NameSilo

G'day Everyone! - I'm iLawless - Here to learn! - Advice Appreciated!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

iLawless

Established Member
Impact
Hi Everyone!

I'm iLawless and I am uncomfortably, comfortably out of my depth. I'm eccentric, spontaneous and I write long (hopefully humorous) messages! I'm down in Adelaide in South Australia. I like to dive into new things hard and learn as I go. Nothing better than a challenge. I did a philosophy and anthropology degree a couple of years back to challenge myself, and the challenge that came with that has worn off now! My back ground before that is in marketing and business development, but more on the old skool end of the spectrum. Covid-19 has seen me placed on extended leave because of reduced duties and illness (I have ADHD, PTSD and SAD, and it's been playing up bad lately), so I thought I'd have a go at the domain game (after finding out it is actually a thing!) to pass the time and hopefully make an income. I've taught myself some basic coding and still learning more. The domain game though, is completely foreign to me. I see the potential, but I'm yet to convince my wife that any of the money I've forked out will come back! I have faith!

I've built a portfolio of about 950 domains over the past couple of months and am adding to it daily. I am yet to sell any. I've made an entire dollar through parking 🤑. It has been trial and error with a combination of generic alternative TLD's (forklift.agency, euro.bargains, stylish.bike etc.) which have given me a great portfolio value on EstiBot (I know that the value is subjective and probably not as high as EstiBot estimates, but it's nice to pretend that I own over $1M in intangible investment assets 🤣 🤑 🤣 🤑 🤣 ), more recently I'm playing the deleted domain game trying to stock up on good brandable names and descriptive traffic domains.

I've decided that I prefer the deleted .com game as they come with history and traffic, so I am going to focus on those moving forward. I have a couple of ideas in mind. In the mean time though, I need to start selling my generics. I want to sell them fast and for an ok price. I know I'm not going to get top dollar if I sell fast, but I need some cash flow to continue buying deleted stock and to create the business model I have finally settled on. I'm not sure whether to sell them individually at basement prices or whether to sell them as a lot or lots. I'll make a post in the appraisal section with a few of them to see what everyone thinks (or if anyone wants to buy some?).

I have heaps of learning to do still, so any tips and advice are always welcome and appreciated (unless it's condescending! I'm easy going, but I don't like smug arrogance). I especially need to learn what all the metrics and abbreviations are; there are so many!

I'd like to give a shout out of thanks to @Rob Monster from @Epik.com who has patiently helped me with some advice as I have forged out an unknown path forward.

My 15 year old son who is a natural at all things tech and online thinks that I have wasted my time and money! I'm ready to prove him wrong!

Cheers for the help and advice that I'm sure will come. I'm looking forward to being a successful member of this community!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hello and welcome to nps!

My immediate advice would be to stop buying until you sell a name. In my case (and most domainers would say the same if they are honest) I bought way too many names before focusing on selling those names. There are TONS of good domains out there on the aftermarket and for hand regging, but a great name is harder to find.

Put away your credit card/debit card and spend many hours here reading and learning. Take notes along the way as no matter how good your memory is, there are many tidbits that can get lost if you don't commit them to paper (or bits).

It is not a 'numbers' game...it is all about quality. Focus on selling...that is the hard part unless you have top tier domains. Even then it can take time...sometimes years...to move a name at full or near full retail value.

Note: if you are coming at this from the angle of 'flipping' the above may not apply. I am not a flipper so if that is your focus, start or find a thread addressing that aspect by using the search feature in upper right...best wishes!

•••
Hi and Welcome!
Make sure you learned enough before growing your portfolio further. New gtld are not liquid at all, as you may see at namebio.com.

•••
Hello iLawless, welcome to NamePros
I hope you can sell your 950 domains.

•••
Thanks @karmaco @Mister Funsky @Ntmt & @aelko

Yes, I have slowed right down now on buying domains. It’s quite addictive. It’s pretty easy to fall in that trap. I’m going to work on offloading the generics now (that’s about 600 of them from memory). Do any of you have ideas about flipping these quickly? Is it best to sell individually or broken into a few lots? I’ll still buy a couple if I see something really good, but my main focus has shifted to selling now.

@Mister Funsky how do determine a great domain from a good domain? Also, yes, I plan on flipping. I don’t have the patience to play the long game. I may do it with a few of the better ones, but for the most part I’m aiming to flip quickly.

I really appreciate the warm welcome and advice everyone. I’m actually writing from in bed now. It’s 1am here. I’ll post a few of these generic domains in another feed tomorrow and see what everyone says about value and method to clear them quickly.

cheers!

•••
@Mister Funsky how do determine a great domain from a good domain? Also, yes, I plan on flipping. I don’t have the patience to play the long game. I may do it with a few of the better ones, but for the most part I’m aiming to flip quickly.

In my case it comes down to defining an end user for a domain I want to buy or register. Then it has to be clean, easy to remember, relevant, not trademarked for use in my target market...just to name a few. It ultimately depends on my gut feeling. On any given day I can find/define 20 or 30 names that should sell within 5 years...SHOULD sell that is. Most wont, so I use my 'gut feeling' to help me whittle it down to 2 or 3 names. I've had a significant slump lately so buying has been on a hard hold...that means nothing would get purchased unless it could compete with a name or names I own that I consider to be higher tier...cant have a similar name out there for sale for less than mine! There are many strategies...you just have to find the one that works for you. If it were something that could be defined easily or quickly, we would all not be here trying to learn and get ideas. :xf.smile:

btw, if I have an awesome name that no one wants, I will eventually develop it in some way myself...that is another piece of my buying puzzle. If the name would not make me money when/if it is developed/monetized, I let it go by.

Last edited:
•••
Hello!

Well, that was among the more detailed and interesting intros I've read in quite some time.

Must agree with the earlier comments about the buying and the selling of domain names in that their sales may take a bit of time - months - years - if ever a buyer is found.

There is an APPRAISALS section here on NamePros, its' tab is at the top of the page, in which you might want to list a selection of names for members comments. Do note that not all names or listings receive comments and that the comments usually should be considered as opinions.

Read through the sales posts here on NamePros to get an idea about what has been selling, same with DN Journal and NameBio.

Welcome to NamePros!

•••
•••
•••
Hi iLawless, I read that you have studied anthropology, that is a good start. Then also you have had your fingers in Marketing and Business Development - another plus. These are both good foundations, IMO at least, as a foundation on which to build an interest in domaining.

My best tip to you I think is to say use your experience, including general life experience, to see who you think could be a potential customer for your domains, who and how those end users would truly benefit from not only owning the domain but from investing in the development and marketing of the domain. If you do not think they would make x10 - x100 their investment then start questioning whether the domain would interest the potential end-user. Generally have your prospective buyers mapped out in your mind before you even think of pressing that 'pay now' button.

One last thing, in this business no one is a real expert (least of all me let me assure you), some have made wise investments in the past and they have paid off handsomely for them, but the world changes and people change, just think most people spend more time on their 'phones' now texting, playing games, visiting sites, shopping, listening to music, etc., etc., than they actually do talking to people on the phone. The important thing here is that they 'see' advertisements all the time, humans actually read more now than ever in the past - just they do it on computers, laptops, tablets, and phones. With your marketing experience this could bode well for you.

Oh, and by the way, we will forgive the fact you come from Oz! :xf.grin::xf.laugh::ROFL:

Welcome aboard the craziest mining industry in the world - but unlike opal hunters there is little risk of the mine roof caving in on us. :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Hi there,

Welcome aboard!
Living with ADHD is hard, and a struggle in itself. All the best, and hope you make profit from your 750 domains!

I would personally suggest you to focus on a micro niche, like pronounceables in 4L.com or, brandables (future-tech focused brandables could be for example a micro niche in brandables) as they can turn into good investments, both for end user sales & flips ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
btw, if I have an awesome name that no one wants, I will eventually develop it in some way myself...that is another piece of my buying puzzle. If the name would not make me money when/if it is developed/monetized, I let it go by.

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty good with my gut instinct once I get rolling with things. I've never had trouble turning nothing into something just from gut instinct, so hopefully that works here too. I actually find that things get worse when I get too analytical, so it's great to see others that operate from gut instinct, as I falsely assumed the contrary.

That is pretty much my plan also. Once I'm set with a portfolio I'm happy with and they are all listed, I'll start developing one at a time and then I can sell it as a developed site or sit on it if it is pulling $.

•••
Hello!

Well, that was among the more detailed and interesting intros I've read in quite some time.

There is an APPRAISALS section here on NamePros, its' tab is at the top of the page, in which you might want to list a selection of names for members comments. Do note that not all names or listings receive comments and that the comments usually should be considered as opinions.

Thanks! Yeah, I like detail and to keep things interesting. Life can get boring otherwise.

I added some to the appraisals section, but as you said may happen, I haven't had any bites of the bait yet. Still early days!

•••
Hi iLawless, I read that you have studied anthropology, that is a good start. Then also you have had your fingers in Marketing and Business Development - another plus. These are both good foundations, IMO at least, as a foundation on which to build an interest in domaining.

Oh, and by the way, we will forgive the fact you come from Oz! :xf.grin::xf.laugh::ROFL:

Welcome aboard the craziest mining industry in the world - but unlike opal hunters there is little risk of the mine roof caving in on us. :xf.smile:

Thank you! Yes! I studied Anthropology. I originally did a double major in Marketing and Business Development in my first degree back in the 90's, and then hit middle age and thought I'd go and search for the meaning of life as one often does, so I ended up doing another double major in Anthropology and Philosophy! I finished that mid-2017.

My four majors plus my life experience actually all work amazingly together, more than one would suspect. I didn't expect that my recent degree would have such an impact on my previous business heavy degree and work history. But, as you said, Anthropology is a great start for this new business venture, as it has given me the tools to see the world through the eyes of my target market! I also studied a little psychology and psychiatry, so have a decent understanding and anticipation of consumer behaviour, once I add it to my business skills. Then philosophy just blew my brain into space and completely changed the way I think and also how I see and experience the world. It has given me a lot of strategic mental tools that will work a treat in this business. If I get into that though, I'll probably crash the servers! Once you start down the philosophy rabbit hole, it tends to keep going! I'm actually thinking of enrolling in a Masters of Digital Marketing now... we'll see about that though!

About my target market, I already know who they are, what they look like, what they are looking for etc. etc.. I just need to refine what I'm doing on my end and learn the tricks of the trade so that I don't look like an idiot at launch!

"Oh, and by the way, we will forgive the fact you come from Oz! :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.grin:" HA! That's 'cause you wish you were here! Where are you?

And I agree about the craziest mining industry in the world! I found it by accident and it sucked me in like a black hole!!!

Cheers! - BTW... It's Anthropology which makes me write long... I'm a victim of the discipline :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.grin:

•••
Hi there,

Welcome aboard!
Living with ADHD is hard, and a struggle in itself. All the best, and hope you make profit from your 750 domains!

I would personally suggest you to focus on a micro niche, like pronounceables in 4L.com or, brandables (future-tech focused brandables could be for example a micro niche in brandables) as they can turn into good investments, both for end user sales & flips ;)

Cheers
Thanks very much! The biggest struggle I've had with ADHD was that it wasn't discovered until last year and I had to discover it myself. I went and did another degree to work out what was wrong with me my whole life, I found the answer, have had it confirmed and am now being successfully treated for it. The lifetime of misdiagnosis and wrong medication was much harder. Can you believe people have paid me to go and tell my story about solving my own medical mystery around Australia? Me neither, but they did. then Corona started and the planes and plans stopped. ADHD does have advantages. It makes me creative and is good in starting businesses. I learn really fast as I go thanks to my rapid hyperactive brain. PTSD however is a B^%$H and has been punching me around the ring lately. Not too bad, but not too good either.

Sorry, stopped mid message to eat dinner! Yum.

Regarding a micro niche, that is a thing I struggle with and that is because of ADHD. Even medicated effectively, it's hard for me to stay focussed on anything niche. I get bored. I don't have the patience to hunt down 4L.com's. I need high quantity, small wins. So brandables is exactly what I'm doing, but I'm aiming for smaller margins but higher volumes (that's the plan). While being a niche itself, it has enough variety and pace for my anti-niche brain to manage. I'm really enjoying things so far; I'll enjoy it a bit more when I make a few $ and prove my family skeptics wrong! No doubt plenty more experiments and lessons will come and a lot more reading will be done, but it's all experience, and from a philosophical perspective, "experience" is the meaning of life! Thanks for the support!

•••
@karmaco @Mister Funsky @Ntmt @aelko @WatchDogue @OmarVG @internext @TheBaldOne @Save Breach

Thanks for all making me feel welcome and offering up advice! It's great to be here and great to be learning something new. You can probably see now why I said in the OP that I'm eccentric! I call it character! I should have also given a warning, that I see even a small question as an opportunity to tell my life story. 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers to flipping things that don't actually physically exist! Amazing!!!

•••
•••
Hello and welcome to NamePros!:)

•••
•••
[ I should have also given a warning, that I see even a small question as an opportunity to tell my life story. 🤣🤣🤣/QUOTE]

Although I am private and reserved online, since you are fine with " life story " questions, what field of Anthro did you study and did you anticipate a career in Anthropology?

I took many Anthro classes many years ago and enjoyed 'em all although there was no real career path to pursue except as a low paid Lecturer.

•••
•••
Hello
Welcome to the domain world

•••
•••
Nice introduction! It looks like you're going the quantity path of buy lots at not so high resell value. I also like dictionary word domains, they're the most sought after. .com dictionary words have the most value, 7 figure range. The other ones 4-6 figures depending on the extension and word.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back