NameSilo

ccTLD .CM Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, the official registry in charge of the Country Code Top Level Domains of The Republic of Cameroon, announced today that the top-level domain .CM will be launched this summer.

Cameroon (PRunderground) May 26, 2009 – The president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, the official registry in charge of the Country Code Top Level Domains of The Republic of Cameroon, announced today that the top-level domain .CM will be launched this summer. Mr. Moustapha Saya Kaigama, president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, will present the details about the launch and news about the development of the .CM registry during the ccTLD T.R.A.F.F.I.C. symposium in Amsterdam from June 1 till June 4, 2009.

Next to .CN, the current No. 1 Country Code Top Level Domain, and .COM, the most popular Top-Level Domain world-wide, .CM is seen to have the potential popularity and impact on internet-based Global Brand Protection.

Based in Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, NETCOM.cm Sarl was founded in early 2008 as a proud partner of ANTIC, the Information Technology Regulator for Cameroon. On October 15, 2008, NETCOM.cm Sarl successfully launched the registry service for .com.cm, .co.cm and .net.cm. Apart from Domain Name Registrations, NETCOM.cm is embracing new technologies such as ENUM over WiMAX for remote African Areas.

http://www.register.cm/

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well just heard the verdict from Namejet, anyone actually pre-ordering any .cms??

•••
Well just heard the verdict from Namejet, anyone actually pre-ordering any .cms??

I put about 100 names on my list - don't expect to get any as they will probably all go to auction. More of a wish-I could-have-owned-these-at-the-beginning-of-the-web-in-dot-com sort of list...fun to dream!

Also had a bunch of random LLL's, but then realized that I probably don't want to get stuck with those, so I removed them.

•••
Couldn't agree more Seabass, although I did throw two names in the pre order just for the hell of it. They will most likely hit auction but why not.

My favorite part is how they are trying to sell these though:

# What is .CM? Why should I register a .CM?
.CM is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Cameroon. The .CM registry has previously only allowed registrations under .CO.CM, .COM.CM and .NET.CM, meaning this is your chance to register a second level .CM domain name. Although best known for being just one letter and keystroke away from a few of the most highly recognizable domains, .CM provides many potential benefits:

* Secure natural traffic to your site
* Expand your domain portfolio with available and highly valuable domains
* Protect your brand to avoid any misleading uses of your name
* Help battle poverty in Africa – each domain sold will contribute to multiple initiatives to grow the African market and end poverty.

The last one has a nice ring to it but how much are they really contributing in the end?

Oh well this should be interesting to watch anyways as landrushes usually cause a bit of commotion for a month or so.

•••
Will definitely be interesting to see how much these fetch when they go to auction. All of my pre-orders are pretty much top 500 generic names, so I have no doubt that they will go for a decent amount in auction. I absolutely agree with you, Seabass and Adam, that .cm is not going to takeoff, it just doesn't make sense with where the Web is right now.

•••
Will definitely be interesting to see how much these fetch when they go to auction. All of my pre-orders are pretty much top 500 generic names, so I have no doubt that they will go for a decent amount in auction. I absolutely agree with you, Seabass and Adam, that .cm is not going to takeoff, it just doesn't make sense with where the Web is right now.

Anybody know if they are listing traffic information for each .cm ?

I'm too busy looking for real domains but I would be interested if traffic is listed.

•••
•••
I am just curious, what are you planning on doing with these .CM domains once you secure them and they are in your administrative panel. Simply park them and fiddle your thumbs while the pennies roll in? As a warning I wouldn't buy any of these names. There is no way possible that you could develop any of these names and be taken seriously (IMO).

•••
Is it Just NameJet that is offering pre-ordering of these domains?

What about godaddy/sedo?

•••
•••
Wow, I'm very excited. Can't wait to get some keyword-based domains. :red:

•••
".CM Landrush Opens Today"

According to who? DM isn't taking pre-orders until July 13!

•••
Honestly at $150 a year with min 2 year reg the registry can keep all the .cm domain names i'd ever want except my.cm, web.cm, net.cm, com.cm, cm.cm and www .cm I'll take those.

•••
Yawn!

Browser domain auto-correction and plugins are coming soon. You'll have to make your money fast with these....flipping, parking, whatever.

It also won't take long for surfers to catch on eventually, as I suppose they are already and it is showing in the traffic numbers, so now that a lot of the juice has been sucked out of them it is time to sell them off.

I believe the ones that actually get traffic have been tested for some time? and will either not get put in to landrush or will be auctioned.

This is one I am definitely going to miss. :bah:

•••
Its another BIG swizzle.

•••
NameJet & $350 Landrush .cm Registration...Please Tell Folks

Hello,

I hope Namejet would make it clearer to customers that if you register a .cm landrush domain name that it will cost you $350.00 per name (for 2 year's registration).

I looked thru all of their content and never found a $350 price anywhere. They have FAQs but never mention it?

Link: NameJet

I will give NameJet the benefit of the doubt, that they have a sentence somewhere with $350 in it, but please make it more accessible, more pronounced.

I did read about the registration fee on several blogs...thank you domain bloggers......but not on NameJet's site.

Now, I am sure some folks will register some names and may be very surprised at the price they will pay if they get their names. At $350 apiece, the bill can rise quickly....name better be premium!

I actually went thru the whole registration process, registered a few names and never saw a price??

Please Note: You can delete any wishlist names before the landrush.

So, I guess I am telling my fellow domainers to be aware of the price and make sure you register a great name. Good luck.

Paul

•••
$350 is a con.I won't be buying any at that price screw that.If anyone does make sure its one of the top 500 or you will lose out big time.

•••
Thanks for the heads up had a few on order.....but was figuring the price would be low...not nearly as much as $350....cancelled all!

Thanks again for the heads up :)

•••
Its actually pretty clear. Registration fee $150 ish or whatever it is, minimum registration period 2 years. Clearly stated, in as little terms as possible. It's a business, and it wants to F you over.

•••
Kevin Ham.. stickin' it to the man.

•••
Thanks for passing the word. I looked all over that site as I had suspicions about this very issue, but never found anything. Thanks for the verification. Canceled my orders.

•••
Thanks has2hands and reps added!

I was also trying to find the 2 years reg. cost when namejet announce the laundrush schedule but failed as most of you. I don't think I will pick any for such expensive reg. fee now

•••
nudu,

Please post or pm me where it is posted....that will help me and show how blind I am! Or how buried the info is!

Its actually pretty clear. Registration fee $150 ish or whatever it is, minimum registration period 2 years. Clearly stated, in as little terms as possible. It's a business, and it wants to F you over.

Thanks folks for reps.

Paul

•••
Thanks for passing the word,man.

•••
Thanks for the heads up!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back