IT.COM

discuss Baffled by people against hand reg

NameSilo
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I love digitalchain mistressbellek at least it was a hand reg once. Then again every name was once a hand reg.

Last edited:
•••
is USA/Clean/Energy dot com a bad hand reg?

•••
It's a typical low-quality handreg.
More than two words is often best avoided.
With creativity you can still find decent handreg names, decent enough for your next business venture, but finding handreg names that have resale value is more challenging.

•••
It might be worth setting up a thread similar to what @lolwarrior did with gTLDs (which is a good thread) with the same rules....

Post your non gTLDs hand reg and let people vote "like" to keep or "thank" to drop

That way people can get some constructive feedback from the community

Just an idea.......

•••
Problem is that almost everything owned by NP members is hand reges names so it like taking a group of people wearing blue jumpers and then from those people calculating statistics showing everyone wears blue jumpers.

The vast majority also sold for peanuts so it rules out high quality dropped names.

You raise some very valid points @johnnie018 - thanks for pointing them out.

If it is true that almost everything owned by NPs members are hand-regs, then you are completely correct that an analysis of how many sales are hand-regs is meaningless. I presume, from the huge number of comments posted against hand-regs especially by those who have been in the business for some time, that NPs members hold a lot of non-reg, but maybe that is not true.

With 1 million members NPs does represent I think the overall community pretty well (although for various reasons some big names choose not to actively participate) and I would expect sales by our members represents overall the sales by individual domainers. However the subset that reports to Completed Sales is a far smaller group - does it have biases? Probably. Also outbound is biased to the geo names.

Re sold for peanuts, I am not sure I agree entirely. It is true that 69% sold for $399 or less, but if you look at NameBio data from the past year the breakdown is not much different (median price most days is in $225 to $325 range). I realize NameBio being a mix of wholesale and retail venues is problematic, but I still think we let the big sales blind us to the fact that most domain sales are somewhere in the sweet spot of $250 to $499. 9.9% of the sample are $1000 and above, not much different from NameBio overall (most days about 20 out of 200 sales are at $1000 level - I tweet this data daily and summarize it weekly so feel confident in this statement).

Thank you for reminding us to always be careful of biases in analysis of any sampled data, however. Have a nice day.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
People used to register tens of thousands of 3g domains, mostly a huge waste of money.

Rarely will an enduser "brand" with a tech term and even rarely will they be willing to go to the aftermarket for one and pay a premium price. The above names are extremely poor quality. 5g will soon become 6g and eventually 17g. Endusers know not brand a company with such dating or restrictive terms.

@johnnie018 I prefer not to take advice from someone with a restricted account. I never said tech terms are used as a brand lol. If it’s your opinion that all the above names are extremely poor quality please enlighten me with an example of how you came to this conclusion, Btw 5g can’t become 6g soon because 5g won’t be rolled out until closer to 2020.

The low latency of 5g will be a game changer especially for IoT and big data.

•••
Btw 5g can’t become 6g soon because 5g won’t be rolled out until closer to 2020.

That is a year away, the average domain takes along time to sell! It will be 7g before you can blink, just like it went from 3g, 4g, 5g.

You are repeating the makes of the past with these names.

•••
I presume, from the huge number of comments posted against hand-regs especially by those who have been in the business for some time, that NPs members hold a lot of non-reg, but maybe that is not true.

I think you'll find that is not true. Just look at the sale forum or appraisal forum and you can see what most people hold.

•••
That is a year away, the average domain takes along time to sell! It will be 7g before you can blink, just like it went from 3g, 4g, 5g.

You are repeating the makes of the past with these names.

Says the guy with the restricted account. 😂

•••
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

Because, if you're new (you joined only last summer), then you're probably going to reggae bad. So taht's why anyone who's a domainer for over a year will tell you not to handreggae because you're not experienced enough. They'll tell you to pick aftermarket domains instead.

•••
Does aftermarket mean the junk that someone else dropped ?(just curious)

•••
PLEASE DO NOT HANDREG, YOU WILL BE WAISTING YOUR MONEY

That is all I can say about it, particularly when we speak about legacy extensions like .com or .org. Almost no chance that you (or me) are more clever then all people out there. Honestly I do not see how new domainers in 2019 can make any money here, it works only for few incredibly hard working people, but not for 99% of people...

what the heck are you smokin, boi LOL.

I understand you love GTLDs, but holey shiz don't be givin wrong advice like dis. Unless you're being insanely sarcastic, which then, I will apologize and say haha best joke :D

•••
I'm not giving bad advice at all. If you notice there was a question mark at the end. Meaning I was asking a question

•••
Does aftermarket mean the junk that someone else dropped ?(just curious)

I think that, if that's your perspective on domaining and aftermarket domains, then you should quit now. I feel like you have too much anger, frustration, and non-patience to be a good domainer. And then, you will certainly lose money if you keep up that attitude.

Domaining is about effort and patience. Very zen. Very qiaowei. You must reach into Eastern philosophy and martial arts and... jk. But it's also not jk because it's true. Domaining isn't like those 10x and 2 days schemes with crazy ad men with smiles and gel hair.

Domaining is carefully researching a domain, resisting FOMO, checking all angles to see if it's really worth... then afterward, reggae. Then, you find other good ones until you have a decent-sized portfolio. Then, you won't even make a sail yet. You'll have to forget your portfolio exists, (unless it's GEO for outbound or other outbound-type domains), and then wait 1 or 2 years for an inquiry...

•••
I'm not giving bad advice at all. If you notice there was a question mark at the end. Meaning I was asking a question

man, you don't even have the patience to check who i was talking to in that post. And it wasn't you lol. It's that dude who said "NEVER HAND REGGAE EVER" :ROFL::ROFL:

•••
Seriously ? I was only asking a question

•••
Because, if you're new (you joined only last summer), then you're probably going to reggae bad. So taht's why anyone who's a domainer for over a year will tell you not to handreggae because you're not experienced enough. They'll tell you to pick aftermarket domains instead.[/QUO
Because, if you're new (you joined only last summer), then you're probably going to reggae bad. So taht's why anyone who's a domainer for over a year will tell you not to handreggae because you're not experienced enough. They'll tell you to pick aftermarket domains instead.

But there’s that small chance that you will be the small percentage that proves that hand regs are still lucrative. That to me is worth the risk.

•••
But there’s that small chance that you will be the small percentage that proves that hand regs are still lucrative. That to me is worth the risk.

it's not a small percentage. . . if you actually learn how to reggae.

everyone joining from 2018 on this thread gave like wrong advice or have wrong mindsets lol.

there are good domains dropping everyday. and there are available ones happening right now. For example, I reggae'd //////c/////ry///ona for $1... got accepted for over $10,000 on a marketplace. It already has a resale value above $30.

Will it sail right now for 10k? No. Will it sail eventually for over 5k? Yes, but we're talking about a 1 - 5 year wait.

The reason why everyone is bashing hand reggae is because they just reggae without learning. I did it too. I registered SelfDrivingATV or something dumb like that :D in 2016.

•••
Hand reg is cheap and lucrative if you research research research.
Especially in future tech

•••

everyone joining from 2018 on this thread gave like wrong advice or have wrong mindsets lol.

there are good domains dropping everyday. and there are available ones happening right now. For example, I reggae'd //////c/////ry///ona for $1... got accepted for over $10,000 on a marketplace. It already has a resale value above $30.

Will it sail right now for 10k? No. Will it sail eventually for over 5k? Yes, but we're talking about a 1 - 5 year wait.

The reason why everyone is bashing hand reggae is because they just reggae without learning. I did it too. I registered SelfDrivingATV or something dumb like that :D in 2016.

So by self driving a tv I automatically think of autonomous and electronics. Great concept. So what do you think of Autonotronic.com or autonotronics.com . Both are available to hand register now. Here’s a link to future of autonomous article
https://mashable.com/article/volvo-electric-autonomous-concept-car-360c/#hRAzJb.hrPqr

You’re not gonna hurt my feelings if you think my sudden idea for a hand Reg is dumb. You never know though. That name could end up being an awesome tech brand. I’d risk 8 bucks for that. Will see if you or someone else registers this name. If so I’ll do the graphic for whoever buys it for free if you want.

Autonotronics - future of linked mobility 🤔

•••

Given what you are registering that is not going to happen.

•••
Hand reg is cheap and lucrative if you research research research.
Especially in future tech

Very recently you said you have never had a sale or even an inquiry, so I'd say it is time to step down from the podium and listen.

•••
So by self driving a tv I automatically think of autonomous and electronics. Great concept. So what do you think of Autonotronic.com or autonotronics.com . Both are available to hand register now. Here’s a link to future of autonomous article
https://mashable.com/article/volvo-electric-autonomous-concept-car-360c/#hRAzJb.hrPqr

You’re not gonna hurt my feelings if you think my sudden idea for a hand Reg is dumb. You never know though. That name could end up being an awesome tech brand. I’d risk 8 bucks for that. Will see if you or someone else registers this name. If so I’ll do the graphic for whoever buys it for free if you want.

Autonotronics - future of linked mobility 🤔

What is "Autono?" I googled it and it tries to correct to autonomy. I think autonomous will be a hit before autono. But you never know.

I didn't do more research than that, but if you can show me links where people are starting to use the abbreviation autono, then woot.

If not,t hen it's such a huge risk because it's a fad that you're trying to predict (not the autonomous fad, but the autono fad).

I would stick to pre-existing nicknames / abbreviations. :)

•••

So you could sell it for $30, is that profitable? If I can maybe sell a cake for $30 that costs $1 to make does that mean I should be in the cake business?

•••
What is "Autono?" I googled it and it tries to correct to autonomy. I think autonomous will be a hit before autono. But you never know.

I didn't do more research than that, but if you can show me links where people are starting to use the abbreviation autono, then woot.

If not,t hen it's such a huge risk because it's a fad that you're trying to predict (not the autonomous fad, but the autono fad).

I would stick to pre-existing nicknames / abbreviations. :)

I understand you want to play it safe. I don’t color inside the lines bc that’s what you’re supposed to do therefore it doesn’t interest me. I also don’t think outside the box because the box never really existed.

Envision a sleek looking autonomous pod or capsule . Use your imagination. Autonotronics. Just think about it, or don’t .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back