Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
Speculations on Domain Industry

There is one thing which is crystal clear about domain industry :

• Dot Com investors hate the new gTLDs!

Why? Because before the new G era, "the domain investors" invested on millions of dot Com domains, even a regular domainer today held hundreds of domains in their portfolio.

The new gTLDs have been the biggest nightmare for the serious dot Com investors and will continue to be..

When you see the statistics, dot Com domain sales dropped dramatically since the new gTLDs introduced to the market.

The demand on new extensions excited millions of people all over the world since it is an unexplored land on Web.

There are thousands of generic names available to be registered.

Comparing to dot Com, where people registering 4 letter non-sense domains or ridiculous made up (brandable) names...

Most of you know that travel.agency sold for 3000 USD in the beginning of this year.

Earlier travel.agency sold for $9999 at Flippa in May 2016.

And today Travel.Agency directs to a ridiculous domain name : http://www.jdjdjdjdjdjdj.com/

Search and see yourself...

I personally believe that the owner of travel.agency is still the same person since the day it was registered.

Pure speculation that hits the top news on every domain related media available on the Web.

Ever since the news about travel.agency, there have been dozens of topics created on domain related websites..

Nice move by dot Com speculators against their biggest competitor: the new gTLDs.

But not smart enough..

The first domain was registered back at 1985 and it was a dot Com, yet majority of the Million Dollar domain sales took place between 2007-2017.

The industry needed 22 to 32 years to reach a maturity.

Wait and see the victory of new gTLDs...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do high renewal domains really sell ?
Don't know the precise answer, Kate, but they do tend to renew better than the low cost registrations.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The .COM has a volume of investors that the new gTLDs does not have. I've been examining growth trends in the legacy gTLDs (COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO) and the new gTLDs since 2014 for some work I am doing here and the effect of the new gTLDs on the legacy gTLDs is not as profound as some might think.

And yet .COM has seen the Chinese bubble which involved millions of domain names which largely dropped on renewal anniversary.

This something else I work with (domain name statistics at a country level). What you think is happening is not happening. At country market level, new gTLDs are rarely above 5% of a country's domain name footprint. Some new gTLDs have become almost completely dependent on particular markets (.TOP with China etc) and have minimal shares outside that market.

Millions.

.COM is a generic TLD. Most of the new gTLDs, other than XYZ, are not and are closer to being domain hacks in nature.

Growth in some new gTLDs has flatlined. There is not enough registration volume to make the gTLD financially viable in some cases.

ICANN launched too many new gTLDs too quickly and in too short a timeframe. The people responsible were quite clueless and their projections about the size of the new gTLDs were sheer numerology by spoofers who hadn't a clue about how the domain name market had changed drastically in 2010.

There was an artificial scarcity of good domain names in .COM and the other legacy gTLDs because Domain Tasting was breaking the domain name lifecycle and good domains were not being deleted and going back into general circulation. Much of a day's domain name drop was being hoovered up by drop catching registrars who would place these domain names on PPC and hold them if they made enough revenue to cover the registration fee. Those that didn't were deleted in the five day window. It didn't cost these registrars anything for the dropped domains. ICANN was shamed into stopping Domain Tasting by imposing a restocking fee that added a cost to Domain Tasting. This effectively killed Domain Tasting and, with it, the demand for some of the new gTLDs.

Some new gTLDs are successful. However some are not.

Regards...jmcc
Thank you for your post.

You have really nice statistics on your website, wish I could see more extensions listed there.

You have right points when thinking in the eyes of registrars but what do you think about how new gTLDs will do in an investors eye?

I think some gTLDs will be successful and some will not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back