IT.COM

What's top of mind for everyone these days?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey everyone πŸ‘‹ I haven't logged into NP for years but thought I'd pop in to say hello. I'm not very involved in the domain industry any more but domains always hold a special place in my heart as do some of the amazing people in this industry.

Curious to know what's top of mind for people these days? Hope you're all having a nice weekend!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interest rates. When startups and established companies feel confident the machine works.

•••
That’s a good one. What impact do you think that has on the domain industry?

•••
Hey everyone πŸ‘‹ I haven't logged into NP for years but thought I'd pop in to say hello. I'm not very involved in the domain industry any more but domains always hold a special place in my heart as do some of the amazing people in this industry.

Curious to know what's top of mind for people these days? Hope you're all having a nice weekend!

Hey Morgan, thanks for stopping by. I’ve enjoyed reading your blog over the years and am sure i owe you a beer or two for the $$$ I’ve made from some of your posts.

The main thing on my mind these days is AI. As a developer I’m using it heavily every day and the pace of change on all fronts is mind boggling.

•••
•••

It's always nice to see an old timer stop by! :xf.smile:

It has been quite a ride here...from the Epik battles to Covid Wars, all things have been covered in one way or another over the last few years.

So, what names from the past do you still hold and are most fond of?

•••

welcome BACK to namePros!

Spicy pickles.

For anybody who may not have been on nP recently understand it's relevance, here's an explanation:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-domaining-dictionary.744093/page-6#post-9177210

SpicyPickle - when it pertains to domain names, this is a tongue-in-cheek, internal reference to be found on Namepros only.

On Namepros only, a 'SpicyPickle' refers to when a domainer (usually a newbie) regs or buys a poor quality domain, and then begins a dishonest thread here about that domain. They use the tactic that they have turned down very high offers for it, or they have received high offers and they ask us what should they do, or they are developing the domain but they know it has huge value and ask us whether they should sell it instead. Or they make up other sentences to try fool us into becoming interested in their domain.

In reality, they've usually had the domain for a very short time, usually a hand reg (or sometimes they vastly overpaid for it in the aftermarket, due to being newbies). In reality, they have had no offers for it. In reality, they have their domain listed for sale here (or Sedo, Afternic, wherever), often for much less $ than they told us the offers were for. Example: they might tell us they had an offer of $65K for a domain, and ask us whether they should accept it... meanwhile, they just listed it here on Namepros for $1.5K. That's just a random example :)

In reality, they think that we - and remember, many of us are long time experienced domainers - cannot do a tiny little bit of research and find out they are telling lies.

In short:
1. They come to this forum, make up a bunch of lies about their domain (usually a fresh reg, of low quality), hoping to fool someone here into buying their domain.
2. We do a quick bit of research, and discover their lies.
3. They either continue to hang around, in which case we hope they learn to become better domainers and better people; or they leave the forum the moment their lies are discovered, and are never heard from again.

Note: many newbies try dishonest tactics. Instead of just naming and shaming, I always hope they learn to carry themselves as better domainers, better domain ambassadors, and more honest humans. Education, and example, is what we hope to achieve here. Best wishes to all newbies... if you are starting out dishonest, I hope we can change that for the better and that you can become productive and successful here!

Derived from:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/spicypickle-net-guys-i-want-to-buy-this-domain-in-1k.1314964/

Last edited:
•••
Hey Morgan, thanks for stopping by. I’ve enjoyed reading your blog over the years and am sure i owe you a beer or two for the $$$ I’ve made from some of your posts.

The main thing on my mind these days is AI. As a developer I’m using it heavily every day and the pace of change on all fronts is mind boggling.
Love it! As you likely know, I’m the CTO of an AI company, so sounds like we’re wired the same way.

When we started pitching our solution to companies ten years ago, the fact that we used AI sometimes worked against us as so many companies thought AI was just a fad and didn’t trust it.

So exciting to see AI finally see more broad acceptance πŸ₯³

•••
welcome BACK to namePros!

For anybody who may not have been on nP recently understand it's relevance, here's an explanation:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-domaining-dictionary.744093/page-6#post-9177210

Derived from:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/spicypickle-net-guys-i-want-to-buy-this-domain-in-1k.1314964/
Interesting, and that’s a bummer to hear. Curious to know if you think forums like this have become a more positive or negative force over the years?

•••
It's always nice to see an old timer stop by! :xf.smile:

It has been quite a ride here...from the Epik battles to Covid Wars, all things have been covered in one way or another over the last few years.

So, what names from the past do you still hold and are most fond of?
My portfolio is pretty small these days, still love my two-word .coms, after all these years that remains my favorite category of domain investment.

•••
Interesting, and that’s a bummer to hear. Curious to know if you think forums like this have become a more positive or negative force over the years?

That's a tricky question.

I haven't been around namePros, or domain forums in general, for as long as your 2007 nP join date. I assume some of the factors that mattered then, still matter today. Namely, depending on how one decides to spend their time.

Yesterday, I spent about a half hour playing with Google Gemini to create spicy pickle domainer pictures, and getting Gemini to write jokes + a comparitive analysis on how spicy pickle domainers relate to Pickle Rick (of Rick and Morty) just to post to nP.

I fed:
(a) the opening post of the $65k offer thread
(b) your definition of Spicy Pickle
(c) the transcript of the pickle rick and morty episode
into Google Gemini...

...Then I asked for: (1) comparitive analysis + (2) jokes + (3) spicy domainer pickle pictures.

(1) The results are in:

TraitDomainerPickle Rick
MotivationInflate domain value, gain recognition, financial gainAvoid therapy, assert independence, prove intelligence
MethodDeceptive tactics, fabricated stories, manipulationScientific transformation, escape, violence
OverconfidenceBelieves in their ability to outsmart experienced domainersBelieves in his superior intellect and ability to outsmart anyone
AvoidanceAvoids the hard work of legitimate domain investingAvoids emotional vulnerability and family therapy
ConsequencesPublic humiliation, loss of credibilityTemporary physical vulnerability, forced to confront emotions
TransformationTurns a low-value domain into a "spicy pickle"Turns himself into a literal pickle
Lesson LearnedHonesty and hard work are key to success in domainingEmotional connection and vulnerability are important for well-being

Key Takeaways:
  • Both the domainer and Pickle Rick use their intelligence and creativity to manipulate situations to their advantage.
  • Both are motivated by a desire to avoid unpleasant realities (poor domain quality for the domainer, family therapy for Rick).
  • Both ultimately face consequences that force them to confront their shortcomings.
  • The domainer's transformation is metaphorical, turning a legitimate domain into a "spicy pickle" through lies and deception.
  • Pickle Rick's transformation is literal, using science to physically become a pickle.
  • Both learn valuable lessons through their experiences, albeit in different ways.
This comparison highlights how both characters, despite their vastly different circumstances, share underlying motivations and flaws. It also serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of dishonesty, avoidance, and overconfidence.

(2) Jokes:
  • He thought he could pull a Pickle Rick, turning FusionByte into a golden dill, but now he's trapped in the jar of his own dill-emma, a spicy pickle sweating under the scorching spotlight of Namepros.
  • He tried to concoct a FusionByte masterpiece, but the Namepros grill was too hot, charring his reputation and turning his briny ambition into a spicy pickle meme for all to relish.
  • He tried to pull a Pickle Rick, but instead of escaping therapy, he ended up in the therapy group for delusional domainers with a spicy pickle problem and a heaping side of dill-enial.
(3) Spicy Domainer Pickle Pictures:

Show attachment 257237Show attachment 257236Show attachment 257233Show attachment 257243Show attachment 257235Show attachment 257245Show attachment 257246

More pictures attached

So in that regard, I guess it's a pretty clear negative impact to my time, but I did get the added gemini user experience, as trivial as it may have been.

I've noticed that looking at earlier namePros posts, say 2015 and before, that a lot of the comments and discussion were of higher quality. ChatBots have helped bring back content, but post quality is seemingly suffering from the lack of original thought or experiences. It could just be due to a difference in todays nP membership, having lost a lot of the best members to twitter and elsewhere over the years.

Speaking for new members and not for domain hindsight, If you could go back in time to when you joined namePros in 2007, how would you spend your time? Basically wondering, since you appear to be a possitive force, how can others replicate your success?

Last edited:
•••
That's a tricky question.

I haven't been around namePros, or domain forums in general, for as long as your 2007 nP join date. I assume some of the factors that mattered then, still matter today. Namely, depending on how one decides to spend their time.

Yesterday, I spent about a half hour playing with Google Gemini to create spicy pickle domainer pictures, and getting Gemini to write jokes + a comparitive analysis on how spicy pickle domainers relate to Pickle Rick (of Rick and Morty) just to post to nP.

So in that regard, I guess it's a pretty clear negative impact to my time, but I did get the added gemini user experience, as trivial as it may have been.

I've noticed that looking at earlier namePros posts, say 2015 and before, that a lot of the comments and discussion were of higher quality. ChatBots have helped bring back content, but post quality is seemingly suffering from the lack of original thought or experiences. It could just be due to a difference in todays nP membership, having lost a lot of the best members to twitter and elsewhere over the years.

Speaking for new members and not for domain hindsight, If you could go back in time to when you joined namePros in 2007, how would you spend your time? Basically wondering, since you appear to be a possitive force, how can others replicate your success?
That’s a great question. I think I would probably spend time asking as many questions as I could and learning from others. I think it’s easy for newcomers to be intimidated asking questions but the reality is, we’re all always learning and the market dynamics are always changing.

All that said, at least for me, going to my first domain conference and meeting real investors in-person made a major impact.

It’s also good too now what you’re good at and what you aren’t. I’m an engineer so have always made a pretty lousy salesperson. I also know next to nothing about marketing or branding so have found I don’t have the same eye for good domains as someone with more experience there.

Overall, being humble and open to knowing that you’ve made a million mistakes is what I’d recommend for newcomers, asking questions can help you accelerate your learning.

•••
All that said, at least for me, going to my first domain conference and meeting real investors in-person made a major impact.

Since COVID, it seems like virtual domain conferences created their own space.

Be it TheDomainSocial.com meetups hosted by @Ategy OR X Spaces such as those recently hosted by IshMilly, I think those are the new gems evolving today. Even if I'm just there as a listener.

I guess though maybe to your point, virtual connections aren't the same as in person human connection?

I've only been to one live in person namesCon, in Vegas, and I went as a volunteer for a free ticket. When I wasn't working the show, I was intimidated to go booth to booth learning about new spaces, in the end it almost felt like I was collecting business cards. Maybe I just missed step 2 to the in-person experience, aka the follow up...

...One thing I did enjoy however was being able to meet some namePros memebers in real life.

Can you share your experiene of how meeting real investors in-person made a major impact for you?

Last edited:
•••
Since COVID, it seems like virtual domain conferences created their own space.

Be it TheDomainSocial.com meetups hosted by @Ategy OR X Spaces such as those recently hosted by IshMilly, I think those are the new gems evolving today. Even if I'm just there as a listener.

I guess though maybe to your point, virtual connections aren't the same as in person human connection?

I've only been to one live in person namesCon, in Vegas, and I went as a volunteer for a free ticket. When I wasn't working the show, I was intimidated to go booth to booth learning about new spaces, in the end it almost felt like I was collecting business cards. Maybe I just missed step 2 to the in-person experience, aka the follow up...

...One thing I did enjoy however was being able to meet some namePros memebers in real life.

Can you share your experiene of how meeting real investors in-person made a major impact for you?

Yes, and you're right - I do think that virtual connections just aren't the same as human connections. The human connections I made didn't come from going to talks or booths, it was really just tagging along for dinner, coffee, etc. and just connecting more naturally.

I've made some really amazing lifelong friends - people like Braden, Shane, Ammar - some of these really turned into such meaningful friendships for me.

I don't go to domain conferences any more since I'm not active in the space but conferences in the space I am active in, i.e. startups/venture are great for the same. There really is no replacement for breaking bread with people and getting to know them in-person. That being said, I've never been a big fan of conference talks or booths so I tend to avoid those still FWIW.

Of course, I'm not trying to discourage people from going to talks or visiting booths, I know some people who love that and get a lot out of it, everyone's a bit different. The unifying piece is the value of meeting someone in-person, looking them in the eye, and having a real conversation.

Last edited:
•••
Interest rates. When startups and established companies feel confident the machine works.
Most startups raise money in exchange for stock. If you have a good idea, it is easy to get funding. The problem is, most ideas are not good.

•••
Not just an idea.

A viable business that can scale, is required today for getting funded.

Most startups raise money in exchange for stock. If you have a good idea, it is easy to get funding. The problem is, most ideas are not good.

•••
Hey everyone πŸ‘‹ I haven't logged into NP for years..

Same.... Crypto did that to some of us during that once in a lifetime parabolic bull run...lol... On "top of mind", all digital assets, crypto & domains, as always..... Cheers Morgan

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back