IT.COM

discuss Baffled by people against hand reg

NameSilo
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.
PLEASE DO NOT HANDREG, YOU WILL BE WAISTING YOUR MONEY

That is all I can say about it, particularly when we speak about legacy extensions like .com or .org. Almost no chance that you (or me) are more clever then all people out there. Honestly I do not see how new domainers in 2019 can make any money here, it works only for few incredibly hard working people, but not for 99% of people. I am not speaking here about people who registered their domains in 1997 and are now smiling all the way to the bank, I speak about new domainers with few bucks who are just starting.

As for new gTLDs, I always felt it has better chances for new domainers because of much less competition - the nicest and most profitable way nowdays is to drop-chatch (or register just after they are dropped) some good names, which were registered in EAPs by early pioneers in 2014/2015. People are dropping those from many reasons, particularly when they paid for hundreds or thousands of them very early, and they are not aware of all possibilities to keep them for cheap.This window of opportunity is also closing very quickly, it becomes very hard now.

•••
I am not going to debate about the meat of your proposition.

Separate from the debate, when someone cordially requests something, it is common courtesy to oblige.

He said, "NO personal comments about my way of doing things please
."

The first thing you did was point to his personal way of doing things. You did this against his request. That's not cool.

Its reasons like this that many people do not post due to fear of being ridiculed. It stifles conversation and creates unnecessary silence, exactly the opposite of a forums purpose. I struggle, not to understand your proposition, but with why common courtesy can't be honored.

Bob starts a thread wanting people to explain to him why he should wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle but don't mention anything personal.

Me - Understanding personal matters in this case, links to a thread where Bob fell off his motorcycle and hit his head on a light pole, putting him in the hospital for 2 months.

internet.domains (redundant name) - how is this possibly relevant?

That's where it's at. Not sure if there is some magical number of times somebody needs to explain something to you before you understand. Again, already explained why I posted that. If you don't understand, that's your issue. Continuing to cry about it isn't going to change it.

Last edited:
•••
And how many of those handregs have you sold so far, and for how much ? Everybody can and does handreg, bypassing domainers.

As I said in the original post Kate,this is not about me and what I have or have not sold. It's a debate about hand reg in general

Fresh hand regs are incredibly hard to sell.

It's not impossible, but why make things harder?

No debate here, you want to sit on an inventory of domains for the rest of your life go with handregs.

You want to make some sales and turn a profit, then buy some aged names for a fair price and make a few $k each time.

•••
First of all, this is a hobby for me at the moment as I have a well paid job that I love .I have a portfolio of just over 200 hand reg domains for a total outlay of £500. If I can't double my money within a year then I will have failed without much damage. If however, I spend thousands on good established names and don't sell them, then I'm in trouble.

•••
First of all, this is a hobby for me at the moment as I have a well paid job that I love .I have a portfolio of just over 200 hand reg domains for a total outlay of £500. If I can't double my money within a year then I will have failed without much damage. If however, I spend thousands on good established names and don't sell them, then I'm in trouble.

You would have done better to do your research and buy 5 decent names for $100 each.

This whole "just a hobby" statement is not a justification for laziness. It's a blanket that failing domainers like to use to make themselves feel all better.

You love your job, great, but there isn't a person in this world that wants to waste time and money.

Right now, that's what you are doing.

If you want to have a profitable hobby then stop with the .xyz nonsense and take some of that well paid job money and invest it in something that will give you a good return.

This whole thread is almost a waste of time , ans snubs the decades of knowledge on this website that have this same conversation over and over with newbs.

At the end of the day, you do you. I'm pretty sure you got all of the answers you need for this thread.

Last edited:
•••
Justification for laziness ? Don't talk rubbish. Talk to me in a year s**t head !!

•••
I can see now why you're baffled.

•••
You would have done better to do your research and buy 5 decent names for $100 each.

This whole "just a hobby" statement is not a justification for laziness. It's a blanket that failing domainers like to use to make themselves feel all better.

You love your job, great, but there isn't a person in this world that wants to waste time and money.

Right now, that's what you are doing.

If you want to have a profitable hobby then stop with the .xyz nonsense and take some of that well paid job money and invest it in something that will give you a good return.

This whole thread is almost a waste of time , ans snubs the decades of knowledge on this website that have this same conversation over and over with newbs.

At the end of the day, you do you. I'm pretty sure you got all of the answers you need for this thread.
You say this thread is a waste of time yet you spent time replying. REALLY !!

•••
You say this thread is a waste of time yet you spent time replying. REALLY !!

He actually said almost a waste of time, yet still stuck around to give you some valuable information.

There is no point dealing in crap domains. If you are experienced you might be able to find some hidden gems here and there, but with limited experience hand regs are likely going to be a waste of time.

If you buy a decent name for a $100 ish then the renewals don't matter as much as paying for renewals on something that is largely worthless.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Justification for laziness ? Don't talk rubbish. Talk to me in a year s**t head !!

Oh i'm talking to you right now hobby-boy. The truth hurts, I know, but what I am telling you is the hard truth to help you, not to hurt your feelings. You can't be sensitive in this game.

So wake up!!! If You're Going to Do Something, Do It Right or Don't Do It.

Otherwise I will try to talk to you in a year, but you will have an "Account-auto closed" tag under your name and I won't be able to find out how many names you've dropped.

Either way, good luck and god bless.

•••
He actually said almost a waste of time, yet still stuck around to give you some valuable information.

There is no point dealing in crap domains. If you are experienced you might be able to find some hidden gems here and there, but with limited experience hand regs are likely going to be a waste of time.

If you buy a decent name for a $100 ish then the renewals don't matter as much as paying for renewals on something that is largely worthless.

Brad
Do you actually know that all my domains are worthless ? To most people yes they probably are but it only takes one person to decide they want that particular domain. I look a namebio every day and most of the sales mean absolutely nothing but still sell . One man's junk is another man's treasure

•••
Do you actually know that all my domains are worthless ? To most people yes they probably are but it only takes one person to decide they want that particular domain. I look a namebio every day and most of the sales mean absolutely nothing but still sell . One man's junk is another man's treasure

No, but I know you posted a thread saying you have not received any offers.
That is usually a pretty good indicator of quality.

Sales aside, if you are not even getting inquiries that tells a story about the domain quality.
Sales are streaky, but a good portfolio tends to get steady inquiries and offers.

Brad

•••
Oh i'm talking to you right now hobby-boy. The truth hurts, I know, but what I am telling you is the hard truth to help you, not to hurt your feelings. You can't be sensitive in this game.

So wake up!!! If You're Going to Do Something, Do It Right or Don't Do It.

Otherwise I will try to talk to you in a year, but you will have an "Account-auto closed" tag under your name and I won't be able to find out how many names you've dropped.

Either way, good luck and god bless.
As for auto close I don't really care to be honest. However I should not have used bad language and I apologize

•••
No, but I know you posted a thread saying you have not received any offers.
That is usually a pretty good indicator of quality.

Sales aside, if you are not even getting inquiries that tells a story about the domain quality.
Sales are streaky, but a good portfolio tends to get steady inquiries and offers.

Brad
Point taken. But as everyone keeps telling me, it's early days

•••

Sometimes junk is just junk and it sits around until someone takes out the trash. The Odds are against you.

•••
As for auto close I don't really care to be honest. However I should not have used bad language and I apologize
For what it's worth, you are excused for the bad language. For sometime now I have witnessed you being unnecessarily attacked. I am about to use some foul language on your behalf....hahaha

•••
Sometimes junk is just junk and it sits around until someone takes out the trash. The Odds are against you.
Maybe,maybe not

•••
For what it's worth, you are excused for the bad language. For sometime now I have witnessed you being unnecessarily attacked. I am about to use some foul language on your behalf....hahaha
Haha. Thanks bud

•••
Maybe,maybe not

They definitely are. Companies including Godaddy use automation to catch dropping domains so very few "good" domains become available.

You have to catch a trend before others be extremely lucky. Denial is expensive.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Point taken. But as everyone keeps telling me, it's early days

Early days of what? The internet is well established and there are 130M+ .COM regs.
It is slim pickings on what is available.

Most hand regs are available for a reason, because no one else wanted it. It is unlikely that something would be available then all of sudden another party is willing to pay a premium for it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
They definitely are. Companies including Godaddy use automation to catch dropping domains so very few "good" domains become available.

You have to catch a trend before other be extremely lucky. Denial is expensive.
I guess you have been through my portfolio to come to that conclusion, right ?

•••
I sell a lot of handregs, but almost all of them are names that just dropped. Not all good drops are snapped by robots.

However, I personally think it’s a waste of time to handreg “random” .com names etc.

•••
I guess you have been through my portfolio to come to that conclusion, right ?

You could prove everyone wrong by linking to your portfolio. Makes us eat our hats.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back