Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You do know Mixed Reality isn't due to be pushed until 2017 I take it VRdommy ?
What do you mean by 'pushed' ? ... Promoted ?
Pushed by who ? For what reason ? It is not a BRAND it's a CONCEPT

•••
@NamePov
I like your fighting spirit! The good thing about future tech names is you could be buying names in your PEAK years and in the future the Gold medals will come.

Last edited:
•••
What do you mean by 'pushed' ? ... Promoted ?
Pushed by who ? For what reason ? It is not a BRAND it's a CONCEPT

Yes promoted ;)

It is almost like a brand because the public have not yet been introduced to what Mixed Reality is and would be unaware of the concept.

But Microsoft, Magic Leap are just two of quite a few respectable companies looking to change this.

But I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know.

•••
I wonder if we ask the first six people we meet tomorrow "have you heard of mixed reality and augmented reality" I think augmented reality would win.

•••
@NamePov
I like your fighting spirit! The good thing about future tech names is you could be buying names when you hit your PEAK and years later the Gold medals will come.

Cheers @IRON-MAN

It's not really fighting spirit.

I am happy for people to invest in only one tech term if that is what they believe in.

But this future tech evolution we are approaching is bigger than just the keyword "Virtual Reality" and that is my only thought on the matter.

Too many in this thread are comparing how popular current trends are and dismissing possibilities of future trends ;)

•••
Yes promoted ;)

It is almost like a brand because the public have not yet been introduced to what Mixed Reality is and would be unaware of the concept.

But Microsoft, Magic Leap are just two of quite a few respectable companies looking to change this.

But I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know.
Yes, I know that Magic Leap is promoting Magic leap and Microsoft has had Mixed Reality device out there but I see nobody spending money to promote MIXED REALITY, Just their product brands.

That chart stuck you in the way I thought most would take it,
but it is more about the measurement of power of a true hit.
You are just reading it wrong. Just food for thought.

•••
I wonder if we ask the first six people we meet tomorrow "have you heard of mixed reality and augmented reality" I think augmented reality would win.

Ask at the end of 2017 and the answer could change again ;)

•••
Yes, I know that Magic Leap is promoting Magic leap and Microsoft has had Mixed Reality device out there but I see nobody spending money to promote MIXED REALITY, Just their product brands.

That chart stuck you in the way I thought most would take it,
but it is more about the measurement of power of a true hit.
You are just reading it wrong. Just food for thought.

You look at Microsofts site and recent promotional videos. All it talks about is pretty much mixed reality.

Not bloggers, not tech sites, microsoft themselves.

Alex Kipman done a speech last week talking about the future of mixed reality.

This is the last post on this because I just repeat myself over and over.

In 2016 VR and Pokemon Go is winning.

In 2017 just maybe the world will be introduced to the term that Microsoft, Magic Leap and others are adopting.

Good luck to all ;)

Last edited:
•••
You look at Microsofts site and recent promotional videos. All it talks about is pretty much mixed reality.

Not bloggers, not tech sites, microsoft themselves.
I can find more sites talking deep into selfie sticks but I don't see the names sales to match it.
Again I say separate the tech words from the need to use it as a domain name in your biz.
I am quite certain that Mixed Reality or MR is going to be quite successful.
But what I don't see is the need to separate yourself from the pack by populating your name with it.
That could change but I see no indication at this point that it will.

•••
Mixed reality will be a massive market providing the technology gets adopted by the general public.

But you cant compare mr stats at moment against vr it is an unfair fight.

•••
I can find more sites talking deep into selfie sticks but I don't see the names sales to match it.
Again I say separate the tech words from the need to use it as a domain name in your biz.
I am quite certain that Mixed Reality or MR is going to be quite successful.
But what I don't see is the need to separate yourself from the pack by populating your name with it.
That could change but I see no indication at this point that it will.

Well if I was the owner of a company looking to sell "just" mixed reality experiences I would not be doing my company much justice if I purchased a VR name.

But thats just my opinion lol

Good luck mate ;)

Last edited:
•••
Mixed reality will be a massive market providing the technology gets adopted by the general public.

But you cant compare mr stats at moment against vr it is an unfair fight.
It really was a showing of a hit... I thought you got it... POKEMON GO.
But of course I knew most were going to read it the wrong way and is why I compare the choice terms.
It should have been a enlightenment. KEEP A OPEN MIND.
Most of you folks that so strongly defend those names blot out any other considerations.
If it were me looking at that chart for the first time, I would have said
WOW, that pokemon hit was that strong !

•••
It really was a showing of a hit... I thought you got it... POKEMON GO.
But of course I knew most were going to read it the wrong way and is why I compare the choice terms.
It should have been a enlightenment. KEEP A OPEN MIND.
Most of you folks that so strongly defend those names blot out any other considerations.
If it were me looking at that chart for the first time, I would have said
WOW, that pokemon hit was that strong !
It's rumoured the walking dead have signed with niantic and harry potter so look out 2017 men will be waving there magic wands around the street

•••
•••
•••
I think I still own VRMagicWand... LOL...

Perhaps I should have used this chart instead... but it would not allow me to make my point.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=vr,mixed reality,hololens,Magic Leap

Not one of my freinds knows what magic leap, hololens or what mixed reality is.

In 2015 none of them knew that Virtual Reality was on it's way in 2016.

That is the comparison I feel is important here.

Again, sometimes we are buying current trend domains and other times we are buying future tech domains.

No one really knew what AR was until Pokemon Go bursted onto the scene!

•••
I think Robert Scoble must have felt my struggles in this forum and decided to do a facebook update to try and help me out 40 odd minutes ago lol

Next year the big bang approaches ;)

Screenshot_20161218-225834.png

Last edited:
•••
I've made my views clear on MR before.

One thing i notice though, Elad/Mads/NamePov you guys spend a lot of time fighting to convince everyone here that MR is the real deal and fighting on Twitter (the whole world) correcting everyone what MR is.

Have to say, If your fighting to convince people what you see, rather letting people see it for themselves, does that mean there's nothing to see or what you see is that small it's not worth looking at?

I think you need to start asking yourselves that, I'm talking about the term not the tech.

ARGlasses dot com sold the other day, i know a few MR domainers was impressed with that and saw it as a good investment. Do you guys REALLY think it was a good investment though? Because if ARGlasses is a thing, then chances are MR won't be a thing as that's what MR is (AR in glasses form).

Would MRGlasses fetch $7,000+ at auction?

Last edited:
•••
Nobody makes the best beer...
People are just convinced they drink the best beer because it is marketed to their lifestyle.
Do folks really know or care how much hops it has or how it is aged or if it really is aged ?
Marketing 101
Names are a marketing tool and a investment that the end-user expects a return on that investment.
They are buying a market advantage for profits, not just a name.
There are two 'main' reasons someone will pay high dollar for a name...
IMAGE creation or TRAFFIC (the ease/cost to obtain it)
That becomes Brands or Generics and they play differently.
While it is too early yet to tell what are the best names, certain criteria are needed to even be in the running and I'm not seeing it for many acronyms or tech names unless they are category killers.

•••

One thing i notice though, Elad/Mads/NamePov you guys spend a lot of time fighting to convince everyone here that MR is the real deal and fighting on Twitter (the whole world) correcting everyone what MR is.

Have to say, If your fighting to convince people what you see, rather letting people see it for themselves, does that mean there's nothing to see or what you see is that small it's not worth looking at?

I think you need to start asking yourselves that, I'm talking about the term not the tech.

ARGlasses dot com sold the other day, i know a few MR domainers was impressed with that and saw it as a good investment. do you guys REALLY think it was a good investment though? Because if ARGlasses is a thing, then chances are MR won't be a thing as that's what MR is (AR in glasses form).

Simple answer, it's not 2017 so no one would know what MR Glasses are.

If you think MR is AR I will stop my explanation here. You clearly need to do a little more research because they are not the same tech. MR is not AR in glasses form lol.

I like you so I won't go on the defensive.

Just one hint though. It's not the MR guys being defensive out of no where. Look back and we have just responded to comments ;)

I am invested in VR but I can see past my VR glasses/hmd lol. That is all I am trying to point out.

# I am not on twitter BTW ( I let Elad and Mads fight the world for me) ha ha.

As far as tech vs term, look what term Microsoft are now promoting in promotional videos, key speeches by Alex Kipman, their own website ;)

I know you are a clever enough guy. If mixed reality tech becomes a thing how would you search for specific mixed reality content. By searching for the term VR?

Truth is though mate I am invested into VR, AR, MR, Holo, HR, XR

I am not biased by any means.

I keep an open mind, my back and fourths usually tend to be with those who don't seem to have such an open mind in respect that there could be a few keywords in consideration as these techs evolve ;)

MR or Mixed Reality might not make it. But the fact that Microsoft and one of the most largely funded start ups in history are going to be promoting mixed reality is enough for me to take the gamble :)

Last edited:
•••

ARGlasses dot com sold the other day, i know a few MR domainers was impressed with that and saw it as a good investment. Do you guys REALLY think it was a good investment though? Because if ARGlasses is a thing, then chances are MR won't be a thing as that's what MR is (AR in glasses form).

I was not aware of that sale. TNX
I do hold MANY, VARY similar names.
VRGoggle
VRSmartGoggle(s)
3DSmartGoggle(s)
AR3DGlasses
VR3Dglasses
Most are 3 years old and some are 5
(many more)
I do have some that are AR & Goggle but I realized that was a mistake a few years after but held on to them thinking it would play different in China.

•••
Answer is because they are probably not domainers so it's not the first thing they think of within the industries.

It just doesn't happen that way Gilescoley.

It has happened in other niches like Dell grabbing CloudComputing.com, Citrix grabbing Cloud.com, Amazon grabbing Cloud.co and MS grabbing quite a few as well, cant remember the names off the top of my head but there are a few.

BTW @gilescoley you said

"All the research was already done for this tech and all the articles show what will be he term used"

Serious question but what term are we talking about?

VR and Holo and to a certain extent AR as well, you have to look at what sounds and looks good, or a term that is an exact match of a product (be aware of TMs).

There are a lot of stick random terms on the front or end of AR, MR, XR, HR etc and this is the issue, its about being picky with your selections, this is not aimed a certain person, but just in general. Domainers tend to get an article or Google alert about "VR Something" or "AR something" and tend to rush out an register it. Yes, it might be $1.99 reg, but next the renewal probably wont be that, you cant look at people are paying for it now, but what your yearly renewal will be.

Good luck all, hopefully 2017 is the year of VR sales

•••
It has happened in other niches like Dell grabbing CloudComputing.com, Citrix grabbing Cloud.com, Amazon grabbing Cloud.co and MS grabbing quite a few as well, cant remember the names off the top of my head but there are a few.

VR and Holo and to a certain extent AR as well, you have to look at what sounds and looks good, or a term that is an exact match of a product (be aware of TMs).

There are a lot of stick random terms on the front or end of AR, MR, XR, HR etc and this is the issue, its about being picky with your selections, this is not aimed a certain person, but just in general. Domainers tend to get an article or Google alert about "VR Something" or "AR something" and tend to rush out an register it. Yes, it might be $1.99 reg, but next the renewal probably wont be that, you cant look at people are paying for it now, but what your yearly renewal will be.

Good luck all, hopefully 2017 is the year of VR sales

So VR, AR & Holo are the picks. Thanks for confirming. Was not sure if you were talking about just VR.

Not suprised to see no MR in the lineup even though Microsoft are launching their website #IwantMR (clearly gilescoley doesn't) ;)

Yes and totally agree about cheap 1st year registrations compared to renewals.

Not saying this is the smartest approach in the world but because I am paying $1.49 per reg I have taken more gambles than I would of if I was paying over $8 per domain.

These gamble reg's have been done in the full knowledge that I am willing to drop most once apple have confirmed their stance september of next year.

I have made many mistakes in my first year of tech domaining and feel that once I weed out the crap in 2017 I should have a little portfolio that I am quite proud of.

Good luck to you as well mate. Might not seem like it but I do look up to proven domainers like yourself and VRdommy.

Obviously we have a different point of view with regards to MR and some risks we are willing to take but overall I do think both of us can see the others point of view ;)

•••
Simple answer, it's not 2017 so no one would know what MR Glasses are.

If you think MR is AR I will stop my explanation here. You clearly need to do a little more research because they are not the same tech. MR is not AR in glasses form lol.

I like you so I won't go on the defensive.

Just one hint though. It's not the MR guys being defensive out of no where. Look back and we have just responded to comments ;)

I am invested in VR but I can see past my VR glasses/hmd lol. That is all I am trying to point out.

# I am not on twitter BTW ( I let Elad and Mads fight the world for me) ha ha.

As far as tech vs term, look what term Microsoft are now promoting in promotional videos, key speeches by Alex Kipman, their own website ;)

I know you are a clever enough guy. If mixed reality tech becomes a thing how would you search for specific mixed reality content. By searching for the term VR?

Truth is though mate I am invested into VR, AR, MR, Holo, HR, XR

I am not biased by any means.

I keep an open mind, my back and fourths usually tend to be with those who don't seem to have such an open mind in respect that there could be a few keywords in consideration as these techs evolve ;)

MR or Mixed Reality might not make it. But the fact that Microsoft and one of the most largely funded start ups in history are going to be promoting mixed reality is enough for me to take the gamble :)

Okay then, if you believe both AR/MR have a future in glasses form and i think you do as i believe you thought ARGlasses dot com was a good investment, what would be the differences?

AR glasses = map directions?
MR glasses = seeing Micky Mouse in the corner?

Marketing wise that would be a disaster, It’s too confusing and will never work. Then when VR comes in glasses form, what then? Virtual Reality is scrapped and we call it Mixed Reality and everything is called MR?

It’s not going to happen mate, at the minute (in my opinion) any virtual related tech in glasses form will just come under the Virtual Reality umbrella, it just makes perfect sense marketing wise and Augmented Reality will go a different way (car dashboards/tablets/smartphones/projection).

Everyone likes a gamble, made a few myself and like I told you in a pm the other day I was willing to take a huge gamble on Mixed Reality dot com itself. I’d never buy a MR domain though other than a registration, not even the best keywords if i saw one at BIN for say $500 as I just don’t believe in that abbreviation, marketing wise I think it’s terrible.

If I’m wrong I’m sure I will get a few smug faces in my direction, but if I’m right, you’ll get no smuggyness from me as I don't take any joy in people losing money for trying, so wish you luck mate.

Enjoy debates on stuff like this though, it’s the only way to learn and maybe be proved wrong and this thread (VR vs AR vs MR) encourages these debates constructively.

Last edited:
•••
Okay then, if you believe both AR/MR have a future in glasses form and i think you do as i believe you thought ARGlasses dot com was a good investment, what would be the differences?

AR glasses = map directions?
MR glasses = projecting Micky Mouse in the corner?

Marketing wise that would be a disaster, It’s too confusing and will never work. Then when VR comes in glasses form, what then? Virtual Reality is scrapped and we call it Mixed Reality and everything is called MR?

It’s not going to happen mate, at the minute (in my opinion) any virtual related tech in glasses form will just come under the Virtual Reality umbrella, it just makes perfect sense marketing wise and Augmented Reality will go a different way (cars dashboard/tablets/smartphones/projection).

Everyone likes a gamble, made a few myself and like I told in a pm the other day I was willing to take a huge gamble on Mixed Reality dot com itself. I’d never buy a MR domain though other than a registration, not even the best keywords if i saw one at BIN for say $500 as I just don’t believe in that abbreviation, from a marketing pov I think it’s terrible.

If I’m wrong I’m sure I will get a few smug faces in direction, but if I’m right, you’ll get no smuggyness from me as I don't take any joy in people losing money for trying, so wish you luck mate.

I'm sure it sounds like I’m hating at times, but I’m not, I just enjoy debates on stuff like this, it’s the only way to learn and maybe be proved wrong and this thread (VR vs AR vs MR) encourages these debates constructively.

I thought ARglasses wasn't a safe buy.

Hybrid glasses are coming out next year so it makes AR Glasses even more niched.

P.s I don't necessarily think names including the terms HMD or glasses have a huge potential to end users because companies who release HMD's or Glasses usually do under their own brand.

I only made the comment I did to slip in the part about hybrid glasses coming out next year with VR/AR & Mixed Reality capabilities.

I never said once that MR will replace any other term. Yes some industry experts see MR as an umbrella term but I know there will always be people looking specifically for VR. Just in the same way I feel there will be people searching for AR and MR content seperately (oh and holograms @Nitindomains @gilescoley @cordoba lol) Don't want to get in trouble.

As far as the mixed reality term having no future though argue that fact with Alex Kipman. It's his mission to make the term mainstream (This was his presentation under 2 weeks ago in china):

Watch it all the way through, that is important ;)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back