IT.COM

discuss Bought a Domain name, and confused.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

arjun29

Top Member
Impact
Bought a nice domain name from Hugedomains for 3k to develop for teaching a language. However, there are some situations:
.net, .org, .in, .co all are developed. All the exact match social handles, YouTube, are taken and running.

How will these situations positively/negatively impact me. What can I do to mitigate the drawbacks. For social media handle what suffix/prefix or words can I add.

Let's discuss.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, you should have done your research before buying the name. Check also for trademarks.
An end user should investigate, before investing in a name.

Last edited:
•••
No Trademark on that name. All the sites developed are small sites.

•••
This is actually great news.
If anything, this increases domain’s potential value as any of these could want this .com, you spent $3k on; which is HD’s common price, and HD owns more domains than many Registrars.

Your .com is KING. 👑

The other exts’ inferior; always will.
Develop baby, spent fortune on or back up plan; sell to these developed. You’re insane (or any) if you think this is bad news. # of exts DEVELOPED (not TAKEN, but… DEVELOPED!!) is better.

1 developed is equal to 10 undeveloped for me. Anyone can register non-com exts, few develop.

Last edited:
•••
Not a bad thing by any means. For social handles, you can use something like thisdomaincom or officialthisdomain or learnlanguage, or something else creative. You will probably get some free traffic from people typing in .com instead of the other extensions.

•••
"yourdomainname" + "dotcom" at the end also works

•••
Bought a nice domain name from Hugedomains for 3k to develop for teaching a language. However, there are some situations:
.net, .org, .in, .co all are developed. All the exact match social handles, YouTube, are taken and running.

How will these situations positively/negatively impact me. What can I do to mitigate the drawbacks. For social media handle what suffix/prefix or words can I add.

Let's discuss.
All exact match social media handles being taken limits your ability to maintain consistency across platforms and could potentially confuse your audience.

•••
All exact match social media handles being taken limits your ability to maintain consistency across platforms and could potentially confuse your audience.

It’s also almost impossible to get any good brand .com and also get all the exact match socials so it’s something you just have to deal with.

I’ve done all of these:
- reach out to existing owners and buy the handle
- use the domain in the handle (including extension)
- use your tag line as the handle
- add “official” or some other prefix/suffix, as long as these are matching across all platforms

•••
Reach out tell 'em you got the com. See if they care. If they don't you've got dead weight unless you had plans for yourself with it.

We're at a point where if an entity has built and is successful there is a slim chance they see the view from us domainers on the whole dot-com is king thing.

It has to be serious upgrade in the actual name, not just the extension.

For social media it's only a handle by now you really have to hack the crap to get any sort name not taken so it's really what substance you're going to offer the crowd.

•••
I have mentioned that I bought it to develop it myself. I am developing a language teaching platform and already started working on it.
And since majority of my contents will be youtube videos, I am confused how much not having an exact url matters. Coz all handles are owned by .net guy.
But I also realised that I never type youtube URLs of channels I subscribe and follow.

•••
I have mentioned that I bought it to develop it myself. I am developing a language teaching platform and already started working on it.
And since majority of my contents will be youtube videos, I am confused how much not having an exact url matters. Coz all handles are owned by .net guy.
But I also realised that I never type youtube URLs of channels I subscribe and follow.

The .com is the primary asset.

The social handles are nice to have but aren't going to impact you much.

Algorithms and content are what get you discovered on social -- I couldn't tell you the social handle on any platform for anyone I follow.

•••
Ah I missed that sry

You'll do fine, if you're competing with other the other names and they emphasize language teaching your leg up is having the strong com but they will have the benefit of already being established. So just work it a bit, make the site trustworthy and dependable.

We can't have enough language learning, props!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back