IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any specific reason why this thread has been un-stickied?

I didn't notice it was until I read the posts.

I don't know what happened, I don't see anything noted anywhere
but it is stickied again. :)

•••
Which is better to have as a professional image for end user sales...
1) A website name that shows focus on domain sales only such as "AwesomeDomains.com" or
2) A website name that shows domains are not the sole business model such as "AwesomeDesigns.com" and do web design or graphics work also.

•••
How long do most of you usually wait before sending a follow up email? I was in communication with someone last week and on Friday I received an email with an offer stating he could close the offer today (friday)..I got his email a couple hours later and responding but did not hear back from him. It is now Monday evening and I didn't hear anything from him. How long should I go before sending a follow up email? Also, does anyone have any good follow up email templates? Believe it or not I have never written a follow up email before because my sales have always closed rather quickly lol..

•••
How long do most of you usually wait before sending a follow up email? I was in communication with someone last week and on Friday I received an email with an offer stating he could close the offer today (friday)..I got his email a couple hours later and responding but did not hear back from him. It is now Monday evening and I didn't hear anything from him. How long should I go before sending a follow up email? Also, does anyone have any good follow up email templates? Believe it or not I have never written a follow up email before because my sales have always closed rather quickly lol..

Here's one I sent the other day, I waited 72 hours, (not sure how good it is but it got my buyer to put his offer through):

Hi (name),

I have not recieved your offer of xxx dollars for (domain) on sedo.com yet. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Just click on the link below and put in your $xxx offer.

(link)

Once you have put your offer through, I will accept it and then sedo will send you directions on how to make your payment. From there sedo will send you further directions on how to remove the domain from the escrow account.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your business,
(Your Personal Info)

•••
Here's one I sent the other day, I waited 72 hours, (not sure how good it is but it got my buyer to put his offer through):

Hi (name),

I have not recieved your offer of xxx dollars for (domain) on sedo.com yet. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Just click on the link below and put in your $xxx offer.

(link)

Once you have put your offer through, I will accept it and then sedo will send you directions on how to make your payment. From there sedo will send you further directions on how to remove the domain from the escrow account.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your business,
(Your Personal Info)

Thanks skulldood. You have given me some ideas but he has already made his offer and it isn't through sedo. But thanks, I am going to email him this evening. Rep left!

•••
Sold a set of 64 domains to an end user.
95% of the domains cost me reg fee.
Sold the set for $2,350.

GIRLFRIEND.info should be the next sale (Sedo)

I am following NP and particularly yours posts from about 2 months now, You seem to be probably the one of most efficient man in the business, I would really appreciate if I could get some valuable advice and tips before I jump in to the business.

•••
Picked up SurveySoftwareTool.com for $8 (reg fee) yesterday.
Just sold to an end user for $800.
Transaction/PUSH should be taking place later today.
wow federer nice sale .care to share some tips on contacting end users?and the mail template you are using ?just to have an idea

•••

Nice and fast flip! :kickass:

•••

Nice sale once again!

How do you accept payment for these domains that you sell?
Escrow, paypal?

Thanks in advance.

•••
Thanks guys.

I always get companies to wire the funds through PayPal. Personally, it's just more conveniant (instant). For the end users that are hesitant (internet scam, paypal problems in the past etc.), I am always happy to PUSH the domain first BEFORE payment - only had to do this on 2 occasions though.

•••
Thanks guys.

I always get companies to wire the funds through PayPal. Personally, it's just more conveniant (instant). For the end users that are hesitant (internet scam, paypal problems in the past etc.), I am always happy to PUSH the domain first BEFORE payment - only had to do this on 2 occasions though.

Thanks for the quick response! :tu:
Very helpful! :great:

•••
Paypal is really fast, but is also risky for the domainer...
It dependes on how much you spent to buy the domain...

•••
I don't believe there is too much of a risk. Obviously for highly generic quality domains where sales would generally land in the $2,000 to $10,000 bracket, Escrow is without a doubt the best possible option.

I primarily use the PayPal channel to sell domains that I pick up for $5 to $50 and then resell for $500 to $2,000.

•••
I have always used Paypal for domain transactions and never had any bad experiences. It really depends on the price of the domain you are selling.

•••
I've never had a problem dealing with business clients through paypal, and I always offer to push first to give them assurance. After all, I am the one they never heard of, not the other way around.

If the sum is over $1,000 I generally use escrow depending on the client.

•••
I used paypal for as much as $5,000.
I used escrow for as little as $250.

It all depend on who you are dealing with
and how much you know about other party ;)

•••
It would be interesting to know the approximate number of email contacts necessary to generate a typical sale.

•••
It would be interesting to know the approximate number of email contacts necessary to generate a typical sale.

About 1 in 15-20 if the domain you're pitching is sensible, relevant, and preferably superior to the domain each end-user candidate currently uses for his/her business (e.g. they own the .net, you the .com).

•••
About 1 in 15-20 if the domain you're pitching is sensible, relevant, and preferably superior to the domain each end-user candidate currently uses for his/her business (e.g. they own the .net, you the .com).

exactly what I was going to say. On some of my names though I have seen responses in around the 1:10 ratio.

•••
exactly what I was going to say. On some of my names though I have seen responses in around the 1:10 ratio.

sorry but i was lost here.

are you talking about how many emails are needed between an end-user and you for completing an unique sale OR the win ratio on domains sold, that is, in 10 domains catch you sell 1? this last figure is important and would be great if you could share it.

regards,
tonecas

•••

are you talking about how many emails are needed between an end-user and you for completing an unique sale OR the win ratio on domains sold, that is, in 10 domains catch you sell 1? this last figure is important and would be great if you could share it.

regards,
tonecas

I'd too like to know the ratio of names purchased compared to names sold. It seems like I've been buying ALOT lately and not selling anything. Decent names too (.coms, other extensions taken, etc.).

•••

regards,
tonecas

I meant that if I own ProductGeneric.com and ProductGeneric.com has 8 strong potential end-users, then if I pitch to all 8, chances are roughly 50% that my e-mail campaign will result in a "satisfying" quick flip (e.g. I purchased the domain for $15 and flipped it for $275), since roughly 1 in every 15-20 well-targeted pitches ultimately results in a sale.

If you're referring the ratio of e-mail pitches that result in a response like "I'm interested -- what's your price?", it's been roughly 1 in 7 for me and my clients.

The quick-flip % rate on domains my clients and I own is roughly 25% annually (that is, 1 in 4 domains we catch sell for a "satisfying" return), but this is much, much higher percentage than most domainers experience because we use special software to pinpoint domains best suited for the quick flip. Most experienced domainers find their end-user sell through rate to clock in at around 3-5% annually; novice domainers, less than 1%.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'd too like to know the ratio of names purchased compared to names sold. It seems like I've been buying ALOT lately and not selling anything. Decent names too (.coms, other extensions taken, etc.).

For quick-flips, consider domain industry market cap over anything else. Yachts sell for much more that paperclips, for example. I would avoid food-industry and religion-oriented domains entirely, unless you're lucky enough to own a domain like Jesus.net.

Next, consider keywords search volume and PPC.

Other factors like # of TLDs taken, age, etc. are tertiary factors you could employ as bargaining chips.

IMO, only purchase domains for which 4+ highly targetable, well-established end-user candidates already exists. If XYZ.com has 3 potential end-user candidates and the best-off one generates only $50,000 in sales per year, XYZ.com is not going to sell for more than $150 or so. Your quick-flip earnings are bounded by how much your potential end-user candidates are (1) able and (2) willing to pay (whichever of the two amounts is smaller).

•••
thanks JoshuaPz for your inputs.
the last two replies are very useful.
rep added

regards,
tonecas

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back