NameSilo

ccTLD .CM Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, the official registry in charge of the Country Code Top Level Domains of The Republic of Cameroon, announced today that the top-level domain .CM will be launched this summer.

Cameroon (PRunderground) May 26, 2009 – The president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, the official registry in charge of the Country Code Top Level Domains of The Republic of Cameroon, announced today that the top-level domain .CM will be launched this summer. Mr. Moustapha Saya Kaigama, president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, will present the details about the launch and news about the development of the .CM registry during the ccTLD T.R.A.F.F.I.C. symposium in Amsterdam from June 1 till June 4, 2009.

Next to .CN, the current No. 1 Country Code Top Level Domain, and .COM, the most popular Top-Level Domain world-wide, .CM is seen to have the potential popularity and impact on internet-based Global Brand Protection.

Based in Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, NETCOM.cm Sarl was founded in early 2008 as a proud partner of ANTIC, the Information Technology Regulator for Cameroon. On October 15, 2008, NETCOM.cm Sarl successfully launched the registry service for .com.cm, .co.cm and .net.cm. Apart from Domain Name Registrations, NETCOM.cm is embracing new technologies such as ENUM over WiMAX for remote African Areas.

http://www.register.cm/

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Was it worth it? That depends on typo traffic. And I've done a lotta things with adult typo traffic and trust me -- it's nearly impossible to monetize. Would I have paid $1,,000 for this? Maybe. Anything over?NO. I dunno how many ppl mistype .com as .cm anyway.

•••
According to Compete Sex.com gets about 142K hits/month. At most this typo might get 1% of that traffic, and 1% is probably very generous.

So you are talking about 1500 hits/month max for $51,000. It makes no sense to me. I can think of much more profitable ways to invest $50K.

Brad

•••
I agree with the posters in this thread..... way overpriced, even though the keyword is so strong...

•••
.cm gets 1/1000. That's 0.1%.

•••
I have to disagree. This typo probablly gets 10,000 to 20,000 visitors per month. From my experience, many of these statistics website are not that accurate at estimating type in traffic. Instead of parking the domain (which pays a few cents per click for adult traffic), if they put a simple affiliate page (the most popular adult affiliate currently pays up to $130 per sign up, they can get their money back in less than one year.

•••
I am with Synthetic here, as those statistic websites are not that accurate. I will go even further & say they are pretty much useless. I have tested it out on way too many names where I have the actual traffic data & they shortchanged it badly in every instance.

I also agree with even just the slightest amount of traffic & affiliate sales, they could get their money back fairly quickly.

Would I have paid that much? No, I agree with Brad that there are plenty of better ways to have invested that money.

•••
I couldn't see sex.com only getting 140k+ a month, even if it's not developed. It might be -- I don't feel like checking, although I see it's not n the top5 on Google with the keyword -- but anyway. $51k could have been spent more wisely. I've done my share in the adult webmaster world and trust me -- getting (m)any signups to an adult provider from a typo is mega-rare. Develop sex.cm or it might not pay itself back for 3-5 years or longer.

•••
This will easily make it's money back. Everyone is forgetting what a good keyword this is to have despite the extention. (not to mention this is an above average extention to have with this keyword as it will bring in typo's)

•••
Overpaid, the only chance to recoup the cost and profit is through development, affiliates.

All the best to the new owner! :tu:

•••
The guy wont make his money back by parking the name.

He'll develop it with an affiliate signup system (around $100 a signup) and with the traffic that will accompany it, I reckon he'll get his money back pretty quickly.

Overpaid, but a good investment :)

Btw, how have .cm's been performing for people? Ive kept out of it but Id be interested to see some results.

•••
•••
How much does it pay? With the keyword, I tend to make 1-3 cents a click -- and that's at parked.com.

This will easily make it's money back. Everyone is forgetting what a good keyword this is to have despite the extention. (not to mention this is an above average extention to have with this keyword as it will bring in typo's)

•••
How much does it pay? With the keyword, I tend to make 1-3 cents a click -- and that's at parked.com.
I have a domain that is of the .ws variety that is a 2word domain with the 1 keyword being sex and I've set up an affiliate scheme and getting 2 clicks a month from it which earns me roughly $60-100. Which considering i got it for reg fee isnt too bad.

I'm betting with the budget this person has they can make a great website, set up some fantastic affiliate schemes and get great traffic conversion rate that will easily pay for the domain within 3 years. Thats a good ROI if you ask me.

•••
Ill bet it's a vanity domain. Some people need to get something no matter the cost.

•••
I really must inquire. I have no domains with 'sex' in it (although I've had a*al, p*ssy, f*ck d*ck etc-- use your imagine to fill in the blanks). But the highest I ever made from a click was 5 cents -- and even that was a rarity. I average 1cent a click. Could you PM some details of what you've been doing? Looking at this:

Free Domain Appraisal, Domain Name Valuation and Keyword Research Tool

It says the max PPC has been 5cents. That's true with me.

I have a domain that is of the .ws variety that is a 2word domain with the 1 keyword being sex and I've set up an affiliate scheme and getting 2 clicks a month from it which earns me roughly $60-100. Which considering i got it for reg fee isnt too bad.

I'm betting with the budget this person has they can make a great website, set up some fantastic affiliate schemes and get great traffic conversion rate that will easily pay for the domain within 3 years. Thats a good ROI if you ask me.

•••
by both typo traffic & affiliate may recoup the investment within one year

•••
I really must inquire. I have no domains with 'sex' in it (although I've had a*al, p*ssy, f*ck d*ck etc-- use your imagine to fill in the blanks). But the highest I ever made from a click was 5 cents -- and even that was a rarity. I average 1cent a click. Could you PM some details of what you've been doing? Looking at this:

I'm not using PPC. I arrange an affiliation with some very well established websites relating to the content for my domain and if they sign up or purchase a product from that site, I get a big comission. My domain is very very niche and would rather not say what it is.

•••
It's even worse than I originally thought.

I also won a domain. I made the minimum bid, and couldn't back out of it. I should have deleted all my credit card info at Enom, but being a trusting and positive sorta guy, I let it ride.

Big mistake.

So not only do they charge an insane $350 for 2 years registration, they have essentially hi-jacked my domain. The host records do not update, and it is impossible to change the DNS servers to anything else, which leaves the domain 100% useless.

Here is what they say:

" .CM Pre-orders were submitted via NameJet with eNom nameservers. After the domains are paid and registered to you, you can update the host records and the domain will resolve to your website, but you cannot change the actual DNS being used. This is a Registry restriction."

And now they are admitting that the host records, whois and DNS resolution doesn't work (at least they admit it).

So, With the .cm tlds you cannot change nameservers. This should have all been disclosed before the auctions were conducted. It was only here on NamePro's that I was even warned about the insane $350/2 years registration fee. What a scummy way to run a business. I honestly would have never entered the auctions had I known the price and the fact that the DNS is unchangeable. What good is a domain if you have no control over the DNS or host records?

At the insane $350/2 years price, I am paying about .48 cents/day for the domain. A domain that is 100% worthless and unusable. The DNS doesn't resolve, the whois doesn't resovle, and Enom once again has issues with their host records working. I can't develop it, I can't park it, it's a brick.

A darn 0.48 cents/day brick.

Enom needs to be upfront and honest about the price and conditions attached to domains before auctioning them off. They also need to be refunding 0.48/day for each and every day the domains are unusable.

•••
An update:

Enom is the worst. No business ethics, just pure greed.

They set the domain expiration for sept 1st, and charged my card on the 8th, but the domain is still 100% unusable. The support guy said it wouldn't be working until at least the 14th because .cm is having issues setting up domains. They refuse to refund any or all of my money and refuse to set the correct expiration date for the domain. If I go to Home Page - REGISTER.CM and run a 'whois' on the domain it states the domain is unregistered.

I realize the problem with the domain is with .cm and there is nothing Enom can do to make the domain work, but if your going to charge $350/2 years or .048 cents/day for a registration, than you had better make sure it works and get the expiration date correct.

If your selling something and you charge your customer for it, then you can't blame your supplier and simply keep the customers money without delivering the product. I can't imagine any business pulling such a stunt, except of course Enom.

So I am paying an insane premium for a domain that is unregistered and Enom refuses to do anything about it. They tell me I need to contact .cm directly. What a scummy company.

•••
I am really sorry to hear all this . I never liked Enom personally . I was lucky to have got my Namejet account cancelled before the landrush had ended .

I would suggest you file a case against Enom and Namejet , because this is NO way to treat a customer . Its not a $5 piece of candy we are taking about .. its $350 domain which the customer just can not use after paying for it . This is completely unethical of them to not disclose such vital information before registering the domains for you and charging $350 . Who could have guessed that you could not even change the DNS info for the domain you have paid $350 for ? This is completely unprofessional .

You realy should be filing a case and take to your credit card company .. see if they have any ideas ??

•••
Yikes! I just got notice that one of my $60 bids has now won an auction after multiple buyers backed out. I am pretty excited and I did know about the $350 registration fee, but after not winning any I spent my money elsewhere. LUCKILY, I am quite happy I have this name for the cost.

Not happy about the name server and generally locking down of the domain, but such as it is! Anyone know if we can sell these ourselves?

•••
where is the cheapest place to reg .cm?

•••
Will you ppl stop jumping on the bandwagon? Get a nice .net or something.

•••

Have you tried this Archangel?
www.Pimproll.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back