IT.COM

What should I do with 1.5K $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buy 3-5 quality two-word .com domains on Flippa marketplace, it's a good time to buy on Filppa great bargains can be got these last few weeks.

You can get yourself 3-5 two-word .com's for 1.5K, the type that have liquidity and can be sold easily again.

I picked up hydrogencar .info for $1 few days back, this is easier than picking money of the ground.

•••
Let's face facts $1.5k isn't enough to invest in domains these days.

Unless you get lucky :)

•••
Speaking from personal experience - buy traffic domains with revenue. These type of names are always liquid, in both bad and good economies. Generics, even good ones, lose value during uncertain times such as the market we have now.
Or if you know how to drive traffic, buy good domains and bring traffic in.
Then you can have both good name and traffic.:)

•••
Yes, domains like XEWU are in that price range. :)

Are domains like Xewu.com that bad of CVCVs? I like it because it can be branded similar to zero. Xewu calories? lol

A more practical use, Xewu.es happens to be a Chinese restaurant in Barcelona.

save a.PNG

Not sure if the restaurant is trying to say No Small portions or if this is even an accurate translation.

I would have taken a chance at the domain for $700. Mind you, I don't any experience with CVCVs, so it would have been more of an impulsive uneducated purchase.

•••
Are domains like Xewu.com that bad of CVCVs? I like it because it can be branded similar to zero. Xewu calories? lol

A more practical use, Xewu.es happens to be a Chinese restaurant in Barcelona.

Show attachment 25857
Not sure if the restaurant is trying to say No Small portions or if this is even an accurate translation.

I would have taken a chance at the domain for $700. Mind you, I don't any experience with CVCVs, so it would have been more of an impulsive uneducated purchase.

I have some experience in this niche and I must say, those are bad investments. They are the kind of domain that sits on a shelf for many years. New investors need to grow, not wait.

•••
Edit:

Here's what I would do with *your* $1,500 if I were *you*:
  • Do 1-2 hours of research everyday on Flippa, etc. to see what's selling and for how much.
  • Follow advice on this forum about spending $200-$500 first to see what kind of domains you can buy. Aim to get domains that are 2-3 words, that include keywords with high search volume, and that look nice. Make sure you get a Google Adwords account so you can check monthly search volume stats.
  • Aim to pay around $50-$150 per domain within that first $500 batch. Or if you want to save, then go for straight registrations at $10-$30 each.
  • Get a feel for the experience of spending $500 on domains (either at first reg. or in aftermarket).
  • Use NAMECHEAP for .com, .io and .tv domains. They also have a promo code going on so you can get a .com domain for just $9.84. Namecheap has the lowest price for .io and .tv domains, and they provide a superior service (fast, free transfers, competitive prices, easy UI/UX).
  • Use various tools like estibot and freevaluator to get an estimate of appraised value. Also check domain age.
Note: Edited because someone called me out for "spam" because I mentioned my Flippa auctions. No links in this post, just sharing basic info.

Last edited:
•••
I would buy a domain earning $40+ per month. Above.com is a good place to buy domains with verified traffic+revenue.
I would search on this forum, flippa and sedo as well.

For bigger profits in a shorter term you need to work more in searching the market to know which type of domains are sold more, then you need to look to buy such a domain for a very low price. Buy cheap and sell, never ending cycle. Personally I prefer the first option, I would buy a domain with revenue and wouldn't try to sell it. Because I am lazy :)

•••
Do nothing. You have $1500 with you. Rinse and Repeat.

You still have $1500 with you. :)

worst case scenario = best case scenario = You still have $1500 with you

•••
•••
Demand seems to have tanked for CHIPS on Flippa. I had a decent domain with vowels (zvoto.com) up for sale and it sold at my breakeven point. I also sold Presale.io for a loss at $30. Domains are not doing so well lately, and it could be tied to the fact that China's economy is pulling back. Same goes for Europe. It looks like established sites with income/traffic continue to sell for at least several thousand. A new investor with $1500 would be better off buying a site with some income stream rather than a bunch of domains right before demand dries up in the market.

•••
If I had 1.5k right now....I would buy some lll.ins.

•••
Plan a strategy first and buy only when you are really sure! Do your own researches first and don't forget to follow your gut instinct! Good Luck!

•••
•••
This is "just a theory" but I'm seeing price deflation in non-tangible tech related assets like domains, tech stocks, and a cash/credit crunch happening globally (2016 vs. 2015).

I revise my earlier comment. If I were you I would save that $1500 in physical cash and wait to see how the broader markets behave this month and next. If China and the EU continue to have financial and currency problems, the price of domains will decrease further. Meaning that if you buy now you'd be overpaying with less profit potential if flipping later. There is a major global financial crisis looming if you read and believe the non-mainstream news (e.g. I read a lot of articles from zerohedge).

This bearish view is why I'm starting to unload most of my domains.

•••
I'd say stick with the old advice of buy low and sell high. Don't invest your 1.5K in one domain, especially if you're new to the game. Invest in multiple domains and try out the market.

•••
Buy lottery tickets, everyone seems to think domaiming is easy

•••
•••
I think you
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.
should invest in multiple domains instead of buying a single domain

•••
A short 4L.com like Xewu.com in theory "looks good" and should retain value, ceteris paribus.

But again, what if market conditions don't stay the same and demand declines, which then deflates prices. Just looking through the recently closed auctions on Flippa I saw a 4L.com close for only $400 even though the seller posted examples of similar domains that sold for $1000+.

Today we already see what happens when the ECB fails, driving both the EUR up (which they didn't want to do) and gold higher (meaning investors are headed away from risk assets and towards safe haven stores of value).

To use the "Xewu.com" example, it would be appealing to Chinese investors with hot cash to burn, but what happens without them to support demand. They are having issues (from what I understand) with their economy and the gov't is cracking down on capital outflows.

All these factors matter. As someone who has only been on the selling side, I cannot fathom paying $1500 for 1 or 2 domains. I would much rather use that cash to buy physical gold if looking for something to retain value, which I'm doing, and I would rather put in the work and creativity to find new or pending drop domains.

For example, I saw "giddi.com" close for about $200 on GoDaddy auctions. I had my eye on that because my former employer owned it in his portfolio and let it expire. The auction is no longer publicly available but you can look up the whois if you're curious. That's an example of 1 domain that's affordable and with higher resale value.

•••
$1500 Dollars is a lot of money. Therefore is seems wise to compare and contrast alternatives that are even outside the realm of domains. Good cases can be made for buying gold, or even silver, or my FAV spread, longSilver/short Platinum (super long term); also for remaining in cash and/or just waiting (in a deflationary environment, saved money is worth more later); or one of my FAVs, the stock market (I bot MDBX @ .0097 yesterday, hoping to catch a low, only to see it @ .0075 today); I have even seen an interesting piece of real estate offered for $500.00 (I am kicking myself for not buying, but only time will tell if the new owner ends up a winner). This is beginning to be an interesting discussion ;)

•••
$1500 Dollars is a lot of money. Therefore is seems wise to compare and contrast alternatives that are even outside the realm of domains. Good cases can be made for buying gold, or even silver, or my FAV spread, longSilver/short Platinum (super long term); also for remaining in cash and/or just waiting (in a deflationary environment, saved money is worth more later); or one of my FAVs, the stock market (I bot MDBX @ .0097 yesterday, hoping to catch a low, only to see it @ .0075 today); I have even seen an interesting piece of real estate offered for $500.00 (I am kicking myself for not buying, but only time will tell if the new owner ends up a winner). This is beginning to be an interesting discussion ;)
Agreed. Another top thread on Namepros is about how 4L.com CHIPs are "crashing" (see: Garbage in Garbage out thread)

Yeah I'm long gold/silver, weighted towards gold now but looking to pick up more silver. Gold looks too overbought now that a bunch of banks like Deustch Bank are recommending it as insurance. Deflation and currencies dropping vs. USD could lead a pullback in gold to $1200-$1240 level. As you can tell by my comments I'm pessimistic about domains/low-traffic sites, which is not in my best interest to admit since I'm also a seller, but just being honest.

•••
"don't put all your eggs in one basket"
Buy a lot cheap short domains, you can always liquidate them anytime.
If you have a success sale of some of them, you will return your capital.
Try to choose Chips plus Western premium, No (aeiouvqwyjkzx)
3L.us
3L.mobi
4L.org
NNLL & LLNN.com Chips
5L.com with pattern.
4&5N.info
6N.org Chips
6N.cc Chips
LNN.org, NNL.org
LNN.cc, NNL.cc
All the above domains still cheap.
I have many success sales from those types of domains, with excellent profit.

Last edited:
•••
Fresh data on the "Relative Abundance of Elements in the Earth's Crust" shows Platinum closer to Silver than Gold, so the"smart/intuitive" bet would appear to be long Silver. The case of the Silver Sandbaggers is legendary though, so I would bet the smart money is shorting Platinum. But I forgot to mention one of my FAVs, stamps - the USPS has a new Elvis stamp - nobody cares - they have a $25 Graceland cancellation which may prove interesting - but the hot item is the $12 Jenny Souvenir Sheets. All 100 of the "right-side-ups" have not been accounted for yet so a $12 bet could still win a $50,000.00 JackPot ! And with $1500 working capital one could keep buying and re-cycling postage until one has acquired one, or even a few. Nobody Cares.

•••
O.K. the cheapest three letter words are in the new extensions on sale for a dollar or two. I could share my end user ideas which would make all readers Supremely Confident but then all the sales/deals might end...

•••
But the Sales/Deals will NOT end. Reg is simple ele form filling, U do all the work, the data updates/is collected automagically.....this never should have cost more than $1-2 to begin with, per year? Try MBE for 10 yrs or longer....how these ADDY gods have been able to get away with this for so long seems almost criminal.....but lower reg fees and permanent "sales" are here to stay.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back