NameSilo

question What do you do after registering a Hand-Regged.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoneDeranger

Established Member
Impact
So I hand-registered a couple domains, and they have no history, no age, no backlinks.. What do you do after registering a domain? Try to sell it immediately? Its seems hard mainly because there is nothing "good" I could say on the domain.. But it's own name.
Plus do people buy these newly regged domains?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So I hand-registered a couple domains, and they have no history, no age, no backlinks.. What do you do after registering a domain? Try to sell it immediately? Its seems hard mainly because there is nothing "good" I could say on the domain.. But it's own name.
Plus do people buy these newly regged domains?

Thanks!

1 in a million, that's your chance of selling a hand-registered domain, immediately afterwards.

now the chance of someone contacting you after you've registered that domain and saying they have big buyer interested in purchasing it, if you get a certified appraisal is 1-1000.

and the chance of someone trying to sell you SE submission services or a hosting plan, is about 1-1000

and the chance of a wannabe broker saying they can sell your newly registered domain for 15% commission
is about 1-1500

and the chance that, that newly registered domain is worth more than reg fee is 1-3000

and the chance......

:)

•••
1 in a million, that's your chance of selling a hand-registered domain, immediately afterwards.

now the chance of someone contacting you after you've registered that domain and saying they have big buyer interested in purchasing it, if you get a certified appraisal is 1-1000.

and the chance of someone trying to sell you SE submission services or a hosting plan, is about 1-1000

and the chance of a wannabe broker saying they can sell your newly registered domain for 15% commission
is about 1-1500

and the chance that, that newly registered domain is worth more than reg fee is 1-3000

and the chance......

:)

Altough your reply is creative and cynical and funny at the same time... Why reg domains in the first place?

•••
If the domain was never register before, you have to ask "Why did 6 billion people pass this domain up but I am going to be the only one to see value in it" Here lies the odds.

•••
I usually only hand reg names if I have a load of specific potential buyers who could be interested in the name

•••
Altough your reply is creative and cynical and funny at the same time... Why reg domains in the first place?

maybe you shouldn't register any domains.
maybe you should just purchase them from other sellers. :)

I mean, if you don't know why you're registering it, then why should a buyer purchase it?

but your original question is about what to do immediately after regging a domain

the first thing I do, is park it.
why?
so it can be seen and hopefully while I'm waiting on an inquiry, someone will visit the page and click on a few links.

but all that other shit I said is true too.
as I regged a name this past Friday and already received email solicitations for webdesign and seo placement for it.

imo....

•••
If the domain is remotely decent at all, then it probably was registered before. The previous owner just didn't renew it or do anything with it. Are you sure it's never been registered before?

At this day in age your best bet is probably to buy it and develop it. Most domainers don't do that though, so they buy it and then park it. There is nothing that says you can't start contacting end users right away, but some people at least wait 60 days so they can transfer it to another registrar for the new buyer if required.

•••
maybe you shouldn't register any domains.
maybe you should just purchase them from other sellers. :)

I mean, if you don't know why you're registering it, then why should a buyer purchase it?

but your original question is about what to do immediately after regging a domain

the first thing I do, is park it.
why?
so it can be seen and hopefully while I'm waiting on an inquiry, someone will visit the page and click on a few links.

but all that other shit I said is true too.
as I regged a name this past Friday and already received email solicitations for webdesign and seo placement for it.

imo....

Yeah, happend to me too. I did my research over the domains, including potential users.. But it feels a bit of "nerve" to offer a domain you have just registered. Am I the only one that feel that way?

If the domain is remotely decent at all, then it probably was registered before. The previous owner just didn't renew it or do anything with it. Are you sure it's never been registered before?

At this day in age your best bet is probably to buy it and develop it. Most domainers don't do that though, so they buy it and then park it. There is nothing that says you can't start contacting end users right away, but some people at least wait 60 days so they can transfer it to another registrar for the new buyer if required.

Developing a domain into a website is one of my goals for the Q1 of 2015. No doubt.

BTW, when I check a domain in who.is, it says the creation date is the date i have registered it. Yet when checking Archive.org it shows this domain had a page in 2010. Any ideas why, and which site should I follow?

•••
You can try using whoisrequest.org instead of who.is. They offer more details about the domain than who.is, such as the nameserver history, so you can get a better idea of how long it has been regged and when (based on when it had active nameservers), where it was parked, etc.

•••
I rarely register a hand-reg. When I do, I open up a bottle of champagne to celebrate how clever I've been :)

•••
The Best Advice is to Request a Grace Delete.
I hand regged a name last night.

•••
This really puzzles me - johname really has a point when he says it's odd nobody (out of 6 billion people) has remembered registering this domain name - but you can predict some trends if you are minimally aware.

for instance, everybody is into genomics nowadays, can you predict wow society will change in order to deal with this humongous paradigm?
Behaviors will be shaken, current insurance/health care procedures will be obsolete - but this won't be the end for mankind, we will adapt - new trends/procedures will be developed.

Once you are aware of your propensity to this disease or that predicted life degrading vulnerability in ONE diagnosis, you will have to react - insurance companies will eventually create life-wide plans so you can start paying while you are healthy...

If you start to think about this paradigm, chances are you will stumble into one unforeseen service that will have to have a domain name that is now just sitting there.

•••
This really puzzles me - johname really has a point when he says it's odd nobody (out of 6 billion people) has remembered registering this domain name

What about those who forget to renew a domain name? People are assuming that fresh registrations are the first registrations, when in reality they could have had one owner since 1998 and recently dropped, or had several previous owners.

•••
And not one of those previous owners could sell the domain.
Think about that one.

People reg domains every single second.
A year later, people drop those domains.

So that another person can reg it and think they will make millions.

•••
HugeDomains.com seems to manage this process quite well. Picking up drops at cost price and putting them up for sale for $XXXX. Of course they drop a few each year, as well.

•••
I honestly don't hand reg a domain unless:
I have seen that it was one time used, by searching on archive.org or just regd by a domainer. Then decide if the domain name is good enough that other end users would buy it or just search for another domain.

but when i do hand reg a domain its because i have use for it either developing the domain with a website to sell or a future business to earn money for my Super Expensive Hobby( aka domaining)

I love to catch a domain that a domainer gave up on and see potential in it and buy it from them.

My favorite saying "Another Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure" It gets me in trouble so many times....

•••
And not one of those previous owners could sell the domain.
Think about that one.

People reg domains every single second.
A year later, people drop those domains.

So that another person can reg it and think they will make millions.

Because every domain that drops is owned by a domainer isn't it, sigh.

•••
•••
what do I do after I regd a name?..hhhmmmm.....let me think....
I sit down, drink a coffee and spend the next couple of days deleting spammy emails from people wanting to develop it, to buy it, to appraise it...
yes...that's what I do

•••
what do I do after I regd a name?..hhhmmmm.....let me think....
I sit down, drink a coffee and spend the next couple of days deleting spammy emails from people wanting to develop it, to buy it, to appraise it...
yes...that's what I do
Same here, I keep getting spam about craigslist advertising right after regging a name. The sharks start to circle. LOL

•••
You can try using whoisrequest.org instead of who.is. They offer more details about the domain than who.is, such as the nameserver history, so you can get a better idea of how long it has been regged and when (based on when it had active nameservers), where it was parked, etc.
Great tool! Thank you very much sir

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back