IT.COM

opinion What to think about when buying new gTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

Today I've got some messages regarding new gTLDs. I've been asked what to think about before choosing a specific name and where to sell these names? Although, I'm no expert, I will share some of my personal ideas here below. If you are buying the name as an investment, I would suggest to using a checklist before spending your money. This is an example of such:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What names should I buy and what to think about before?

1. Do never buy names with an existing trademark issue. Obviously, do never register names such as "Toyota", "Coca-Cola", "Armani" or "Hilton", but do ALSO always check your potential names for other existing possible trademarks issues. I personally use:
I do also google the name to see if there might be any trademark issues that I am not aware of, and that aren't listed in the database mentioned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Then, ask yourself if you really think that your future name has a commercial potential for companies and / or start-ups, in this business segment? Why would these businesses buy your name, rather than find a corresponding .COM (to hand register or buy on the aftermarket)?

3. Do companies within this niche tend to invest in domain names? Here are two great sources to check previous aftermarket sales:

4. Are you sure you can not get an equally good corresponding .COM name for the same or even less money? If you're not sure, I would suggest to forget about that certain new gTLD. Use Estibot (or a similar tool) to check what CPC and search volume the phrase has. For non-generic gTLDs it is important to combine the keyword together with the extension when you're doing this search.

Example If you are researching the domain
"Brandable (dot) domains", submit the whole term "brandabledomains", not just "brandable".
  • http://estibot.com (a great tool for keyword research, but do not get too excited about the appraisal part).

5. Then ask yourself, how many corresponding phrases and keywords are registered? I personally think this is a very important factor for the future value of the domain. For the already mentioned domain name example; "Brandable (dot) domains", you'll have to make a search for: "brandabledomains".

I will use this tool for this research:
For this specific phrase, I've now learned that it is taken in 20 extensions, including .COM, .NET, .ORG and .INFO. For non-generic extensions I would not consider a domain that is taken in less than 10 or even 15 extensions.

- .XYZ, and .COM are generic TLDs.
- DOMAINS, .BEER and .HOLIDAY are generic niched TLDs (should be researched with the name and TLD combined).
- .CLUB and .PRO are generics "in between".

6. Is the TLD (extension) that you are researching popular?

A) Is it popular all over the world including China and India, or will it have any geographical limitations?
B) How popular is the extension overall? How many names have been registered in total?

I am using this tool to research each extension and it's renewal statistics etc:

7. Are the reg fees and renewal fees reasonable? How much will the domain cost you for a 5-year period? Will you be able to keep it for at least five years, if you get no requests from potential buyers?

Where to sell your domain names?

1. I really recommend everyone to set up own their own simple and fast loading parking pages, including a contact form and some brief information on each domain name. Don't write too much. If someone really is interested in your name, they will ask you. There are Wordpress themes available for building landing pages, or you might use a existing landing page / parking page service such as:

List your domains at several aftermarket platforms, but make sure to read about each platform's individual policy. Also learn how much commission they will charge, for each successful sale;

- Sedo.com
- Afternic.com
- Auctions.godaddy.com
- Flippa.com
- Domainnamesales.com
- Freemarket.com
- Igloo.com
- 4.cn
- Dn.properties
- Cax.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well written and really comprehensive guide...

I also follow some of the points you previously made.

I also think that domain hacks with gtlds are the future!

•••
Well, it's not just domain hacks that are the future. :D

•••
You may think it is
exaggeration, but i really believe it! Of course in certain gtlds. I may be wrong though, who knows? Only time will tell..

•••
Nice article, I think some of these new gTLDs are a better alternative to corresponding .com and registering both can strengthen your lot.

With the corresponding .com there's always three extra characters to type ( c o m).

I think at some stage business will begin to question these 4 extra characters and opt for the corresponding new gTLD domain to brand their products.

Last edited:
•••
With the corresponding .com there's always four extra characters to type (. c o m).

I think at some stage business will begin to question these 4 extra characters and opt for the corresponding new gTLD domain to brand their products.

I doubt anyone would go that far. But at that point, voice-based input may overtake text-based input for online browsing. Perhaps, the future would be more like a conversation with your computer rather than a keyboard.

•••
I doubt anyone would go that far. But at that point, voice-based input may overtake text-based input for online browsing. Perhaps, the future would be more like a conversation with your computer rather than a keyboard.

A slow adoption but it's already happening, humans are lazy at heart and are always looking for shortcuts.

•••
yes they are real hacks, not half hacks like for .es, .ly ... so have more sense and easy to use from the box : )

and yes using both with com will increase visibility, like using twitter together with facebook for marketing, some domainers maybe are missing this because the domain market appeared before real social media

•••
yes they are real hacks, not half hacks like for .es, .ly ... so have more sense and easy to use from the box : )

and yes using both with com will increase visibility, like using twitter together with facebook for marketing, some domainers maybe are missing this because the domain market appeared before real social media

Popular domain hacks may become lucrative parked domains as peoples searching habits change to accommodate a myriad of new extensions.

Selling paired domains of .com and its corresponding nTLD may catch on and be accommodated by major marketplaces.

The model I'm seeing is to develop one extension and redirect the other to catch all traffic. If a returning visitor mistaking visits the redirected domain you still have their custom, instead of giving it away to what probably be one of your main competitors.

Last edited:
•••
The most significant caution about registering nTLDs without a vibrant aftermarket is to put some limits:

1) how much you are willing to risk on any individual NTLD (as with any .COM) realizing the possibility no end user may ever be willing to buy your domain

2) limit how many new TLD domains you acquire realizing that most end user aftermarket sales continue to be in .COM and that alternative extensions have a track record of not being received well by end users

3) limit annual renewals by not acquiring domains with greater than $50 annual renewals and having a budget as to how much annual renewals will be in total (future cash flow will be significantly impacted by renewal costs

4) don't continue buying more and more NTLDs if you find your domain portfolio is not generating positive cash flow (sales less commissions less new acquisition and renewal costs). If you continue to buy domains no one wants and renew them, eventually domaining will wipe you out financially.

•••
The most significant caution about registering nTLDs without a vibrant aftermarket is to put some limits:

1) how much you are willing to risk on any individual NTLD (as with any .COM) realizing the possibility no end user may ever be willing to buy your domain

2) limit how many new TLD domains you acquire realizing that most end user aftermarket sales continue to be in .COM and that alternative extensions have a track record of not being received well by end users

3) limit annual renewals by not acquiring domains with greater than $50 annual renewals and having a budget as to how much annual renewals will be in total (future cash flow will be significantly impacted by renewal costs

4) don't continue buying more and more NTLDs if you find your domain portfolio is not generating positive cash flow (sales less commissions less new acquisition and renewal costs). If you continue to buy domains no one wants and renew them, eventually domaining will wipe you out financially.

I agree with much, but I also have to say that I personally find it significantly easier to sell new gTLDs to end-users, than keyword based .COMs, for the same amount of invested money.

Ps. I am not taking about 3 and 4 character or good one-word .COMS which we all know are easier to sell than hotcakes... I'm mainly talking about decent 2-word keyword based names, that you might pick up from a snap service etc.

•••
As search engines treat keywords in domain name with a little salt and keyword in tld with no salt, for me dot com is always going to be the choice, even for emd lovers.

•••
I would imagine a sizeable weight giving to exact match nTLD domains in the future, they can hardly ignore it.

•••
Just google "coffee club" in international Google (.COM)

Coffee.club second position from top.

•••
I'll comment re your 6th point, below.

"6. Is the TLD (extension) that you are researching popular?

A) Is it popular all over the world including China and India, or will it have any geographical limitations?
B) How popular is the extension overall? How many names have been registered in total?

I am using this tool to research each extension and it's renewal statistics etc:

Your point re popularity is well taken and a number of the extensions represent very popular potential marketplaces world wide.

Some of the new gTLDs might actually be more recognized on their face value and, more inviting and memorable than for example . net .org, and a number of the country codes.

IMO the accelerated success of a number of the new gTLDs is how well advertised they are in their respective online and hard copy trade / marketplace publications, website links, etc to familiarize THAT marketplace with their existence and their availability!

IMO next year a modest number of end-users will be acquiring one or more new gTLDs that they are NOT aware even exist today.

You are no doubt creating an important initial awareness of select new gTLDs when you direct contact end users.

I've spent a fair amount of time the past month on the ntldstats site, a very useful resource.

Well done post!

•••
I'll comment re your 6th point, below.

"6. Is the TLD (extension) that you are researching popular?

Your point re popularity is well taken and a number of the extensions represent very popular potential marketplaces world wide.

Some of the new gTLDs might actually be more recognized on their face value and, more inviting and memorable than for example . net .org, and a number of the country codes.

IMO the accelerated success of a number of the new gTLDs is how well advertised they are in their respective online and hard copy trade / marketplace publications, website links, etc to familiarize THAT marketplace with their existence and their availability!

IMO next year a modest number of end-users will be acquiring one or more new gTLDs that they are NOT aware even exist today.

You are no doubt creating an important initial awareness of select new gTLDs when you direct contact end users.

I've spent a fair amount of time the past month on the ntldstats site, a very useful resource.

Well done post!

Thank you very much!

•••
Great informative post. Thanks a lot.

•••
Amazing thread and advice from very experienced domain investor from 3 years ago, and still very actual when it comes to new gTLDs today :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back