Domain Empire

Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
" Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks, Your name isn't worth anything, if only it was dot com"

I'm so tired of hearing this same line being said over & over again on this forum by myself and the mass majority here. Even for great one word names that people have registered on other extensions, the same thing is continuoulsy said in the domain appraisal thread.

I will no longer refer to dot com as being a good extension, and only support the weaker extensions for use for now on. That's one of my goal for 2009, to bring out the public awareness of the awesome other extensions that are available.

I'm disappoinited in ICANN for designating dot com as the only extension for widespread use, and all of the people involved with making that one extension the leader when it comes to domains. I dare any registrar to not even include dot com on their list of tld's to choose from, and to only support the exotic extensions. Seriously.. start supporting the other extensions! Put the rare beauties at the top of your list, and put dot com on the bottom. These 60+ other extensions are just as good, and the only way they will become players in the domain world, is to start using them, developing hot sites on them, and opening people's minds to realize dot com isn't the only extension...

For now on the dot com extension is dead to me. :bah:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These threads are just over and over. I would bet if the op owned top keyword .coms he would be touting something different. Its all agenda, if you are Frank Schilling you blog about how .com is thee defacto standard, Rick Schwartz who wrote he would never develop a .net, if you have no great .com but great .mobi, then .mobi is the hot new extension to become the next great extension, if you own great idn then its all about IDN. Its natural its only human to support your agenda.

FACT DOMAINING is NOT DEVELOPING, DOMAINING is registering domains and selling them, or parking them and earning PPC.

Developing is starting a business if it is real development, Putting 3 adsense blocks on a page with an article you paid $10 for and an affiliate banner is not development IMO, again IMO.

FACT the most money has been made "DOMAINING" in .com, one just needs to review DN Journal or Namebio or any other sales site.

FACT the most money lost "DOMAINING" has been in .com 70million out of 78 million registrations have got to be low quality. $560,000,000 down the drain at $8 a reg.

.com is the extension of ecommerce so it will remain #1 in the public eye, of course there will be successes in other extensions. A greater chance for that success is to actually go out and do something and not pontificate in domain forums because at the end of the day no one is changing anyone's mind in the agenda based ideology of the domain industry. Look at the Cover Story on DN Journal, one of the guys top 3 tips only reg .com the domain dog just keeps going in a circle chasing its tail. .com>cctld>vanity>.com>vanity>cctld>.com etc.......... Again IMO

•••
metrisoft said:
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. It doesn't matter what we domainers think. What matters is the end-user (i.e. the vast majority of people who just use Google, Yahoo, eBay, YouTube, CNN, Facebook, and MySpace) and they only really see/hear about .com, .net, and .org. I happen to also like .info and .us for development but that's about as far as I will venture into the "sub-par" extensions.

Personally I have never seen much evidence of .net names selling well to endusers (.org also). .Com and popular country codes are the only game in town in my view.

•••
I think anyone who's spent anywhere near as much time on search engines as I have (hardcore nerd :] ) will find that just about all known content is already online -- you might not be able to find it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Other than new discoveries and the latest news/sports scores, there's not really much other reason to justify having hundreds/thousands of sites on the same topic. That doesn't mean they aren't useful and aren't fully capable of making loads of money for their owners however.

Take a minute to read about the Deep Web: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_web if you haven't done so already -- there's so much content on the web already that people aren't aware of and likely never will be.

You don't need to create tons of new content to be useful to people -- you just need to present existing content in a way that makes it useful for people. That could be as simple as making it easy to access, navigate, and trimmed of verbose garbage like etymologies that nobody other than a college student writing a paper is interested in.

wakish said:
What would you suggest? Are you having a different approach?

•••
com and org

greggish said:
I like .com and .org. I'm not interested in owning any of the other extensions, not even .net, although I do own just one of those.

The above statement is made by someone who has figured it out. Why is he right in most respects? Because .com and .org are the most publicly promoted domain extensions there are. However, many of the customers at Whypark.com are building out their ccTLD's and other extensions and seeing that content can work just as well for a non.com domain name for SE traffic.

Don't write off any domain with a nondotcom extension until you've worked on it "Content and Action", my new phrase for 2009! :wave:

•••
-REECE- said:
I think anyone who's spent anywhere near as much time on search engines as I have (hardcore nerd :] ) will find that just about all known content is already online -- you might not be able to find it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Other than new discoveries and the latest news/sports scores, there's not really much other reason to justify having hundreds/thousands of sites on the same topic. That doesn't mean they aren't useful and aren't fully capable of making loads of money for their owners however.

Take a minute to read about the Deep Web: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_web if you haven't done so already -- there's so much content on the web already that people aren't aware of and likely never will be.

You don't need to create tons of new content to be useful to people -- you just need to present existing content in a way that makes it useful for people. That could be as simple as making it easy to access, navigate, and trimmed of verbose garbage like etymologies that nobody other than a college student writing a paper is interested in.

I agree with your opinion. And REECE you have a very good informative blog on domains, very appreciated! And the best is that you are not monetizing it, meaning you are maximizing your blog for reader value, amazing! *Thumbs Up!*

•••
TheDeathof.ComTheory said:
So if Facebook buys .facebook and everyone has their own username.facebook domain name, that is going to strengthen the .com brand?

Yes, people will still type .com out of habit. The more people on the web, the more people on the .com. The more people remember .com. People won't remember all of these new tld's.

I mean lets face it, most of you here are invested heavily into .com so for your own personal agendas are going to keep saying that .com is KING and is going to be KING forever. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever and IMO .com domains will become synonymous with “the old web” or “my grandpa’s web”.

I personally invested in many extensions, idn's, etc.. In fact I have dot.es at auction on Sedo right now. The thing you miss is right in front of you. The largest companies in the world have branded the .com. There are no personal agenda's. They have ingrained the .com into the minds of the public so that it had become synonymous with the Internet itself.

Cool new extensions will become a HUGE hit with the youngsters. .TV will be the number 1 choice for online video / television, .mobi will be the number 1 choice for mobile sites, etc. In fact I’d say that it is already happening in those areas…

It's already happening? You couldn't be more far off than with this statement. Name me the top video site? youtube.com. How about the top ecommerce site? Amazon.com. How about the top social sites? Myspace,facebook, all .com. Top news sites? .com. There are no changes. .com is leading in all of those places, in fact even when these companies make another website with another tld it's not long before they seek the .com and the .com becomes very valuable due to the huge traffic increase. The .com is an essential part of every major company's portfolio.

.music and .game will most likely make a huge impact on the web. All musicians will want to have their own ‘Eminem’.music site! Game developers will want to release their own ‘OnlineGame'.game[

Again, if you are correct about this than why wasn't monster.jobs a huge hit? Instead here comes indeed.com, a new jobsite. Who uses a .travel site daily? Why do I need cnn.cnn or cnn.news when I can go to cnn.com? This may change but it will take a long, long time and in that time, all the traffic to these new tld's will go the .com. .com is branded and well established. I guess grandpa was right to stick with the .com.

•••
sportomoney said:
" Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks, Your name isn't worth anything, if only it was dot com"

I hardly see such opinions.

•••
Really? Their spread all throughout this forum. People claiming dot com is the only extension worth anything.

I can find 100 comments easily boosting the use of dot com up above "God" status. Just check out a few posts on the appraisal thread.

•••
sportomoney said:
For now on the dot com extension is dead to me. :bah:

Umm. I think that might limit your Internet browsing options a bit. In case you didn't notice this website is a dot com. B-)

•••
MicroGuy said:
Umm. I think that might limit your Internet browsing options a bit. In case you didn't notice this website is a dot com. B-)

Don't worry Greg - he can get it on Namepros.TV

•••
I like .com and .org. I'm not interested in owning any of the other extensions, not even .net, although I do own just one of those.

•••
If you listen to domainers in general you won't understand the value of other credible extensions. Most domainers totally underestimate the value of top keywords in credible extensions, as well as things like keyword domains separated by 1 well placed hyphen.

There are some countries in the rest of the world that really like .NET, more than .COM in some situations. To much of the world .COM is seen as the ccTLD of America and .NET is the generic.

.ORG works where appropriate.

Credible extensions after .COM offer the best ROI if you know what you are doing.

Brad

sportomoney said:

I'm so tired of hearing this same line being said over & over again on this forum by myself and the mass majority here. Even for great one word names that people have registered on other extensions, the same thing is continuoulsy said in the domain appraisal thread.

Last edited:
•••
Why do you think that is? I think most of us just like .com because it's the only one we see being widely used, it's the only one with the largest sales. It's the only one that has been commercialized for 15+ years now. Dot com is like that horrible pop song you hear on repeat each morning on the radio...
and just like Madonna it's time to retire..

greggish said:

•••
sportomoney said:
Why do you think that is? I think most of us just like .com because it's the only one we see being widely used, it's the only one with the largest sales. It's the only one that has been commercialized for 15+ years now. Dot com is like that horrible pop song you hear on repeat each morning on the radio...
and just like Madonna it's time to retire..

I said I like .org too.

Last edited:
•••
Hyphens? Dot com sucks?

This thread needs to be moved to the Blasphemy subforum. :laugh: :'( :laugh:

( Where's the dangerous and hot topic warning? Lol. :gl: )

•••
Development is King, every other use of a domain sucks :sold:

•••
Are you a .net fan? Or was it that you couldn't get MicroGuy.com :)

I know the .com forwards, just joking.

Brad

MicroGuy said:
Hyphens? Dot com sucks?

This thread needs to be moved to the Blasphemy subforum. :laugh: :'( :laugh:

( Where's the dangerous and hot topic warning? Lol. :gl: )

•••
-REECE- said:

Smartest man in the thread so far :)

•••
-REECE- said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

•••
-REECE- said:

Smartest man in the thread so far :)

Also note theres the same amount of good names in every extension :lol:

•••
In my opinion the real overrated extension is .net. If I could only have two extensions of the same domain, it would most of the time be the .com and .org. I wouldn't bother with the .net.

•••
NET/ORG offer way higher ROI for me than .COM, because it is easier to find bargains to start with.

Also keywords in those extensions are in the price range of most end users. Most end users don't have tens of thousands of dollars for a domain.

When you can pick a domain up for $20 - $25 and sell it for mid $XXX, it is a nice ROI.

Brad

greggish said:
In my opinion the real overrated extension is .net. If I could only have two extensions of the same domain, it would most of the time be the .com and .org. I wouldn't bother with the .net.

End users respect .net, and that is all that matters. NET is my highest ROI of any extension.

Brad

•••
Well, .ca rocks for me!
I have made more in sales and parking than
all of my .coms put together!

•••
ccTLD are highly undervalued also.

Brad

mis_chiff said:
Well, .ca rocks for me!
I have made more in sales and parking than
all of my .coms put together!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back