you'll have a good chance of interest. The most important part is gaining the buyer's interest and getting a reply. From there, you can provide data/information that reflects your domain name's importance and value to this individual.

•••
Too much excess crap, IMO. My emails are no more than 70-80 words and have a pretty good reply rate. If:

-it's a good name that's highly relevant to their organization

-the email is properly presented (correct grammar, professional email address, phone number, etc)

-the pitch is direct, to the point

you'll have a good chance of interest. The most important part is gaining the buyer's interest and getting a reply. From there, you can provide data/information that reflects your domain name's importance and value to this individual.

The only reason I have suggested these things is so that the potential buyer believes that they are dealing with more of a professional and not some rookie.

Could make a difference in the offer you get.

•••
Tables lone aren't bad (no CSS or images or special formatting). But if you followed those rules, why would you use a table, anyway?

•••
I kept seeing recommendations to use isp email to decrease the chance of landing in the junk folder. so i gave it a try and sent an email from my isp to hotmail and lo and behold, straight to the junk folder :'(

•••
I was told that some email programs see a domain in the subject & automatically mark it as spam. Dunno if this is true tough. If you have a domain in the subject, it might be marked as trash for that reason.

I kept seeing recommendations to use isp email to decrease the chance of landing in the junk folder. so i gave it a try and sent an email from my isp to hotmail and lo and behold, straight to the junk folder :'(

•••
I was told that some email programs see a domain in the subject & automatically mark it as spam. Dunno if this is true tough. If you have a domain in the subject, it might be marked as trash for that reason.

My subject line was "Test" but I too have heard that. I think keywords from the domain would be a better approach.

In all honestly I have yet to even try to contact end-users mainly because I'm not sure how I feel about sending unsolicited emails. I guess I'll have to get over it though :gl:

Last edited:
•••

Then what do you suggest to put in the subject?

Anyone else experience this?

•••
domain keywords should be in the subject ( ex. selling NamePros.com the subject is 'Name pros').

I didn't have any problem so far listed as spam(as far as i know)

•••
If you want to reach end users you need to send E-mail from a clean IP address. If you send from a large ISP like Comcast the likelihood of your mail being flagged as spam is high. Avoid free E-mail too.

You want to convince end users they need your wonderful .com domain yet you are using a gmail.com address ? Come on ;)

I would recommend using a domain name of your own, hosted on a shared/dedi server. Of course it must be on a clean IP block too.

•••
If you want to reach end users you need to send E-mail from a clean IP address. If you send from a large ISP like Comcast the likelihood of your mail being flagged as spam is high. Avoid free E-mail too.

You want to convince end users they need your wonderful .com domain yet you are using a gmail.com address ? Come on ;)

I would recommend using a domain name of your own, hosted on a shared/dedi server. Of course it must be on a clean IP block too.

I have my own sites that I email from using Thunderbird email client. I use ServInt VPS severs and I have several dedicated IP's that I use but I noticed when I send emails to one of mu AOL accounts it goes right to spam.

How can I tell if my IP blocks are clean?
How would I know if the IPs I have are dirty?
I like to know the history of them to see if someone who had them before me was abusing them with bad site and spam emails.

Thanks

•••
VERY good question. I'd be interested to know too, if anyone has an idea

I have my own sites that I email from using Thunderbird email client. I use ServInt VPS severs and I have several dedicated IP's that I use but I noticed when I send emails to one of mu AOL accounts it goes right to spam.

I like to know the history of them to see if someone who had them before me was abusing them with bad site and spam emails.

Thanks

•••
I think you should avoid dedicated email servers because these are considered high risk mass spam senders.

I use my hosting,have a 60email/h limit but I sent tests to 6 email addresses: yahoo, hotmail, gmail and NONE landed in Spam folder, all Inbox.

•••
I think anytime you contact a end user you lose a huge amount of negotiating power.. The domain you sold for x,xxx you could of easily of gotten double or triple by waiting it out and allowing them to contact you first.

I myself shoot for the maximum, If your willing to sell your domain(s) for far less, then knock yourself out.

•••
I think anytime you contact a end user you lose a huge amount of negotiating power.. The domain you sold for x,xxx you could of easily of gotten double or triple by waiting it out and allowing them to contact you first.

I myself shoot for the maximum, If your willing to sell your domain(s) for far less, then knock yourself out.

It all depends on the strategy you have and if you find an end-user which WANTS your domain, no matter how you find it, it is wrong to think you can't get max value out of it just because you contacted him.

It is true that when an end-user contacts you you can squeeze him out but that only applies when you have no sales volume.

•••

I have done the waiting game for years letting buyers find me through Sedo, my site and whois and I have probably sold a total of $20k in domains so far.

I am tired of playing the waiting game and now I ready to play the Federer game and start making $5k - $10k a month.

But before I do I want to make sure I got all my ducks in order, email strategy, avoiding spam folders, ect.

:)

•••
I am tired of playing the waiting game and now I ready to play the Federer game and start making $5k - $10k a month.

Absolutely. I am really surprised that people here seem to have ignored the success he's been getting in the way he's been getting it!!

•••
It is true that when an end-user contacts you you can squeeze him out but that only applies when you have no sales volume.

I'm not sure what you mean by no sales volume?

And nobody is getting "squeezed" here, We all have the right to name our price, and if the buyer doesn't want to pay that price, he's under no pressure or obligation to do so, he can register the .net or .org for all I care,
I even suggest they register another TLD that's more in line with their price, The end result is usually a SALE.

I no longer play the Priceline game where buyers name their own price, been there done that.. You give into their asking price and they dream up more ways to reduce it even more.

Standing firm has always worked well for me.

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

But before I do I want to make sure I got all my ducks in order, email strategy, avoiding spam folders, ect.

:)

Your going to need domains that end users really want, hopefully you have them.

I wish you the best in reaching your goals. ;)

•••

google "checking blocked spam ip"

mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

regards,
tonecas

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I'm not sure what you mean by no sales volume?

And nobody is getting "squeezed" here, We all have the right to name our price, and if the buyer doesn't want to pay that price, he's under no pressure or obligation to do so, he can register the .net or .org for all I care,
I even suggest they register another TLD that's more in line with their price, The end result is usually a SALE.

I no longer play the Priceline game where buyers name their own price, been there done that.. You give into their asking price and they dream up more ways to reduce it even more.

Standing firm has always worked well for me.

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

1. By sales volume I mean more than 1 sale per week(at least), just find Federer's posts and you'll understand.

2.I didn't use that word in a bad way, a good way for the seller.

3.Buyers never name their own price! You are giving them the price (usually higher than your expected price) and you settle for a lower offer(expected price), that simple. The trick is to let the buyer feel in control and comfortable.

I wish you all the best.:kickass:

•••

Well I have about 400 to choose from so we will see :)

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

regards,
tonecas

Thanks for the tool.

I checked all my IP's with that tool and no blacklist but can they still be dirty even if not on a blacklist?

•••

regards,
tonecas

I have now an interesting dilemma, I check my webslites severs IPs and they are all clean, no blacklist.

Yet my emails are still going into spam folders.
So then I check my internet IP that is issued to me by my ISP aka Charter and low and be hold it is on 2 blacklist.

So I changed my IP many times (about 20) and every IP Charter issued me is on a blacklist, the same 2 black list.

SORBS
Spamhaus

I called Charter and they pretty much said in so many words that they blacklist them on purpose because those are "Residential" accounts and are primarily for entertainment and they want you to upgrade to a Business account and move up from a Dynamic IP to a Static IP, and its only a difference of about $150 a month....lol

So my question to all of you who have not had this problem sending emails to potential buyers using an email client like Outlook, who is your ISP?
and do you use a Dynamic or Static IP from your ISP?

:-/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back