Dynadot

What should I do with 1.5K $

NameSilo
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't buy chips.

I'd also argue that you should do hella research first because the quickest way to lose money is to go in blind.

•••
What's your suggestion?

Read the forums. Determine what sells and what sits on the shelves. Carefully spend $500 on domains, count it as a loss, then begin again with the leftover $1,000. Nothing motivates one to learn like taking a loss.

•••
It's very easy to burn money in the beginning when you're understanding this industry. If I could hit the reset button and start over this would be my approach.

buy 10 "GOOD" brandable marketplace names that are already approved for $300. If you sell one @ $1,500 it covers your initial investment. Worse case scenario you could resell at initial cost to recoup investment.

buy 25 well researched handregs for $250. Reg 5-10 good GEO domains and try to sell at least one @ $250 in the beginning to recoup initial cost.

buy one well researched domain from Namejet for $150. Worse case resell at initial cost.

buy one well researched domain from Namejet for $300. Worse case resell at initial cost.

buy one well researched domain from Namejet for $500 Worse case resell at initial cost.

Spreading out your investment is the best thing you can do. Spread out correctly and you can always get back your investment. If you do good research and don't buy junk I can guarantee you will make money.

•••
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.
>>>>>

You should definitely buy a good name and brand it. Spend $1400 on a quality name and then $100 on a Wordpress template, and make something good where you can make the money back, and then sell it later on.

•••
•••
Speaking from personal experience - buy traffic domains with revenue. These type of names are always liquid, in both bad and good economies. Generics, even good ones, lose value during uncertain times such as the market we have now.

•••
Chips my friend. Research, buy in bulk offload. Rinse and repeat. Take out from some of the profit after third round, invest in 1 or 2 solid ones to hold.

•••
I'd go on holiday. Somewhere hot. Maybe Spain. Then when I got back I'd think "That was nice" and be content that I hadn't wasted my money. But that's just me. Seriously though I think Shane's idea was good. Only spending a fraction of the overall budget to test the waters as it were. Alternatively you could diversify.

•••
Do nothing. You have $1500 with you. Rinse and Repeat.

You still have $1500 with you. :)

•••
Or you should invest $1500.00 in actual physical gold. Always a good investment.

•••
Neither are in his budget.

for $1500 he can get a cvcv..if he is lucky..:D

Might as well say he could get a LLL, if he's lucky. :P

@Shane Bellone I appreciate 99% of your comments. This is the 1%. Comparing the likeliness of finding a CVCV under $1,500 to finding a LLL under $1,500 is like comparing a the chances of getting blackjack to the chances of winning the megamillion jackpot.

The last time somebody got "lucky" buying a CVCV under $1500 was reported the day OP posted this. Several other CVCV sales have been reported under $1,500 within the last several months.

cvcv.PNG

It's been 4.5 years since the last LLL was reported under $1,500

aaa.PNG

I'm not necessarily suggesting the OP goes out and finds a CVCV. I'm just saying the likeliness of him finding a CVCV within his budget is in fact a reality. Where as finding a LLL is not.

•••
@Grilled Jesus you really need to check out the word "sarcasm" on dictionary.com. Afterward you will appriciate @Shane Bellone's comments. ;)

•••
go for oneword domains..or 4l.com with cvcv pattern..

Neither are in his budget.

@Grilled Jesus you really need to check out the word "sarcasm" on dictionary.com. Afterward you will appriciate @Shane Bellone's comments. ;)

While it very well may be sarcasm, a new member is here asking for investment advice. How are they to detect the sarcasm when a pro comments on another members advice saying it's not within their budget when in fact it is?

I have the utmost respect for Shane. I also respect facts. My apologies if everybody else read Shane's comments as sarcasm, I just wanted to clear the misconception that CVCV's are out of the OPs budget. They may be rare, but they're out there.

•••
:?: What should I do with 1.5K $?
:!: Nothing, as long as you have this question.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Are domains like Xewu.com that bad of CVCVs? I like it because it can be branded similar to zero. Xewu calories? lol

A more practical use, Xewu.es happens to be a Chinese restaurant in Barcelona.

Show attachment 25857
Not sure if the restaurant is trying to say No Small portions or if this is even an accurate translation.

I would have taken a chance at the domain for $700. Mind you, I don't any experience with CVCVs, so it would have been more of an impulsive uneducated purchase.

I have some experience in this niche and I must say, those are bad investments. They are the kind of domain that sits on a shelf for many years. New investors need to grow, not wait.

•••
Edit:

Here's what I would do with *your* $1,500 if I were *you*:
  • Do 1-2 hours of research everyday on Flippa, etc. to see what's selling and for how much.
  • Follow advice on this forum about spending $200-$500 first to see what kind of domains you can buy. Aim to get domains that are 2-3 words, that include keywords with high search volume, and that look nice. Make sure you get a Google Adwords account so you can check monthly search volume stats.
  • Aim to pay around $50-$150 per domain within that first $500 batch. Or if you want to save, then go for straight registrations at $10-$30 each.
  • Get a feel for the experience of spending $500 on domains (either at first reg. or in aftermarket).
  • Use NAMECHEAP for .com, .io and .tv domains. They also have a promo code going on so you can get a .com domain for just $9.84. Namecheap has the lowest price for .io and .tv domains, and they provide a superior service (fast, free transfers, competitive prices, easy UI/UX).
  • Use various tools like estibot and freevaluator to get an estimate of appraised value. Also check domain age.
Note: Edited because someone called me out for "spam" because I mentioned my Flippa auctions. No links in this post, just sharing basic info.

Last edited:
•••
"don't put all your eggs in one basket"
Buy a lot cheap short domains, you can always liquidate them anytime.
If you have a success sale of some of them, you will return your capital.
Try to choose Chips plus Western premium, No (aeiouvqwyjkzx)
3L.us
3L.mobi
4L.org
NNLL & LLNN.com Chips
5L.com with pattern.
4&5N.info
6N.org Chips
6N.cc Chips
LNN.org, NNL.org
LNN.cc, NNL.cc
All the above domains still cheap.
I have many success sales from those types of domains, with excellent profit.

Last edited:
•••
I'd spend some time learning how to find Geo/Industry .com and a few two keyword domains that make sense. Target a few large cities with expireddomains.net searches and filtered for deleted and expiring domains, then gradually build a portfolio.

If you study a little bit first and pick good city/industry or state/industry domains. You can turn that 1,500 to a portfolio of a 150 names that you can gain the experience of contacting and selling to endusers. Unless you buy absolute crap, It would be pretty hard to strike out and not at least make your money back offering these names for low to high $xxx a piece.

I dont see how you get anything (experience or educational value added) out of buying a liquid domain for 1k plus and flipping it maybe to double up if the price happens to go up in the next year.

I think learning to how really dig for gems, find end users, approach end users, and negotiate sales will prove to be more valuable than trading to other domainers. Learn the basics then start buying more expensive domains with the returns and experience.

Thats exactly how I got started with about $200 and a bunch of godaddy coupon codes a couple of years ago, and have been stacking up my account and portfolio with house money ever since.

•••
I'm new to NamePros but I'm already addicted. I've spent the better part of the day reading tons of threads. I have two suggestions: If you're not an active domainer then purchase a quality LLLL.com and just sit on it. If you are active then I recommend godaddy closeouts. I've picked up many hidden gems there. For example, I purchased LibertyCannabis.com for $9 and a little over a year later sold it for $800.

•••
Depends how important the $1500 is to you. I'm thinking it's pretty important hence the post.

Stay away from domains that are considered liquid now but had no value 1 year ago.

Be prepared. Spend on 1-3 good names instead of frittering it away on 20-30 iffy ones. Buy stuff that makes sense in your first language/ area of expertise.

One of the biggest mistakes I see is basic English speakers registering correctly spelled but badly phrased domains.

•••
go for oneword domains..or 4l.com with cvcv pattern..

•••
•••
•••
If you don't have any or much knowledge in domains then I would hold the money and do some serious research in domaining and business outside of domaining, geo-polictical etc.

You can get some good advice on here, but filter it from investors and their own opinions. (as it could be biased)
Or choose it and find your own evidence based material.

Thinking beyond domaining is essential. Maybe find a few niches and narrow your searches in business.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back