Domain Empire

ccTLD .CM Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, the official registry in charge of the Country Code Top Level Domains of The Republic of Cameroon, announced today that the top-level domain .CM will be launched this summer.

Cameroon (PRunderground) May 26, 2009 – The president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, the official registry in charge of the Country Code Top Level Domains of The Republic of Cameroon, announced today that the top-level domain .CM will be launched this summer. Mr. Moustapha Saya Kaigama, president of NETCOM.cm Sarl, will present the details about the launch and news about the development of the .CM registry during the ccTLD T.R.A.F.F.I.C. symposium in Amsterdam from June 1 till June 4, 2009.

Next to .CN, the current No. 1 Country Code Top Level Domain, and .COM, the most popular Top-Level Domain world-wide, .CM is seen to have the potential popularity and impact on internet-based Global Brand Protection.

Based in Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, NETCOM.cm Sarl was founded in early 2008 as a proud partner of ANTIC, the Information Technology Regulator for Cameroon. On October 15, 2008, NETCOM.cm Sarl successfully launched the registry service for .com.cm, .co.cm and .net.cm. Apart from Domain Name Registrations, NETCOM.cm is embracing new technologies such as ENUM over WiMAX for remote African Areas.

http://www.register.cm/

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I "won" one name, but after finding out late last month that enom would be charging me $350 I immediately changed my credit card info at NameJet. I used a pre-paid debit card that I received from a mail-in rebate, which I still had laying around, for that purpose. All you need to do is to have at least $1 in that non reloadable debit card acct. Since I didn't have a eNom acct before NameJet "conveniently" created one for me I don't have CC info established with them (and never will). I get now every day an email message from eNomCentral that payment was declined and that they will make 6 more attempts before I lose that domain. After the scam they try to pull on me they can keep em all.

NameJet and enom can go and rot in domain hell as far as I am concerned.

UPDATE: eNomCentral tried to charge me 11x so far!

•••
Apparently the .cm registry is not capable of handling nameserver changes and won't be able to handle these changes until 2010. Enom is telling people to simply change the A records for the domain name. (HEH) This does not sit well with me. I have submitted a ticket to be refunded for the first domain name which was charged to my account. If they do not honor a refund I will simply call my credit card company and have the transaction reversed.

The entire .CM registry has completely lost all credibility in my eyes. I doubt I will be registering any .CM domain names in the future. Selling a service which you can't render makes way for a huge liability suit. Either way this plays out, a number of domainers are going to be outraged with the delays, lack of professionalism and not getting what they paid for!

•••
.cm Open Registration to open on September 18

It looks like Open Registration on .cm is on again. I just received the following email from Domainmonster:

Congratulations! By pre-ordering for .cm you’ve guaranteed yourself a prime position in our submission queue!

We wanted to drop you a brief line simply to advise you that we have now pre-authorised your card and you are all set for instant submission the second the .cm Registry opens its doors at 08:00 UTC on 18th September 2009

Once we have secured your chosen domain names when the registry opens (08:00 UTC, 18th September 2009), we will then use this "deferred authorisation" to take funds for your secured names, releasing any balance. In the 2008 launches of .asia and .me, we had a success rate of 9 out of 10 pre-orders!!

Remember, pre-orders cannot be cancelled or substituted. We've secured your domains in our queue position for some time now on your behalf, so we hope you understand why!

Finally, best of luck with the .cm Open Registration launch! We wish you every success!

Kind Regards​

Any thoughts on .cm?

I'm just not sure about this TLD. Thankfully, I have preordered just one domain, and I won't be at all heartbroken if I don't get it.

The delay by the .cm registry doesn't bode well.

D-:

•••
Good luck on the refund, it won't happen, at least not from Enom, the only option is a chargeback on your credit card. They refuse to acknowledge the problem and refuse to refund any money. In fact, they have the arrogance to suggest that I need to contact and deal directly with the .CM registry to get a refund. This of course doesn't work because the registry didn't charge me, Enom did. When I went to the .cm site, the Whois showed the domain was not even registered, so how are they going to refund my money when they have no records and didn't charge me?

What other company would refuse a refund for a product never delivered and tell the customer to contact the supplier himself?

It should be illegal to set the registration and expiration date 3-4+ weeks before the Whois and DNS are even working, especially at 0.48 cents/ day.

The registration and expiration dates need to be set to the date and time the Whois and DNS are live on the internet or a refund of 0.48 cents for each day the domain(s) are unusable should be issued.

Hopefully they don't dispute the chargebacks and everyone gets the money put back on their credit cards.

Last edited:
•••
New report

sex.cm Lost Private Pre-Order $21,700 $50 9/16/2009
sex.cm Lost Private Pre-Order $51,100 $50 9/15/2009

New sale went through?

•••
Sound's like fun! Good luck all!

•••
yes

.cm Go-Live will start on September 18, 2009 at 08:00am UTC

•••
100+ .cm was registered in 30m

in our company, 99.99USD for each.

It seems .cm will become another golden mine

•••
If no traffic, which probably applies to most, a complete waste of money.

•••
I registered a .CM domain.

Dictionary word, 5 Premium Letters.

•••
.CM is worth the traffic it gets. No one gives a crap about this extension other than the .COM typo aspect.

Brad

•••
Has anyone else registered any .cm domains?

•••

I did get my .cm. I now have it redirected to one of my sites (It's working!).

I'm not going to reveal the domain until Whois is updated.

This will be the only .cm I'll be regging. Too expensive! If it doesn't do well, I'll probably not renew or sell it.

But we'll see...

;)

•••
.cm suck!!!!!!

"Due to registry restrictions, you will not be able to change the name servers until early 2010 as determined by the registry. "

SUCK!!!!!

•••

You're right there. One should have immediate access to one's name servers of choice, and this policy does not bode well for the .cm registry. I feel for anyone who invested heavily in this TLD.

Meanwhile, you could always forward your domain to your site.

Mine (only one, thank goodness!) propagated within an hour.

•••
didnt know that...
by the way where can we register .cm domain names
plus how much are they for? (tried searching on name.com and godaddy but somehow didnt find them)

•••
didnt know that...
plus how much are they for? (tried searching on name.com and godaddy but somehow didnt find them)

There selling them at domainmonster turnhardtoeasy. Wow that really sucks, spending all that cash for what? So your name will be tied up that is not fair and really doesn't make sense to me.

•••
didnt know that...

The .cm registry opened this morning after having closed for about a month after landrush. My domain was a pre-order through Domainmonster, and, believe me, I'm having second thoughts about this so-called wildcard.

They are VERY expensive ($150/year), so make sure that your keyword is worth it, either financially or aesthetically. Usually, in time, the price will drop dramatically for a new TLD, but who knows? This has to be the weirdest ccTLD on record.

The fact that I got my domain so easily suggests that not many people pre-ordered open .cm domains.

Many people are taking a wait and see attitude.

I'd proceed with caution.

•••
Name.com has them for over $100 a year

didnt know that...

•••
There is an obvious reason for not allowing nameserver changes.

•••
•••
I'd like to know why too?

•••
There is an obvious reason for not allowing nameserver changes.

That's the kind of know-it-all, up-your-nose, I'm-so-clever, smart-ass, post that really pi***s me off...>:(

If you have something useful to others, just SAY it.....Geez...

•••
It does suck that you can't change the name servers at the moment, but I changed the host records to allow URL forwarding and that is working fine for me. Not ideal, but it works.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back