Dynadot

domain "lifetale.com" - Short and Long-term Pricing Advice Needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mundher

Upgraded Member
Impact
Hi NamePros Community,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to get your expert opinions on the domain "lifetale.com." I would appreciate your insights on a fair market value for this domain. Additionally, I'm interested in your advice on the pricing strategy for both the short term and the long term.

I believe the domain has broad appeal and can easily be branded. It evokes storytelling and could also serve as a site for virtual or fantasy games, making it suitable for various industries. The domain is easy to remember and spell, which is crucial for building a strong online presence. Moreover, the name can be adapted to multiple niches, making it a versatile choice for different types of businesses or projects.

I am looking for your opinions on what would be a reasonable asking price if I were to sell it in the near future. Additionally, what would be an advisable price range to set if I were to hold onto the domain for a longer period?

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In general, when you buy/register a new domain. Your short term pricing is usually based on somebody else (hopefully a business) seeing the same potential that you've identified. Long term investments usually mean you've seen the name come into play over the years you've held onto it. Obviously, if you've guessed right you should be upping your listed price to reflect the current market interest.

It's difficult to be accurate every time. So at the outset/new registration it's difficult to identify exactly how future interest will come into play and whether you've tied it down with a great domain. Age of a domain alone means nothing in terms of value.

I don't see lifetale as being of any commercial value. Sure everyone has one to tell but that doesn't convert to selling value, No matter how long you hold onto it.

LifeStory is the far better statement domain

Last edited:
•••
In general, when you buy/register a new domain. Your short term pricing is usually based on somebody else (hopefully a business) seeing the same potential that you've identified. Long term investments usually mean you've seen the name come into play over the years you've held onto it. Obviously, if you've guessed right you should be upping your listed price to reflect the current market interest.

It's difficult to be accurate every time. So at the outset/new registration it's difficult to identify exactly how future interest will come into play and whether you've tied it down with a great domain. Age of a domain alone means nothing in terms of value.

I don't see lifetale as being of any commercial value. Sure everyone has one to tell but that doesn't convert to selling value, No matter how long you hold onto it.

LifeStory is the better statement domain
Thank you for your candid response and valuable insights regarding the domain "lifetale.com." I understand that pricing domains can be a complex and often imprecise process, especially when considering both short-term and long-term perspectives.

I see strong potential in "lifetale.com" for several reasons, including its suitability for various industries such as blogging, publishing, and virtual or fantasy games. It may not be immediately clear how this domain can achieve commercial value, but I believe that current trends in technology and social media might open new opportunities for this type of domain.

I appreciate your comments on the difficulty of predicting future interest and how it affects pricing. I will take this into account when considering my pricing strategy.

Thank you again for your feedback and insights.

•••
Before I start, a deep dive on pricing can take a lot of effort and time (at least it does for me) but a quick look, this is a name I would pick up if it were on the drop or available for xx at auction (this means that for a long hold, I would gamble on it).

A quick look shows several variations in use with a couple sites making a play at being something with widespread appeal.

What I'm saying is that would be a 'hold' name for me hoping one of the dozens that use a variation would want to pay to get a shortened version one day. It doesn't roll of the tongue, so a quick higher value buyer might not come along out of the blue...but you never know!

Actually, I'm curious what value you place on it...the two levels I look at for names are 'wholesale' and 'retail'...sometimes I look at pricing at 'full retail' which is the very most I would expect getting for a name.

•••
Before I start, a deep dive on pricing can take a lot of effort and time (at least it does for me) but a quick look, this is a name I would pick up if it were on the drop or available for xx at auction (this means that for a long hold, I would gamble on it).

A quick look shows several variations in use with a couple sites making a play at being something with widespread appeal.

What I'm saying is that would be a 'hold' name for me hoping one of the dozens that use a variation would want to pay to get a shortened version one day. It doesn't roll of the tongue, so a quick higher value buyer might not come along out of the blue...but you never know!

Actually, I'm curious what value you place on it...the two levels I look at for names are 'wholesale' and 'retail'...sometimes I look at pricing at 'full retail' which is the very most I would expect getting for a name.
Thank you for your detailed and helpful response. I completely understand that diving deep into pricing can take time and effort, and I greatly appreciate your quick and valuable insight.

It's great to know that "lifetale.com" has certain appeal. I agree that holding onto this domain could be a good long-term bet, especially if there's interest from sites using similar variations.

I appreciate your perspective on the difficulty of attracting a high-value buyer quickly, but I agree that surprises are always possible!

Regarding the value, I will be happy to share the sale price if I manage to sell it in the future. I think evaluating the domain in terms of "wholesale" and "retail" is a smart approach, and I will consider this framework when setting my strategy.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and time. I look forward to more fruitful discussions.

•••
I'd say mid-xxx to high-xxx in value. Hope you do well.

•••
I'd say mid-xxx to high-xxx in value. Hope you do well.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your estimate.
I appreciate your perspective and insights.

•••
Wholesale price $50-$100
Retail pricing $1500-$2500

As part of a larger portfolio, it is worth holding on to.

•••
Wholesale price $50-$100
Retail pricing $1500-$2500

As part of a larger portfolio, it is worth holding on to.
Thank you for your pricing insight.
I agree that it's worth holding on to as part of a larger portfolio.

•••
I'd suggest pricing it at $10,000 or more. If it were mine, I'd most likely add it to my GreatBrand(dot)com site ($100k and up), but my focus is different than most. Even at $100k, lease-to-own payments are only $2,083 per month. Any startup is going to be run by at least 4-6 people. That's $30-60k per month just in employee costs.

There are 2 other similarly named sites and several trade marks so there is or has been a lot of usage on the term.

1718690351608.png

Last edited:
•••
I'd suggest pricing it at $10,000 or more. If it were mine, I'd most likely add it to my GreatBrand(dot)com site ($100k and up), but my focus is different than most. Even at $100k, lease-to-own payments are only $2,083 per month. Any startup is going to be run by at least 4-6 people. That's $30-60k per month just in employee costs.

There are 2 other similarly named sites and several trade marks so there is or has been a lot of usage on the term.

Show attachment 258246

Thank you very much for your fair and detailed assessment.
I truly appreciate your guidance and the clarity you've provided.
I have an additional question if you don’t mind: Do you think that including this domain on your GreatBrand(dot)com site would be more advantageous than directly approaching these companies?
I would like to hear your opinion on whether this approach might offer additional benefits.

•••
You typically don't want to approach anyone because it's better if they approach you when they are at that next level. 9 times out of 10 I think a certain company might be interested, and a completely different company comes along and buys it. Because if a company exists and wanted it bad enough, you would have already heard from them.

Plus it puts you in a weaker negotiating position. Your offer page should be the anchor price that you start out with.

Last edited:
•••
First, you have to look at all the purposes it can be be used for. Then you have to look the similar names (lifetales.com, lifetale.co etc). Also, you have to look at - which ones sound better, tales comes to mind sooner than tale. People's site are more known to be plural and it is about multiple experiences/tales etc. If you tell someone about 'life tale' they are bound to type in tales first. Here goes your customer, if they go to lifetales.com - they will probably think this is what you meant.

Having an active lifetales.com site is a big disadvantage. You probably do not know if they have already trademarked - that is negative. No retail buyer is going to invest in a name if there is a similar sounding site in existence (unless they have drastically different use for the site - which is again highly doubtful). If you take literal meaning of site it means 'tale(s) of life' - I cannot imagine it can serve many purposes that is drastically different from 'tales of life'. Considering the following factors/limitations, you should price is at make an offer and be happy with any amount better than $500.

- Number of purposes (limited)
- More inclination of visitors to use 'tales' rather 'tale'
- Existence of similar sounding site/serving similar purpose.

We go to to extent of 'not' suggesting to retail buyer similar sounding names like 'tales of life', 'tale of life', 'tales in life', 'tale in life' etc etc.

One important criteria we always recommend - check the 'viability of the starting a business under this name'.

For this, you have to get detached from name yourself. Think of yourself as a buyer and you have excellent thought of how to start a business under this name, and money is not a crieteria - considering all the facts/considerations - would 'you' , 'yourself' would be going into a business venture under this name?

You will probably get an answer sooner than you think.

•••
First, you have to look at all the purposes it can be be used for. Then you have to look the similar names (lifetales.com, lifetale.co etc). Also, you have to look at - which ones sound better, tales comes to mind sooner than tale. People's site are more known to be plural and it is about multiple experiences/tales etc. If you tell someone about 'life tale' they are bound to type in tales first. Here goes your customer, if they go to lifetales.com - they will probably think this is what you meant.

Having an active lifetales.com site is a big disadvantage. You probably do not know if they have already trademarked - that is negative. No retail buyer is going to invest in a name if there is a similar sounding site in existence (unless they have drastically different use for the site - which is again highly doubtful). If you take literal meaning of site it means 'tale(s) of life' - I cannot imagine it can serve many purposes that is drastically different from 'tales of life'. Considering the following factors/limitations, you should price is at make an offer and be happy with any amount better than $500.

- Number of purposes (limited)
- More inclination of visitors to use 'tales' rather 'tale'
- Existence of similar sounding site/serving similar purpose.

We go to to extent of 'not' suggesting to retail buyer similar sounding names like 'tales of life', 'tale of life', 'tales in life', 'tale in life' etc etc.

One important criteria we always recommend - check the 'viability of the starting a business under this name'.

For this, you have to get detached from name yourself. Think of yourself as a buyer and you have excellent thought of how to start a business under this name, and money is not a crieteria - considering all the facts/considerations - would 'you' , 'yourself' would be going into a business venture under this name?

You will probably get an answer sooner than you think.
:xf.smile: Thank you for your valuable insights regarding the domain name "lifetale".
I would like to clarify my rationale behind choosing this domain in terms of business viability:

"Lifetale" was chosen with careful consideration for its potential in launching a commercial venture under this name. This domain offers great flexibility for various projects related to personal storytelling and narratives, and could also be suitable for a potential gaming project. "Lifetale.com" allows for creative initiatives and diverse experiences that enhance interaction and engagement across multiple fields, akin to how "Facebook" is used instead of "FacebookS".

To illustrate, when we consider "Facebook" as an example, it clearly conveys the idea and can serve as a strong reference in the digital market. Similarly, "lifetale" aims to carve out a unique and distinctive space for users to creatively share their stories and experiences.

I hope this explanation is clear.
If you have any further questions, I'm here to address them. :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back