IT.COM

discuss Baffled by people against hand reg

NameSilo
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I started with lots of hand regged domains. Most of these domains are two words, LLLL.com, and domain hacks.

To be honest there are still some pockets of good domain names…..if you can find them.

Recently, I was searching for a good domain for chess site that can be a store, blog, or chess club. After a few hours of searching I actually found two both in .com

One is KnightsGambit and the other one is much shorter that contain a word chess on it. For a chess player they know what knight’s gambit is.

Hand regged is fine as long as you know what you’ll do with those hand regged names.

•••
•••
What about dropcatch?
All names there hand reg, and some selling for thousands.

Last edited:
•••
I've regged a couple of names that expired in recent months and I'm surprised they were available. It makes me wonder whether I'm seeing value that isn't there.

When a good domain expires, does it always go to auction? Or, are there registrars that just let names drop?

•••
Bernard...you probably had some decent names you reg'd, but unless you tried everything you could to get them in front of an "end user" your efforts are for naught.

I''ll give you an example, I just reg'd a name that's on the thread "Your Reg of the Day". The name is pretty straight forward, and directly addresses "single payer" healthcare insurance for life. I'm on Medicare now, and use to be in the medical billing business so I'm familiar with the medical industry. I happen to think it's a pretty good name, but stand alone, no one will ever know about it. Thus, when I can find the time I need to get the name in front of my congressmen here in Virginia. Again, let me emphasize that unless you can envision who might use the name and for what purpose, don't waste your time. Make sense? Thanks,

•••
Thanks @ThatNameGuy. I understand the likely need to outbound my names. I'll rephrase the question.

When I reg what I believe is a good name, and I see that it dropped its nameservers one month ago, it makes me wonder, did the name drop quietly and I am fortunate to be the first to notice? Can a good name get dropped quietly, without any dropcatch or auction noticing?

•••
heck yes.drops happen for all kinds of reasons.it's unlikely you'll pick up or create a million dollar name. but sometimes even dictionary words expire.i picked up one a while back and i don't know or care how it expired.as for decent hand regs they happen as well.i came up with one last summer.
-
exp dictionary pickup-$1 pupped.com
8/8/18 creation-theresadealhere.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back