IT.COM

alert Do not transfer any domain if they just renewed during the 45 day Auto-Renew period.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
do not transfer any domain if they just renewed during the 45 day Auto-Renew period.

yesterday I transferred a .com to dynadot but no one year renewal added.

@Dynadot

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/domain-not-renewed

My transfer was successful, but why wasn't a year added to my domain?​

Updated: 2024/01/30Viewed times: 2738
Save
There are three potential reasons why a domain name may not have a year added after a transfer:
  1. Certain top-level domains (TLDs) do not add a year when they are transferred to another registrar. These domains include (but may not be limited to) .UK, .LT, .AI, .NL, .LV, .CH, and .AT. For .UK and .LT, there's no cost to transfer to Dynadot as they both are pushed to us by your current registrar with no additional year added. .NL, however, can be transferred to us normally, but doesn't have a year added initially because it is limited to a maximum of 1 year of registration by the registry. The price you pay to transfer goes towards an automatic renewal that our system will complete for you closer to the expiration date of your domain. For .AT, .CH, and .LV, domain transfers do not extend the domain registration period as they do not include a renewal upon transfer.
  2. Domains that are already at or very close to their maximum registration time (this can be up to 10 years depending on the TLD), will not have a year added during a transfer as that would increase the total registration period past the maximum amount of time. You can see what the maximum registration time for a domain is by going to the domain's page and looking at how many years of pricing are listed on its "Domain Pricing" table (you can click on the domain from our TLD list); for example, .IM only lists three years of pricing because that is its maximum.
  3. The domain was renewed after it expired (during its renewal grace period) and then transferred within 45 days of the renewal. Technically, this is called an "auto-renewal". If a domain is auto-renewed and then transferred within 45 days after the renewal, then the domain will not be renewed for an additional year after the transfer.
    This does not make sense because it seems like your domain should get two years: one for the renewal and one more for the transfer. However, this is the operational procedure of the central registry. This is not our policy, we do not get reimbursed by the Registry and gain nothing from only giving you one year. In fact, we have to deal with all the customers upset with this counter-intuitive policy of the central registry.
    Here is what ICANN has to say about this situation:
    "Registrants who transfer names within the 45-day Auto-Renew Grace Period should check with the registrar from which they are transferring regarding a possible refund. Even though losing registrars receive refunds of auto-renewal fees they have paid to the registry in these circumstances, not all registrars make refunds to customers. The effect of failure of the losing registrar to refund is that the registrant pays registration fees to both the losing registrar (for the auto-renew) and to the gaining registrar (for the transfer), but only receives a one-year extension of term."
    (Full text can be found here: http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-06jun02.htm)
    To avoid this unpleasant situation completely, please start your domain transfers at least 2 weeks before the expiration date.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please refrain from transferring to Dynadot, as your domain may not be extended for one year upon renewal. I am wondering is only for Dynadot, or any registrars?

yesterday I transferred a .com to dynadot but no one year renewal added.

@Dynadot

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/domain-not-renewed

My transfer was successful, but why wasn't a year added to my domain?​

Updated: 2024/01/30Viewed times: 2738
Save
There are three potential reasons why a domain name may not have a year added after a transfer:
  1. Certain top-level domains (TLDs) do not add a year when they are transferred to another registrar. These domains include (but may not be limited to) .UK, .LT, .AI, .NL, .LV, .CH, and .AT. For .UK and .LT, there's no cost to transfer to Dynadot as they both are pushed to us by your current registrar with no additional year added. .NL, however, can be transferred to us normally, but doesn't have a year added initially because it is limited to a maximum of 1 year of registration by the registry. The price you pay to transfer goes towards an automatic renewal that our system will complete for you closer to the expiration date of your domain. For .AT, .CH, and .LV, domain transfers do not extend the domain registration period as they do not include a renewal upon transfer.
  2. Domains that are already at or very close to their maximum registration time (this can be up to 10 years depending on the TLD), will not have a year added during a transfer as that would increase the total registration period past the maximum amount of time. You can see what the maximum registration time for a domain is by going to the domain's page and looking at how many years of pricing are listed on its "Domain Pricing" table (you can click on the domain from our TLD list); for example, .IM only lists three years of pricing because that is its maximum.
  3. The domain was renewed after it expired (during its renewal grace period) and then transferred within 45 days of the renewal. Technically, this is called an "auto-renewal". If a domain is auto-renewed and then transferred within 45 days after the renewal, then the domain will not be renewed for an additional year after the transfer.
    This does not make sense because it seems like your domain should get two years: one for the renewal and one more for the transfer. However, this is the operational procedure of the central registry. This is not our policy, we do not get reimbursed by the Registry and gain nothing from only giving you one year. In fact, we have to deal with all the customers upset with this counter-intuitive policy of the central registry.
    Here is what ICANN has to say about this situation:
    "Registrants who transfer names within the 45-day Auto-Renew Grace Period should check with the registrar from which they are transferring regarding a possible refund. Even though losing registrars receive refunds of auto-renewal fees they have paid to the registry in these circumstances, not all registrars make refunds to customers. The effect of failure of the losing registrar to refund is that the registrant pays registration fees to both the losing registrar (for the auto-renew) and to the gaining registrar (for the transfer), but only receives a one-year extension of term."
    (Full text can be found here: http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-06jun02.htm)
    To avoid this unpleasant situation completely, please start your domain transfers at least 2 weeks before the expiration date.
I don't think any of these are unique to Dynadot. I believe these are pretty standard policies.

Did section #2 or #3 apply to your domain?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I don't think any of these are unique to Dynadot. I believe these are pretty standard policies.

Did section #2 or #3 apply to your domain?

Brad

1. One domain expired @ namebright, expiration date is 2024 Feb
2. We renewed it @ namebright, new expiration is 2025 Feb
3. We transferred it to Dynadit, paid $10+
4. The expiration date is still 2025 Feb

•••
So, then wouldn't the following apply?

It would seem that any refund would need to be via NameBright, aka the losing registrar.

I don't think this issue really has much to do with Dynadot.

Brad

•••
So, then wouldn't the following apply?

It would seem that any refund would need to be via NameBright, aka the losing registrar.

I don't think this issue really has much to do with Dynadot.

Brad

Namebright renewed my domain after I paid

Dynadot only transferred my domain without a renewal.

I am letting people to get alerted as they might face the same problems. They should not transfer the domain to dynadot if they just renewed.

Last edited:
•••
You have to watch when you pay a renewal on an expired domain, then transfer it, as the renewal may have not have actually been performed prior to the transfer (it can take some time).

In that case, go back to your original registrar and request a refund on a renewal that was not processed.

This is probably what happened in your case and you need to hit up Namebright for a refund on the non-renewal.

Last edited:
•••
When you renew and transfer-out less than 30 days after the renewal at current register a year is not added. For example renew at namebright then transfer-out within a few days, a year is not added. I've never gotten a year added to my .coms when I've renewed at current register then moved out like the next day. This is standard across the board for .coms.

•••
Namebright renewed my domain after I paid

Dynadot only transferred my domain without a renewal.

I am letting people to get alerted as they might face the same problems. They should not transfer the domain to dynadot if they just renewed.

After the transfer, namebright was refunded for that renewal, so contact them and ask for a refund. Dynadot is not at fault here. It's ICANN policy + (losing) registrars greed/negligence.
https://www.icann.org/en/announceme...ithin-the-auto-renew-grace-period-6-6-2002-en

Last edited:
•••
No. I think the correct statement is :do not transfer any domain if they just renewed during the 45 day Auto-Renew period.

•••
No. I think the correct statement is :do not transfer any domain if they just renewed during the 45 day Auto-Renew period.
changed

•••

And if you do, remember to get a refund on that non-renewal.

•••
Ideally if you transfer-out it's better to not renew at current register then plan moving out days after and instead get the domain unlocked and transfer-out so a year is added. Some registers lock expired domains but are required to unlock it upon request and give auth. code. Namebright might let you get code and move an expired domain out but if not support is required to offer auth. code and unlock it. What a mess though kind of a silly thing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
are you sure you can get refund?
It might not be possible to get a refund, I mean you paid NB to renew then moved to DD, the only way would be if you could get dynadot to transfer back to NB and refund you. It really might not be possible to get $'s back.

•••

ICANN says you should. Will you? No idea.

Honesty and common decency says they should refund it without you even asking. And definitely if you do.

Last edited:
•••
Reading the NB term, IMO, Just contact them, there is nothing to loose.
refnd.png

•••

They should, as they never paid the registry for the renewal service and are essentially just stealing money.

The reason this happens is that registrars usually wait to process renewals and then do so in large batches. If you transfer out before that batch process hits, you lose the renewal and the registrar probably hopes you'll just forget about it so they can pocket the cash.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Honesty and common decency says they should refund it without you even asking. And definitely if you do.

And if a registrar refuses to refund on a service they never performed and never paid the registry for, then you know not to do business there, as they are engaging in theft.

And it makes you wonder what other shady things they're doing.

Last edited:
•••
It's not shady or misconduct of the losing registrar. This should be common knowledge by now if you're serious about domains. It has been discussed at length before and can be looked up at ICANN.

Loosing registrar is refunded, gaining registrar is charged by them.

The refund should be requested but is not mandatory. You have no legal grounds to demand one as the initial renewal is an agreement between you and the loosing registrar. The refund they get from ICANN if/when you decide to transfer again is an agreement between ICANN and the loosing registrar which you are no part of.

•••
It's not shady or misconduct of the losing registrar. This should be common knowledge by now if you're serious about domains. It has been discussed at length before and can be looked up at ICANN.

The refund should be requested but is not mandatory. You have no legal grounds to demand one as the initial renewal is an agreement between you and the loosing registrar. The refund they get from ICANN if/when you decide to transfer again is an agreement between ICANN and the loosing registrar which you are no part of.

Actually there are legal grounds and it's called unjust enrichment. ICANN clearly states that the year added by the losing registrar is cancelled, therefore the service is (retroactively) not performed and should be refunded.

•••
Just want to say thanks for the heads up -- I was not aware of this "policy" as this scenario has never happened to me (I don't do many registrar transfers). I hope NameBright does the right thing and issues you a refund.

•••

I think you need a refresher on basic North American law. Even ICANN states they *should* refund you, but will not enforce this through the registrar agreement. That doesn't mean they haven't broken any state or federal laws by effectively stealing renewal fees for a service they never performed or paid the registry for.

Someone needs to open the curtains to this unethical practice so we all know which registrars to use and which to dump.

•••
Actually there are legal grounds and it's called unjust enrichment. ICANN clearly states that the year added by the losing registrar is cancelled, therefore the service is (retroactively) not performed and should be refunded.

Exactly and this "registrars shouldn't refund customers for money they stole for services they never rendered" is a pretty bizarre argument.

And I would bet serious money that if a large corporation holding significant domain holdings transferred out a pile of expiring domains, and effectively lost a pile of money to non-performance of renewals, I would guarantee the registrar would be proactively contacting them and letting them know about the incoming refund. Big smile!

Small fry like us, they just close their eyes and hope no one notices so they can pocket the illicit funds.

I should also note from personal experience that I have asked for refunds multiple times when I have sold a domain that I had recently renewed, and in 100% of cases I got the money back. If your registrar refuses, then I think it might be time to look around for a new one, as their business ethics are definitely in question.

Last edited:
•••
Actually there are legal grounds and it's called unjust enrichment.

I think you need a refresher on basic North American law.

I agree they should refund you, and there are legal grounds to demand so. Give them enough shit and they will usually.

My point is, it has nothing to do with ICANN regulation but more with 'unjust enrichment ' like @pb pointed out.

Wether that's the case (I'm not defending registrars who won't refund), is debatable.

Say I transfer a domain, then sell it and the new owner transfers it again. Just because the registrar gets a refund doesn't mean they didn't render a service when I initially transferred it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back