Dynadot

poll Domaining's version of March Madness - Who is the best registrar in the business? 2020 Edition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar in the business? 2020 Edition

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's time for the domain industry's version of March Madness

The best registrar in the business for 2020

Registrars that got less than 2 votes from last time were not included, Uniregistry being acquired by GoDaddy is not included.

the last big poll here.

Can NameSilo defend their crown? Will Epik finally come through and attain the top spot? GoDaddy always a contender. Any surprises?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Forget it.

Follow Rob’s lead, Stay classy like Rob!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Forget it.

Follow Rob’s lead, Stay classy like Rob!

Samer

We try to maintain a positive environment. But you can't hide from discontent. Your really honest reviews help us fix our mistakes and make services better. But transition to the individual is not allowed.

Everyone, who voted for Epik — it's good. Everyone who voted for Dynadot — is great! We see that it is possible that something is not pleasant and it can be corrected. Improve the terms, services, or other.

All the people who voted for Epik did it consciously. We just try to do everything to make people vote without additional motivation. Consciously and with a clear mind.

Last edited:
•••
I think the intent on this poll was to see what the typically Namepros user thinks is the best registrar of 2020, however, it looks like staff members of one of the choices within that poll are voting and commenting in defense of their company, skewing the numbers.

•••
After purchasing domain on Dropcatch, he`s transferred to them. Perhaps for this reason in the first place.

I get names from dropcatch too. But they can be transferred after 60 days. Namebright.com interface is just plain weird imo.

•••
I think the intent on this poll was to see what the typically Namepros user thinks is the best registrar of 2020, however, it looks like staff members of one of the choices within that poll are voting and commenting in defense of their company, skewing the numbers.

Epik`s team is also a regular users. With my answers above, I tried to voice my thoughts as unbiased as possible. And my colleagues too.

I get names from dropcatch too. But they can be transferred after 60 days. Namebright.com interface is just plain weird imo.

It will be good if you write a short review "why do you think so" to me in the PM.

•••
Below are all the NamePros accounts that voted for Epik, with a note of which accounts have a Epik.com Staff badge on them.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you very much Grilled. I've been an avid collector of domain names since the 90's, and my first two letter domain sale dates back nearly two decades. Have owned more than 25,000 names and placed probably half that number in terms of new startup campaigns or project upgrades. The highest single billing I've seen for a new brand and domain name creation was $100 million for transitioning Andersen Consulting to Accenture, and I believe there are elements of your industry that have been working very hard to reduce the value of domains for their own strategic purposes.

For many years we were part of a private ad agency that was anchored to critical infrastructure assurance. Have worked heavily with ad agencies and development incubators to provide messaging components suitable for national or global campaigns. I've not interacted with the domaining sector much, as it always looked to be (ironically) removed from the real value domain names played. A good way to look at it is take Red Books for example, a tool used to compile roughly 1.5 million information sources covering 100,000 brands, 250,000 decision makers, and 14,000 ad agencies. It reflects billions of dollars in RFQ's and RFP's for major campaign budgets and calls for creative work. A good deal of these slogans, campaign spends, and project assignments center around great domain names as the primary promotional anchor. So there is nothing crazier in my view than to watch public companies try to create robots that tell you your domain is only worth $1500, when it could have just as easily been used to close a $300 million campaign for Pampers. Beware the organizations who would reduce your passion and lifeblood to mere widgets orientated for higher shareholder dividends. If you need positive assurance, look up the campaign expenditures for active marketing budgets for the Fortune 500 companies alone, let alone the hundreds of thousands of new startups and expansions coordinated every year.

The best message I could give domainers is to dream big, and whenever possible - visualize and imagine who exactly would be the best case scenario for buying your domain name and why... The more detail and clarity you can provide towards envisioning the end buyer and their specific purpose, the more you can then work to add additional value propositions onto the name itself by understanding the strategic role it can play.

I've been encouraged this past month to share some of our market strategies, and I love visual creativity and expressions so decided to step up to the task. We've never utilized social media before, but I have put together since February 6th a Twitter account to highlight and detail a wide variety of strategies that could apply to an assortment of names. Some of you have been graceful enough to reach out and introduce yourself over Twitter already and say hello, as well as provide encouraging comments. We learn forward to learning and sharing through every interaction, so I am very appreciative of the correspondence and uplifting comments. It is a great community here, and if there is anything I can do or recommend to help further encourage the opportunities of Namepro members, I will do my best.

I would welcome you though to visit if you would like a fresh look at what is possible. Our posts just from Feb 6 alone should be a refreshing look at what you can still achieve and how great names can still be utilized.

With respects to past use, I had setup an account a few years ago to buy some domain names from one of your members. It is the only interaction I've ever had on this forum, although I've visited it a few times over the years due to some compelling industry conversations. I would suggest that with a world that is being polarized heavily so that a handful of individuals can try and shift power around, don't fall victim to the hate, assumptions, judgement, criticism, galvanization, and craziness that is causing so many of our brothers and sisters to lose their minds. You lower your vibration, your very energy signature becomes lessened, and you attract more of the same in your life and never even know why.

Domainers are some of the most optimistic dreamers for a better tomorrow that I've ever met. I consider it a privilege every single day to even have the opportunity to work in this industry, and am thankful to God for it.

Peace and blessings!
Rob...i think I may have gotten a little carried away thanking you for your recent contribution to NP, and I totally forgot to say that Epik is my #1 go to registrar and Go Daddy is #2. Thanks again(y)

•••
Not all those who wander are lost!

Not everyone who voted for Epik are shills!

•••
love the voter Audit :)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Not all those who wander are lost!

Not everyone who voted for Epik are shills!

Well the Epik voters certainly were not lost, as there was some kind of email or message sent out to these Epik Staff NamePro users to come on here and vote, that is if these are actual real, individual people behind the Epik Staff badge accounts.

And that's just counting the accounts with an Epik Staff badge, who knows how many of the other accounts are real that voted.

The only reason why I am posting in here is that something seems fishy..............

Last edited:
•••
It's time for the domain industry's version of March Madness

The best registrar in the business for 2020

Registrars that got less than 2 votes from last time were not included, Uniregistry being acquired by GoDaddy is not included.

the last big poll here.

Can NameSilo defend their crown? Will Epik finally come through and attain the top spot? GoDaddy always a contender. Any surprises?

I think Uniregistry should be added since I cannot choose GoDaddy because even though GD acquired Uni, both are still different in terms of platform and usage. They aren't merged into one registrar with same control panel, features, etc. I would want to choose Uni over GD.

•••
Well the Epik voters certainly were not lost, as there was some kind of email or message sent out to these Epik Staff NamePro users to come on here and vote, that is if these are actual real, individual people behind the Epik Staff badge accounts.

And that's just counting the accounts with an Epik Staff badge, who knows how many of the other accounts are real that voted.

The only reason why I am posting in here is that something seems fishy..............

What's fishy about every single one of us making a strong impact on hundreds of individuals, and a small number of those voted in our favor? Perhaps we haven't dealt with you yet, but if you ever need help you will find Rob (especially), myself, or any of our staff are here on the forums and available via email instantly. Do you see any other registrar, escrow, marketplace doing that 8-12 hours a day, every day?

•••
@dncafe

This poll is in NO WAY, representative of the entire domaining community. But those who registered here and cared to vote.

Why do people attach so much weightage to this internet poll?

I started with a registrar who closed down. Then to Godaddy. Then another registrar. Now to Epik as I noted their service.

I found Epik doesn't have scale of others, but is constantly trying to outdo them with customer service. I am a business guy myself, and that is the way to do things, when you are small. It works for me in my business, it will work for others too.

As for over-promotion, mods have to take a call and Rob himself has to decide.

•••
Wish I could choose multiple: NameSilo, Dynadot, Epik and GoDaddy imo.

As a side it's sad to see multiple established members leaving the site in the last week or whenever due to increasing polarisation. It would really help if mods had an open discussion with all members for a solution to de-escalate before any more leave, NP should be a place people enjoy visiting and learning from

Last edited:
•••
I think Uniregistry should be added since I cannot choose GoDaddy because even though GD acquired Uni, both are still different in terms of platform and usage. They aren't merged into one registrar with same control panel, features, etc. I would want to choose Uni over GD.

Nothing is being added so you can choose not to vote if you like. There is no option for adding.

•••
Nothing is being added so you can choose not to vote if you like.

No way; Godaddy is the closest vote to Uni
if you love Uni, vote for the parent company,
@AbdulBasit.com

you even use afternic landers! cmon :)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I only have one account. I'm not a fake vote.

I voted Epik for my own reasons especially for their customer service.

P.S. I do not work for Epik. I'm just a customer who likes their service

•••
No way; Godaddy is the closest vote to Uni
if you love Uni, vote for the parent company,
@AbdulBasit.com

you even use afternic landers! cmon :)

Samer

May be closest but not the same.
How come using Afternic landers should make to vote for GD! :xf.eek: :-P
Registrar is different than a sales lander.

•••
May be closest but the same.
How come using Afternic landers should make to vote for GD! :xf.eek: :-P
Registrar is different than a sales lander.

Cuz GD owns Afternic!

they kept the brands separate. Sorry diff tho!

Sorry! :)

•••
Nothing is being added so you can choose not to vote if you like. There is no option for adding.

No problem!
I won't be giving my vote.

•••
No problem!
I won't be giving my vote.

I respect that. lol i have wierd logic i know :xf.rolleyes:

It still amazes me Godaddy owns afternic

Since afternic is successful, this tells me they’ll be able integrate Uni same even better too:)

thx for reply,
Samer

Last edited:
•••
Cuz GD owns Afternic!

they kept the brands separate. Sorry diff tho!

Sorry! :)

It's not about who owns it and if it comes under the umbrella of GD. The poll is who's the best registrar in the business. And Uniregistry currently having total different interface, pricing structure, etc. So it's totally different as a registrar.

Suppose all registrars are owned by GD and the same question is asked, how can one select GD and not the ten different registrars given in the poll? Only because they all are owned by GD?

•••

The only thing that is fishy is why you can't accept that many REAL users choose Epik. Does it really matter to you that much that you need to thorw shade on everyone who voted for Epik. Why not accuse Dynadot of the same, they have many votes as well. Why do you feel the need to single out Epik?

•••
It's not about who owns it and if it comes under the umbrella of GD. The poll is who's the best registrar in the business. And Uniregistry currently having total different interface, pricing structure, etc. So it's totally different as a registrar.

Suppose all registrars are owned by GD and the same question is asked, how can one select GD and not the ten different registrars given in the poll? Only because they all are owned by GD?

then you pick Godaddy by default.

the other registrars would be a subsidiary and extension of Godaddy, and Godaddy would be the only one you’d be able vote for (parent)

even though they’ve done masterful job separating previous acquisition (afternic, 2013)

•••
I respect that. lol i have wierd logic i know :xf.rolleyes:

It still amazes me Godaddy owns afternic

Since afternic is successful, this tells me they’ll be able integrate Uni same even better too:)

thx for reply,
Samer

They've already started integrating that by offering Fast Transfers. But again GD, Afternic, Uni all are different platforms yet owned by GD.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back