Dynadot

question Domain extension preference

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MarwanAshour

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

What are the exceptional cases that make any of other extensions rather than dot com a very good deal and should not be lost and must be acquired immediately?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't say that for any extension.

.com will always be #1

I sometimes use .net .org or .store for personal projects and as a placeholder until I get the .com

•••
•••
•••
Hi,

What are the exceptional cases that make any of other extensions rather than dot com a very good deal and should not be lost and must be acquired immediately?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
There's too many factors at play to be able to answer that. Sometimes, each niche has their own variables that are not present in other niches.

There's a lot of weight being put on the classic legacy gTLD (Generic top-level domain) .com by a majority of large portfolio investors, where you can see the balance leans more on the population of .com's than other extensions.

Everyone does it differently. Some investors are extension specific and will only deal in a specific extension to assist in market saturation, which slowly forces the reseller market value to rise as x amount of .extension domains are registered and renewed each year. This is commonly referred to as a hyped trend or market strategy.

Even with the above in mind, .com still seems to be the heavy weight champion of extensions, since it's saturation over the years is not just in reseller and hobbyists' markets, it's also lodged itself into the end user markets firmly. Making it harder for ngTLD's to compete with previous generations fortification of the extension.

It's a new generation now though, so ngTLD's are becoming a bit more mainstream every year.

There's a few contenders to take the .com heavy weight title, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Like with anything else, regardless of the extension, you'll need to do extensive research into the potential uses of a specific asset and formulate a pitch that outlines all the benefits and potentials it would have for a new start-up to launch their brand with it.

There's really no one way to determine all assets/extensions investment worth (E.g. a financial, medical, coffee, and adult niche will 9 times out of 10 have more value than a food recipe, work from home ebook, bicycle, and board games niche)

Without more information regarding the niche, it's also hard to match the before the dot and after the dot combination to speculate which it the better investment.

For instance, Food.club works as a Generic-phrase-hack, but Food.xyz doesn't really jive. - or - Illustration.design works as a Generic-phrase-hack, but Illustration.bid doesn't really jive fluently.

The combination play will have a big influence on whether or not a domain or extension is worth your short or long hold time/investment.

Personally, after playing in multiple extension swimming pools in the last x2 decades, I gravitated back to .com as my primary focus.

That's just my opinion though. Everyone does it differently. I'm sure you'll get some more helpful advice from other.

Last edited:
•••
There's too many factors at play to be able to answer that. Sometimes, each niche has their own variables that are not present in other niches.

There's a lot of weight being put on the classic legacy gTLD (Generic top-level domain) .com by a majority of large portfolio investors, where you can see the balance leans more on the population of .com's than other extensions.

Everyone does it differently. Some investors are extension specific and will only deal in a specific extension to assist in market saturation, which slowly forces the reseller market value to rise as x amount of .extension domains are registered and renewed each year. This is commonly referred to as a hyped trend or market strategy.

Even with the above in mind, .com still seems to be the heavy weight champion of extensions, since it's saturation over the years is not just in reseller and hobbyists' markets, it's also lodged itself into the end user markets firmly. Making it harder for ngTLD's to compete with previous generations fortification of the extension.

It's a new generation now though, so ngTLD's are becoming a bit more mainstream every year.

There's a few contenders to take the .com heavy weight title, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Like with anything else, regardless of the extension, you'll need to do extensive research into the potential uses of a specific asset and formulate a pitch that outlines all the benefits and potentials it would have for a new start-up to launch their brand with it.

There's really no one way to determine all assets/extensions investment worth (E.g. a financial, medical, coffee, and adult niche will 9 times out of 10 have more value than a food recipe, work from home ebook, bicycle, and board games niche)

Without more information regarding the niche, it's also hard to match the before the dot and after the dot combination to speculate which it the better investment.

For instance, Food.club works as a Generic-phrase-hack, but Food.xyz doesn't really jive. - or - Illustration.design works as a Generic-phrase-hack, but Illustration.bid doesn't really jive fluently.

The combination play will have a big influence on whether or not a domain or extension is worth your short or long hold time/investment.

Personally, after playing in multiple extension swimming pools in the last x2 decades, I gravitated back to .com as my primary focus.

That's just my opinion though. Everyone does it differently. I'm sure you'll get some more helpful advice from other.
Thanks a lot Eric for the very clear explanation and good guidance from your side.

Last edited:
•••
My blanket opinion , search volume marketability, potential business use , even then a Net , ORG or IO is worth 10% of Com at best.

•••
My blanket opinion , search volume marketability, potential business use , even then a Net , ORG or IO is worth 10% of Com at best.
Yes, you're right and this is what I come to know lastly.

Thanks for your time and contribution.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back