Dynadot

discuss Baffled by people against hand reg

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
As many of you know, I hand reg all my domains. Most posts I have read are all against it. I am baffled by this as ALL domains were originally hand reg . Your comments and opinions are welcome but NO personal comments about my way of doing things please.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A hand reg in 2018 is a lot different than a hand reg in 1998.

As time goes on, hand regs become worse.

•••
I totally hear what you are saying, but there are new businesses starting up every day across the world. Also new technology and advancements in medicine ect. Every domain name out there was hand regged at some point and will continue. Surely it's just a case of hand regging the right one that will benefit a new technology or business

•••
I now prefer spending more money on a few quality and aged domains at a time vs spending on many hand regs and renewals

I find these names sell quicker and also sell themselves easier

Some make a lot of profit with hand regs, i.e. geos

Just really depends on the business model

Thanks

•••
And how many of those handregs have you sold so far, and for how much ? Everybody can and does handreg, bypassing domainers.

•••
I heard the same negative things about hand regs in 2014-2015. I registered a whole bunch of 'drone' domains at that time. Sold almost all of them for a great ROI.

Hand registering is one of many tactics or strategies a domain investor can pursue. However, it comes with great risk, but can have a good ROI.

Is hand registering good for every investor? Probably not.

Is hand registering good for some? Yes

Your call, your world, your domain. Make the most of it.....and most importantly, enjoy the journey until you get to the destination.

•••
And how many of those handregs have you sold so far, and for how much ? Everybody can and does handreg, bypassing domainers.
As I said in the original post Kate,this is not about me and what I have or have not sold. It's a debate about hand reg in general

•••
We are domainers, so the aim is to sell domains, not collect them right ?

Saying that "Every domain name out there was hand regged at some point" does not change the fact that the very best names were registered a long time ago, and the opportunities left today will never equal those of the past.

•••
I think hand-registrations should be left to experienced domainers, unless you are some sort of prodigy. Why? Well, give it a year and see how keen you are to renew those domains.

Panning for gold, drilling for oil, buying stock, bitcoin and tons more had their infancy as well, but good luck gong back to basics on those. I think this is the message people are trying to relay..

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
A hand reg in 2018 is a lot different than a hand reg in 1998.

As time goes on, hand regs become worse.

Exactly. While there might be some exceptions to the rule, the vast majority of domains are available for a reason.

You need to actually make sales in order to show a proof of concept. Otherwise, you are just collecting liabilities.

Brad

•••
•••
I guess you didn't read his opening.

Yeah, well it kind of proves the point.

Many people are against hand regs because the average available quality is low, so the odds of making a sale are low.

Brad

•••
Your own thread:

Never had a sale or inquiry

https://www.namepros.com/threads/never-had-a-sale-or-inquiry-trendingspy-com.1116283/

Can you sell a hand reg? Or course. But if it's available, somehow everybody in the world missed it, so chances are lower for a sale vs. domains picked up elsewhere, like the aftermarket.

HeHe, that's almost comical JB (y)

As far as responding to the OP....

Trends my good man, trends...
Stay on top of them and covfefe before anyone else does.

If you don't know what covfefe is then you need to research trends a bit more.

In conclusion... forget what you think you know about hand registering and stay on top of news, whats fresh, whats happening, whats trending. Register it before anyone else does and you might strike it big.

•••
•••
I read it, but it's relevant obviously.
Relevant? How so? He made no statement of facts in his opening. On top of that he specifically stated, "NO personal comments about my way of doing things please."

And you couldn't honor that?

No need to answer that last question, as this can quickly turn off topic.

•••
We're lucky that the people making the trends, making it happen and making the news are just too damn busy to register the domain along with it.. so this is where we come in. Filling the gap. Can't just fill it with anything though. So if you're going to hand-reg that gap, takes a sharp tool to get it right.

•••
I agree with Kate. But, it isn't just about today's poor availability. Pretty much every business that is in existence (lets say pre 2008) had to secure their chosen domain and of course many if not most were already held by domainers, certainly those domains that could be described as a descriptive were mostly taken. But today your really only dealing with new startups and new technology domains as a business opportunity.

The massive growth in the internet and on-line presence is not going to be repeated.

I took some time today to read a few pages of the 20 page plus, post about Ntlds and the costs of renewals. I don't know what shocked me the most the domains being registered or the renewal prices being paid. We would need a 'second coming' of the internet to see even a small fraction of those domains end up in end users hands.

Sorry but that's my opinion and based on pure logic

Last edited:
•••
Quote from Jeff Bezos:

"Before, if you were making a product, the right business strategy was to put 70% of your attention, energy, and dollars into shouting about a product, and 30% into making a great product.

So you could win with a mediocre product, if you were a good enough marketer.

That is getting harder to do. The balance of power is shifting toward consumers and away from companies...the individual is empowered...

The right way to respond to this if you are a company is to put the vast majority of your energy, attention and dollars into building a great product or service and put a smaller amount into shouting about it, marketing it.

If I build a great product or service, my customers will tell each other."

This is what I am focused on

The better and more in demand the name the more inbound inquiries you will get and less "selling" you will have to do

There is money to be made in picking the right names in future industries/trends/geos though

Thanks

•••
There are plenty of good names available for handreg, but there's no exact science behind picking out the winners and it is usually experienced investors who know how to weed out what can sell, which I think why it's advised to stay away from them when first starting out.

Almost everyone, including myself, will think they are the exception to the rule and waste a lot of bread in the beginning that is better off going toward names that have obvious/aftermarket value.

Last edited:
•••
Relevant? How so? He made no statement of facts in his opening. On top of that he specifically stated, "NO personal comments about my way of doing things please."

And you couldn't honor that?

No need to answer that last question, as this can quickly turn off topic.

I already explained it to you, I told you it was relevant. Then you actually ask how? I don't understand your struggle to understand that. Somebody is baffled about hand regs and his own personal experience is zero inquiries/sales. It doesn't get much more dot to dot than that. He's new, he's learning. Like I said, you can get sales off hand regs, I have. But the better names are in the aftermarket. Those names, overall, usually have a better chance at selling.

Last edited:
•••
Hand reg is an easy way to lose lots of money, almost always very low quality names people picking up that business don’t want even at $10.

•••
I already explained it to you, I told you it was relevant. Then you actually ask how? I don't understand your struggle to understand that. Somebody is baffled about hand regs and his own personal experience is zero inquiries/sales. It doesn't get much more dot to dot than that. He's new, he's learning. Like I said, you can get sales off hand regs, I have. But the better names are in the aftermarket. Those names, overall, usually have a better chance at selling.
I am not going to debate about the meat of your proposition.

Separate from the debate, when someone cordially requests something, it is common courtesy to oblige.

He said, "NO personal comments about my way of doing things please
."

The first thing you did was point to his personal way of doing things. You did this against his request. That's not cool.

Its reasons like this that many people do not post due to fear of being ridiculed. It stifles conversation and creates unnecessary silence, exactly the opposite of a forums purpose. I struggle, not to understand your proposition, but with why common courtesy can't be honored.

•••
HeHe, that's almost comical JB (y)

As far as responding to the OP....

If you don't know what covfefe is then you need to research trends a bit more.

In conclusion... forget what you think you know about hand registering and stay on top of news, whats fresh, whats happening, whats trending. Register it before anyone else does and you might strike it big.

Trendy names another easy way to lose lots of money.

•••
Back