NameSilo

poll Domaining's version of March Madness - Who is the best registrar in the business? 2020 Edition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar in the business? 2020 Edition

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's time for the domain industry's version of March Madness

The best registrar in the business for 2020

Registrars that got less than 2 votes from last time were not included, Uniregistry being acquired by GoDaddy is not included.

the last big poll here.

Can NameSilo defend their crown? Will Epik finally come through and attain the top spot? GoDaddy always a contender. Any surprises?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@DanSanchez - we have agreed in the past about our annoyance with GoDaddy (understatement), but here I have to disagree with you. Hitting the "ignore" button is genererally the most irresponsible thing to do. Following that advice, there would never be any political argument in the world. If Donald Trump says something offensive or stupid, your advice would be to simply ignore it. As if you ignore it, it isn't there. In the meantime, the whole fabric of the country changes in an irreversible way. The same is happening on this forum where the fabric is changing. Maybe you want a forum where 50% of the people don't see what the other 50% are writing and vice versa, but that is not my idea of a community.

I would say exactly the same if Porkbun, Dynadot or any other registrar would be constantly spamming each single thread using it as a sales pitch to get more people to subscribe to their particular platform.

That's fine, thank you for disagreeing. But my counter argument is... This is not a republic. It is a private forum that relies on the private and voluntary contributions of companies that are successful in this space. Users are not compelled by law to sign up to the forum. Users are not granted a bill of forum rights. Users are not compelled by law to pay for the upkeep of the forum through taxation.

The ignore button works well for me personally, it has not changed the forum in a negative way at all. It's not about blocking 50% of the forum, but maybe 1% will suffice to make that experience as ideal as possible. Trust me, I wish this were not a necessity, but it is. And it will work once people start taking personal responsibility for their voluntary choice in participating here.

•••
The censors on this forum are overbearing users that demand a cleansed experience. It is a marxist approach to utilize a central authority to limit speech.

Like I said. Those "censors" are the mods and the people that own the forum. They make the rules. They're the ones that decide what to restrict, ban, warn, infract, delete. You don't like it, add a forum to epik.com/forum. Dynadot has one.

My last post explained it pretty thoroughly, just reread it until it sinks in.

When you guys figure out where and where not to promote, none of these issues happen. That's on you.

Last edited:
•••
Like I said. Those "censors" are the mods and the people that own the forum. They make the rules. They're the ones that decide what to restrict, ban, warn, infract, delete.

Sure, but the censors in this case are those who berate the Epik threads and harass the mods with the report button. The mods are simply enforcers with authority.

•••
Sure, but the censors in this case are those who berate the Epik threads and harass the mods with the report button. The mods are simply enforcers with authority.

Again, reread my other post. You have plenty of threads where nobody is messing with you. I just explained to you the problem, when you start promoting in General topic areas. Those posts are getting multiple reports and the people who own this place agree with them or they wouldn't be getting deleted.

•••
My favorite registrar is now Dynadot. They have everything I need. Great control panel, good prices, loads of ccTLDs and support staff that are mostly very knowledgeable. One small thing that I love is that if you have a name in the Afternic DLS Fast Transfer, it will say "Afternic" next to your name in your Dynadot control panel.

Despite having had my differences with Rob Monster, I do still think Epik is a very good registrar and a clear No. 2. Great control panel and very nice options for payment plans. Very good and personal support. Also many ccTLDs, although it seems the accreditation for .ng never materialized.

I actually love Porkbun's control panel, but since they have so few ccTLDs and no integration with Sedo or Afternic, they can never become my registrar of choice.

NameSilo used to be great, but has gone downhill fast in my opinion. It seems the people who feared for their future after the founders sold out were correct.

As to Network Solutions getting votes, that must be because of their wonderful control panel and awesome support. Or something ;)

•••
So Rob gets banned from this thread for promotion and tag teams 3 employees to take his place. You guys have no chill.
Lets be fair. The removed post on the 1st page (now deleted) was a promotion. However, recent comments posted by @DanSanchez, @Sumeeth and @Makise are just this - comments which are appropriate for this thread. Similar occured in previous polls and was originated from different registrar representatives. No issues here imo. Employee voting is discussed in another poll.

Epik team - please keep up the good work :)

•••
It is interesting to see NetSol with 13 votes now. Didn't they have just one vote recently?
They are lucky to have one vote. NetSol and 1and1 Ionos embody everything that’s wrong with domain name registrars. Both try to grab newbies, as l was, by offering $1 domain name registering—and then charge an arm and a leg for renewal. At least, NetSol lets one know what a renewal will cost—a small fortune. Ionos virtually hides the fact that auto-renewal will take place at an exorbitant cost.

•••
As has been pointed out, this poll is virtually meaningless, for several reasons.

Just a little evidence: click on NetSol.... a quick glance shows that four of the votes are from:
Evidence (last seen timestamp) would suggest this particular user has some other accounts too.

With so many paid accounts around here, there's no way to tell how many people are voting multiple times.

I really couldn't care less, so not going to waste time "investigating" further, or getting caught up in the stupid namepros drama that is running wildly rampant nowadays -- just thought I'd point out one of the glaring issues. Despite the OP's good intentions, this is about as far from scientific as you could get. We've got a wildly disproportionate number of employees voting, paid influencers, people with multiple accounts, and who knows what else going on behind the scenes. Might as well draw a name from a hat.
I disagree with you 100 percent!!! I agree heartily with the poll that has
As has been pointed out, this poll is virtually meaningless, for several reasons.

Just a little evidence: click on NetSol.... a quick glance shows that four of the votes are from:
Evidence (last seen timestamp) would suggest this particular user has some other accounts too.

With so many paid accounts around here, there's no way to tell how many people are voting multiple times.

I really couldn't care less, so not going to waste time "investigating" further, or getting caught up in the stupid namepros drama that is running wildly rampant nowadays -- just thought I'd point out one of the glaring issues. Despite the OP's good intentions, this is about as far from scientific as you could get. We've got a wildly disproportionate number of employees voting, paid influencers, people with multiple accounts, and who knows what else going on behind the scenes. Might as well draw a name from a hat.

I disagree with you 100 percent!!! I agree heartily with the poll that has Epik, Dynadot and NameSilo.as three of the top four, and NetSol and 1and1 Ionos bringing up the rear.

Methinks YOU’RE the one who somehow is on the payroll of the outhouse (not penthouse) registrars. No evidence—other than your warped defense.

•••
Well the Epik voters certainly were not lost, as there was some kind of email or message sent out to these Epik Staff NamePro users to come on here and vote, that is if these are actual real, individual people behind the Epik Staff badge accounts.

And that's just counting the accounts with an Epik Staff badge, who knows how many of the other accounts are real that voted.

The only reason why I am posting in here is that something seems fishy..............

Very conspiratorial. As an employee of the company, I speak openly - we were not sent instructions to vote for Epik. I voted for Epik even if I didn't have a status "Epik.com Staff"

•••
I voted Epik.

Pros:
- Cheapest transfer / reg price I have come across - $6.99 for .com. (Godaddy just charged me $21 to renew my domain!! It was on auto renew). I transferred the remaining that are due to be renewed soon to Epik yesterday for $6.99 each.
- Bulk update facility for DNS, marketplace / landing page etc. I have less than 100 names but even then this saves me time and effort.
- Nice, easy to manage landers with built in payment plan options which are very flexible to meet your needs.
- Cool escrow options such as part domain, part cash and pure domain trade deals.
- Transparent interface / status codes. For example, when initiating a transfer there is a status panel that tells you what has succeeded and what parts of the transfer either failed or need attention.
- Active team on NamePros, CEO which is readily available to help.

Cons:
- Marketplace is not very mature when compared with Uniregistry and Godaddy - not many participants selling and buying domains but if growth continues I can see this improving greatly.
- No brokerage arm within sales platform as opposed to Uniregistry which allows you to assign a broker.

The Pros, greatly outweigh the cons and I will slowly be moving my domains over to Epik.

•••
IMHO, it is unfair (or unethical) that EPIK staff members are voting on this Poll.

To EPIK: If you play unfairly openly , who knows what you guys do behind closed doors.

As for me - you are wrong.

All participants are equal. I have been at this forum since 2016 and I am glad to be here. Even without the status of an employee - I would still vote for the Epik, because with every registrar I was familiar firsthand. I kept the domains there, used the services.

When you say that employees can 't vote for their company, it 's like you're censoring all of us. We are also people and have views on what is happening around us.

I would like to briefly describe my experience with registrars:

1. InternetBS - Offshore Registrar. I know of many cases where it was used exclusively for dark matters. And continue to use.
  2. Porkbun - Funny registrar with a pig mascot. Attract only at the expense of low prices for new domains.
  3. NameCheap - The same as Porkbun. Lured me by cheap domains for 50 cents at the time.
  4. Name.com - happy hours that have already been canceled. Unfortunately, this is not an option. It is the Registrar for the common people, which is owned by Donuts.
  5. Dynadot - best? Possible. I was attracted to this Registrar due to low prices for domains. I don't want to keep domains there. This is a Registrar for selling and backorder domains, not for personal use. IMHO.
  6. 101Domain - overprice, overprice, overprice again
  7. NameBright - Dropcatch, HugeDomains and other brands for backorder and fast domain sales. No soul. Corporate soulless machine.
  8. Fabulous - $10 for each .com? You have 5000 domains? Get $8.49! But Epik`s provides this price to everyone at once.
  9. Domain.com - indian overprice not good for the word at all. Lots of strange sub-brands.
  10. NetworkSolutions - $35 for .com? You are crazy? Yes, IANA ID 2, but its not a reason for provide .com for that price!
  11. 1&1 - $1 reg., $20 renewal. I remember how they took my domain away from me.
  12. GoDaddy - corporate soulless machine from Arizona. Many sub-brands. It's like Reg.ru in Russia. Overprice for each service or leave.
  13. Hexonet - I know a person who owns a Registrar through this company. Pay ~10000 USD to get the cost price of $9.95 for. com. WOW
  14. NameSilo - Promo code. Promo code. Promo codes are everywhere. This Registrar has become popular due to promo codes and Resellers.
  15. Cloudflare - Wholesale prices? Maybe. But pay for CDN and DNS services. You need security for each domain. Just use calc. $20 x *number of your domains* = Wholesale its not a wholesale.
  16. Google - just registrar with $12 price for .com and many domain zones. Not good, not terrible.
  17. Moniker - register for $8.39, renew for $12.49. Part of CentralNic.
  18. Sav.com - registrar, who works only for marketplace sales
  19. Enom - Pay $100 000 for receive a $9.00 .com price. Good.
I don 't distinguish Epik from the others. This post — I'm not defending Epik. I just say "IMHO".

Last edited:
•••
Dynadot - best? Possible. I was attracted to this Registrar due to low prices for domains. I don't want to keep domains there. This is a Registrar for selling and backorder domains, not for personal use. IMHO.

So you think Dynadot is possibly the best, were attracted to them because of their low prices but "not for personal use"? What does that even mean? Low prices and possibly the best registrar seems like that is a good thing.

•••

All participants are equal. I have been at this forum since 2016 and I am glad to be here. Even without the status of an employee - I would still vote for the Epik, because with every registrar I was familiar firsthand. I kept the domains there, used the services.

When you say that employees can 't vote for their company, it 's like you're censoring all of us. We are also people and have views on what is happening around us.

1. InternetBS - Offshore Registrar. I know of many cases where it was used exclusively for dark matters. And continue to use.
  2. Porkbun - Funny registrar with a pig mascot. Attract only at the expense of low prices for new domains.
  3. NameCheap - The same as Porkbun. Lured me by cheap domains for 50 cents at the time.
  4. Name.com - happy hours that have already been canceled. Unfortunately, this is not an option. It is the Registrar for the common people, which is owned by Donuts.
  5. Dynadot - best? Possible. I was attracted to this Registrar due to low prices for domains. I don't want to keep domains there. This is a Registrar for selling and backorder domains, not for personal use. IMHO.
  7. NameBright - Dropcatch, HugeDomains and other brands for backorder and fast domain sales. No soul. Corporate soulless machine.
  8. Fabulous - $10 for each .com? You have 5000 domains? Get $8.49! But Epik`s provides this price to everyone at once.
  9. Domain.com - indian overprice not good for the word at all. Lots of strange sub-brands.
  10. NetworkSolutions - $35 for .com? You are crazy? Yes, IANA ID 2, but its not a reason for provide .com for that price!
  11. 1&1 - $1 reg., $20 renewal. I remember how they took my domain away from me.
  12. GoDaddy - corporate soulless machine from Arizona. Many sub-brands. It's like Reg.ru in Russia. Overprice for each service or leave.
  13. Hexonet - I know a person who owns a Registrar through this company. Pay ~10000 USD to get the cost price of $9.95 for. com. WOW
  14. NameSilo - Promo code. Promo code. Promo codes are everywhere. This Registrar has become popular due to promo codes and Resellers.
  15. Cloudflare - Wholesale prices? Maybe. But pay for CDN and DNS services. You need security for each domain. Just use calc. $20 x *number of your domains* = Wholesale its not a wholesale.
  16. Google - just registrar with $12 price for .com and many domain zones. Not good, not terrible.
I don 't distinguish Epik from the others. This post — I'm not defending Epik. I just say "IMHO".

I think it is not fair to review other registrars or competitors when they are not actively posting here and reviewing your own business too. You could have spent that time explaining what your registrar has and differs from the others without mentioning them, this is how I think it should be.

•••

As a matter of fact, some of the info posted is either outdated or incomplete.

InternetBS - was originally incorporated in Bahamas (and still is), but was later acquired by CentralNic Group PLC. Therefore, not 100% offshore nowadays. Works reasonably OK. Good prices. Having domains registered with non-U.S. registrars may be critical (or, at least, recommended) for 100% legitimate non-U.S. registrants in many cases- but it is another story, discussed on NP earlier. As for bad domains - any registrar is vulnerable.

Porkbun - the founders are well known industry professionals (further details may be found online, would be irrelevant for this thread). Definitely a serious registrar. Endusers report positive experience. Funny name? Maybe... I did yet try them though, so no personal experience.

Dynadot - good for both endusers and for domainers, which is clearly shown in this poll. If you tried them - you should agree.

NameSilo - was acquired by an Investment firm on Aug 07, 2018. Still runs the system built by original founders. Might be an ideal registrar for all purposes, but stopped the development unfortunately. Promo codes and discounts? Yeah. So does Epik. "This Registrar has become popular due to promo codes and Resellers" - 100% disagree. It has become popular due to hard work of original founders which should serve as an example for any registrar trying to enter this niche, serving bulk registrants in particular.

Cloudflare - at cost pricing. Still not optimized for domainers, I did not bother to try, but endusers do use them and frequently. Which I see in routine whois checks performed as a part of a daily domainers job.

Google - I had no opportunity to try them, because of "Google Domains is available to anyone whose billing address is in one of our supported countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Vietnam. " (quote end). Since your country in NP profile is not from this list - can you confirm that you have a personal experience with them as your post implies? In any case, avoiding anything from google may be a good idea.

Last edited:
•••
So you think Dynadot is possibly the best, were attracted to them because of their low prices but "not for personal use"? What does that even mean? Low prices and possibly the best registrar seems like that is a good thing.

You do not understand me. I meant that he was probably the best, until I found another one.

I think it is not fair to review other registrars or competitors when they are not actively posting here and reviewing your own business too. You could have spent that time explaining what your registrar has and differs from the others without mentioning them, this is how I think it should be.

I took apart other registrars to show not all are perfect.

You can study the feedback from our customers and make sure that there are positive sides, like:

• Lowcost for domainers and good retail prices
  • Free Whois-Privacy and additional services (like hosting, SSL, VPN)
  • Free Marketplace and Parking Pages
My task on Namepros — not a PR campaign.
My task on Namepros — is to show you the alternative for Dynadot, Godaddy and other

As a matter of fact, some of the info posted is either outdated or incomplete.

InternetBS - was originally incorporated in Bahamas (and still is), but was later acquired by CentralNic Group PLC. Therefore, not 100% offshore nowadays. Works reasonably OK. Good prices. Having domains registered with non-U.S. registrars may be critical (or, at least, recommended) for 100% legitimate non-U.S. registrants in many cases- but it is another story, discussed on NP earlier. As for bad domains - any registrar is vulnerable.

Porkbun - the founders are well known industry professionals (further details may be found online, would be irrelevant for this thread). Definitely a serious registrar. Endusers report positive experience. Funny name? Maybe... I did yet try them though, so no personal experience.

Dynadot - good for both endusers and for domainers, which is clearly shown in this poll. If you tried them - you should agree.

NameSilo - was acquired by an Investment firm on Aug 07, 2018. Still runs the system built by original founders. Might be an ideal registrar for all purposes, but stopped the development unfortunately. Promo codes and discounts? Yeah. So does Epik. "This Registrar has become popular due to promo codes and Resellers" - 100% disagree. It has become popular due to hard work of original founders which should serve as an example for any registrar trying to enter this niche, serving bulk registrants in particular.

Cloudflare - at cost pricing. Still not optimized for domainers, I did not bother to try, but endusers do use them and frequently. Which I see in route whois checks performed as a part of a daily domainers job.

Google - I had no opportunity to try them, because of "Google Domains is available to anyone whose billing address is in one of our supported countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Vietnam. " (quote end). Since your country in NP profile is not from this list - can you confirm that you have a personal experience with them as your post implies? In any case, avoiding anything from google may be a good idea.

Thanks for your reply.

What about registrars (IMHO):
  1. InternetBS - fully agreed. But for now, it's offshore registrar.
  2. Porkbun - I am happy for them. I registered a couple of domains with them. I hope that we will be able to surpass them in some way.
  3. Dynadot - as for me, Dynadot became popular due to the fact that they place ads and offer interesting offers for domainers. We will try to do the same.
  4. NameSilo - I agree. I ask @Rob Monster, please check the history of their success. Perhaps we will re-use the valuable experience.
  5. Cloudflare - slowly, some move domains. But without additional services - this Registrar, only an additional service to the main offers (CDN, DNS).
  6. Google - I registered domains for some clients in Google (.dev .app). Regional restrictions do not mean that they refuse money.

•••
I chose Epik for checking the most boxes for my needs and for me Dynadot is in 2nd place. Dynadot’s market and landers suck from the perspective of the seller not very friendly. Payout restrictions etc. The ease of use and dashboard is nice. Frequent deals that are domainer friendly is also nice.

NameCheap and NameSilo in 3rd place. Both have flaws but at least NameCheap still runs actual deals occasionally.

NameSilo has a competent market but doesn’t rush to pay you like some other places do. NameSilos expired stream is rather broken with sellers letting their good name go til the auction is almost over and then clawing back. So alot of time wasting following auctions there.

•••
What epik is the best site I have ever visited and a very helpful site for domain investors. And a very good company for domain registration.

•••
This time Either of Dynadot or Epik will lead the chart IMO.
Wow, I never have been that perfect with my observations. Godaddy was no.1 in first poll, 2nd in 2nd poll and now very likely be the no. 3 in third poll. They must be doing something wrong 🤔

•••
My Fav 10

1. - Dynadot.com
2. - Epik.com
3. - NameSilo.com
4. - Name.com
5. - Porkbun.com
6. - ConnectReseller (Young but they have a bright future IMO)
7. - GoDaddy
8. - NameCheap
9. - InternetBS
10. - NameBright

•••
Epik, in a way, reminds me of a great letter once written:

Dear Kate,

Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. The troublemakers.
 The problem child. The round pegs in the square holes.
 The ones who see things differently.

They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo.

You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you cannot do is ignore them.
Because they change things.

They invent. They imagine. They heal.
 They explore. They create. They inspire. 
They push the human race forward.

Maybe they have to be crazy. 

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art?
 Or sit in silence and hear a song that has never been written?
 Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?

We make tools for these kinds of people.

While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. 
Because people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Take care,
John Appleseed

•••
Geez, this Poll thread has maximum replies by EPIK employees and you are complaining about censoring?

Imagine if GoDaddy with most employees by far, would direct 10% of their employees to use NamePros to vote here for GD, would that be fair ?

•••

•••
While I have a majority of domains in Namecheap, I think Dynadot has a very versatile UI and easy managing(although I dislike the grace period). My new registrations have been going there recently.

Considered EPIK, but the pricing is sometimes too high.

The biggest dealbreaker for me, however, is the tagging or note sections. Namecheap has an easy way to add it, without hassle. Dynadot has folders that are quite easy to manage. EPIK has notes or something similar, but it has 2-3 screens and clicks to go through which is way too big of a hassle.

•••
This is a useless, biased and flawed poll and I think NP knows that. To not include Gandi in the poll is a total joke!

•••
my fav list

123-reg.co.uk cheap dot coms with fast transfer out, free dns👍

hostpapa.com cheap dot coms with fast transfer out, good support, trusted👍

netsol cheap coms 👍 sold many dot coms with them my best sale was for 1k through GD. but have had some issues with updating ns and email though

name.com trusted. 👍

Epik have own marketplace, plus free wordpress 👍

porkbun just works without bs👍 trusted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back