Dynadot

You can lead a horse to water…

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tld4me

Established Member
Impact
Sometimes you can do your best to try and help an organization, or company, but the help falls on deaf ears or is ignored. In both of the following situations my “help” was unsolicited. Fully aware of that. Here are two of my recent examples.

--------------------------------

Example 1:

Found a short, single word, .net domain name. Expired, available for hand reg. I started doing research. Found a local non-profit that uses the exact single word as an acronym for their group. Normally a .org would be best for an organization (.org taken), but then I read their “About Us” and the first sentence described their organization being a “network of …”.

Perfect! (I thought). Their current url follows this pattern: SingleWordChapter.MultipleRandomWords . org.

I registered the SingleWord . net and sent the group an email explaining who I am, how I applaud their organization, and that I registered singleword.net. If they want it, I would give it to their group for free. Let me know.

*Crickets*

Example 2:

Found a recently expired two word domain .com. I started doing research. Found a business that owned the same two word .net. It’s their exact company name. Not a tech company. No reason for them to have the .net other than the .com was already taken when they registered the .net. (Records show this was true)

The company is seemingly growing. A few decades old. Their website is fairly modern. Not a great job, but OK. They have started to develop their social media presence for a few years now. So they are trying to update their image. I’ve Googled the location for their facilities and they seem somewhat large.

I didn’t have any want for this domain and there didn’t seem to be any other companies where this name would apply.

I emailed the company directly. Told them the .com has recently become available and they can register it themselves with any company they choose - it’s available for the taking.

*Crickets*

.com still available for hand reg as of me typing this, one week after contacting them.

--------------------------------

In a different situation, I had a very positive interaction which in the end made everyone feel good.

While doing research, some names aren't worth trying to buy and sell, but genuinely might help a specific company. I'm certainly putting myself into situations where I haven't been asked to "help". Even so, the no responses and lack of action are strange to me!

Any of you seasoned domainers ever find yourselves trying to be a “do-gooder” and have unexpected results? (good or bad)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sometimes the message just isn't reaching the right person, the person who buys domains and makes those decisions. Sometimes they're just happy with what they have going on, don't care or don't understand having the .com when they have the .net or other situations.

•••
They might be thinking about the hassle of site migration, so you should explain or emphasize to them what domain name forwarding is.

•••
If I get an email from someone I don't know claiming that they're willing to offer me something for free I usually stop reading it at that point. As far as reaching out to a company to point out that a domain they may want is unregistered, it's probably not within the job description of whoever is managing the emails to forward it to the administrators.

•••
1. Most emails will never end up reaching anyone

2. If it does reach someone, there is a chance that person is not the right person and won't send it anywhere

3. People are paranoid and just assume everything is a scam

I see many domainers assume that if you email it arrives. Big mistake. Sometimes even people that I have ongoing emails with will end up in spam or other by mistake.

If I would do outbound right now I would pick up a phone and follow up to emails.

A long time ago a TM name dropped so I emailed the company that was using the .net. They told me to remove them from my email list. If you are in the mood of being kind, go outside and feed a bird or cat.

•••
3. People are paranoid and just assume everything is a scam

Yes, e-mail as a communication channel is pretty much dead for that reason. Half of new registrants don't confirm their e-mail and get their domain put into clientHold, because they treat that e-mail as scam. And that's an official, ICANN-sanctioned message, what about some random guy wanting to sell (or give) you something?

Last edited:
•••

you can lead a horse to water...​

Hi

the recipients of the emails aren't horses and what you're offering isn't water.

still, if they are not thirsty, then they won't drink.

imo...

If I get an email from someone I don't know claiming that they're willing to offer me something for free I usually stop reading it at that point
Hi

i'd do the same thing.

If you are in the mood of being kind, go outside and feed a bird or cat.
HI

yeah, just don't feed the bird to the cat. :)

•••
A long time ago a TM name dropped so I emailed the company that was using the .net. They told me to remove them from my email list. If you are in the mood of being kind, go outside and feed a bird or cat.

Hah! I like this advice. The animals are most likely much more appreciative/in need too!

I think those of you that mentioned things along the lines of not getting the communication to the people that need to see it are correct. It's a shame. Some companies spend so much money on advertising, tech support, websites, software, social media - and then miss (or mistakenly drop) a domain name that could be vital to the success or protection of their business. Oh well I guess.

I think I'll still keep reaching out in similar situations if I've already burned the time in research and can't use the domain. Doesn't hurt too much to send off an e-mail/message that may never get read. If karma is real, maybe these small gestures bump it up a bit! Who knows.

I was hoping to hear some positive stories too. I'll leave one:
I had success with contacting a large company because they clearly listed their upper management on their main site. I reached out to their head of legal via LinkedIn, who contacted their CTO, who then contacted me. In the end, they were super appreciative and got the domain. It was a clear trademark they owned. The domain wasn't something they used for outward facing customers, but something they used internally and for brand protection. Never hurts to own the .com of one of your trademarks.

•••
Help only the persons who need your help. Don't help a million/billion dollar company or a government or anything which is stronger than you. If you help someone who is more powerful than you, it's not a real help. Even if karma is real -I am unsure if it's- I don't think karma will work that way. Help without any expectation on return if you think karma is real or want to make it real.

•••
Help only the persons who need your help. Don't help a million/billion dollar company or a government or anything which is stronger than you. If you help someone who is more powerful than you, it's not a real help. Even if karma is real -I am unsure if it's- I don't think karma will work that way. Help without any expectation on return if you think karma is real or want to make it real.
Help, they say, is a currency. Spend it wisely. But what if the ledger isn’t balanced? What if the needy and the mighty both knock at our door?

Perhaps, my friend, we needn’t choose sides. The beggar and the tycoon—they share the same air, tread the same soil. Our kindness, like rain, falls upon parched earth and marble palaces alike.

So, let us be shrewd altruists. Let us help, not because karma tallies our deeds, but because compassion is our native tongue. And if this NamePros forum—the bustling agora of ideas—falters under such weight, perhaps it’s a sign that we’re asking the right questions.

In this dance of empathy, let us waltz with open arms, regardless of the partner’s attire. For in the end, the stage belongs to us all.

•••
In this dance of empathy, let us waltz with open arms, regardless of the partner’s attire. For in the end, the stage belongs to us all.[/I]

The stage doesn't belong to us all, or at least equally. Only the strong can/should help the weak. The weak has to avoid helping the strong. If not, nothing can help the weak.

•••
Humans feed only the weak animals, like small cats, dogs and birds. We don't feed lion, falcon, elephant, wolf, whale, shark for only one reason, those are stronger than humans.

•••
"I'm certainly putting myself into situations where I haven't been asked to "help" - exactly, they havent asked for your help. They are probably very happy with what they have.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Help, they say, is a currency. Spend it wisely. But what if the ledger isn’t balanced? What if the needy and the mighty both knock at our door?

Perhaps, my friend, we needn’t choose sides. The beggar and the tycoon—they share the same air, tread the same soil. Our kindness, like rain, falls upon parched earth and marble palaces alike.

So, let us be shrewd altruists. Let us help, not because karma tallies our deeds, but because compassion is our native tongue. And if this NamePros forum—the bustling agora of ideas—falters under such weight, perhaps it’s a sign that we’re asking the right questions.

In this dance of empathy, let us waltz with open arms, regardless of the partner’s attire. For in the end, the stage belongs to us all.
Very nice, Thank you for writing.

•••
•••
Humans feed only the weak animals, like small cats, dogs and birds. We don't feed lion, falcon, elephant, wolf, whale, shark for only one reason, those are stronger than humans.
I live in wolf country and almost every week some farmer is giving up a calf, a lamb or chickens to feed those wolves. :xf.wink:

Seriously though, we have a Noah's Ark thing, us humans. We just like to feed animals. Any kind of animal. All the animals. You ever watch The Tiger King? The Crocodile Hunter? Sea World? Jurrassic Park? haha How to feed a T-rex.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back