NameSilo

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Okay then, if you believe both AR/MR have a future in glasses form and i think you do as i believe you thought ARGlasses dot com was a good investment, what would be the differences?

AR glasses = map directions?
MR glasses = seeing Micky Mouse in the corner?

Marketing wise that would be a disaster, It’s too confusing and will never work. Then when VR comes in glasses form, what then? Virtual Reality is scrapped and we call it Mixed Reality and everything is called MR?

It’s not going to happen mate, at the minute (in my opinion) any virtual related tech in glasses form will just come under the Virtual Reality umbrella, it just makes perfect sense marketing wise and Augmented Reality will go a different way (car dashboards/tablets/smartphones/projection).

Everyone likes a gamble, made a few myself and like I told you in a pm the other day I was willing to take a huge gamble on Mixed Reality dot com itself. I’d never buy a MR domain though other than a registration, not even the best keywords if i saw one at BIN for say $500 as I just don’t believe in that abbreviation, marketing wise I think it’s terrible.

If I’m wrong I’m sure I will get a few smug faces in my direction, but if I’m right, you’ll get no smuggyness from me as I don't take any joy in people losing money for trying, so wish you luck mate.

Enjoy debates on stuff like this though, it’s the only way to learn and maybe be proved wrong and this thread (VR vs AR vs MR) encourages these debates constructively.
Look lets put an end to all this vr ar mr and just put it under the one term xr lol see now we dont have to worry anymore if it is vr ar ir mr as now when a new reality surfaces we can all go did you check out that xr headset easy solve to a complexe problem lol i am only joking before everyone jumps on me long live xr

•••
Look lets put an end to all this vr ar mr and just put it under the one term xr lol see now we dont have to worry anymore if it is vr ar ir mr as now when a new reality surfaces we can all go did you check out that xr headset easy solve to a complexe problem lol i am only joking before everyone jumps on me long live xr

In 2080 we will have an XR reality ;) lol

•••
•••
As far as the mixed reality term having no future though argue that fact with Alex Kipman. It's his mission to make the term mainstream

The only mission of Microsoft and the mission of Alex Kipman (as a Microsoft employer) is to make money out of HoloLens mate and believe me if Microsoft believe it will be beneficial marketing wise ($£) to start calling HoloLens a ‘Virtual Reality’ or ‘Augmented Reality’ device then they will do that.

As VRDommy pointed out earlier, Microsoft have spent zero money on the term ‘Mixed Reality’ - Other than domainers putting this word under a microscope and getting excited when one of these Silicon Valley giants say “Mixed Reality” it doesn’t really mean much to Joe Public, all they care about is how good the device is.

And all what I said above goes for the term ‘Merged’ aswell since I own the .com of that and a Silicon Valley giant is promoting that term.

Last edited:
•••
The only mission of Microsoft and the mission of Alex Kipman (as a Microsoft employer) is to make money out of HoloLens mate and believe me if Microsoft believe it will be beneficial marketing wise ($£) to start calling HoloLens a ‘Virtual Reality’ or ‘Augmented Reality’ device then they will do that.

As VRDommy pointed out earlier, Microsoft have spent zero money on the term ‘Mixed Reality’ - Other than domainers putting this word under a microscope and getting excited when one of these Silicon Valley giants say “Mixed Reality” it doesn’t really mean much to Joe Public, all they care about is how good the device is.

And all what I said above goes for the term ‘Merged’ aswell since I own the .com of that and a Silicon Valley giant is promoting that term.

I think you are trying to wind me up lol.

Did you watch the end of that video mate?

All their videos are changing to mixed reality content .... mixed reality future .... make mixed reality mainstream.

Inviting developers to make mixed reality content via IWantMR

How much money has been invested into a Mixed Reality startup Magic Leap ?

Look I have no need to convince anyone..

And yes mate, I am glad you would not be smug. I think you know I would not be myself (I am a very humble guy).

If mixed reality does or doesn't make it I am glad I am taking the risk ;)

If I make money, it helps with family life. If I lose money my wife kills me :xf.frown:

Good luck with merged reality though mate, I wouldn't mind that one coming in either lol

Last edited:
•••
Did you watch the end of that video mate?

I didn't mate, i watched a little bit and got bored :xf.laugh:

I'll watch it tomorrow and let you know what i think (y)

•••

Is pretty boring mate, just watch the last 2 minutes or so ;)

•••
One thing i have noticed as an ar mr hr and xr owner i have seen a large jump in numbers / uniques on a daily basis and i recieved a parking payment this month of $55 which surprised me

•••
I will say for those that really feel it in their gut that MR is going to be a huge keyword, prepare yourself for the wait. You need to be willing to hold your names no less than 5 years to get anywhere near great value unless you are holding category killers. I hope you do not need to hold them that long but I know how long tech needs to fester before becoming viable in the names market. That is because it has to be viable in user search patterns/vocabulary. Marketing normally uses what terms the target will understand and identify with.
Very few things come out of the blue 'in volume with demand'.

I also want to point out that Magic Leap called their tech Cinematic Reality in the beginning and could return to it by launch time. And while I still think that they will put out a pretty good product at a pretty good high price for starters, I also believe individually, they will act on what is in their best interest as far as marketing.
I doubt they will want to be associated as the same tech as Microsoft but it could be.
This is the place where they will want to separate themselves from the pack.

All of this puts Qualcomm in a funny spot. They have nearly exactly the same open source hardware platform as Intel. The tech is nearly the same... Only the chips are different. What should they call theirs' ?
Mixed Reality, Merged Reality, Something Else ?
There are many problems with any choice they make at this point.

Add Apple to this mess and you now need a mop to clean it up.

Last edited:
•••
I will say for those that really feel it in their gut that MR is going to be a huge keyword, prepare yourself for the wait. You need to be willing to hold your names no less than 5 years to get anywhere near great value unless you are holding category killers. I hope you do not need to hold them that long but I know how long tech needs to fester before becoming viable in the names market. That is because it has to be viable in user search patterns/vocabulary. Marketing normally uses what terms the target will understand and identify with.
Very few things come out of the blue 'in volume with demand'.

I also want to point out that Magic Leap called their tech Cinematic Reality in the beginning and could return to it by launch time. And while I still think that they will put out a pretty good product at a pretty good high price for starters, I also believe individually, they will act on what is in their best interest as far as marketing.
I doubt they will want to be associated as the same tech as Microsoft but it could be.
This is they place where they will want to separate themselves from the pack.

All of this puts Qualcomm in a funny spot. They have nearly exactly the same open source hardware platform as Intel. The tech is nearly the same... Only the chips are different. What should they call theirs' ?
Mixed Reality, Merged Reality, Something Else ?
There are many problems with any choice they make at this point.

Add Apple to this mess and you now need a mop to clean it up.
I am happy to wait last big sale i had i owned from 2001 and sold in 2014 i also own few 4 letter dotcoms since 2004 and various others i like many will drop some crap but mostly keep my collection

•••
I am happy to wait last big sale i had i owned from 2001 and sold in 2014 i also own few 4 letter dotcoms since 2004 and various others i like many will drop some crap but mostly keep my collection
Most of the domain'rs in vr have been doing it less than 3 years and do not understand that wait.
And many of those invested in MR as a keyword have nearly 50-100 names to keep for that long if they can't figure out what the good ones are.
Just a reality check for them.
Anytime I take chances, I do it in moderation. Just a few select names.
I find that GREED is your worst enemy in this biz.
A little greed will do you some good but a lot will get you broke.

I might point some to read all the early posts from the VR thread and some of the keyword choices that were being taken on strong and in volume. (if not moved or deleted as many have been)
Transmogrified Reality / TR
Virtuality
9D & many others...
I didn't hear anyone talking these terms even less than a year after the buying spree.
I took a few lashings trying to slow them down back then.
Not saying that there will not be a few sales using those terms but not enough to warrant 20 folks from buying 30 names or more each for each keyword.

Just some perspective.
Edit:
Should I add that old saying....
Yes, we are loosing money... but we are making up for it in volume !

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Most of the domain'rs in vr have been doing it less than 3 years and do not understand that wait.
And many of those invested in MR as a keyword have nearly 50-100 names to keep for that long if they can't figure out what the good ones are.
Just a reality check for them.
Anytime I take chances, I do it in moderation. Just a few select names.
I find that GREED is your worst enemy in this biz.
A little greed will do you some good but a lot will get you broke.

I might point some to read all the early posts from the VR thread and some of the keyword choices that were being taken on strong and in volume. (if not moved or deleted as many have been)
Transmogrified Reality / TR
Virtuality
9D & many others...
I didn't hear anyone talking these terms even less than a year after the buying spree.
I took a few lashings trying to slow them down back then.
Not saying that there will not be a few sales using those terms but not enough to warrant 20 folks from buying 30 names or more each for each keyword.

Just some perspective.
Edit:
Should I add that old saying....
Yes, we are loosing money... but we are making up for it in volume !

Cannot do anything but agree with most of this VRdommy ;)

•••

Great research mate.
Argument is getting boring as i mentioned before. Each made his picks and hopefully did it after enough research and i hope all of you guys will make money out of your picks.
No need to talk about what other people are doing (social medias, poor choices etc) as this is very disrespectful imo.
When new data will arrive then we can talk some more about which names to drop and so on.
Till then ta ta.

•••
•••
More on Samsung AR and GearVR-2 / GearVR-3
http://www.gadgetgestures.com/samsung-launching-of-gear-vr-2/83419129

I can see where the sale of arglasses was rooted now.

Trouble is with the media on this one again guys.

They are producing the same type of augmented reality that Microsof Hololens and Magic Leap are working on.

Quoted from a article:

"This mixed device is similar to the Microsoft HoloLens or Magic Leap."

Good luck to all. This is my last post in this thread for a while.

I hope VR, AR, MR and Holo all bring returns for us domainers.

Kind regards

Gary ;)

•••
•••
•••
Trouble is with the media on this one again guys.

They are producing the same type of augmented reality that Microsof Hololens and Magic Leap are working on.

Quoted from a article:

"This mixed device is similar to the Microsoft HoloLens or Magic Leap."

Good luck to all. This is my last post in this thread for a while.

I hope VR, AR, MR and Holo all bring returns for us domainers.

Kind regards

Gary ;)
Hey mate have a great christmas and a safe new year email me anytime

•••
Hey everyone, just wanted to wish you all a Merry Xmas and a fantastic New Year, and if you dont celebrate Xmas, have a fantastic break with family and friends anyway..Im off to Bali for 10 days so wont be on here to often until the new year. Lets all hope 2017 is a big year for us all and we start seeing some nice VR/HOLO/MR/AR/XR sales.

•••
Hey everyone, just wanted to wish you all a Merry Xmas and a fantastic New Year, and if you dont celebrate Xmas, have a fantastic break with family and friends anyway..Im off to Bali for 10 days so wont be on here to often until the new year. Lets all hope 2017 is a big year for us all and we start seeing some nice VR/HOLO/MR/AR/XR sales.
Don't worry, I'll be sure to pick on ya while your gone.... ...LOL
Merry X-Mas !

•••
My idea for HoloStudy is to help people learn. HoloExplore is for virtual history lessons and vacations. :)

My other few are for gaming ideas.

Merry Xmas mate

I love it, its a fantastic name, I have HoloTraining.com in the same area.

Perhaps now those who were doubting that start-ups weren't branding around the term 'Holo' should better shut up.

"Cheers!!" ;)

"HoloTraining" and "HoloStudy" are awesome names, and I concur that "Holo" is going to be huge in education as MS drills down and targets this market - Still holding HoloClass / Classes / College / Degree / Campus etc...

Along with Mixed Reality, I see the term Hybrid Reality thrown around. Anyone else have Hybrid Reality domains?(not sure if this is the wrong thread)

2017 is going to introduce "Hybrid" headsets that are capable of displaying VR/AR/MR content.

;)

I took a punt on the "Hybrid" term early on, seeing this as a possible synthesis of AR/VR... Still holding (in king):

HybridHeadset(S)
HybridGlasses
HybridGoggles :xf.cool:

https://www.camsoda.com/labs/holo-cam/

CamSoda Debuts “Holo-Cam” Allowing Users to Watch Live, Interactive Holographic Cam Shows via their Smartphones and Tablets

Fingers crossed they come calling... Holo - Cam is another arrow in my quiver... :xf.grin:

(Bottom line, I agree with all those who take the position that "diversification" across AR/VR/MR/Holo/Hybrid, etc. is the way to go, but ONLY with top quality kw... It's like going to the roulette table and trying to cover all the numbers... It just never pays off!)

BTW, Happy "Holo"days to all, and here's wishing everyone a wonderful and warm celebration whatever your particular "reality!" :joyful:

Last edited:
•••
I need to stop hand registering names but I could not resist this one;
ImmersiveKids.com.

LogoMakr-layerExport.png

•••
Lumus AR (feeds AR Image from the edge of the lens)
https://technewsinc.com/htc-quanta-invests-45-million-lumus-409521/

While looking at what the OnePlus 4/5 has in store, I can't get to hyped by it since I know there will be no less than 5 competitors with the same or better specs next year cause they will be using the same chips. But it does say something at how fast they are evolving as a co.
http://www.techvicity.com/2016/12/oneplus-4-iphone-slayer-benchmark-time-come.html

@KingslayerVR mentioned the sale of ARGlasses.com the other day and I have been following up on that.
https://flippa.com/7143093-arglasses-com
As of today, the whois was updated so it does appear to have been transferred
.https://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=arglasses.com&type=domain
I remember wanting this name in 2011. but had been taken (now 10 years old) as I was trying to corner the market with head mounted display keywords back then. Not knowing exactly which way the wind was going to blow. I will say it is ill advised to do such a thing most times. But I have done something close to it in the VR/360 cam market. I am not sure that that was a mistake just yet. I guess that depends on how long I hold the 50 or so that I have.

I myself am guilty of having to many hardware names for this industry, I also know that the majority of hardware names are used in retail and software experiences is where it is at for the VR/AR future.
Especially as it applies to online social experiences (likely late bloomers).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back