NameSilo

New gTLDs renewal numbers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How Many gTLDs Are You Planning to Renew?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 100%

votes
    20.0%
  • 80-90%

votes
    16.0%
  • 60-70%

votes
    12.0%
  • 50%

vote
    4.0%
  • 30-40%

votes
    0.0%
  • 10-20%

votes
    16.0%
  • None

votes
    8.0%
  • I dont own any gTLDs

votes
    24.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

OTF

Established Member
Impact
As the time is here to renew many of the generic domains, I was just wondering if there are any official numbers available.

While, I'm not planning to renew 100% of my gTLDs I will or already have renewed most of them and will let go just a few.

How about you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think it's accurate to compare .xyz to .tk. For starters, .tk is a country extension which doesn't even look or sound good at all. If I remember correctly, almost all of the .tk domains were free? I think .xyz makes for a genuinely good 3-character generic extension, which could stand next to .com and .net. But only time will tell for .xyz.

•••
I'm actually a possible end user for MobileHome.plumbing but didn't get around to doing anything with it the first year. :(

I still have a few days to decide if it is worth the renewal feel.

•••
I like .xyz and despite the free regs which I was never offered, IMO it will do just fine in time. Better than some of the other crap out there.

Slight derail// I've personally found if you have any problems with your register and their domains they go directly to the source and get it solved for you. I've contacted them on a couple issues so thumbs up to them!

•••
I don't think it's accurate to compare .xyz to .tk. For starters, .tk is a country extension which doesn't even look or sound good at all. If I remember correctly, almost all of the .tk domains were free? I think .xyz makes for a genuinely good 3-character generic extension, which could stand next to .com and .net. But only time will tell for .xyz.
I do because it involves exactly the same dynamics that drove .xyz growth (free registrations). The renewal rates on free registrations tends to be quite low. The .tk ccTLD also has some paid registrations.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
.xyz has many paid regs... ;)
And its registration volume has been inflated by Network Solutions' opt-out unpaid registrations and many discounted registrations. The interesting thing about renewal rates is that unless a domain name is valuable, developed or used, it is often dropped. The development rates for .xyz are quite low.

Regards...jmcc

•••
And its registration volume has been inflated by Network Solutions' opt-out unpaid registrations and many discounted registrations. The interesting thing about renewal rates is that unless a domain name is valuable, developed or used, it is often dropped. The development rates for .xyz are quite low.

Regards...jmcc

30 years of .com and .xyz and other extensions are being debated? Again baby steps... :lookaround:

•••
30 years of .com and .xyz and other extensions are being debated? Again baby steps... :lookaround:
The current domain name market is a far more different commercial environment to the one at the launch of .com TLD. I'm not comparing the .xyz launch or usage with the initial .com (which actually predated the invention of the World Wide Web).

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
There will be a few clear winners in the ngtld competition. Personally, I feel the long extensions, e.g: .plumbing (is that a real one?), are not that good.

davids.plumbing is silly in my opinion. Yes, it makes sense.. Yes it reads well.. BUT people are already used to affordable, short, generic extensions.. .com, .net., .org

Long-term I think .xyz .web .work .club will all be winners. Short, general, and affordable renewals.

Last edited:
•••
Where are you seeing it's gone up last 2 months? In last 4 months down over 4,000. Unless you're looking at some stats I'm missing.

Bigger hits today:
http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

Then noticed on the other chart, the overall numbers going down for the first time:
https://ntldstats.com/tld
3/17 - 4,701,179
3/18 - 4,711,411
3/19 - 4,720,844

Blog post about drops - http://onlinedomain.com/2015/03/20/news/guru-lost-1624-domain-names-today/

Actually, looks like overall numbers still going up, ntldstats updated stats.

Ugh
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/press-here/A-185000-Bet-on-XYZ--297092121.html

Last edited:
•••
"BUT people are already used to affordable, short, generic extensions.. .com, .net., .org"

There are a LOT of assumptions in that statement. It might be true for domainers and a tiny subset of end users. Not so much otherwise.

•••
I renewed around 50%, mainly the domains i can use for business down the road or the good ones i picked up that werent registry reserved.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back