IT.COM

Google pagerank updated yesterday

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Was an aweful one for me but seems to be pretty minor for most people. Some people have noticed some changes in SERPS as well as a result.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hmmm...mine stayed the same. thats ok with me :)

•••
Originally posted by Chris_C
Was an aweful one for me but seems to be pretty minor for most people. Some people have noticed some changes in SERPS as well as a result.

SERPS? simple english please?? sorry not use to all this abbrv. yet SERPENTS? ;)

•••
Originally posted by redhippo
SERPS? simple english please?? sorry not use to all this abbrv. yet SERPENTS? ;)
Wondering the same thing ?

•••
search engine result pages
what comes up when you do a search.
pagerank recalculation i think will go on for a while, different serp's i don't see just yet, however.

•••
AHH.

We got crushed this time. Had pagerank 1 for a bunch of keywords like:
-free image host
-free images
-image host
etc...But since our recent downtime, we've fallen back.

Well, always next time :)

•••
Pagerank 1 (PR1) is not the same as a #1 position in SERPs for a specific keyword. Pagerank is a term trademarked by google for determining the importance of a page/url (not site, even though partially true in most cases) by the pages that link to it (simplified).

I seriously doubt you had a #1 position on 'free images' since that would have meant way more hits than your extremetracker is showing from google.

There are constant changes in the SERPs so next time might be an hour from now. The google dance ain't as spectacular as a year ago.

Edit: Your toolbar pagerank for the main page is 3/10

Last edited:
•••
Ahhhhh, ok. What exactly does SERPs stand for?

Also, is the 3/10 pagerank good? I always thought being in first page for most keyword searches relavent to your site was best tactic.

•••
serps = the search engine result pages
so its the results that show when, you type in what you want to find :)
pagerank 3 is average, and yes you are right.. if your sites featuring highly under your chosen search terms, i would not worry about pagerank.

•••
PR3 is not average, the index is normalized to an average of PR1.

And yes, the important thing when approaching search engines is the position on SERPS. However, PR is a factor greatly involved when google ranks saerch results. But then, the other hundred factors involved together weigh way more than the PR.

To find out if you think the PR value is high (some may think 5 is low, whilst other think it is high), install the google toolbar and visit sites you would like to compare it with. The PR is the green bar up there, hover it to see the numeric value.

Download it from http://toolbar.google.com/

•••
my site leaped from PR5 to PR7 good for me
but no change in the SERP

•••
That's a really big PR leap. Congrats!

Usually good and well-linked sites go up to 6 with not to much delays, but the 7 snap is a big step. Well, due to the logaritmic nature of the PR every step is bigger than the previous, but 7 usually is a YEEHA!

•••
what i meant by average, is pr3 is not bad yet its not good either.
if you want to increase your pagerank get links to your site from higher pageranked sites.
pr4 links and above will only appear when you link:www.domain.com in google, so this is basically telling you more of a % would be based on them.

but who cares really, if you obtain high rankings in the serp's under your chosen search terms pagerank shouldnt matter to you much at all

•••
mine dropped from 6 to 4 now. Very Very pissed.

•••
i wouldn't be so pist about pagerank if i was you
i would be alot more concerned if the actual rankings of a site dropped off
i'm one of the people that think pagerank is over-rated by webmasters, sure it helps some sites to have a high pagerank(if they know how-to enhance it!), however i would certainly like a pagerank 2 sites thats optimized and ranking under all their targeted search terms than a pagerank 8 site that isn't optimized and ranks under 0 of their targeted search terms =]

•••

Updates to SERPS are continuous and ongoing changes now that the google dance died (google used to update at a specified time during the month). Pagerank and backlinks are not constantly changing but rather it only happens at certain times, the updates over the last 6 months have been:
oct 26
sep 21
aug 29
aug 8
jun 15
may 02

What this means is you might still see some changes with the SERPS, or at least you can rethink and reoptimize your site with a little more clout. I dropped from PR 7 to PR 5 and have already noticed a few places where my SERPS took a resultant hit but overall the effect was so far very minimal.

i'm one of the people that think pagerank is over-rated by webmasters, sure it helps some sites to have a high pagerank(if they know how-to enhance it!), however i would certainly like a pagerank 2 sites thats optimized and ranking under all their targeted search terms than a pagerank 8 site that isn't optimized and ranks under 0 of their targeted search terms =]
For the most part I agree. Pagerank does however define at what level you can play the game at so to speak. If there are very poorly designed high PR sites in a given niche then a lower PR site can beat it out with careful planning. At the same time, if you've competing for a high value term where some heavy hitter PR sites are competing, no amount of optimization will get your PR2 to the top of the SERPS. You'll notice in fact quite often on competitive keywords the sites that appear there are all within a couple PR points of each other. A very useful example is to type in the query "http" into google. There are probably some sites optimized well to teach you about "http protocol", but because of a "glitch" it's bringing up the heaviest hitters. No amount of effort is going to let you optimize your site to get to the top of that query. In fact I'd happily give you all my NP $$ and $250US to boot if you can do it and show me how you did it (:

•••
i don't optimize single words ;)
so that will rule me out!
if you mean 'http protocol' i will do something to optimize for that word and see how i go with it.
11million results.. hmm i'll get back to you on it :O n see how i go :)

Last edited:
•••
hehe no "http protocol" is cheating! :P Take a look on the search "http", you'll find it quite interesting if you haven't seen it before. It gives you a basic idea of the importance of pagerank and it's interaction with SERPS.

•••
How do you get a google pagerank for your site? How does that work out?

•••
I'm not sure I understand the question but the best way to view your pagerank is to download the google toolbar from
toolbar.google.com .

How you increase your pagerank is basically through having other websites link to yours (the higher their pagerank, the better). I'm not sure what namepros policy is on posting outbound links so if you PM me (or a moderator says it's ok) I'll post a few links to some useful resources.

•••
Thanks Chris, I sent you a PM.

•••
Originally posted by mnm_pistha

nice one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back