Dynadot

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the quick reply JoshuaPz. I was testing different templates and it was the first and only time that I had used this one. It did not have an end date but I did mention that I was actively marketing the name to people in the industry.

In this case I would follow up with them about 4-5 business later if your prospect is a small company. Otherwise, you'll need to allow them more time.

•••
Just curious, when is the best time to send out emails to potential end-users?

•••
Just curious, when is the best time to send out emails to potential end-users?

8am - 10am ET, with a slight preference for Mondays. I have discussed this subject in several places.

•••
8am - 10am ET, with a slight preference for Mondays. I have discussed this subject in several places.

Alright sir. I've set my pc time to Eastern Time. :red:

Edit: Actually there's no need for me to edit the timing. I can just minus 12 hours from my current timing. :D

Last edited:
•••
Alright sir. I've set my pc time to Eastern Time. :red:

I'm living in Israel right now and usually just settle for Google Calendar and a good alarm clock.

•••
In case you're on Firefox3, keep the local time as your computer time and then use this addon: FoxClocks

You can add as many timezones as you want and add the icon to the ff menubar then on mouseover it shows a drop down.

I normally keep the time zones in order of distance from mine. ;)

•••
Hey guys,

I've only sent out 10 emails over the past hour, but I've already received one reply asking for the price. Should I reply him with a price now or wait for a few more days for the rest to (hopefully) reply?

Last edited:
•••
Hi .... I read your comment and ya i am doing that and as per selling domain names i had sold .com .co.in and many others... i have so many end users just for marketing about mine and some contacts of business persons from that i found my end user customers and its really good...Thanks for sharing this post...

•••
Hey guys,

I've only sent out 10 emails over the past hour, but I've already received one reply asking for the price. Should I reply him with a price now or wait for a few more days for the rest to (hopefully) reply?

First off, congratulations, but it's generally advisable not to send pitches to end-users on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

If you're pitching a domain to multiple end-users simultaneously, I'd wait a couple of business days before replying to the first "how much?" This allows you to gauge overall level of interest among your candidates before setting a price (e.g. if 4 reply with "how much?" vs. if only 1 replies).

•••
First off, congratulations, but it's generally advisable not to send pitches to end-users on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

If you're pitching a domain to multiple end-users simultaneously, I'd wait a couple of business days before replying to the first "how much?" This allows you to gauge overall level of interest among your candidates before setting a price (e.g. if 4 reply with "how much?" vs. if only 1 replies).

Thanks for the tips, Sir! :great:

•••
Better to include price in first e-mail or not?

Hi Joshua,

thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have read your comments and your blog along with all the other valuable contributions here, and it has been a tremendous help!

There is still one thing, though, that I would really like to ask you. Do you think that it is generally better not to include an asking price in the first e-mail one sends to potential end users? I have read other comments here and articles on other forums/blogs saying it's a good idea to include the price in order to accelerate the whole process and "to facilitate a quick business decision". I'm also wondering if some end users might find it strange if the price is not mentioned?!

•••
Knowing the email subject we should use would be extremely interesting too ;)

•••
Hi Joshua,

thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have read your comments and your blog along with all the other valuable contributions here, and it has been a tremendous help!

There is still one thing, though, that I would really like to ask you. Do you think that it is generally better not to include an asking price in the first e-mail one sends to potential end users? I have read other comments here and articles on other forums/blogs saying it's a good idea to include the price in order to accelerate the whole process and "to facilitate a quick business decision". I'm also wondering if some end users might find it strange if the price is not mentioned?!

I have found it financially optimal not to include an asking price in my initial e-mail. Why? Because let's say you catch a domain for $8.99, price it at $495 (despite that you'd be content flipping it for $245) in your initial pitch, and they don't respond. You then have no idea whether they didn't respond because they weren't interested in your domain at all or you priced your domain too high. Your initial pitch is simply an information gathering mechanism. If the end-user responds to your initial pitch, you know he/she is willing to pay *something* for your domain name. Therefore, if you then cite a price an he/she doesn't respond, it's worth your while to prod your end-user for his/his her thoughts on your price; if he/she responds with "no", you could ask him/her to make an offer or suggest a "final offer" of your own. Any expression of interest at all on part of the end-user is a thread you could then tug on. It's hence in your best interest to maximize the quantity of these threads.

Furthermore:
(1) The professionalism of and level of interest expressed in the end-user's response can you help you price your domain name, and
(2) The signature in the end-user's e-mail often includes corporate contact information, and on a occasion, a cellphone number that allows you to read him/her directly via tele- at any time. This is especially useful if your end-user has not posted a phone number on their website or has whois privacy enabled. The format of the e-mail address the end-user replies with might also indirectly help you locate a key decision make. For example, let's say a company contact named Joe Plummer replies to your from e-mail address [email protected] and you read on their website that the VP marketing of Plummer Associates, Inc. is named Sean Plummer. You then know that, in all likelihood, you can reach Sean, the relevant decision maker here, direct by e-mailing [email protected].

•••
A real pearl!

Thank you so much, Joshua,

for your detailed response! The rationale behind your sales strategy and your advice not to include an asking price in the initial e-mail is indeed very convincing.

I understand that any kind of action on part of a potential end-user is, psychologically, an important step towards a possible sale. As soon as end users react to the first e-mail, they obviously feel and have already started to convince themselves that the domain in discussion is of a certain value to them, and by starting to act on this basis, the "consistency principle" comes into play and they will begin to really want this domain (if we as their domain partners handle the process well, that is).

I am certainly not the only one who benefits enormously from your sharing your vast experience and invaluable insight, and I can't wait to read more of you here and on your wonderful blog! Keep up the excellent work!

All the best,
CopaSurfer :wave:

Last edited:
•••
•••
TeStudio $150...10 min. flip, my fastest ever

Congrats!
Few months ago i've registered a domain and after around 15 minutes i've received an enquiry offering me 5x of the reg fee for the domain ($40). I was pretty surprised and i started to think that domain could value HIGH amounts if after only 15 minutes i receive an email! Then i replied with a high $xxx counter offer but they have declined.

Now i have this domain and can't find any enduser ahahah :lol:

•••
Congrats!
Few months ago i've registered a domain and after around 15 minutes i've received an enquiry offering me 5x of the reg fee for the domain ($40). I was pretty surprised and i started to think that domain could value HIGH amounts if after only 15 minutes i receive an email! Then i replied with a high $xxx counter offer but they have declined.

Now i have this domain and can't find any enduser ahahah :lol:

Interesting story; guess you don't want to share the name ?

Did you manage to monetize it through development or parking in the interim ?

Rob

•••
Interesting story; guess you don't want to share the name ?

Did you manage to monetize it through development or parking in the interim ?

Rob

Heheh i prefer to not share it right now. It's one of those common LLLL.nets.

I have parked it on Sedo and optimized as usual, and it has earned just enough dollars to pay itself a renew during 10 months, but not more.

I have offered it to some end users (always thanking god for the existence of JoshuaPz ;) ) but with poor results, nobody interested, most of them just ignored my email.

•••

lol I have had on the spot flips as well in the range of $xxxx.. like talking to ppl I've dealt with earlier, they start inquiring if I have domains in particular niche and at the same time I'm going through someone else's list for the domain names I'd wanted.. kabooom, there I see a domain name the inquirer would be interested in and deal goes through within few seconds :sold:

•••
lol I have had on the spot flips as well in the range of $xxxx.. like talking to ppl I've dealt with earlier, they start inquiring if I have domains in particular niche and at the same time I'm going through someone else's list for the domain names I'd wanted.. kabooom, there I see a domain name the inquirer would be interested in and deal goes through within few seconds :sold:

I'm not sure it's ethical.. but good for you ;)

•••
I'm not sure it's ethical.. but good for you ;)

ethical? unethical? dude, buying from one party and selling it to other is very much ethical as long as you have it in possession. I have lost on quite a few as well but that's part of the business and called risk taking (where buyer doesnt like it and you get stuck with the domain name you were hoping to quick flip).

And not trying to beat you to it but if I dont have possession of the domain name, I make it clear wit the buyer that it's wit someone else.

assumptions much!! :td:

•••
from http://www.namepros.com/83628-report-domain-name-sales-here-106.html#post3584900

www.DONT.net said:
lol I have had on the spot flips as well in the range of $xxxx.. like talking to ppl I've dealt with earlier, they start inquiring if I have domains in particular niche and at the same time I'm going through someone else's list for the domain names I'd wanted.. kabooom, there I see a domain name the inquirer would be interested in and deal goes through within few seconds
[...]
dude, buying from one party and selling it to other is very much ethical as long as you have it in possession. I have lost on quite a few as well but that's part of the business and called risk taking (where buyer doesnt like it and you get stuck with the domain name you were hoping to quick flip).

And not trying to beat you to it but if I dont have possession of the domain name, I make it clear wit the buyer that it's wit someone else.

assumptions much!!

Well, maybe i misunderstood the first reply.
What i mean is: do you inquiry some end-users BEFORE to acquire the domain name or you do some researches before to buy the domain and if you see it has potential you acquire and THEN inquiry all the end users?

I.E.
You spend some time in the NP marketplace and find some word1word2.com domains you consider interesting. Then make some researches on Google and find 5 potential end-users.

What i consider unethical is inquiring the end users before to acquire the domain name.

What i consider ethical is take the risk, buy the domain and then send the emails.

Curious to know your considerations, guys.

•••
Well, maybe i misunderstood the first reply.
What i mean is: do you inquiry some end-users BEFORE to acquire the domain name or you do some researches before to buy the domain and if you see it has potential you acquire and THEN inquiry all the end users?

I.E.
You spend some time in the NP marketplace and find some word1word2.com domains you consider interesting. Then make some researches on Google and find 5 potential end-users.

What i consider unethical is inquiring the end users before to acquire the domain name.

What i consider ethical is take the risk, buy the domain and then send the emails.

Curious to know your considerations, guys.

It's only unethical (in my opinion) if you lead your potential buyer to believe you own the domain that you're trying to sell them. But there's nothing wrong with being a middle-man (broker) if the potential buyer is made aware of this fact. You would have to have an agreement with the owner to have exclusive right to sell it. This protects the buyer from paying for something that may not be available when the transaction is made, and it protects you from the buyer going around you.

•••
It's only unethical (in my opinion) if you lead your potential buyer to believe you own the domain that you're trying to sell them. But there's nothing wrong with being a middle-man (broker) if the potential buyer is made aware of this fact. You would have to have an agreement with the owner to have exclusive right to sell it. This protects the buyer from paying for something that may not be available when the transaction is made, and it protects you from the buyer going around you.

Well, brokerage is completely legit as well as you let the buyer know you don't own the domain but you're just brokering it.

But that's not what i was talking about ;) However, you have replied, i think too you should acquire the domain before to sell it.

•••
Small story.
My friend who is not a domainer but developer recently called me and told that he got an e-mail probably from a domainer, who was talking about the .net version of my friend's .com and .co.uk domains, saying that in couple of days that .net domain would be avaliable, and that guy (domainer) could catch it before squatters (bad guys) do it :) So that guy was asking my friend if he is interested in .net (he didn't talk about the price). My friend was interested and I successfully backordered that name for him.

The question: does anybody of you use that kind of sales? Contacting enduser before you've picked a domain. If yes is it effective?

Thanks, Nick

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back