IT.COM

discuss GoDaddy Gives Big Bump To 4L .com Domain Values

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I noticed this morning that the automated valuations of 4L .com has gone up dramatically.

Not sure why but many of my 4L .com domain automated values have more than doubled!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It seems all short domains! 3L, 4L, etc.

Examples:
xus.org was $2437, now $4468
prge.com was $1540, now $4070
xafl.com was $1430, now $4263

and so on...

Not sure if it's a glitch or what, but definitely domain values according to GoDaddy have gone way up!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Long overdue, if true.

Conspiracy; i think GD purposely under-valued "liquid", inflated the rest.

Now fix appraise 90% .com $1K+ add dates to sales "comps"

Last edited:
•••
Long overdue, if true.

Conspiracy i think GD purposely under-valued "liquid", inflated the rest.

Now fix appraise 90% .com $1K+ add dates to sales "comps"
Did you check yours to confirm? Seems any short .com, .net, .org got a big bump.

•••
Leir (com)

Was $6491
Now $9323

Last edited:
•••
ogwe (com)
Was $1503
Now $2969

iknj (com)
Was $626
Now $2073

Found Excel downloaded, still with GD
Used figure under "Estimated value"

Date: 11/29/2019

Last edited:
•••
•••
what about 5L coms?

I have Two 5L.com in Excel 11/29/2019
Downloaded off GD, so had past Govalues.

Gtore (com)
Was $1099
Now $1309

zulty (.com)
Was $1481
Now $1,747

4L.com doubled, even 4x value.

5L.com only got ~$300 added.

Last edited:
•••
It seems all short domains! 3L, 4L, etc.

Examples:
xus.org was $2437, now $4468
prge.com was $1540, now $4070
xafl.com was $1430, now $4263

and so on...

Not sure if it's a glitch or what, but definitely domain values according to GoDaddy have gone way up!

Totally agree.

Sending the updated valuation asap here.

•••
Nothing unexpected here. Domainers are still overpaying, and hugedomains bot is still inflating the prices on expired auctions. Valuations are shown there. GD must have noticed decreased renewal rate, which is natural. So, GD+hugedomains decided to extract as much $$$ as possible from domainers...

•••
Nothing unexpected here. Domainers are still overpaying, and hugedomains bot is still inflating the prices on expired auctions. Valuations are shown there. GD must have noticed decreased renewal rate, which is natural. So, GD+hugedomains decided to extract as much $$$ as possible from domainers...
How will the new assigned values extract more from domainers? Do you think the new assigned values are too high?

•••
I did a spot check of a few 4L, 5L, and 6L .com names.

4L had increases from 2x with the highest being 4x previous value.
5L had some increase from .5x up to 1.5x previous value.
6L had minimal increase if any.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

•••
sorry...namepros has been goofy for me for about a day...duplicate post from above.

ADD: I wonder if data from uni and/input from uni employees had some influence on the change?

Last edited:
•••
How will the new assigned values extract more from domainers? Do you think the new assigned values are too high?
Higher "appraisal" --> higher sales prices. Preferably, paid by domainers (not hugedomains, they are not actively looking to win)

•••
•••
Do you think the new assigned values are too high?

lol

that's funny

cuz, basically you asking him, if an appraisal bots value, is accurate or not?

time for a blunt...

imo...

•••
lol

that's funny

cuz, basically you asking him, if an appraisal bots value, is accurate or not?

time for a blunt...

imo...
always time for that. :ROFL:

•••
Hmm, likely just another a bug. Better report this to the GoDaddy Bugs thread;
https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-bugs.1137384/

Otherwise, the only way to truly determine value is by combining biggie's success formula:
iq + $ + D*1 + M*1 + AP + (S*1 x E*1) / OT = POS © biggie.us

where
iq = intelligence
$ = capital
d1 = desire
m1 = motivation
ap = aptitude
s1 = skills
e1 = experience
ot = other tangibles
pos = possibility of success
and urljunky's pricing formula:
If I had a domain "picturepalace.com" and I was going to sell it. and i use the formula of key word search volume times 35% click through rate times cost per click times 10 months. so picture has lets say 5 million searches and palace has 1 million searches. palace cpc is .20 and picture is .35. (this is all hypothetically speaking.) and the exact phrase match is low, but it is brandable. so 35% of 6m is 2,100,000. lets average out cpc to .25. so 2,100,000 x .25 = $525,000. now would i multiply $525,000 x 10? or is it worth $525,000? or does that formula only apply to exact phrase domain names?
and that should help the real valuation.

•••
Hmm who knows, maybe they are trying to scale up thier pricing in the future and are starting with the "value" of names first to justify the increase. Or it could be based on overall market data who knows. Only time will tell what the reasoning is.

•••
Tony makes a good point, you see any name in auction, or in the sales marketplace with price of $1,888 with an appraised value of $2,450 you won't be that inclined, but if you see a valuation of $4,500 you will be more inclined to purchase. They may have adjusted their valuations, but what is it based on, are you guys getting 30% more for your domains now than 6 months ago?

Otherwise I think it is a genius move to get higher pricing in auction, and in marketplace listings. When you appraise something for higher, and buyers who are not very educated on valuations, lean on those numbers with a trust factor, it will lead to more people hitting the BIN button thinking they are buying value. I still think the tool is dangerous for big ticket domains in the $8K-25K range, which can lead to some real lowballing, or under valuations from end users.

Last edited:
•••
Tony makes a good point, you see any name in auction, or in the sales marketplace with an appraised value of $1,888 with an appraised value of $2,450 you won't be that inclined, but if you see a valuation of $4,500 you will be more inclined to purchase. They may have adjusted their valuations, but what is it based on, are you guys getting 30% more for your domains now than 6 months ago?

My data is from 6 months ago (Nov 29, 2019),
but literally feels like change made overnight. @Silentptnr feel followed govalues religiously. wouldnt notice for years if didnt point it out :)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Being so integrated with what they regard as comparator sales, I think a few large sales in a category, or a few small ones, can drive GoValue up or down rather strongly, whereas Estibot seem much more unchanging.

GoValue moved values around even more in the early days, in beta, I think, perhaps due to changing the algorithm as well as new values. For example I would notice all the times valuations changing by a factor of 2 from week to week. Past months have seemed more stable, but still changing.

I noticed that .ca valuations also seemed to jump up within last month or two (admittedly I don't have enough old records to be sure - but it seems to me they are valued more highly now). I presume with so few sales listed it only takes a few big ones to change that.

Some other extensions and types of names seem slightly or significantly down.

Anyway, we should always view any automated appraisal as a second opinion, and first and foremost do our own detailed evaluation that takes into account the type of name, semantics, comparator sales, competitors, oral and visual strength, etc.

Thanks for alerting us to the change in 3L, 4L automated valuations, @Silentptnr

Bob

Last edited:
•••
This is the result for few of my names. All data are given in that image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200403-210409.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-210409.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 315
•••
Back