IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see many nonsense posts like $0, not developed, not .com, etc. people saying these things are either dumb or just compiling number of posts.

Why ask for a developed domain when it is a domain appraisal folder. If is it developed, it is not just a domain anymore, right?

With the above argument, even if you post a newly-registered car.com, a dumb appraiser will still tell you it's $0 because it is not developed.

Majority of comments on appraisal folder are useless and I think the admin should check and consider having some specific rules in there.

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most of the domains in the appraisal section are worthless. Also, I believe you have misunderstood what people mean about development. What they're saying is that the domain itself is worthless; however, if you take the time to develop it you can bring more value to a possible sale. Lastly, appraisals are 100% opinion, if you can't handle criticism then don't ask for appraisals. Adding some requirement forcing members to tell you 20 different reasons the domain is worthless does not change the fact that it is still worthless. Also, this would inevitably decrease forum activity.

This post is not meant to be aggressive or snarky. Just stating my opinion.

•••
I see many nonsense posts like $0, not developed, not .com, etc. people saying these things are either dumb or just compiling number of posts.

Why ask for a developed domain when it is a domain appraisal folder. If is it developed, it is not just a domain anymore, right?

With the above argument, even if you post a newly-registered car.com, a dumb appraiser will still tell you it's $0 because it is not developed.

Majority of comments on appraisal folder are useless and I think the admin should check and consider having some specific rules in there.

Thank you
I can only speak for myself
1) Lots of domains posted for appraisal ARE worthless, and may be that why they are posted as people can't sell them and start having doubt about their choice
2) Personally I hate to bring bad news. Thus "reg fee", "if you could develop it", "if it was .com" - are the softer ways to say "it is crap, you should drop it" + may give additional information where the value is (slightly different keyword, .com instead of .org, etc)

So I would blame the quality of domains posted for appraisal, not the appraisers skills

•••
The thing about domains is that the value is in the eye of the beholder. Every person has a different way they value a domain and in many cases no 2 domainers will agree 100%. When dealing with appraisals from multiple people you have to try not to take them very personal and remember that many of the $0 or reg fee appraisals are coming from people that may not be into that niche or have never researched it.

A true appraisal can take hours of research, which most domainers aren't willing to do for free all day long. This means that the majority of appraisals are done without any research and just going by past experience or personal opinion with no niche knowledge.

It can be healthy to debate and get a variety of different views from people in or out of a niche on a domain. You can probably assume that if you get more unresearched $0 appraisals than you do researched appraisals, that the buying market may also follow that pattern making it just as hard to sell as it was to get a decent appraisal based on lack of knowledge to the niche (if no target selling tactics are used and its just listed for sale somewhere of course).

There's really no viable way to make members tell people what they want to hear (OMG, you have a Million dollar domain, congrats). So we continue in an open opinionated community where each member can express their own views (As educated or uneducated as they may be).

If you can think of ways to get members to take 2 or 3 hours on each appraisal thread to research in depth for a more accurate appraisal, I'm all ears and listening.

Sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been that great in the appraisal forum. As mentioned above, if you have ideas on how to get people to research more, let me know. other than that, we would like to maintain an open community where members can express their opinions in domain discussion topics (Minus any bashing of one another of course).

Eric Lyon

•••
I am not posting this because I posted a domain and received negative comments. I am speaking because I am tired of reading short and useless comments.

•••
I am not posting this because I posted a domain and received negative comments. I am speaking because I am tired of reading short and useless comments.
"$0" is example of short but not useless comment
"$0 because of this and that" is an extended version of not useless comment

useless is posting worthless domains for appraisals and expecting to see anything else in response - as I said blame people who post those instead of "please appraise my sex.com"

•••

Understandable, same answer applies. If you can think of a way to get people to dedicate a few hours of their time to actually research the niche prior to appraising, I'm all ears to your suggestions :)

Eric Lyon

•••
Understandable, same answer applies. If you can think of a way to get people to dedicate a few hours of their time to actually research the niche prior to appraising, I'm all ears to your suggestions :)
I don't think domainer (investor) would ever dedicate a few hours of their time to actually research the niche of the domain they about to BUY, not to mention to appraise :) (well unless it is an $xxxx investment I guess)

However, the end users should spend that time and that would give them chance to find all the weird reasons to pay a little extra for the name. But hey, if it is your next project, it may worth it.

I think the value given through appraisals in this forum is pretty fair and straight forward as it reflects real people's opinion about the name as opposed to a paid appraisal (that might require hours of research) that would tell subjectively "why this domain is worth 20x times more than everyone thought it'd be".

•••
  • as said above, as a rule, domains posted for appraisals are worth nil as-is
  • appraisers are tired of repeating the same points over and over, for so many years so the posts are getting shorter :rolleyes:
  • buyers should do their homework and research before they even ask for an appraisal, they put the cart before the horse :)
  • appraisers must always justify their opinions why the domain isn't great and worth regfee, or $$ max, but shouldn't the buyer be able to justify why he/she thinks the domain is even worth anything :)
    If you don't know, we don't know either...
Now I understand that posts like '$0', 'reg fee' do not sound very helpful, basically they are wake-up calls to go back to the drawing board and learn the basics...
Too many domains are being registered with no development plans in mind, and no research whatsoever into the resale opportunities.

•••
I don't completely disagree with you that sometimes appraisals can be unhelpful - anyone can look at a domain and throw a $ value against it without any justification. There is, however, a time and a place for a simple "$0 / $reg fee, if you are lucky" and that is when the domain is just so bad that you don't want to waste your time justifying to the OP just how bad the name is. It can also hurt people's feelings and realistically, it's up to them what they do with the domain.

I often disagree with others - and as Eric rightly said, it is all about perception. Some people see value where others do not. A good example of me disagreeing with everyone else in a thread is here. There are people saying the domain is worth mid $xx, others saying its worthless and me saying that I wouldn't even consider an offer in the high $xx range. As Eric says, it's all about perception, industry insight, experience and niche knowledge.

I've spent time doing private appraisals for people and spent 2 hours researching and writing an appraisal before because that particular domain happened to really speak to me. However, you can't expect people to spend more than 5-10 minutes on an appraisal when they have full time jobs and many even see domaining as a hobby rather than a main business. The average domain is, well, average and you are certainly limited to the insight you can give on that particular domain without giving the thread starter the idea that you actually think the domain is good, when it clearly isn't.

Just my 2c

:wave:

•••
I noticed also that most members giving $0 and similar comments are new members. I am not saying that they are just piling-up number of posts, but I see no other reason around.

Yes, it's true that a newly-registered domain is worth only a registration cost but most of these people forget or just don't know some things to consider when giving the domain a value.

Let's take a look again at the very basic criteria.

1. niche - does the domain is in good and competitive niche?
2. name - does the domain sounds good or reader friendly?
3. length - does the domain easy to type and easy to remember
4. exact keyword - does the domain has its exact target keyword?
5. developed? I personally do not consider this when giving analysis to a domain. A domain is a domain whether developed or not.

And the most dumb thing I just read in appraisal folder "not developed, worth $0"....

Some people just post some irresponsible comment just because they are not familiar with the niche or don't like the niche. Regardless of you like the niche or not, you should consider at least 3 of the items I mentioned above...

Hope this post makes even a little sense here....

Last edited:
•••
The request should be forced to include:

Why i think it has value. What the domain means. why i bought it. who the target market is.

That's 90% of the appraisal there.

Most requests are just.. Bought poopoopeepeehead.com is it worth a lot?

•••
The request should be forced to include:

Why i think it has value. What the domain means. why i bought it. who the target market is.

That's 90% of the appraisal there.

Most requests are just.. Bought poopoopeepeehead.com is it worth a lot?

I agree.. I think there should be some requirements for both the owner and the appraisers..

•••
Interesting thread :) I think many newbies like myself monitor the appraisal section to learn.

I have to agree to a certain extent with silveraden that the quality of many appraisals is quite poor. At the same time I agree with Eric Lyon that whilst this is a free service, it would be counterproductive to impose too many requirements on the appraisers.

Personally I do not attempt to give appraisals yet because I am too inexperienced at domaining to give advice to others in the appraisal area, but I cannot help but observe that members who are obviously even more inexperienced than me throw out inexplicable appraisals without any warning like 'I'm a newbie' or similar, which sort of detracts from the learning experience. On the other hand, there are many seasoned, experienced and competent posters here on NamePros, but most of them do not take part in the appraisal section - which is understandable.

Could a way to increase the status of the appraisal section be to give appraiser rights (the ability to respond to opening posts) only to members with e.g. six months membership or similar? Or would that only scare the last willing participants off? Just throwing out ideas here...

•••
And the most dumb thing I just read in appraisal folder "not developed, worth $0"....

As I said above it is just a nice way to say "sorry, the domain by itself is crap and has zero value". You did not see appraisals like "sorry, not developed, it only worth $5000", did you?

•••
As I said above it is just a nice way to say "sorry, the domain by itself is crap and has zero value". You did not see appraisals like "sorry, not developed, it only worth $5000", did you?

Yes, but comment like that without even giving a reason why is laziness and irresponsible. I checked some members with 5 or more comments like that each of them...

It is so easy to write "$0, undeveloped", but the one who posted do really have a reason why he can say that? He can post in all listed threads with the same statement and he is still right with his opinion?

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but comment like that without even giving a reason why is laziness and irresponsible. I checked some members with 5 or more comments like that each of them...

It is so easy to write "$0, undeveloped", but the one who posted do really have a reason why he can say that? He can post in all listed threads with the same statement and he is still right with his opinion?
yes, if they honestly think the value of the domain is $0!

And if you think you may be upset with a free and open appraisal/discussion about your domain (http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/767783-weightlosser-net.html), you should not have posted it for public appraisal.

Most OP's would thank all appraisers for their consideration regardless the favorable or unfavorable appraisals they receive, as opposed to criticizing their methods, blaming for post count inflation, ridiculous comments, etc, etc

Appraisals here are free and largely opinion-based. If you want a professional "50 reasons why this domain worth $xxxx" appraisal, there are companies that do such research and appraisals for a fee.

•••
yes, if they honestly think the value of the domain is $0!

And if you think you may be upset with a free and open appraisal/discussion about your domain (http://www.namepros.com/domain-appraisals/767783-weightlosser-net.html), you should not have posted it for public appraisal.

Most OP's would thank all appraisers for their consideration regardless the favorable or unfavorable appraisals they receive, as opposed to criticizing their methods, blaming for post count inflation, ridiculous comments, etc, etc

Appraisals here are free and largely opinion-based. If you want a professional "50 reasons why this domain worth $xxxx" appraisal, there are companies that do such research and appraisals for a fee.

As I said, the domain I posted has nothing to do with this thread. Check my domains I posted lighyears ago and you can even see that I received more negative and I had no reaction whatsoever so please don't bring the outside issue here.

I am not asking for professional appraisal.. I am asking for responsible appraisal.. If you think a member posting 10 "0" comments in 10 different domains because he feel that the domains doesn't have any value is okay then I think you would turn this forum into garbage...

•••
If you think a member posting 10 "0" comments in 10 different domains because he feel that the domains doesn't have any value is okay then I think you would turn this forum into garbage...

So do we need a new rule in this forum? Like:

You can only give up to 5 free "$0" appraisals per week. If you think the domain is crap and you out of your "$0" appraisal quota for this week, you have the following choices:
a. Wait for next week when you quota is reset;
b. Go hang yourself because of how much the posted domain sucks and you are not allowed to express it;
c. Give a non-$0 appraisal;
d. Buy some $0-appraisal credits (we accept PayPal) :wave:

•••
Doesn't make any sense at all..........

•••
Doesn't make any sense at all..........
correct, but hey I am not the one complaining about:
If you think a member posting 10 "0" comments in 10 different domains because he feel that the domains doesn't have any value is okay then I think you would turn this forum into garbage...
the other rule/suggestion would be "post only positive appraisals. If you have nothing good to say about domain, don't say anything"?

•••
I wouldn't personally have an issue having a minimum post count to post in an appraisals thread, say 50 posts, but allow anyone (0 posts +) to start a thread.

However, you'd then need to make sure they could also reply to their own thread to ask further questions etc - and if they couldn't, you'd find threads opened of a similar nature across the forum.

Silveraden, can you let us know the person(s) posting '0' comments for different domains on a constant basis? I can't say I've seen anyone do this regularly but then again I don't spend long enough on that section to notice any correlations.

•••
Sabre, I'll check again whenever I have time as I forgot the username... I have to dig that particular domain again..

•••
I wouldn't personally have an issue having a minimum post count to post in an appraisals thread, say 50 posts, but allow anyone (0 posts +) to start a thread.

Excellent idea! And probably very easy to implement.

However, you'd then need to make sure they could also reply to their own thread to ask further questions.

Maybe that could be tweaked. If not, it seems that the OP usually just returns to dispute the 'reg fee', '$0' values or thank the other posters, so it might not be absolutely necessary for them to have response rights.

If there were some kind of entry level and thereby raised status to become an appraiser, maybe that would increase the quality of the posts? Again, just throwing out ideas, but if the goal from RJ's appraisal guide still stands ("At NamePros, we're newly committed to building the best member appraisals in the domain industry."), I believe there is some room for improvement.

Appraisals should still be fun to do - after all, this is voluntary assistance - but maybe also fun in the sense that it gave some status.

•••
If there were some kind of entry level and thereby raised status to become an appraiser, maybe that would increase the quality of the posts? Again, just throwing out ideas, but if the goal from RJ's appraisal guide still stands ("At NamePros, we're newly committed to building the best member appraisals in the domain industry."), I believe there is some room for improvement.

We used to have a system kind of like this in place - see my profile for example; http://www.namepros.com/members/9386.html?do=ishow&icode=appraisal

I think the idea behind it was that you had to fill this in to earn NP$ for appraisals. As this system is no longer in place, I don't think you can add or even edit this anymore. (be aware that I filled this out at, I believe, around 5-6 years ago. D-:)

I wouldn't mind seeing a system in place where you have to answer a few questions to confirm you understand how to appraise and the benefits/issues it comes with. It may stop newer uses posting for the sake of posting and allow them some time to consider whether they really are best placed to appraise a particular domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back