Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see many nonsense posts like $0, not developed, not .com, etc. people saying these things are either dumb or just compiling number of posts.

Why ask for a developed domain when it is a domain appraisal folder. If is it developed, it is not just a domain anymore, right?

With the above argument, even if you post a newly-registered car.com, a dumb appraiser will still tell you it's $0 because it is not developed.

Majority of comments on appraisal folder are useless and I think the admin should check and consider having some specific rules in there.

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The problem of the crappy posts is not an appraisal problem

Brand Building

An unoriginal post with no attributions followed by what can best be described as mostly nonsense.

It's happening quite a bit, I believe xrumer is the problem. Many forums/sites have this problem these days. The bot starts by posting weird and nonsense posts, and then later start posting links in posts/their signature hoping to create traffic to sites posted/listed.

3D is the worst appraiser of names. He thinks SoFlo.net is worth more than I would offer for it... jerk. :lol: (it's worth more than I would offer)

lol, I was wondering where the "views on offers" were coming from since parking it at Sedo. There was a month that it got 12 views :hehe:

•••
Just spent half an hour reading up on the new posts on DNF, where people were biting each other's heads off, and I have seen many of those threads. Made me remember why I like Namepros so much:xf.love:

What has that got to do with this thread? Well, I was one of the persons in the beginning of the thread advocating more restrictions on newbies like myself in the appraisal section. However, there is something to be said for a friendly including environment where everyone feels welcome to participate.

Thanks for the welcome, Iowadawg (http://www.namepros.com/welcome-cen...mes-all-new-members-namepros.html#post4368946). Great to be here :)

PS: Sorry if this is slighly off topic.

•••
To be perfectly honest, I tend to find that if the OP wants more information regarding an appraisal, he will ask further questions in the thread.

Re: the Nazii thread - I agree with everyones comments. The domain would always be associated with the word 'Nazi', meaning that would hinder its reseller value. As I said before, not everyone has the same ideas about a domain Erandi - if you don't like what someone has said, you can engage in healthy debate with them, there is really no point having arguments that lead to fallings out over a difference of opinions on something that really matters little to either arguing party.

Perhaps a solution to the "problem" of $0 appraisals, would be to create a separate section for newly reg'd names, i.e., reg'd less than 12 months ago-that way, if the member sees a $0, he/she shouldn't be surprised. The likelihood of it being crap is quite high in this case, unless the name was dropped and reg'd-but that could also still be crap.

I actually don't agree with this (sorry 3D!) - it is still possibly to hand reg domains with value - and I do seem them occasionally pop up. The last thing this forum needs is a) a new sub section and b) a sub section that says to new users 'post your domains here for a $0 appraisal'

As Eric has consistently said, the Appraisals forum is one of the most important forums that attracts people to NamePros - so we need to make sure we encourage new appraisals.

Just my 2c of course! :hearts:

:wave:

•••
"Re: the Nazii thread - I agree with everyones comments. The domain would always be associated with the word 'Nazi', meaning that would hinder its reseller value. As I said before, not everyone has the same ideas about a domain Erandi"
associated, but not the same! Why don't these guys step back and accept they were wrong? Is that so hard?
"there is really no point having arguments"
Yes, I understood that now, too late actually. I didn't know with what kind of people I was talking about.

•••
I actually don't agree with this (sorry 3D!) - it is still possibly to hand reg domains with value - and I do seem them occasionally pop up. The last thing this forum needs is a) a new sub section and b) a sub section that says to new users 'post your domains here for a $0 appraisal'

No need to apologize Sabre! But thanks though. :great:

I agree that there are some decent names out there available to reg (although very rare to find).

But the majority of the hand reg names posted in the appraisal section are bad.

I hardly reg names, although I did reg 3 names over July/August period. They were all names which were dropped.

What I find annoying in the appraisal section regarding hand reg names by new members is that an appraisal is asked for, a detailed appraisal is (sometimes) given and then the OP gets angry saying the appraisal is uneducated/the member appraising clearly doesn't know what makes a name valuable, etc. The name-calling is bad. :D.

Many of the guys just want the appraisal to be something which they would like to hear vs. something which is realistic.

Then new members wonder why no one wants to appraise their names. You see stuff like, "Bump. No one out there?" :hehe:

On a different note, but relevant to the topic: is the bumping of appraisal threads over extended periods of time for higher appraisals.

3DMovie.com is an example. The appraisals were very positive at the beginning, but the OP constantly bumped the thread for two months, obviously hoping to hear even higher appraisals. But then people started investigating the price he said he bought it at (which turned out to be not true) and then he got angry calling people names.

The "bumping" of appraisal threads over extended periods allows members enough time to research the name, and when that research is posted, the OP gets angry. I've noticed that bumping for higher appraisals (which could be sometimes out of greed) doesn't turn out as good as the OP intended.

But it is the choice of the OP, and if he/she wants more appraisals, he/she should respect every single one which comes their way.

•••
Ok, this argument has been going on for years.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind here, and in my opinion, it's pretty simple.

If the OP in an appraisal thread really wants a valued response, they should do their own due dilligence and post search #'s, previous sales of similar names, and other sources that would explain WHY they reg'd/bought the name in the first place.
This gives the serious appraisers a head start, and if they see any value in researching the name further, they will.
Also, if the OP gives enough info from the start, it is really hard for the dunderheads trying to show off their knowledge with simple "regfee" answers.
You only get back what you put into anything.

Now, from the other side, the OP should always consider the source of an appraisal. Period.
Check their post history to see if someone really knows what they are talking about, or just post padding, or, as in too many cases, are just assclowns trying to make themselves feel good at others expense.
You have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Peace,
Cyberian

Last edited:
•••
If the OP in an appraisal thread really wants a valued response, they should do their own due dilligence and post search #'s, previous sales of similar names, and other sources that would explain WHY they reg'd/bought the name in the first place.
This gives the serious appraisers a head start, and if they see any value in researching the name further, they will.
It is a very good point. Consider the following scenario.

---------------------------------------------

OP: please appraise onlycrappykeywords.com

Appraiser 1: $0

Appraiser 2: not even a reg fee

OP: any other opinions?

Appraiser 3: it is total crap, you should drop it and never register a domain name again

OP: You all bunch of idiots and don't know how to appraise. Have anyone of you clowns bothered to check that all other possible extensions of onlycrappykeywords are taken and onlycrappykeywords.net is developed PR11 site, and right on the front page on that .net site there is a note that they would like to buy .com version for $50,000?

Apprasers 1,2,3: I guess that is the respect we get for trying to help >:(

Shall we make some initial info about the name to be appraised mandatory?

•••
Domain appraisal has become the same as talking (giving opinions) about a book without even knowing what's the book about.

•••
Domain appraisal has become the same as talking (giving opinions) about a book without even knowing what's the book about.

Domain name appraisals are similar to that.

Judging a book by its cover (name).

Last edited:
•••
It is a very good point. Consider the following scenario.

OP: please appraise onlycrappykeywords.com

Appraiser 1: $0

Appraiser 2: not even a reg fee

OP: any other opinions?

Appraiser 3: it is total crap, you should drop it and never register a domain name again

OP: You all bunch of idiots and don't know how to appraise. Have anyone of you clowns bothered to check that all other possible extensions of onlycrappykeywords are taken and onlycrappykeywords.net is developed PR11 site, and right on the front page on that .net site there is a note that they would like to buy .com version for $50,000?

Apprasers 1,2,3: I guess that is the respect we get for trying to help >:(

Shall we make some initial info about the name to be appraised mandatory?

Appraisers 1,2, and 3 got the respect they deserved for posting about something they have no knowledge about. They could have at least checked that the other ext's were taken to see onlycrappykeywords.COM MIGHT have value over regfee before they posted.
The OP got what he deserved for not providing enough information in the first place.

This is referenced in the link below, but just check out this admittedly extreme example.
http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/78354-kr-org.html

Like I said, this debate has been going on a long time.
Here is another thread from 05,
http://www.namepros.com/the-break-room/76303-frustration-central.html
where a :great: expressed the same frustration as the OP here.
The same arguments from both sides of the coin, ad nasum.

And, there are many such threads that I'm just too lazy to look back up.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
Cyberian said:
Appraisers 1,2, and 3 got the respect they deserved for posting about something they have no knowledge about. They could have at least checked that the other ext's were taken to see onlycrappykeywords.COM MIGHT have value over regfee before they posted.

The OP got what he deserved for not providing enough information in the first place.

I think this is the main and first problem.
Why Appraisers 1, 2 and 3 tried to appraise the domain if they don't want (have time) to make a fast research? Every one knows, if you want to appraise a domain you have to know some info, at last basic info that can influence the domain value (defaultuser, thank you for sharing to us your way of appraising a domain). Now if you, as an appraiser, don't have enough info, simply:
a) don't appraise
b) ask about more info
c) find the info you need by yourself

•••

The point I was trying to make is when the name looks like a crap at the first sight, few appraisers would go to check it further. They will reply with $0 or "reg fee" and will be right 95% of the time (thanks to how many "just picked a cool name"s are being submitted).

As those are free appraisals, you can't expect them to do all the due diligence that paid appraisers do to justify taking client's money and regardless their personal opinion and how bad it may look.

Who wants spend any extra time with only 5% chance to come up with different answer? Most would say 5% is an acceptable false negative rate.

"After checking everything: backlinks, other tlds, pr, alexa, google results, google searches - I still give $0 value to this crappy name" certainly looks more professional but what a way to waste time!

Besides, there are valuation tools such as estibot/valuate that do exactly those checks automatically. So I would think the free manual appraisals could be focused more on human evaluation of domain keyword quality, marketability, look, and "got feel" rather than bunch of other easily quantifiable parameters.

•••
Every one knows, if you want to appraise a domain you have to know some info, at last basic info that can influence the domain value (defaultuser, thank you for sharing to us your way of appraising a domain)
Judging A Book By Its Cover

What's the title, what's the image, what's the context of the image, who's the author, how does the title and image relate to convey a sense of what the book is. Who's the author? Did the author previously have sales - who has a blurb on the cover, what does it say, who said it...

What's the genre - Is it horror, is it fiction, is it non-fiction.

When was it written. What does the summary say? What does the author look like? Is he white, black, male, female and where from? Where did they study? (this only gives clues to what might be context of background and doesn't actually necessarily provide anything)
Is this their first book, second book? Has it been on the best seller list, won an award? Nominated?

I know quite a lot without knowing the contents of the book, the typography, the sentence structure, the words that make a book a book.

Sometimes I read reviews - sometimes I take a chance.

What I do know is that I don't always have to read it to have a rough idea of whether the book is something that I'm interested in. Will I miss a gem? Sure. Will I read something crap? Sure. Generally speaking? It works quite well.

Sometimes I say a lot and people tell me they don't have time to read a novel. Sometimes I say a little and think people might actually think about it a little.

Thanks for showing me how deeply you consider what someone says.:xf.love:

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Current book:

a-life-too-short-the-tragedy-of-robert-enke.jpg

I can tell quite a lot from that cover? Can you? (bear in mind that this is just the front).

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

This is referenced in the link below, but just check out this admittedly extreme example.
http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/78354-kr-org.html

This may be a special case. I have to admit when I first saw KR.ORG I didn't even think 2-letters at first - I just through a hack on Krorg? What's that?

It's so unusual to see 2 letter domains in a proper TLD.

Of course had I just said that and then pointed out it was 2 letters I'd have to apologize for missing it :)

ShopFitting.co.uk was a fairly obvious decent name but I still wouldn't have put it as high as it sold for.

Last edited:
•••
Judging A Book By Its Cover
Let me tell you that, this the wrong way how to think. You can consider yourself smart enough, but you will be wrong. Unfortunately english is not my native language and I can not stand this kind of conversation in english (it is a good topic anyway)
Let's assume you are write and you are able to judge a book by its cover.
What's the title
what's the image
what's the context of the image
who's the author
Did the author previously have sales
What's the genre
When was it written
Look at how much information do you need for this.
I am sure if we make a little analogy, you will need the same as much information as for judging (appraising) a domain :)

•••
Current book:

a-life-too-short-the-tragedy-of-robert-enke.jpg

I can tell quite a lot from that cover? Can you? (bear in mind that this is just the front).
how can you say you can appraise this book by its cover without checking essential valuation information such as:
1) how many pages?
2) if it is paperback or hardcover? (hardcovers are like .coms against .infos)
3) quality of the paper it is printed on
4) page rank of the author

booh, not a "good appraiser"!

•••
how can you say you can appraise this book by its cover without checking essential valuation information such as:
1) how many pages?

What does page rank have to do with a domain valuation?
What does the quality of the content have to do with a domain valuation?
What does the amount of content have to do with a domain valuation?

The ONLY time this matters is if you're selling a web PROPERTY and the criteria for this is 100% different and you need clear metric of traffic, source, money invested, money that needs investing, ongoing costs/licensing, current future market etc..

Most people buying just a domain will likely delete whatever content you have to create their own... unless they're buying the property as is (rare and specific type of investor) or just a traffic buyer.

•••
To be perfectly honest, I think the main issues here are;

a) certain people feeling that appraisers aren't giving a level of appraisal that they would consider acceptable

- there's been no realistic solution for this for the past 7 years - and it's easy to see why, especially when the appraiser is spending their time and resource to appraise.

b) People who ask for appraisals becoming aggressive towards appraisers

- now, this I think is something that can be rectified. It's 5am and I've just got out of hospital so I can't really think of a solution now - but it seems far easier to influence the person whose domains are being appraised (who is receiving a free service compared to the appraiser who is providing it.

I am not for a second advocating poor appraisals but there's nothing more frustrating for an appraiser than to see their well thought out post blatantly disregarded because it does not tell the domain owner that their domain will be the next big thing.

•••
What does page rank have to do with a domain valuation?
What does the quality of the content have to do with a domain valuation?
What does the amount of content have to do with a domain valuation?

The ONLY time this matters is if you're selling a web PROPERTY and the criteria for this is 100% different and you need clear metric of traffic, source, money invested, money that needs investing, ongoing costs/licensing, current future market etc..

Most people buying just a domain will likely delete whatever content you have to create their own... unless they're buying the property as is (rare and specific type of investor) or just a traffic buyer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ dompro,

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you in that other thread when I referenced espn dot com. :)

Thanks DU.

I am not for a second advocating poor appraisals but there's nothing more frustrating for an appraiser than to see their well thought out post blatantly disregarded because it does not tell the domain owner that their domain will be the next big thing.

@ Sabre,
well thought out post is the objective key here.

You and I have been through this identical thread on more than one occasion, and it all comes down to whether or not certain members who havent really learned enough to know what they are talking about, are making post padding/totally bs calls in appraisal threads.

There is a lot more to it, but it is late and this thread will just go round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round n round .... well, you get the picture.

Lively discussion tho, I'm glad it didnt turn into a total flame-fest. There are two sides to this coin, and each side is adament.

Like I said before, whether it be in Appraisals, Legal, Warnings, or even real life in general, for whatever reason... you have to consider the source.

Peace,
Cy

Last edited:
•••
Lively discussion tho

Great discussion IMO; I learned a lot.

Also, today I found the appraisal section much more interesting than in quite a while. Thanks to defaultuser, Johname and sdsinc for chiming in with their well thought out appraisals.

•••
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ dompro,

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you in that other thread when I referenced espn dot com. :)

For everybody's information, my "judging book by its cover" post below was full of sarcasm toward those OPs, that expect the appraisers too look at other things besides domain quality when domain quality is not there, to come up with a favorable appraisal.

1) how many pages?

I could post many examples here, but here is a couple:
http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/767826-funpregnancy-com.html
http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/767783-weightlosser-net.html

Basically I see 3 different versions of xyzcrapcrap.com appraisals:
a) $0 because it is crap period
b) it is crap, but you might be able to sell it to the owner of established and popular xyzcrapcrap.net (or similar arguing), so $0-$xx
c) xyzcrapcrap.com is (or can be) developed, PR'd, ranked, lots of the tlds registered (or similar arguing) $xxx

I am mostly A, sometimes B

Last edited:
•••
For everybody's information, my "judging book by its cover" post below was full of sarcasm toward those OPs, that expect the appraisers too look at other things besides domain quality when domain quality is not there, to come up with a favorable appraisal.

I diddn't see the sarcasm :)

As SDSINC has said a million times before... 7 other people made bad decisions is not a basis for you making a bad one (i.e. all TLDs taken is not always a good sign).

Problem here is that english could very well be a second language so what on face value makes sense doesn't. This is a a problem with a global industry that is still predominantly based on English idiosyncrasies.

•••
Problem here is that english could very well be a second language so what on face value makes sense doesn't. This is a a problem with a global industry that is still predominantly based on English idiosyncrasies.

That pretty much sums up this entire thread in nut shell.

Discrepancies between what the "proper" language or "meaning" to someone is, has been and will continue to be the core basis for the problems on topic here.

•••
This appraisal section is getting more and more personal

I dont know, why the people who want their names are appraised by other members feel so offended when the domain has in most appraised cases 0 USD value. Please stand that as a real man, its not the end of the world as we know it......

•••
Last edited:
•••
In a majority of the posts, what I have noticed as a relative newcomer, is that you either have someone give an obscenely high price, or a snarky comment with a "zero" attached. Neither is really helpful, even if accurate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back