Dynadot

Cancel Sale of Domain on Afternic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lincolnstraight

Impact
Is it possible to cancel the sale of a domain on Afternic?

A few days ago, I received an email from Afternic that stated one of my domain names have sold. I don't recall ever listing the domain or any others for that matter. I’ve had the domain for 25+ years. I contacted them and explained that I did not authorize this sale, but they have insulated that the sale will go through regardless. Here's their latest response:

"We can confirm yourdomain.com was listed for sale on Afternic through your GoDaddy account using GoDaddy's List For Sale on the 12th of January 2022 with a Buy Now price of $xxx. Someone met the asking price and the domain sold for $xxx. As the domain's nameservers were not pointing to one of GoDaddy Aftermarket-approved nameserver endings, the commission fee was xx%, leaving the net proceeds at $xxx.”

Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to accept this? I have no idea how these domains would have been listed.

Thank you for any advice. =Lincoln

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Name of Registrar?
There is other people who are listing 100,s thousands of unlisted names also ones their not authorized to list.
I would check all your names at afternic and dan.
Do you have them listed anywhere for sale?
I’ll tag James. @GoDaddy

•••
Name of Registrar?
There is other people who are listing 100,s thousands of unlisted names also ones their not authorized to list.
I would check all your names at afternic and dan.
Do you have them listed anywhere for sale?
I’ll tag James. @GoDaddy
based on the email they sent the name is with godaddy and he probably forgot that he listed it. The only other way it ended up listed is if someone hacked his godaddy account. This was not listed via afternic, this was listed via godaddy.

He probably is like a lot of people that sell names. After it sells, they feel they could have gotten more, and now he is forgetting things.

Honor the sale

•••
Hopefully an update. Cant assume the guy forgot and has sellers remorse.

•••
The domain transfer is complete. While there's no regret since it sold for a mid-four-figure sum, parting with it after 25-years wasn't easy. Communication from Afternic was primarily through standard emails about this matter. It seems likely that a former colleague, who was involved in a project with me around that time, may have listed the domain with a buy-it-now price. I still retain the .NET, .ORG, .US, and .BIZ versions of the domain, yet the most valuable .COM version has been sold. Thank you for the responses. It's just one of those things.

•••
Very little point in holding on to the rest of the extensions unless they have a particular association with the domain. You could try offering as a batch sale to your .com buyer for a reasonable 10 or 15% of the .com sale price. Don't forget the .com sat there (apparently unknown) without a sale for however many years.

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully an update. Cant assume the guy forgot and has sellers remorse.
Once the listing was made via someone with access to the domain itself in GoDaddy, you have no choice but the assume either they listed it or their account was hacked. The seller just updated that someone they worked with listed it.

Sellers remorse is a big problem in this business and I don't blame ROTD and others for sometimes demanding a seller have them hold the name if they will auction it off.

If Fast Transfer was not a thing, a huge amount of sales would face issues because sellers would want out as soon as someone paid their asking price without negotiating.

In fact, it is always best to list your names with a BIN. Do you know why most sellers don't do it? Because of the fear if someone will want to pay more than the BIN. A lot of people would have sold more names if they posted a BIN. Even on NP, I bet the fixed price sections gets more actions than the listings without a price.

Anyway, I drank too much caffeine. Sorry.

•••
Glad that got all straightened out.
Congrats on the sale

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back