IT.COM

What should I do with 1.5K $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd spend some time learning how to find Geo/Industry .com and a few two keyword domains that make sense. Target a few large cities with expireddomains.net searches and filtered for deleted and expiring domains, then gradually build a portfolio.

If you study a little bit first and pick good city/industry or state/industry domains. You can turn that 1,500 to a portfolio of a 150 names that you can gain the experience of contacting and selling to endusers. Unless you buy absolute crap, It would be pretty hard to strike out and not at least make your money back offering these names for low to high $xxx a piece.

I dont see how you get anything (experience or educational value added) out of buying a liquid domain for 1k plus and flipping it maybe to double up if the price happens to go up in the next year.

I think learning to how really dig for gems, find end users, approach end users, and negotiate sales will prove to be more valuable than trading to other domainers. Learn the basics then start buying more expensive domains with the returns and experience.

Thats exactly how I got started with about $200 and a bunch of godaddy coupon codes a couple of years ago, and have been stacking up my account and portfolio with house money ever since.

•••
Even though $1.5 K is not a huge budget, you can still build a small diversified portfolio for potential great returns with less risk. Using the whole budget to buy one name and hoping it sells quick for a profit is more like gambling, not domain investing.
Some ideas:
keyword brandables, good pronounceable 5Ls are still affordable and often times have liquid value as well, catch drops after doing research (have targeted buyer, i.e. .com name with other businesses using the name in other extensions), geo+keyword etc...
Learn and learn and research before you start buying. namePros is a great school :)

•••
:?: What should I do with 1.5K $?
:!: Nothing, as long as you have this question.

Last edited:
•••
Right now the fastest elevator about to explode is the llll.org chips After initially shooting up after all bookings about four months ago ,Some of the sale junkies pushed the market down with thousands of rounds of amo,reacting to time decay and potentially having to renew the domains for four times the Registrars sale price ,instead they bailed at around 15 bucks, Most takers were in fact chinese investors and some of the sellers were members on this site. Prices are starting to rise again ,thing is to get any supply you will have to pay around 40-50 bucks ,if you compete with drops at godaddy you may get a few at 30 bucks ,all this being said ,you can expect these to explode at the end of the year after you have more selling at the 50-75 level from the last buyers before closeouts ,so bang for buck value start picking some up now and scale up buy them any chance you get. IMO a year from now your looking at 250-350 each. Good Luck ben

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Do nothing. You have $1500 with you. Rinse and Repeat.

You still have $1500 with you. :)
When you do this, you are actually losing your money, even though the figure may still be the same in your hand. :|

•••
I'd spend some time learning how to find Geo/Industry .com and a few two keyword domains that make sense. Target a few large cities with expireddomains.net searches and filtered for deleted and expiring domains, then gradually build a portfolio.

If you study a little bit first and pick good city/industry or state/industry domains. You can turn that 1,500 to a portfolio of a 150 names that you can gain the experience of contacting and selling to endusers. Unless you buy absolute crap, It would be pretty hard to strike out and not at least make your money back offering these names for low to high $xxx a piece.

I dont see how you get anything (experience or educational value added) out of buying a liquid domain for 1k plus and flipping it maybe to double up if the price happens to go up in the next year.

I think learning to how really dig for gems, find end users, approach end users, and negotiate sales will prove to be more valuable than trading to other domainers. Learn the basics then start buying more expensive domains with the returns and experience.

Thats exactly how I got started with about $200 and a bunch of godaddy coupon codes a couple of years ago, and have been stacking up my account and portfolio with house money ever since.
Geo names are too hard to sell easy to buy after a while after you accumulate a few hundred of them you will start paying about 30 bucks a day renewing your portfolio and if you work hard you may sell one or two for 300 every month ,that model just don't work ,that's why they are easy to buy. Stick with what is liquid and trading up , If you want to buy geos ,I can sell you a gaggle of them cheap,learn from my stupidity

•••
Read the forums. Determine what sells and what sits on the shelves. Carefully spend $500 on domains, count it as a loss, then begin again with the leftover $1,000. Nothing motivates one to learn like taking a loss.
I agree with Shane...Thats the right way to start...Unless you take chance and see,you will not come to know insides of the domain industry..Be cautious and make smart moves..

•••
Read the forums. Determine what sells and what sits on the shelves. Carefully spend $500 on domains, count it as a loss, then begin again with the leftover $1,000. Nothing motivates one to learn like taking a loss.

He can just send me the $500 check and we can call it his learning curve.

•••
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.

See ,I would suggest you to invest in one/two word descriptive generic premium domains with popular extensions.It doesn't matter whether these domains are hand reg. or bought from after market.Since such kind of domains are always valuable with the web space increasing with each single day.What you do today decides what you're going to get in future.Since maybe what isn't in demand today might be selling for huge prices in the end user market in the coming time.That is what investment is all about.

•••
Or you could put in an offer for my site (in my signature) :P

If you know how the monetize the traffic properly it would be an awesome investment for you. If you are not sure how to monetize the traffic then it's probably not the best investment for if you want a quick return on investment.

•••
Shane gived very good advice "Nothing motivates one to learn like taking a loss"
So to boost my adrenaline and take some "loss" I decided to invest very similar amount into the risky startup investment fund, which pays daily dividends, keep in mind: "never put all eggs into one box". So the risk is high and its to early to say something, but its very enjoyable to see how every day $30 drop into the wallet.
I do not recommend anyone to follow me, but if someone is interested to take a "loss", all info can be found on my recent twitter posts.

Last edited:
•••
I'm new to NamePros but I'm already addicted. I've spent the better part of the day reading tons of threads. I have two suggestions: If you're not an active domainer then purchase a quality LLLL.com and just sit on it. If you are active then I recommend godaddy closeouts. I've picked up many hidden gems there. For example, I purchased LibertyCannabis.com for $9 and a little over a year later sold it for $800.

•••
I'm new to NamePros but I'm already addicted. I've spent the better part of the day reading tons of threads. I have two suggestions: If you're not an active domainer then purchase a quality LLLL.com and just sit on it. If you are active then I recommend godaddy closeouts. I've picked up many hidden gems there. For example, I purchased LibertyCannabis.com for $9 and a little over a year later sold it for $800.
Sick flip bro. Pics or it didn't happen. Kidding. Yeah it looks like 4L's are getting cheaper but best to pick one with vowels, ideally.

•••
KUDOS ! I do the same 5-6 years now, only buy LLLLL.comS $50 or less, mainly to dev, did sell one and got couple inquiries on others, how much TIME did it take you to find that name?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back